Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Remember Me? ❯ Sorry, didn't see the sign ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

This story won't leave me alone until I write it. It's turning out pretty good, in my opinion anyway. Please don't write it off from just the beginning.!!



Cold wind blew people down the street towards warm beds and cozy fires, but the road there was a miserable mix of ice that, though beautiful, ensured that it would be awhile before they got toasty again. Snow flakes were already drifting down from a hard grey sky, accompanied by freezing rain that chilled through the thickest winter coat. Few were out or about in the winter weather, those that were wished vainly they could duck into the inviting little shops that dotted this part of the city. Most of those little shops were closing at this hour now, shutting there doors and adding to the people scurrying home.

The little bookstore/café was hardly crowded. Its aisles were quickly emptied as the hour drew on and people hurried for one last cup of cocoa and warmth before venturing out into the building storm. The white flakes were thickening outside, illuminated in the dark by the old fashioned lights of the store that gave off a buttered glow that contrasted nicely with the outside world. This was not lost on the few remaining patrons and they looked imploringly at the man standing behind the counter for one more moment to warm their hands and feet before joining those who slide on the icy sidewalks. Cye Mouri, try as he might, could not turn them down.

" Alright. One more minute then I must close down." Cye smiled at the three remaining customers as he slapped the hand of the one loafer that was trying to sneak a cookie from under his nose. " Stop that Ryo, or I'll make you pay for them."

He shook his head at the pout his friend gave him and turned to handing out one last round of hot chocolate and showing the last person out the door. Quickly, he turned the sign to closed and heaved a sigh of relief. It had been a rather busy day despite the chilly weather.

"Ryo..." Cyes voice held a warning tone to it as the man once again dipped his tanned hand into the cookie jar that sat on the counter. " Esteemed photographer they call you, cookie swiping bum I say."

" Oh come on Cye, just one?" Ryo flashed him his best puppy eyes in a last ditch attempt, rejoicing as Cyes shoulders slumped. He wasted no time in grabbing the same cookie he had been reaching for the last hour or so. " I don't know why you throw such a fuss, no one eats these things." He said as he raised it to his mouth, only to have it snatched away before it could touch his lips. " Hey!"

" Well, if that's the way you feel."

" Oh, come on Cye.." Ryo smiled cheekily as Cye handed back the cookie.

Rolling his eyes at Ryo as the man happily nibbled his sweet, Cye reached down and lifted a large box onto the counter. Flipping open the worn flaps he began pulling out a mix of balloons and streamers.

" Alright, now you've been refueled, lets get to work on these decorations. We don't have much time."

Together they began putting up streamers and blowing up balloons. After about an hour of mishaps and twenty busted balloons, they finally put up the finishing touch. The banner was stretched across their heads, proudly proclaiming the occasion over two very smug men.

" And they said we couldn't do it." Ryo smirked as he kicked a piece of torn balloon under the table.

The door flew open as a tall man burst into the room, followed by another man and a very cold breeze.

" Happy Birthday to me!"

" Kento!" Cye swung around and rushed to hug his friend. " Good to see you."

" Hey man, happy birthday." Ryo followed a little more subdued, but was swept up into the hug too with a squished Cye.

Sage closed the door behind him, pushing out cold wind and blowing snow. Turning, he smirked at Ryo who was patting Kento on the back still caught up in the bear hug. He tried to skirt the three men, his eye on the cake set out on the center table, but Kento was far quicker than he looked and soon he had all three in a warm hug.

" Good to see you guys too."

" You'd see us even better if you'd let us go." Ryo squeaked out.

" Oh, sorry guys." Kento released the three and smiled widely. " Ah, nothing like a grou..Oh presents!" Kento hurried to the table that held four brightly wrapped presents all addressed to him.

" Kento, your 28 now, when are you gonna act like it?" Cye questioned with a quirk of an eyebrow as he followed him.

" Ah Cye, you know I was never good at acting." Kento winked at him and turned back to his presents.

" Not yet, we're having cake first." Ryo's smile was wolfish as Kento turned to pout.

" This is for that last birthday party with threw for you isn't it? Not my fault the cake disappeared. Still say it was that giant cat of yours."

" Was that the last time we saw each other?" Sage looked at the other three. " When was that? Two years ago?"

" Yeah, guess we have a lot to catch up on." Cye said with a cheerful smile.

" And what better way to do so then over cake." Ryos voice was mischievous as Kento stopped in mid-reach for a rather large gift.

" Aww."

All of them gathered around the small café table, a space left unconsciously between Kento and Ryo. Talk was quickly turned to the lives they had been living since the last they had seen of each other. It was usually only special times like this that they took out of their time to get together, over last few years even less of that time was spent in each others presence. Though the conversation was seemingly easy flowing and that of friends there was a prevailing uneasiness that cramped their voices, and their hearts.

" So, Sage Date is going to be a married man." Ryo smiled across the table to his friend.

" Not yet, perhaps soon though." Sage cast a sidelong look over at Kento. " But a friend of mine did tell me some interesting news on the way over here."

" Hey now!" Kento looked over at Sage. " Since when does your tongue wag." He laughed lightly, he flicked frosting at his friend, hitting the end of a dignified nose. Sage froze, fork halfway to his open mouth.

" Well, if you won't tell them." Sage daintily swiped the chocolate off the end on his nose, a wicked little grin appeared on his face and he flicked it back toward Kento.

"Well," Cye looked expectantly between them, " Speak!"

" Alright Cye, jeesh, I thought I was impatient. Well, you all know my family owns a line of restaurants. Well, umm, instead of taking over the business, I've decided to become a geologist." He smiled at the surprised faces around the table and continued. " I just completed my last class to get my degree, and I have a job lined up."

" Way to go Kento!" Cye cheered proudly.

" Yeah man, that's really amazing news." Ryo reached over to clap his shoulder, but was stopped in mid move by the sound of the bell over the door heralding a newcomer to the party.

" I'm sorry bu-" Cye froze half way out of his chair, the words dying on his lips.

No one said a word for a moment, the room turning colder as the boy in the door held it open, a blush staining his pale cheeks as he glanced back at the sign. Noticing the stares that were all burning into him he blushed deeper and stammered out an apology, ducking a blue head in embarrassment.

" I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention, didn't see the sign, umm, sorry agian. Bye."

Everyone remained staring as the door slammed shut, waking them all from their stunned positions.

" No, Wait!" Cye cried out in vain. The boy was already gone, but no one moved when Kento rushed from his seat and out into the cold, searching empty streets. He dejectedly came back in a second later, the boy had vanished.

" Rowen." The words had barely left Ryos mouth in that muted whisper before Sage whipped his head back to him.

"No!" A strong fist impacted hard with the table.

" But it was, it had to be." Cye still stared at the door as if any moment it would open and the boy would appear again. Seeing this Kento gently took his shoulders and guided him back into his chair.

" It was just a coincidence." Sages insistence was harsh and even he winced. None of them spoke. The party mood had all but fled with the innocent intrusion of one boy. Thoughts all started to turn to memories none of them wanted to bring up, a pain that they had banished long ago.

" He's gone." Cyes whisper wafted around them, an echo in their memories from a younger time.

" Maybe not." Ryo lifted his head. A fire was blazing in his eyes that hadn't been their for a long time, determination was something he excelled at.

"Ryo, did you see that boy? He was at the most seventeen." Sage met Ryos burning gaze with his own, a pain that comes only from losing someone you love so deep in both their eyes. " Rowen. Is. dea-"

" Don't say it!"

"-d." Sage leaned heavily back into his chair.

A silence that was becoming to familiar to them descended, blanketing them with a thick apprehension. This was ground they had not tread since the day that had torn a giant hole in there lives.

" There is only one way for us to be at peace with this, and it isn't in ignoring it as we have for so long." Kentos words were devoid of the cheer they had carried not long ago. " We have to go back."

He met each of their eyes as he said this. They all could see the conviction in his eyes, and the need to do this, for himself, and for the friend he would always miss, but he could see the indecision in theirs.

"Hey, aren't we having a party here?" Cye tried for a laugh, but it came out as choked breath.

" Yeah, so we were." Sage faked a grin that was horribly strained and turned toward Cye with a lightness of heart that wasn't there.

Kento's eyes narrowed. He could see what they were doing and he was hurt, not for himself, but for Rowen. He knew that they all loved the boy they lost, but he was disappointed they could not face their mistake, or what they should have done long ago. He stood, gathering his coat and walking to the door, sparing only a tiny smile as Ryo joined him. Suddenly he didn't feel his twenty-eight years, but much older.