Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Echoes Of Yesterday ❯ Echoes of Yesterday ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I own nothing of the Ronin Warriors.
Author's Note: Okay, here's something a little different from me. Some of you know my feelings towards Mia. Some of you don't, but either way here's a fic. That contains and gives some… repeat: some credit to her. Another news flash… omg! It's not yaoi/yuri! Don't worry I plan on not making this a habit. I just had an idea that wouldn't go away. Kind of like an awful itch that you can't scratch.
No worries though Mia fans! I didn't bash her or any thing… I was on my best behavior.

Echoes Of Yesterday
by: wingsofsakon

The beginning… I remember it well for the most part. Or should I say my soul remembers most of it since I don't recall many images of it. The beginning of a new life and an end to an old one. A devastation on reality and one to my heart. Now days I sit here in this old house. Where it's quiet and the only thing I can truly hear is… echoes of what once was.

In one moment I let down my guard and they were too busy defending themselves. That they couldn't help at the time. I want to say it was my entire fault that it happened, but I know deep down that it was just a turn of fate. A cruel dirty turn of fate that cost everything. My guard went down and I didn't know I was spotted off in the tree line. I was watching the battle from a far and suddenly… everything went out of focus and soon to black. When I awoke… things were not as I remembered them.

It was half lit and the stale air smelled of torture, pain and sorrow. Warm yet cool chains bound my wrists and feet. The heat from the room made it even harder to breathe and the sweat was already soaking my clothes. There was no doubt about it… I had been taken capture and was alone for the very first time.

In the shadows footsteps circled. Then a voice broke the silence.

"You're the one that's always with them. You never fight with them, but are always there. A simple distraction amongst boys of war. I'm sure they have a reason why they kept you around, but it was never a reasonable one. Women do not belong in battle. I'm sure they have figured that out by now and was just waiting for something like this to happen. It's like having a coward lead a group of soldiers. Pointless… and not very effective. So, why don't you just tell me what I want and you can save yourself from a man's torture. Where are they hiding?"

"Who?"

"Don't play dumb with me. I know you know where they are. After they realized they couldn't win. They ran and left you to die. So, tell me where they are."

"You mean they fell back and are regrouping… they could be any where."

"… Never mind the answer. Like I said you are just a simple distraction. To keep you around they must cherish something as boys do. You will indeed come in handy later on. There will be no need to find them. Young men have much to learn." The voice said as he left.

Once again the silence hit the room. Time passed, but how much I don't remember. The heat in the room had time, reality and consciousness distorted. Where every thing melded together and faded in and out of the room.

Nicks and cuts from running through forest stung as sweat moistened my skin. The battle… they had took off early and left me behind. To fight against an enemy that they knew too little about. Afraid for my safety… or just plain anxious it didn't matter. What had been done was done. With the sounds of war carried in the air and through the trees. I awoke to find an empty campsite.

With out any inhabitation's I sprinted to the sounds. Ignoring and half the time not noticing the branches snapping or breaking. Not realizing I was running through sharp underbrush. That I was ripping through them and they were making fresh wounds in the process.

So, where indeed where they now. My friends… my brothers… what could have been changed to avoid what happened? Perhaps I should have never followed the sounds. Ignored them and sat there and waited to see if we were going to be victorious. Sat there like a coward and not be there for you… any of you. Perhaps… you should have waited until we knew more about them. Then maybe… just maybe I wouldn't have been bait to draw you in.

Because the next time I saw the light of the sun. It was going down and bringing evening into it's midst. Where instead of being chained to a chair. I was dangling from them by my wrists. In the perfect view to see what was to come. In perfect view to be seen as well. Of course instead of letting me go. I watched as tears fell. When you ever so boldly walked towards doom.

Some where near the end my voice had left me. Did you ever know that in battle? You look so beautiful. Each of you doing your best and using such skill and precision. Showing your passion for what was right or wrong. I was always amazed and intrigued whenever I watched. It was like you were delivered strait from the heavens. To be soldiers of the forces that made them.

With out effort it seemed you fought your way closer. Yet… one by one my soul ripped apart as I watched you fall. Although, I knew the ones who had fallen were still alive. Still alive because you, Ryo. You in all your beauty and strength. Kept on fighting and soon showed them the wrath you carried. Although, that to was short lived.

Perhaps if I wouldn't have been screaming. Screaming to tell you I wasn't worth it. I might have been able to warn you. Warn you that you had fate's blade sneaking toward your back. In horror and awe I watched your blinding light fill the sky. Waiting anxiously for it to fade away: only to reveal my nightmare.

When it cleared, you were standing in defeat. Silence took over as your katana left your grasp. In your last gasp… you smiled and fell to the ground to be joined soon by the others. You had won… but had also lost and I gave up. Only to mourn my brothers who gave me so many memories and joyful moments.

How long did I hang there?… This I can't recall either. With out you in my life it seemed so pointless to keep track. I do remember though… that a young girl released me. Who had been traveling to the next small village.

When I stood on the knoll over looking where you lay. I saw all fallen soldiers and the death they now had. All I can say is I'm glad you were my brothers. I'm glad you were there to protect every one and… me. Tears fell as I looked at your lifeless bodies at the bottom.

The evening air split the heavens with the scream of cruelty. Nerves sent shock waves of burning aches. Where open wounds touched the moist air. I stood there alone… so alone.

So, where indeed are my friends… my brothers? Are you in another world? Still together and fighting for the meek and what you know is right or wrong? Is there a tinge of me that has carried over? Are the fates so cruel to let us forget?

This house is so empty but yet I can still hear echoes of what… once was. My soul remembers most of it and I always… let down my guard to hear your voices. That seems to be carried on the wind. I ignore the time and tell myself. That each day brings me closer to you again. Perhaps, next time… I will meet you as a man. Where I can stand by your sides and… protect your backs.