Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family Debts ❯ Part Three ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Family Debts
By Janime
Part Three
The weeks had gone by without any sign of Kiyaa or Jinmin. The Snake-gods were begging to doubt that Parz's brother or the estranged Snake-goddess would ever show up. But Parz continued to warn them.
Essah visited the Koji household every so often to talk to Sekhmet and Parz. Most of the time he talked to Parz. Sekhmet wanted to know how and why Parz and his father knew each other. The unasked questions he had were driving him crazy. Still, he kept silent, deciding that he could wait till after Chadih was safe from Kiyaa.
Chadih woke up in the middle of the night. She looked at her father sleeping peacefully. Chadih carefully crawled out of bed and sneaked out of the room without waking Sekhmet. She went downstairs and into the living room. Parz was standing by the window.
How come she doesn't sleep? Chadih asked herself. "Parz?"
The woman turned around and looked at her. "What's wrong, Chadih?" Parz asked.
"I can't sleep," the little girl replied.
"Why not?"
"I'm worried about my Daddy."
Parz smiled and sat down on the couch. "Come here."
Chadih walked over to the couch and sat next to her new protector. "Did you have a daddy?"
Parz sighed. "Sort of, but not really," she answered. "But I always thought of someone else as my father."
"How come?"
"He took care of me. Taught me how to live and respect life."
"Are you a mommy?"
Parz could feel the sadness swell in her at the innocent question. "I was once. I had a little boy."
"What happened to him?" Chadih asked.
"He's gone."
"You mean he died?"
Parz nodded, feeling the tears in her eyes. It had been so long since she had spoken of her son.
Chadih toyed with one of the couch pillows. "My Mommy died. Daddy told me all about her." She looked at Parz. "Did you know my Mommy like you know my Grandpa?"
"I knew about her," Parz answered. "But I didn't know her like I know your Grandfather."
Chadih looked away. "I wish she was here."
"She is," said Parz. "She's very close. And always will be." She smiled as a thought came into her mind. "I have song that I used to sing to my son. Would you like to hear it?"
Chadih nodded and climbed onto Parz's lap. She started to sing, not knowing that Sekhmet was in the hallway listening. He had woken up and became very alarmed when he didn't see Chadih in bed. He came downstairs and overheard Chadih and Parz talking. But the song Parz was now singing… it was the same song that his mother had sung to Jynavy when she was a baby. And even back then, he always felt that it was very familiar.
Gods, how does she know that song? Sekhmet wondered. He waited until Parz finished singing and walked into the living room.
Parz looked at him. "She's asleep," she said quietly.
Sekhmet looked at his daughter, out like a light in Parz's arms. "That song you were singing," he said. "Where did you learn that?"
"It was sung to me and Jinmin when we were children." Parz answered. "I used to sing it to my son."
"I heard you tell Chadih about him." Sekhmet sat next to her and carefully took Chadih from her. "You know my father. Were you ever in the village I lived in when I was a boy?"
"Perhaps," Parz said. She stood up from the couch and walked back to the window. "I've been to many villages during my life. I've seen shoguns and daimyos rise and fall countless times. And the world has changed so much over six hundred years… and very quickly, too."
Silence hung in the air for a few moments and then Sekhmet brought up a new subject. "How old was he?" Sekhmet asked. Parz looked at him. "Your son," he clarified. "How old was he when he died?"
Parz looked at the floor. "It's going to upset you, but…" She took a deep breath. "Around Chadih's age."
Sekhmet looked down at his daughter. The fear spread through his body and his heart seemed to tighten.
"He wasn't really mine," Parz went on. "I found him when he was a child. He wasn't even a year old."
"Did you ever try looking for his real parents?"
"No, I didn't have to. I could tell that he was abandoned."
"How could you tell?" Sekhmet asked.
Parz looked up. "Left half naked nearing the winter by a partially frozen river? That was enough for me."
"I see." Sekhmet rose to his feet still holding Chadih in his arms. He started to leave then he turned around and looked at Parz. "How did he die?"
"Hunters killed him," she answered. "And before you ask, no, it wasn't an accident." She turned back to her original post and looked out the window.
Sekhmet didn't bother to ask any more questions. He stared at her for a few moments then left the living room and went back upstairs to his bedroom. Sekhmet laid Chadih on the bed and tucked the sheet snuggly around his daughter. She moved a little but didn't wake.
Dayus lost his children. Sekhmet thought. Cale lost his son. Parz lost her son, too. I have lost my daughter twice, yet I'm the only one that got my child back. And I'm not going to lose her again. He sat on the bed and brushed Chadih's hair away from her forehead. I am fortunate… but I can't help feeling guilty.
Parz's eyes scanned the backyard for any sign of her brother or his companion. It was silent and calm, as it was dark; the crescent moon giving what little light it had to show her the area. Not that she needed it. Parz had eyes like a cat. Seeing in the dark was second nature to her.
"Are you going to stay invisible all night or what?" she asked.
Essah materialized on the chair. "I can never fool you, can I?" he asked with a smile.
"No, you can't." Parz smiled herself. "Sekhmet you can, sometimes, like tonight. He is your son. But you won't be able to fool him every time."
"True," said Essah as he stood up and walked over to her. "Sekhmet doesn't know me like you do."
Parz turned and looked at the Snake-god. "Maybe he and I should sit down and compare notes about you."
Essah chuckled. "Maybe you should." He reached out, lightly grasping her chin with his thumb and forefinger. "And maybe it's time that you tell me why you wanted to take him away when he was a baby, even though you said that he wasn't going to replace your son."
Parz brushed his hand away and looked straight into his eyes. "Sekhmet was never going to replace my son. No child would ever take his place. I didn't want to see Sekhmet grow up in that hellhole - rejected, cursed at, and Viraz beating him. That's why I wanted to take him away."
"So you said. But there's another reason, am I right? Please, tell me."
"I can't. Not yet."
"Parz," said Essah. "I didn't want to leave him there, either. But where could I have brought him? Talpa would have found Sekhmet when he was still a child, and then I would've lost my son forever."
"You should have let me taken him." Parz said. "I was strong enough to protect him. You know I could have."
"I know." Essah placed his hands on her shoulders. "But Parz, I didn't want Talpa to find you, either. While I was inside the soul-orb Sekhmet put me in, I was worried sick about what would become of you."
Parz lowered her head. "That night you were imprisoned… I disobeyed you. I followed you and saw everything that happened. And then Sekhmet called out for Talpa before I could do anything to stop him."
"And then you hid."
"With an old friend of yours that I met once, but not under the best of conditions."
"Kaos," Essah smiled. "The Ancient One."
Parz nodded. "I stayed with him for a while," she said. "And I helped him find those who were to become the new Ronin Warriors after the first five that were chosen."
"Ironic that Rowen wears the Strata Armor, and he and Sekhmet are related."
There's more irony than you think, Parz thought.
"When this is over," said Essah. "Are you going to tell me?" Parz nodded and he smiled. "That's my girl."
She looked up, smiled, and hugged him. She thought, I don't want to lose either of you again.
"Honestly," said Cale. "You think that Parz would have told us by now."
"About what?" Dayus asked. The two Warlords were in the kitchen debating what to have for lunch.
"What she and her brother are." Cale munched on a cracker. "They're both half-human, but what's the other half?"
"Why don't you ask her?"
"I'm afraid to."
"Afraid?" Dayus looked at his friend. "You?"
"I'm afraid to insult her."
Dayus smiled. "Do you like her?"
Cale narrowed his eyes. "What does that have to do with anything?"
"I don't know, Cale. You've been acting very weird ever since Parz and Altyno moved in."
Cale shifted in his chair. "Well, it is a little unnerving when two people suddenly appear out of nowhere and end up staying with you to protect your friend's daughter. One we know is half-human, has a psycho for a twin brother who wants to kill all the Snake-gods and has teamed up with an equally crazy Snake-goddess for who know why, and she knows Essah very well. The other one keeps her face covered all the time, barely talks, and takes orders from the first one. You tell me why I shouldn't fell uneasy."
Dayus stared at him. "You need to lay off the caffeine."
"I like my root beer floats. Leave me alone."
You are hopeless. Dayus shook his head and opened the refrigerator. "Eggs?"
"Why not," said Cale. "Please put some cheese on mine."
"Aren't you hot wearing that?" Chadih asked.
Parz smiled and shook her head. "I'm used to it. The heat doesn't bother me."
Chadih shrugged and continued to play with White Blaze and Yuli.
"I was going to ask you the same thing," said Sekhmet. "Both you and Altyno wear those long sleeved outfits, and she wears that mask. What for?"
"You'll know soon." Parz answered as she watched the two children play with the tiger.
"Mama, look. I find."
Parz smiled at the little furry animal meowing in her son's hands. "It's a kitten."
"Kikem?"
"A baby cat." She gently rubbed behind the kitten's ears. "I wonder where he came from?"
"We keep?" He looked at his mother. "Mama, please?"
"I don't see why not." Parz said. "But we're going to have to take very good care of him."
"Parz."
She looked at Sekhmet. "What?"
"You were a million miles away," he said.
"I'm sorry." Parz said. "I was just remembering something." She looked away again and Sekhmet noticed the look in her eyes. The same look that Cale and Dayus had when they remembered their children.
She must be thinking about her son, Sekhmet thought. He felt the tingling in the back of his mind. It's not Essah, he thought and stood up.
"Sekhmet, don't make any sudden moves." Parz said quietly. "Just call them in."
"Chadih! Yuli!" he called. "Time for lunch!"
"Okay!" the two youngsters answered. They started walking towards Sekhmet when Kiyaa and a dark clothed figure wearing a cloak appeared. Parz jumped to her feet and pulled out her sword.
"Greetings, Sekhmet." Kiyaa said. "As I said the last time, I am here to claim what is mine." She gave a wicked smile. "And I would like you to meet someone. This is Jinmin. Parz's twin brother."
Jinmin pulled back the hood of his cloak. Sekhmet couldn't believe the resemblance between Parz and her brother. Their facial features were extremely close, both had the same night sky eyes and black and white streaked hair.
"Hello, Sekhmet." Jinmin said. "And my dear sister."
"Jinmin," hissed Parz. "I'm warning you now. Leave."
Her brother smiled. "Give me one good reason why I should."
Parz narrowed her eyes and said nothing. Sekhmet slowly moved towards the children.
"I wouldn't try anything if I were you, Sekhmet." Kiyaa said. "It would be very unwise to upset us."
"You are not taking my daughter." Sekhmet growled.
Kiyaa looked at him and tilted her head. "Who said that I was taking your daughter?"
Parz lunged at them and Sekhmet ran to Chadih and Yuli. Jinmin blocked his sister's attack and Kiyaa went after Sekhmet. She threw an energy wave at him, sending him flying. He landed hard on the ground, the wind knocked out of his lungs.
"DADDY!"
"Put her down!" Yuli shouted.
Sekhmet looked up only to see the horrified sight of his daughter struggling in Kiyaa's arms. "CHADIH!"
Parz turned from away from her brother. "No!" She tried to go after Kiyaa, but Jinmin knocked her to the ground then floated high in the air next to Kiyaa. Quickly, Parz threw a small ball of light, which entered Chadih and she stopped moving.
Kiyaa looked at Chadih, then to Jinmin. "What did she do to her?" Kiyaa demanded.
"Parz!" Jinmin yelled.
His sister rose to her feet. "Audau te-ma!" she yelled at him. "Audau te-ma!"
A surprised, yet humored look came across Jinmin's face and he answered Parz in the same tongue. Sekhmet looked at the twins as they continued to speak in this strange language. Jinmin spoke to Parz and she nodded.
"Cheloe," she said, apparently agreeing with what her brother had said.
"Cheloe." Jinmin repeated, then he, Kiyaa, and Chadih disappeared. Parz fell to the ground again.
"What the hell…?" Cale said.
All the commotion had brought Cale, Dayus, and Altyno outside to witness Chadih's kidnapping. Altyno walked over to Parz and helped her up. Dayus and Cale walked over to Sekhmet and helped their friend. He broke away from them, walked over to Parz, and grabbed her shirt.
"Why did you let them take her?!" he screamed.
"I had to." Parz answered. "For now she has to stay with them. I'm not crazy about the thought myself."
Sekhmet shook his head. "But Kiyaa-"
"Can't do anything." Parz said. "Sekhmet, I put a spell on Chadih. She's in a trance. They can't break it. Kiyaa won't be able to brainwash Chadih into believing that she is her mother."
"Are you absolutely positive?"
"I swear." Parz answered.
"And if they do break it?" Sekhmet asked.
"Then kill me."
"You can't break the spell on her?" Kiyaa asked. "Why not?"
"There are some spells I know that Parz doesn't," said Jinmin. "And some spells that she knows that I don't. This just happens to be one of them." He left the room.
Kiyaa laid Chadih on the mat. The little girl's eyes closed as if she was a toy doll. Kiyaa pulled the blanket up to her chin and smiled.
Soon you will be calling me 'mother'. Kiyaa thought. And Sekhmet will be gone from your mind forever. She stood up and left the room, closing the door behind her. Then it came to her. The feeling that she had whenever it was her season. Of all the time… she thought bitterly. She couldn't go to any of the males of her kind. She was now their enemy. And humans today no longer believed in supernatural beings other than spirits and from other planets.
But Jinmin was there.
No, she wouldn't dare to be with him. His father's kind and the Snake-gods were eternal adversaries. However, they were partners for now. What could it hurt? Just to get rid of the annoyance at least.
Kiyaa walked down the hall of the old empty building that hadn't been used in twenty years. This was Jinmin's home, his palace. Not that it could use some refurbishing. There were some human materials and other things that were sufficient to their needs: mattresses, sheets, and pillows. Also, there were pieces of furniture that humans used these days. Kiyaa guessed that this old building used to be what the humans called a factory or a warehouse before it was left behind to be forgotten and unattended.
Jinmin's room was at the end of the hall. He had said that it was once an office, whatever that meant. Kiyaa opened the door and stepped inside. The room was very large and divided into separate areas with short walls that came up to her shoulders, almost like a fence. Jinmin was sitting in a unique looking chair designed by humans, drinking wine straight from the bottle.
"Do you have a reason for being in here?" he asked.
Kiyaa kept her distance. "Just wondering what our next objective is."
Jinmin set the bottle on the table, looked at her, and grinned. "Me helping you with your problem."
Kiyaa was surprised, but somehow managed to keep a straight face. "And what's my problem?"
"It's your season." Jinmin stood up and slowly walked towards her.
"Really?" Kiyaa asked backing away. "Only the males from my kind can tell when a female needs a companion."
"So can I," said Jinmin. "With human women, I can tell when it's their time. They don't have that little… warning that they're ready to conceive a child like a Snake-goddess." He moved quick, grabbing Kiyaa around her waist and pulling her close. "It's been a long time for me, and I believe it has for you, too."
"I'm sure you had your share of human women." Kiyaa said. Being held in his arms like this was sending her senses beyond her expectations. "Just as I have had my share of human men."
"True, I've had my share." He kissed her neck, making her shiver. "But none lived to tell the tale. I couldn't take the risk of leaving them with a child."
Kiyaa broke away from him. "So if I'm with you tonight, you'll kill me?"
"No, I won't do that." Jinmin shook his head. "We have a partnership. I helped you reclaim your daughter… somewhat. You still have to help me. That's our agreement."
"After I help you," said Kiyaa. "Are you going to kill me?"
Jinmin walked over to her and lightly touched the scales on her cheek. "No," he whispered. "You and your daughter will stay with me. Do what you wish to the rest of your kind and the humans will bow to us as they once did thousands of years ago to our predecessors."
He leaned towards her, brushing his lips against hers. Kiyaa's instinct took over and she held him tightly as the kiss deepened and went beyond.
Jinmin watched Kiyaa as she slept. The passion they had made was quite amazing as well as pleasurable. The Snake-goddess moved slightly.
No, Kiyaa was more than a Snake-goddess. Jinmin stroked her hair, enjoying the satiny feel of it. She would stay with him. That was definite. Kiyaa would become the Queen Mother.