Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Obligations Of A Lady ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Obligations Of A Lady

Chapter 1

It was quiet as the household hurried to get settled. Before they had arrived, Mr. Corks had rented a house on Belgrave Square. It was nothing short of impressive. Mia had asked him to rent one not too large yet too small for their household. When they arrived in England, it was pitch black, in the middle of the night. The footman hurried to light the oil lamps so that they would be able to unpack and get settled. As soon as all the lamps were lit, Mia allowed her eyes to wander. This was much better then Lord Farring's original house and it was much closer to the shops in town. Eyes widened at the display of opulence before them. The entrance hall was paneled in the richest of mahogany and the floor was laid with an intricate pattern made up of colorful marble tiles. Paints of flowers and fields graced the walls; tall porcelain urns at least four feet in height stood between every picture, holding lovely arrangements of dried roses, daffodils and such. Two chairs, covered in red and gold striped satin, flanked a small round table that was inset with a design of delicate gold filigree. A silver salver, overflowing with cards and letters, sat on its highly polished surface. Mia moved closer to examine the contents. London was nearing the beginning of its season, approximately one month and two weeks away, which must account for some of these envelopes.

She tore one open neatly and read the contents. "Dear Lady Farring, I offer you my condolences for the death of your late husband Lord Farring…" She put the letter back into the envelope and set it aside to read in the morning. Looking at the rest of the letters, she shook her head and rubbed her tired eyes. They all needed sleep before they could deal with anything else.

~*~*~*~*~

Rowan hurried into White's, his long legs carrying him far with every stride. When he got inside, he quickly took off his hat and handed his cane to a nearby footman, his eyes scanning the place for a familiar face. When he finally did spot one, he quickly hurried to him and tapped him on the shoulder. "Sorry old chap but I'm going to require your attention after this,"

Lord Carew, Sage Date, looked up from his game and nodded, "I was going to quit after this one,"

His opponent stared bleary-eyed at Rowan before turning his eyes back to his cards.

Rowan waited as he watched the two play. His mouth itched to tell the news so he dragged one hand over one mouth. "Where's Ryo, Sai, and Kento?" He finally questioned.

"Last thing I heard, Kento was nursing himself in a bottle of port, Sai went over to drag him out of his stupor, and Ryo escaped to Gentleman Jack's for a good boxing after evading another plot ensnare him in the parson's mousetrap,"

"Poor man," Rowan murmured.

"You should watch out yourself, Balogh. If they can't get Ryo, then they'll sure come after you and your endless supply of money." Sage's opponent, Lord Kerl, grumbled as he set down his cards, admitting his lost. Handing over Sage's winnings, Lord Kerl closed his pocketbook and stood up. "I must admit defeat for the rest of this afternoon gentlemen, my pockets cannot handle another lost." He bowed and left.

Putting the winnings into his pockets, Sage looked over at Rowan and arched an immaculate eyebrow. "So what is your news?"

"Lady Farring, the late Lord Farring, arrived last night. No one expected her arrival this early…" Rowan quickly gushed out. "She rented a house down at Belgrave Square,"

"Have you heard what she's doing today?"

"Well, supposedly, she got wind of Farring's debts and is now trying to settle it with everyone that he owed something to. She had a messenger bring a letter to me earlier on and I'm to meet her at three. Which is in…" Rowan took out his pocket watch and looked at it. "Twenty minutes,"

Sage nodded. "Well let's go, we can't keep the lady waiting,"

"You're coming with me?"

"Of course, I want to see for myself just what kind of lady Lord Farring's wife is."

~*~*~*~*~

Mia rubbed her temples gingerly as she requested a maid to bring some more tea. Her temples throbbed as she dealed with debt collectors and sorting out the real vouchers from the fake ones. Lord Farring always signed his gaming vouchers with a little dot at the end so when the real ones was called to come and collect it, she greeted them with hospitality but when those showed up with fake gaming vouchers, dealing with them was horrible. She had to keep an amiable personality and couldn't shudder every time a man decided to allow his gaze run over her figure, undressing her inch by inch with his eyes. She had thrown on a pale gray satin dress with a white lace overtop and a lighter gray sash. Her hair, arranged by Annette, was in a braid…the French braid. It was much more easier then curling her long hair or doing anything elaborate with it. She didn't look that good…men surely were desperate these days. When a knock sounded at the door, she got up and stood erect, her face belying no emotion, covered by a lace veil. "Come in," She called.

Becker handed her a tray containing two cards.

Mia nodded as she read them over. "Show them in please,"

Becker bowed once more before going out the door. After waiting several moments, Mia rubbed her temple with a gloved hand before the doors opened, showing two elaborately dressed gentlemen. Repressing the sigh of tiredness and weary in her chest, she smiled brightly and motioned towards the couch. "Hello, welcome to my home, please accept any beverages as preferable,"

"A glass of port?" The blond man said, boring into her eyes with his violet ones.

"Ah…yes, a glass of port for me also please," The blue haired one said.

Blue hair? "Your hair is a fascinating color of blue Lord Carew," She murmured.

"Er thank you…" The blue-haired man blushed. He cleared his throat and tugged carefully at his cravet. "However, I'm Lord Balogh, he," The blue-haired man pointed to the blond haired one. "He is Lord Carew,"

Mia blushed. "Forgive me,"

"Twas an honest mistake," The blond one flashed a pearly white grin.

Mia turned as the doors opened, Becker arriving with Mr. Corks in tow and a tray containing two glasses and a quarter filled decanter of port. This was the third bottle they had gone through today. She poured herself a cup of Fyra's special brew and watched as Becker served two glasses to the gentlemen before her. "Lord Balogh, in the records left to me by my late husband, he had written a voucher to you the day before he was challenged to a duel. May I see that gaming voucher now?"

Rowan hesitated. First of all, it was strange for a woman, of all beings, to be handling money problems. Second, he remembered what the value of his gaming voucher was. "I believe I've misplaced it Lady Farring,"

"My dear boy, you are lying straight out of your back, now hand over the gaming voucher," Mia quipped.

Rowan and Sage's eyebrows rose at her choice of words.

"Well done milady," Rowan replied as he handed over his voucher. He watched as the lady's eyes flitted over the sheet of paper, not once even indicating how she was feeling.

Mia nodded for Mr. Corks to come over. "Do you take bank drafts Lord Balogh?"

Rowan nodded and blushed. He shouldn't be discussing money matters with a lady of quality.

Mia sipped her tea. "That's good, Mr. Corks, would you be so kind as to write out a bank draft for this young man?"

Rowan cringed at her second reference to his age. Surely she couldn't be any older then him…heck, she seemed younger than him by a few years.

Mr. Corks ripped out a piece of paper from his books and handed it to Lady Farring to sign. She took a pen and scribbled across it, handing it to them when she had finished. Standing up, the gentlemen standing up with her, she handed the bank draft over to Lord Balogh and smiled. "Thank you for coming today, I hope it was no trouble at all gentlemen,"

Rowan and Sage blushed. "No problem," Both answered.

Mia nodded. She curtsied and started walking towards the door. "Forgive me for not being able to entertain you longer but I have many other arrangements," Like clearing my brain before I burst… "I bid thee a good afternoon gentlemen, Mr. Becker shall show you out the door," With that she curtsied once more, slowly removing her presence from the room leaving the astonished gentlemen behind who were shocked at her abrupt leaving. They hadn't even been allowed to finish the port.

Once out of hearing range, Mia turned to Corks, and asked softly, "That was the last of his money from his half wasn't it?"

Mr. Corks nodded. "I'm afraid it was…you still have a few pounds left but with the amounts we've been seeing this morning…" He took off his glasses and wiped them. "His debts will go overboard,"

"We should sell the Farring House then…shouldn't we? I refuse to allow that man touch my inheritance, dead or alive," Her emerald eyes lit up, flaring.

"But what about the tenants?" Mr. Corks asked as he stuck his glasses back on.

Mia rubbed her forehead. "Perhaps you can turn Farring House into a business establishment then?"

Corks shook his head. "That would be scandalous for your reputation Lady Farring,"

Mia nodded as she ran her hands down her cheeks. "I know, I know…So do you think I should dig into my half of the money to pay off my husbands debts?"

Mr. Corks blushed but nodded none-the-less. "It might not do much but dent your account but perhaps it'd be wise to get these creditors off your back,"

Mia shook her head. "The man did this to me on purpose, you know that right?"

"Of course my lady," He agreed.

"I don't understand how he could have lost so much money in just two months time. I know I am only eighteen but if my calculations are correct…I think I would've believed it impossible if I did not handle these matters myself."

"Will you permit me to speak my mind, milady?"

"Of course, Corks, you needn't even ask,"

"Your husband was a wastrel. He had a large inheritance from his uncle but his father gambled it away and now he has been wasting any money he can get his paws on. He gambled more harshly than he ever did in these past few months. I don't think he knew he'd die so soon but - God forgive me for saying this - it's a good thing if he did because in another two months, he probably would have gambled away your money also."

Mia wasn't at all shocked at the way he spoke to her. She was no primped up miss, even if she was only eighteen. "I agree…I don't even know why I am in mourning for that man. I have to wear dark dresses for six months…"

"Why not just give it two weeks?" Corks asked as they entered the library of the house. He blushed. "Forgive me for saying so."

Mia waved it off. "Because it does not seem proper," She frowned. "Though I am very tempted to just throw away this gown and be done with it…Tell me, how many more people are left?"

Mr. Corks shook his head. "I have not checked,"

"No doubt a good amount," Mia sighed. "Mr. Corks, I am going out riding on Lightning, cancel any appointments I may have today,"

"Lady Farring, would you like me to handle these from now on? It is not proper for a lady to be taking on financial matters," Mr. Corks frowned.

"Oh that's just balderdash. Women can handle it just as good as men and possibly even better." Mia snapped. Noting Mr. Corks twitch at her snapping, she sighed, "I'm terribly sorry for my behavior today, I really do need that ride…just to clear my minds. Alright Mr. Corks, I shall hand over all matters to you, but please report back to me with everything that you chance encounter. And I mean everything…"

"Yes milady, it shall be done,"

"Thank you,"

~*~*~*~*~

"She was a mousy little chit wasn't she? I didn't particularly like that large gray dress on her. Her behavior…my, that was utterly horrible. With that blasted veil over her face, I couldn't see her face very well." Sage swung his cane jovially. "But that is over with,"

"Really Sage, I think that's horrible to say of someone when they are in mourning," Rowan chided his friend.

Sage snorted. "She's only mourning out of propriety, how long do you think she would do it?"

Rowan arched an eyebrow. "Are you giving me a challenge?"

"You wouldn't be a gentleman if you refused," Sage grinned.

"Alright, I give the woman until the beginning of the season before she drops her mourning period," Rowan stated as he held out his hand.

"And I give her two weeks…she can't ignore the tea parties that her neighbors would be holding how could she? Everyone would be excited to see what their dear Lady Farring looked like. According to what the bets are going over at White's, either she looks like pit bull or a mouse,"

"You know, she does have a very flattering face under all that lace. I saw her once when I attended their wedding. She has the strangest colored eyes…sometimes they're blue, sometimes they're green and sometimes, it's a mixture of both,"

"Deuce take it, have you fallen for this woman?" Sage asked with a funny look on his face.

"Oh hell no!" Rowan swore lowly. "I'm just saying, aren't you being a tad bit harsh on her?"

"Perhaps. How's this? At least she does not sound like Lady Emileen Garwich."
Rowan twitched. "I understand she was last year's Incomparable and even if her looks did deserve that title, her intelligence - or rather lack thereof - did not. Her vocabulary is not very large and her conversation never wanders outside of the latest gossip. I remember getting the worst ache in my head from just chatting with her for five minutes."

"Now who's being harsh?"

"Oh quiet, I need a good walk in the park,"

"Allow me to join you my man,"

"Do I have a choice?"

"Not really," Sage chuckled.

~*~*~*~*~

Mia allowed Anette to arrange her hair on top of her head in neat yet wild curls. She would be wearing her only riding habit, which was velvet black. Clarisse had gone off in search for a matching hat. "No veil," Mia had instructed. How was she to ride Lightning with a veil obscuring her view? It would not be good at all - she'd fall right off! She quickly climbed onto her horse's back, frowning when she realized she could not go as fast riding sidesaddle. It would be no problem at all though; she just needed to spend some time with her favorite non-human companion. Riding ahead, not even looking back to see if the footman followed closely behind, she turned into the busy street of Hyde Park. Many stared at the burgundy-haired woman atop a majestic stallion, her French made riding suit accenting her body figure. Mia shifted uncomfortably under the scrutiny and wished that people would get out of the way more quickly. While she waited, she frowned as the numbers from the morning meetings with debt collectors and such came up…How could a man lose that much money in such few sittings? Propriety be damned, why should she mourn a man who was only out to get her and her money? She patted Lightning and quickly road away from the line, startling a few strolling couples. "Ha!" She urged Lightning. She had made up her mind. Her father would turn over in his grave if he were to know what her thoughts were right now. He would've turned over in his grave when I had gotten married to the bastard Farring.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Rowan gulped his drink down in one swift chug. "She didn't even mourn a single week,"

"I'm wondering, why are you keeping such close tabs on the widow? You've only met her once," Questioned Sai.

Rowan scratched his blue head. "I beg to differ, I met her at their wedding,"

"And you failed to mention this…why?" Ryo asked from his position over at the couch as he reached out to flick a small piece of lint off his white stockings.

"No reason," Rowan murmured back as he took another swig. "You know the ton is going to love this tidbit,"

"Society loves every little thing they can get…to tell you the truth, I am starting to admire this woman. At least she's true to herself," Sage commented as he came into the room.

"Are you all chatting about the Widow Farring?" Kento's loud voice boomed throughout the room as he came in a few moments after Sage.

"We are. Speaking of her, have you talked to her yet?" Sai asked as he poured himself another glass of the port.

Kento ran a large hand over his face, careful not to touch his stylishly tied Oriental. "No, I mean to tomorrow. I haven't figured out what to say…"

"Don't expect the lady to cry too much over it, she only mourned one day for that man,"

"A dash sensible woman at that," Kento muttered as he took an offered glass of port. "But I must apologize, it's the right thing to do,"

"Ah, I remembered, isn't your sister coming home from Miss Lemonde's School For Girls later this week?" Ryo asked as he turned to Rowan.

Rowan sighed. "You mean Kayura? Yes, and she is suppose to make her come out this season…I'm going to have a horrible time escorting her around. If matchmaking mamas weren't bad enough, now I've got a girl barely out of the schoolroom to take care of. I daresay I hope she has changed." Turning to Sage, Rowan looked at him straight in the eye. "And don't you think of believing that you won the bet because the widow didn't even mourn a single week for her much less two weeks."

~*~*~*~*~

Mrs. Becker looked up as a flurry of emerald green fabric stormed past her, the wearer obviously distressed. "Lady Mia? Are you alright?"

Her answer was a slam of the door.

Mrs. Becker looked at Mrs. Fyra and shrugged. "She'll be alright,"

Upstairs, Mia fumed in her room. She snatched her bonnet off her head and stomped on it angrily. "England has something stuck up it's bloody--."

"Lady Mia?" Came the muffled sound from the other side of the door.

Mia blushed and got off her mulled hat. "Come in," She called out politely as she struggled to do her hat right again. "Stupid bonnet…"

"Lady Mia, there is someone downstairs," Anette poked her head into the room.

Mia nodded. "Thank you Anette, I'll be down right away," Lord give me strength. After making sure Anette left, Mia threw the hat down and proceeded to stomp on it once more before hurrying downstairs to meet her guest.

~*~*~*~*~

Kento paced nervously around on the carpet. "Lady Farring…I am terribly sorry-No, that won't do it." Stopping by the fireplace, he scratched his head. "Lady Farring…please accept my sincerest apologies for killing your husband." He blinked. "*That* was bad…too cold, much too cold,"

"Lord Rei Fuan I take it?" A slender woman asked as she came into the room. "How may I help you?" She smiled, lighting up her whole face.

"Er, Lady F-Farring?" Kento stuttered.

She nodded. "I am she. Pray forgive my appearance; I just came home from a stroll in the park. Would you like a cup of tea?" She motioned towards a tray stocked with tea and crumpets.

He nodded, staring at her emerald gown. "That's a dashing gown,"

She blushed. "Thank you. Please, do sit down," She offered.

Kento quickly hurried to sit down. "I am sorry to be barging in like this,"

"Oh no, that is quite alright, I've had many people at my door since I have arrived," Mia delicately sipped from her cup. All debt collectors. "Anyways, you must be wondering why I am not mourning the proper year for my husband,"

Kento shrugged. "Not really. If you don't mind me speaking plainly…your husband was…"

"A buffoon? An idiot? An insolent waste?" Mia spoke, still sipping her tea. She added more sugar to it.

Kento blinked his eyes, shocked. Most ladies of quality wouldn't dare speak like this. "Y-yes…"

"Excuse my tone and my choice of words Lord Rei Fuan." Mia murmured as she looked up at him.

Kento shrugged. "Those were the exact words I would've chosen,"

A peal of laughter rang from Mia. "I am glad I did not shock you too much," She spoke through her mirth.

Kento chuckled. "To tell you the truth, England needs more ladies like you…I am dreading the season most undoubtedly…tell me, will you be joining the London season?"

Mia shook her head. "I have not yet decided…" She set her teacup down and sat back into the chair. "The ton is not as acceptable as you are of my decision to not mourn a whole year for my husband. I had some trouble in the park today,"

Kento furrowed his eyebrows. "That's horrible…"

Mia shrugged. "A matter I ought not to be stressing over…"

Kento nodded as he sat back into his chair.

"Lord Rei Fuan, I suspect that you did not just come here to meet my acquaintance…may I ask what you did come over here for? If I am mistaken with my estimation, I am terribly sorry," Mia reached for a crumpet and her small cup of tea.

Kento licked his lips as he ran a hand over his mouth. "You are not mistaken, in fact you are very correct with your guess…I did come here for something more dire than a simple meeting,"
Mia's eyes widened as she set her teacup and crumpet down. "Pray do tell,"

"I am…I am…"

"You are…"

Kento took a deep breath. "I am the man that killed your husband. It was my bullet that pierced your beloved husband's heart. I am terribly sorry about it for you must've had a wonderful courtship. Pray forgive me but for someone to marry Lord Farring, he must've done something quite the thing."

With that, Mia rang out laughing to Kento's shock. She stopped a few moments later smiling brightly at Kento. "I am sorry, I must seem most strange and rather cold to be laughing about such a dire matter. Pray allow me to explain…" She blushed. "You must give me your word that you cannot speak a word that passes between us these next few moments."

Kento nodded his promise and proceeded to listen.

~*~*~*~*~

"In the garden that night, I was going to tell him that his advances were futile and that I wouldn't marry him. Somehow, he and my stepmother, Elaine, concocted a plain, I suppose, and trapped me in this marriage. I had no reason but to accept." Mia's eyes glittered.

"But why did you not cry off?"

"Because they would look badly upon me! My father was ashamed that he could not give me a proper introduction into society and have me marry well into the ton. Even then, he definitely would not have approved of Lord Farring. However, that is another story. I married Lord Farring because I had been compromised. If I had cried off, that would put all my father's hard earn respect to the dust. Now, understand this…I may not be mourning for my husband but I felt pity for the man. People aren't born nasty you know Lord Rei Fuan. They are made nasty and I believe that perhaps, Lord Farring had a horrible childhood." Mia blushed. "I have said more to you than anyone else…you are very easy to talk to you know that?"

Kento blushed. "Thank you Lady Farring…"

"Lord Rei Fuan, I couldn't feel anything for my husband but pity. I think that is why I could not mourn more than one day because I couldn't feel sorrow for him. To masquerade around the public as if I cared about the man when I truly didn't - and I know that many know that our marriage was definitely one of convenience - would be the greatest dishonor to his memory." Mia sighed. "It's sad that much of society cannot see that…but no worries. I don't really care for the ton…For these next few months, I plan to do what I want to do. I have full control of my money so maybe…just maybe I can put that to good use. Lord Farring has allowed his estates to crumble and his tenants suffer terribly."

"Are you going to be joining the London Season?" Kento asked as he took another crumpet.

Mia shook her head. "I am a cit, only a Baroness by marriage. Besides, many of the public that I met today at the park were horrified that I had been wearing a deep blue velvet riding dress instead of something black. So no."

"Who did you meet?"

"I remember meeting a Lady Leonal and her twin daughters, Lady Ainslie and Lady Aisley. I had the luck to also meet up with Lady Thornhill who was accompanied by Lady Sanderfield and Lady Fonteyne. Then my most chance meeting was with Lady Garwich and her daughter Lady Emileen." Mia shuddered. I did not mind Lady Thornhill, Lady Sanderfield, and Lady Fonteyne but Lady Garwich, Lady Emileen, Lady Leonal, Lady Ainslie, and Lady Aisley were most horrible." Mia blushed. "But perhaps I deserved it. I did not mourn the proper year for my husband. You know, society stinks to put it plainly."

Kento shuddered. "Lady Garwich and Lady Leonal are two match-making mamas. Lady Garwich tried to trap the Duke of Vermilion the other day by trying to compromise him…Lady Emileen had many proposals but she rejected everyone because she wanted someone with a large title, large estates, and endless amounts of money. Lady Leonal has chosen the Marquess of Balogh and the Earl of Carew for her two daughters who are being introduced this Season."

"I have met the Marquess and the Earl. Might I ask what other name His Grace goes by?"

"His name is Ryo Sanada." Kento sipped his tea.

"Was he the one that acted as a second to your duel?" Mia inquired.

Kento blushed and nodded. "He was."

Mia smiled gently. "You do not seem like a man that would challenge a man to a duel. My husband must've done something horrible that angered you greatly…would I be out-of-line as to inquire what he did or said?"

Kento shrugged. "It is all in the past Lady Farring, let us not stress ourselves thinking about it. I daresay it is a wonderful day for a ride in the park today, do you not agree?"

Mia looked out the window and nodded. "Not too warm, not too cold…just perfect."

"Would you do me the honors of accompanying me on a ride? I bought a new curricle and four dashing grays to match it." Kento looked eagerly at her.

Mia laughed. "Of course, I shall be honored to accept your invitation. I will change as fast as I can,"

~*~*~*~*~

Sai whistled a jovial tune as he twirled his pocket watch around his hand.

"Why so chipper?" Ryo asked from his side, inching away, afraid that the pocket watch would hit him.

"It's a beautiful day!" Sai grinned.

"What an odd thing to say, but so true," Ryo replied shaking his head and smiling a bit.

Stopping suddenly, Sai narrowed his eyes and stared into the distance. "Isn't that Kento with his new curricle?"

Ryo looked in the same direction Sai was looking at. "That's odd, why would he be driving it by himself?"

"No, I see someone else in there with him," Sai confirmed. "I think Kento's got a new lady friend!"

Pretty soon, the curricle slowed down as Kento waved hi to his comrades and grinned. "Hey ol' chaps, it's a beautiful day today isn't it?"

Sai and Ryo nodded. "Indeed," They chorused.

"Ah, let me introduce you to Lady Farring," Kento said, ignoring the looks of surprise that Sai and Ryo gave them. "Lady Farring, this is Lord Sanada, Duke of Vermilion, and Lord Mouri, Viscount of Marcheale,"

Mia smiled. "A pleasure meeting your acquaintances,"

Sai picked up his spectors and looked through them at Mia. She was wearing a deep navy blue day dress with a square neckline that hugged her bosom quite fitfully. In her arms was a lace shawl and a little purse that matched her dress. He hadn't seen a dress with a square neckline before…if she were to join the Season, she'd be the Season's trendsetter and she definitely had a shot at the title of the Incomparable even if that was given to girls who weren't married and widowed.

Mia shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. The dress was old and it fit her a bit too snugly for her tastes. Her hat was a bit large with white roses on the front and blue lace that ruffled behind them. She fiddled with her purse and nearly jumped when Kento cleared his throat.

"The lady tells me she won't be joining us during the London Season," Kento commented, breaking the silence.

Sai dropped his spectors and blushed, realizing that his action was poor for a gentleman such as himself. "Oh why not Lady Farring?"

"Well…" Mia began as she set down her purse and sat up straighter.

"You must, it may be a bit boring but it does have it's perks," Ryo added.

Mia scratched her head. "To tell you the truth, I have never joined London's Season…I just turned eighteen before I was wed,"

Kento, Sai, and Ryo looked shocked at her answer.

"Eighteen?" Sai muttered. She's BARELY out of the schoolroom!

"I know I am very young," Mia mumbled.

"It naught matters milady, you act very mature," Ryo said in a very fatherly tone.

"Thank you…" Mia replied, not sure if it was a compliment or an insult.

The tension was thick in the air.

"Well, would you look at the time? We best be going now ol' chaps," Kento broke the silence once more as he flicked the reigns.

Mia smiled and waved goodbye to the two gentlemen. "They were nice,"

"Lady Farring, I will try to convince you to join our Season this year. When my family first sent me here for an education, I was bewildered at the prospects of leaving my country, however, I grew fond of London. As His Grace said, it does have its perks," Kento said as he slowed the carriage down.

Mia nodded her head and grinned slightly as they stopped in front of her house, two footmen already waiting at the gate. "I shall think about it milord, thank you for the wonderful ride," She added as Kento hurried to help her down to the ground.

He bowed. "'Twas my pleasure,"

~*~*~*~*~

"Have you heard word about Kento yet? I hear he was to meet Lady Farring today," Sage recalled as he observed the cards in his hand while looking up once in a while at his opponent.

Rowan shrugged as he played a hand. "Nope,"

"The meeting went well," A familiar voice joined them as the carrier pulled up a chair and sat down to observe the game. "At least, that's what it seemed,"

"Hello Sai," The two greeted as they set their cards down and looked at their friend.

"Did you go with him?" Rowan asked reaching for his drink.

Sai shook his head. "Nope, however, I did go for a walk in the park with Ryo and I did meet up with him…and the Lady,"

Rowan and Sage looked at each other confused.

"He was taking her for a ride in the park, she's a pretty girl mind you," Sai added as his gaze flickered from one to the other. "Here's the shocker, she's only eighteen,"

Rowan and Sage blinked at him.

"Eighteen? She's barely out of the schoolroom," Sage commented staring at Sai with interest.

"My thoughts exactly. However, out of the schoolroom or not, she acts very mature, in fact, I thought she might've been in her late twenties," Rowan added as he gathered the cards.

"You have not explained why Lady Farring and Kento was in the park though," Sage questioned.

"Well apparently, he asked to take her on a ride and she decided to say yes. She was wearing a very pretty lavender dress though, I think my gazing may have unsettled her," Sai blushed as he scratched his nose. "I must add, she is a very pretty girl," His face turned an even brighter red.

Sage chuckled.

Rowan smiled at his friend and decided to change the topic. "Speaking of schoolrooms and such, what do you think I should do with my sister? She's coming home and I haven't the faintest idea what to do with the girl. I can't allow her to stay in my house without a chaperon. With the upcoming Season, not many qualified dressers and maids are available."

"You have a week, I'm sure with your knowledge, you can figure something out," Sage concluded as he took a drink from his glass.

~*~*~*~*~

"Hello! Hello!" A small figure pounded on the door. "Is anybody there?" She called out. It had started raining just a few minutes ago. She thought she was use to random storms that came with London and she had but they were a nuisance.

The door to the large house finally swung open as an immaculately dressed man stared down at her short form. His eyes widened as he realized who she was. "My Lady? You are early,"

"Well don't just stand there," She said grinning. "Allow me to come in,"
"Oh yes, forgive me," The butler said as he quickly ushered the Lady inside. "You weren't due for another week,"

She nodded as she rolled her eyes, grinning at the butler. "I'm aware of that Stephens…But I thought I ought to surprise my brother. Is he here?"

As if on cue, a tall man with a slight resemblance to the lady came down the stairs. "Stephens, you are making quite a racket," He sighed annoyed.

"Rowan!" The lady squealed before throwing herself at the annoyed man.

Not expecting it, Rowan stumbled back onto the stairs as his sister kissed him with a large smack on his cheek. "Kayura?" He questioned fazed.

"Rowan! I'm so glad to be home big brother! The academy was such a bore and all the other girls were very rude. I could not believe that many passed the course though. In addition to being very rude, they were also very boring. Why, most of the conversations consisted of ball routs, invitations, marriages, eligible men, and such stuff. Then the graduates…oh they were terrible! They would talk, talk, talk, and talk some more about the upcoming season. I mean to think…" Kayura rambled on as she sat down on the stairs next to her brother, ignoring the commotion her arrival had made in the household.

By this time, Rowan had tuned her out to face a more challenging problem. What was he to do without another female presence in the house? Kayura had no maids, no dressers…and he had to face the problem of introducing her to society, which meant he had to find a good modiste. If that wasn't bad enough, the only modistes he knew were ones he had…well…bed and brought his other mistresses get dressed. Rowan blushed at the thought. He definitely could not introduce a young lady to women he had bed. His reputation was a notch better than Ryo's and Rowan's but that didn't really say anything. What am I going to do with you Kayura?

End Chapter 1