Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Steel Shadows ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: We do not own Ronin Warriors - they belong to Sunrise. We do not own X-Men - they belong to Marvel. However, we did have fun combining them into this fic.
Steel Shadows
By Janime and Star Lin
Chapter One
His mother lying on the ground…
The house burning…
"Don't cry, love…"
A man with steel claws…
**********
Cale bolted upright in his bed, breathing hard and sweating. He ran his hands through his hair and stood up. Walking over to the pitcher of water, Cale poured a little into his hand and splashed it lightly on his face.
The middle of the night, he thought, and I'm still having that dream.
Gods, what was with him? Ever since Talpa had been destroyed, Cale had been dreaming of seeing his mother dying as their home burned.
"But who is the man?" Cale whispered to himself. "I know he's important to me… but who is he?"
He sighed, knowing he should get back to sleep. But also knowing he'd be seeing the dream again.
"Better restless sleep then none," Cale murmured and returned to his bed.
**********
Logan shifted in the cramped seat of the coach section of the airplane. He grumbled a little and looked at Storm sitting in the middle seat and Jubilee sitting in the window seat. Both were fast asleep, and Logan was giving Storm a lot of credit for holding out on this extremely long flight to Japan - especially since she was claustrophobic.
Professor Xavier had given the three X-Men a month long vacation after the last mission. They needed the time off, and now that Scott and Jean had returned from their second honeymoon from Paris along with X-Factor staying at the school, the mansion would be in good hands.
If Colossus and Strong Guy don't decide to go head-to-head, seein' who got better strength, Logan had to grin. Ain't nothin' we can do 'bout it. X-Factor can handle Strong Guy. Just don't think they can handle Colossus. Although Polaris… What am I thinking? I'm on vacation and I got battle strategies runnin' through my head.
"Logan."
He looked at Storm.
"Get any sleep, my old friend?" she asked.
"Nah," Logan shook his head. "Probably won't until we get to the hotel. And watch how you use 'old,' darlin'. Besides, don't worry about me." He took her hand. "You're holding up pretty good, Ororo."
"Thank Charles for that," said Storm. "The sessions he's been giving me have helped a great deal."
"At least they're working for you."
Storm patted Logan's hand. "I'm sure you'll remember your past, Logan."
If only I could tell which one was real, Logan thought. He looked at Storm and saw she went back to sleep. Logan smiled. They would be landing in Tokyo in a few hours, and no doubt that Jubilee would want to see the entire city after they settled in. He had to admit it was smart on Jubilee's part for them to take Munroe - Storm's last name - as theirs, making it look like Logan and Storm were married, and Jubilee as their daughter.
With Storm's hand entwined with his, Logan joined them in the realm of sleep.
**********
Cale, after considering all that had happen to him and what the dream could be, came to a decision. He talked to Kayura about the fact that he wanted to go to the mortal world.
"Why?" she had asked.
He sighed as he explained why he wanted to go. "I want to know if any of my clan might have survived, Kayura," he told her. The three ex-warlords treated her as something of a little sister. A pain in the neck at times but not that often.
"Kayura, if you had the chance and the hope that someone else from the Ancient's Clan had somehow survive, wouldn't you go and make a search?" Dais asked the youngest member of the little group. "If I was in that position, I would go to the ends of the earth to find them."
Kayura turn to the last member, his head bowed so that some of his green hair fell to hide his black eyes. "And what do you think, Sekhmet?"
Sekhmet lifted his head up to look at the other three. "There's nothing for us to do here. All of Talpa's supporters had been found and finished, so if Cale wants to take a break in the mortal world then he should go."
Kayura looked away. "I don't like the idea of separating the group." She turned back to smile at Cale. "I guess that both Dais and Sekhmet are right." She went over to him. "Do you know where you will be staying, if we need to get in touch with you?" she asked.
Cale smiled down at the girl. "Well, I was thinking of asking...."
**********
Cale open his eyes and looked at the white mansion in front of him. Kayura had contacted Mia using the Staff. She and the Ronins had agreed to take him in while he did the research to find his clan. He had gathered the few belongs and found some clothes that he hope would allow him to fit in at this time period - dressed in dark blue jeans, a red button up shirt, a brown leather jacket, and dark sunglasses. Cale walked up to the door and knocked, hoping that someone was at home.
"Coming!" came a female voice and then the door was pulled open to reveal a dark hair woman. Mia smiled at him and motion with her hand for him to enter. "Kayura told us that you wanted to find out if your clan was still around."
They both walked into the living room where the Ronins were. They all stood up as Mia and Cale entered the room. "Hello, Cale," the one with black hair said.
Cale sat his bag down and then took a seat across from them, taking the cup of tea that Mia offered him. He bowed to the black haired teen. "Hello, Ryo."
The teen nodded as he and the others sat down.
"So do you have anything that we could work with about your clan?" Rowen asked, getting straight to the point.
Cale removed his sunglasses, putting them into the pocket of his jacket. He took a sip of his tea. "I'm afraid I don't have much to work with. The Sasaki clan wasn't very big or important at the time of my birth. I wouldn't even be looking for it if it hadn't been for a dream that I've been having since Talpa's defeat," he told them. "I was hoping that there might be something to help me explain what had happen."
The Ronins turn to Sage, who had his arms cross over his chest and his eyes closed. He lifted his head to reveal one lavender eye. "Can you describe the dream? We might be able to use some from it to narrow down the search."
Cale set the cup aside and lean back in the chair. "It's always starts the same, with my mother's death." He then went into detail, explaining about the soldiers that had come through saying something about a gaijin being hidden in his village. "I was just a child when they killed her, but I do remember a man and that his weapon was a set of hand held steel claws. After he showed up, the dream ended there."
"It's not much but it will be a starting point," Ryo said, starching White Blaze's head. "Maybe we'll be lucky and find not only your clan but help unravel your past, too." He looked over at Rowen. "You should handle the computers at the library, while Cale and I look through the hardcopies."
Cale was surprise that he didn't know exactly what to say. Mia, seeing the confusion in his blue eyes, took pity on him. "Why don't we let Cale settle in first before you drag him off to downtown Tokyo?"
"Gomen, Mia," Ryo said smiling sheepishly. "I'll show to you my room since that's the only spare bed. We can head for the library tomorrow morning."
"I'll go and see my grandfather," Sage said. "He might also know something about your clan."
"I'll also check with my mother, though I don't know if it will help any," Cye said. He turned to his best friend.
Kento thought for a moment. "I'll try my grandfather as well," he suggested.
"I'll check Grandfather's files. He might have something on your clan if it protected the Armor of Darkness," Mia said, heading for the den and her grandfather's computer.
Cale smiled and bow to them. "Thank you, my friends. I don't know if I can repay this."
Ryo laughed as he picked up Cale's bag. "You don't have to thank us. Come on, I'll show you to my room." Cale nodded and followed the leader of the Ronins up the stairs.
**********
The next morning started out like most at the mansion.
"ROWEN!!!!!" came a scream from down the hall. Cale shot up in bed, the blood rushing to his head from the swift movement.
Ryo laugh at Cale when he heard the groan from the older warrior. "Get use to it Cale. You can just about set your clocks by it."
Cale slowly lifted his head up from his hand. "What was that about?" he asked, hoping that it wouldn't be an everyday thing.
"Rowen usually sleeps in except on school days and even then we still have to drag him out of bed," Ryo said. "But since we have to get an early start out this morning, we decided to bring out the ultimate weapon."
A string of cruses came from down the hall. "I'M UP! NOW SOMEONE GET THIS TIGER OFF OF ME!"
Cale shook his head as he began to rummage through his bag, pulling out a blue shirt and black jeans. "I'm going to change and then we can head out."
Breakfast had been short. Mia was already at work on Cale's clan information while Sage, Cye, and Kento headed for the train station to go back home.
"They told us that if they find anything important that they'll reach us through the armor link," Ryo told Cale as they drove to Tokyo in Mia's jeep.
"Our best bet will be the library," Rowen said, keeping his eyes on the road.
"You're sure that the library will have what we're looking for?" Cale asked as they enter the traffic of downtown.
"Yeah," Rowen said as he pulled into one of the parking lots. "We'll have to walk to the library from here," he said, as the three of them got out of the jeep. An hour or so later, the trio split up in the library; Rowen heading for the computer to start his search, while Ryo went straight to the history section, and Cale wandered through the library, pulling books that had even the slight hint of his clan. Among the pile he took to one of the tables was a book on old weaponry. Ryo join him with his own pile of books.
Cale went to the index page, looking through it to narrow down his search. The first book turned up on when his clan was formed. He picked up another book and seeing that it was a book on weaponry. Shrugging his shoulders, he began to flip through the pages of that one. He skimmed over the pictures until one of the weapons caught his eyes and he froze.
Ryo looked at him. "Are you all right?" he asked, concerned from the expression on the other's face.
"That's it..." Cale whispered.
"'It' what?"
Cale handed the book to Ryo, opened to a page showing a gauntlet and three claws attached. The paragraphs also went into detail of how the claws would slide out and retract by flipping a small switch on the inside of the palm. Rowen also moved to look at the page that they were staring at.
Ryo looked up. "These are the claws?"
"They look pretty close to them," Cale said.
"Anything else on it beside the paragraph?" Rowen asked. Cale flip the page over but it was of a dagger, used by ninjas at that time. Cale shook his head as he closed the book. "Well, at least it gives us a clue," Rowen said going back to the computer.
Four hours later, Cale slammed the last book shut in anger, startling Ryo and Rowen. He rubbed at his tired eyes. "It's hopeless," Cale sighed. "We've been at this for hours and nothing is known about my clan. It's like they disappeared from the face of the earth."
"Cale, don't give up," Ryo told him. "This is going to take a while."
"Hey, why don't you take a break, Cale? Maybe some fresh air might clear your head a bit," Rowen suggested. "I want to check one more item before I call it quits."
Cale was going to argue and then decided against it. "You might be right," he said standing up. "I'll be back in a few minutes." He walked away from them, heading for the exit.
Ryo stood up, moving to put the books back that Cale had gotten. "What are you trying to find?" he asked, looking over Rowen's shoulder.
"I decided to use that clue that Cale found. Maybe there is something on that claw weapon."
Ryo watched as Rowen's hand flew over the keyboard, typing in the information they had gotten from the book. Within a few minutes the page came up to the historic museum.
"Yes, this might be it," Rowen said quietly.
Ryo read over the information. "Not much to go on," he said. "It says that it's about 450 years old." He scanned the rest of the text and his eyes widened a bit. "It says here that a gaijin had owned this."
Rowen hit the print button. "Looks like the next stop is the museum. We might find some more information there about it." He shut the computer off and stood up. "I'll help you put these away and then we'll go and get Cale."
*************
Storm had remained at the hotel while Logan and Jubilee took to the streets. Logan kept Jubilee right beside him; he didn't want her venturing off by herself - he didn't care if she was seventeen or how well he had taught her to speak Japanese.
"Wolvie," Jubilee said, "look."
The X-man turned his head and found himself looking at a deep purple kimono with doves on the sleeves accompanied by a dark red sash displayed in a window.
"Storm would look great in that," Jubilee voiced.
"Maybe you two should come shopping without me one day," Logan suggested.
"No way!" Jubilee grinned at him. "It won't be fun without you with us."
"That's because I know how to barter," Logan grinned back at her. He returned his eyes back to the kimono.
~She looked at him with beautiful midnight blue eyes. "Would you like some tea?"~
Logan gasped and felt a pain shot in the back of his head. He shut his eyes and placed his hand just above the back of his neck.
Jubilee grabbed his arm. "Wolvie, are you okay?" she asked worried.
"I'm all right," he answered as the pain slowly ebbed, and sighed when it was gone. "Don't worry, I'm fine," Logan reassured her. "C'mon, let's see if we can find a place to eat."
"Yeah, I'm starving!" Jubilee pulled out the map. "Here's one," she pointed to a marker.
"We'll have to take the subway," Logan grunted.
"Is that bad?"
"Only if you don't mind bein' packed like a sardine in a tin can."
They walked down the stairs and over to the subway platform. A few moments later, the train pulled up and people were trying to get on the train as the riders tried to get out.
Logan and Jubilee managed to squeeze in just before the doors closed. Logan reached up and grabbed one of the overhead handrails, and held onto Jubilee. "You stay with me," he said.
Jubilee nodded and gripped his arm tighter. "Believe me, I'm not letting go of you."
Soon the train slowed and stopped at the next station. The doors opened and people were doing the same thing as before. Logan held Jubilee's hand tight as he led her through the mass of people. They were almost off the train, but a small group pushed their way onto the train separating the two X-Men's hands.
"Wolvie!" Jubilee cried as she was pushed back inside.
Logan tried to get back on, but he couldn't push through the crowd and the train doors closed cutting him off. He watched the train start up and gain speed; Jubilee's terrified face looking at him through the window, and the train disappeared down the tunnel.
Anger surged through Logan; he took a few deep breaths to calm down or he would do something that would point him out to the public as a mutant. Looking around, Logan spotted a map with the train's route. He ran his finger along the one he was on, and found the next station near a library.
Logan turned from the map and quickly headed for the stairs.
**********
Jubilee was all but squashed as she finally made it off the train. "And I thought the subway was bad back home," she muttered to herself. Jubilee walked over to the train map and saw that she was near a library. She was thinking about going there - Logan could just pick up her scent and follow her - but she didn't want to go any farther than she was already. Sighing, Jubilee pulled out her map and tried to figure out the best way to get back to the hotel.
Should've brought your communicator, she thought.
"Need a tour guide, sweetie?"
Jubilee looked up and saw a group of boys around her age - maybe a little older - that were dressed in dark clothes standing before her. "What makes you say that?" she asked.
"Well, you look lost," the speaker answered. He had a bandana on with a strange symbol Jubilee had never seen before. "The 'deer caught in the headlights' expression gave you away."
"Gomen, but I'm waiting for someone," Jubilee said, hoping that they'd leave.
"Hey, your waiting is over," the boy walked closer to her, " the guys and I will show you a good time."
Instinctively, as she was taught many times over by Logan, Jubilee's fist lashed out and she hit the guy right in his stomach. He doubled over and Jubilee took off, running up the stairs out of the subway.
"Uzaro!" one of the other members went over to him.
"Little bitch!" the leader yelled. "After her!"
**********
Cale walked outside of the library. He raised his arms up and stretched, inhaling deeply. So far, he and the two Ronins had come up with nothing about his family.
Damn that dream, he thought as he lowered his arms. Why all of the sudden is it important to find out what happened to my clan, and what does that gaijin have to do with it?
"I said take a hike, you baka!" a young girl's scream reached his ears.
Cale ran over to the wall that overlooked the sidewalk. There was a girl in her late teens, wearing a yellow shirt, blue jeans, and a light jacket, facing off against seven older boys.
"Listen, babe," said the one with the bandana, "you're coming with us whether you like it or not."
"Is that so?" Cale asked, jumping from the wall and landed between him and the girl, kicking the punk upside his head and watched him fall. Cale grabbed the girl's hand and she shrieked as he broke into a run, dragging her along with him.
Jubilee couldn't believe what was happening to her. All she wanted was to come to Japan for a little R&R. Instead she was lost, being chased by a street gang, and rescued by a complete stranger! He didn't have to, though; Jubilee could've just blasted the punks easily. Professor Xavier had told them not to use their powers unless it was an emergency situation.
Well, Jubilee thought, it was almost an emergency!
Her rescuer pulled her down an ally and a chain link fence stopped them.
"I appreciate your help," Jubilee started, "but- hey!"
He picked her up and jumped over the fence. Jubilee couldn't believe it! Was this guy a mutant? Is that why he saved her? Once back on her feet, they hid behind a dumpster. Footsteps approached and the two froze.
"Where are they?" demanded the leader. "Shit! Let's go, we can't do anything else."
After their footsteps died away, Jubilee let out the breath she had been holding.
"Are you all right?" her savior asked.
"Hai, I'm okay," Jubilee looked at him. He had midnight blue eyes, dark blue hair, and a scar on his left eye. Jubilee stared at him for the longest time. He was absolutely cute!
"Is something wrong?" he asked.
"No, no!" Jubilee snapped out of her trance. "Not at all. Um… arigato. You saved me back there."
"You're welcome," he smiled and helped her stand up. "My name is Cale."
"Jubilee," she bowed to him.
"So what did you do to make them go after you?" Cale asked.
"Kind of a long story," Jubilee said.
**********
"So you're here in Japan with your parents," Cale summed, "your mother is at your hotel, you were separated from your father in the subway, and the scumbags as you called them just started chasing you." He grinned at Jubilee. "You've had more excitement in one day than most people have during their entire trip."
"I guess so," Jubilee laughed. "My life is pretty exciting at times."
"Dare I ask what you do in your time?"
"It's very detailed."
Cale nodded. "I'll leave it be." They walked back to the library and went inside. "There they are," Cale said and they walked over to two boys replacing books on the shelves. "Ryo. Rowen."
"Cale," the one with black hair said. "We found something about the…" he pointed to Jubilee. "And this is?"
"This is Jubilee," Cale introduced her, "we met outside."
"How that happen?" the blue haired one asked.
Cale and Jubilee told the two of their interesting meeting.
"Wow," Ryo said afterwards.
"That's not the best welcome to Japan," said Rowen. He turned to Jubilee. "Are you sure that you don't want us to call someone to help find your father?"
"I know my dad," Jubilee said. "He'll be here any minute."
**********
Logan left the station. Jubilee had gotten off there and went outside. There were seven other scents mixed with hers, which only meant that she had been pursued. He followed the scents all the way to the library. Another one joined them and Logan stopped. It was faint, but oddly familiar.
No time to dwell on it now, he thought. First things first, find Jubilee and make sure she's okay.
Logan followed the scents to the ally. The seven had gone off in a different direction; Jubilee's and the new one headed back towards the library. Logan entered the library and found Jubilee sitting at a table, talking quietly to two boys - neither of them was the one that brought her here.
"Jubilee," he called softly. She looked and smiled happily, running to him for a big hug. "Are you okay?"
"I'm all right," Jubilee answered and told him what happened.
{Adopted,} Rowen sent to Ryo.
{I guess so,} Ryo answered.
"Which one of you helped my daughter?" Logan asked.
"Not us, sir," Ryo said, "our friend did. He went to the bathroom before you came here."
"Too bad," Logan said. "Please tell him that I said thank you."
"We will," said Rowen.
Jubilee and Logan bowed to them and left the library.
"Cale's only been here for twenty-four hours," said Rowen, "and already he's picking up girls."
"Quiet," Ryo hissed, "here he comes."
"Where's Jubilee?" Cale asked when he walked to the table.
"Her father came and they left," Rowen told him. "He did say thank you for helping Jubilee."
Cale frowned a little. "Wish I could have met him."
Ryo shrugged and stood up. "So, to the museum?"
"Hai," Rowen said, "let's go."
**********
Ryo looked at Cale as the Warlord stared out the jeep window; his face blank, but his eyes were mixed with anger and sadness. The trio had arrived at the museum only to discover that the section where they needed to go was off limits to the public due to remodeling. Despite how hard they tried to convince the security guard and the museum employee, they wouldn't let them through.
"All that work," Cale finally spoke, "and for what? We're practically in the same spot."
Ryo thought for a moment, trying to think of encouraging words. "At least we know that they're still in the museum."
"Come on, Cale," Rowen said when he didn't respond, "that's gotta be a little consolation."
"I guess it is," Cale sighed. "I just wish I could've seen them. Maybe if I did it would help me remember a little more of what happened."
"Do you remember anything else?" asked Ryo.
Cale shook his head. "Not really."
"Well," Rowen said, "tomorrow's another day. Perhaps Mia found something."
"I hope so," Cale said quietly.
**********
"Bright Lady!" Storm exclaimed when they finished.
"You can say that again," said Jubilee.
"We talked to the police," Logan said, "they said that this hasn't been the first time a group with their description has done something pretty close to this. And the hotel's security has been notified."
"I can't believe it," Storm sighed. "At least that boy helped you, Jubilee. What did you say his name was?"
"Cale," Jubilee answered. "He was really nice. I didn't tell you before, Wolvie, but his hair style is very close to yours."
Logan raised his eyebrows. "Really?" he asked surprised. "I've never heard about anyone like that."
"Perhaps we will see him in the future," said Storm.
I really hope so, Jubilee didn't say out loud.
"Well, it's late," Logan stood up and headed for his room. "You two have a good night's sleep."
"Good night, Logan."
"Night, Wolvie."
"G'night." Logan shut the door that separated the two rooms. He walked over to the table and picked up Jubilee's jacket. He sniffed it, finding the scent of the one who saved her from the group still there.
"All right, kid," Logan said quietly, "I don't know why but I have to meet you, and it's not just to say thanks for savin' Jubilee."
**********
"So you didn't bring the mutant."
"Forgive me, sir," Uzaro knelt in front of his master, eyes to the ground. "I did not mean to fail you."
"Uzaro, you have never failed me before. I will let this pass, but you must bring the mutant here. I have waited a very long time for this opportunity. You are dismissed."
"Yes, sir." Uzaro left the room.