Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Tangled Webs We Weave ❯ Glass Doll ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Tangled Webs We Weave
Part Two: Glass Doll


A/N: Ok, first off, sorry for the long delay; thank Zorra for it actually getting done. Even if it took longer because of her too. ^_~ This is a joint effort chapter, Zorra and I both wrote it. Once I showed her what I had done for it, she had a few ideas that she wanted to add in, play it out and see if it worked. We both liked the outcome, which is what we're sticking with.

[Yippie it worked it worked!!! *wipes sweat from brow* I thought for sure she was going to tear me down for delaying her. Well that was a twist. Hey we hope you enjoy this fic, we pored the guys little hearts into it and bleed them to death so be happy and sympathetic and review!!!!!!
[If we get ten reviews I promise you'll have an update of one of my fics by Monday the 11th.]


Ryu did indeed defeat Guile, and again in the rematch. Shu wanted to do the best seven out of eight, but Ryo declined. Dinner would be ready soon, and he wanted a shower.

Shu pouted for a bit before shrugging and challenging the computer. Rolling his eyes and smiling in an exasperated way, Ryo headed upstairs. He didn't notice the pair of eyes flicker towards his retreating back.

****


A week past; Ryo was still just as withdrawn, and the guys were still clueless, and no sign of Byakuen either. Not that they were worried. Ryo didn't seem to be concerned by his continual absence, so neither were the guys.

Ryo rolled over in bed, not really wanting to get up. But the warm sunshine that filtered through his blinds was persistent, and insisted that he get up and join the day. After several minutes of trying to fall back to sleep, Ryo finally gave up and pulled himself from the warm comforter, swinging his legs over the side of the bed. He glanced at the window muttering, "There, I'm up. Happy now?" The sun didn't answer but seemed to shine brighter. Rolling his eyes at his own foolishness, Ryo readied himself for the long day ahead.

"Good afternoon, sleepy head. Glad you're awake," Seiji glanced briefly at Ryo before returning to the book he was reading while walking and eating a brownie. "Shin left some lunch on the counter for you and said to remind you that it's your turn to do the dishes. The others went out back. I'll be on the porch reading if you need anything."

"Thanks," Ryo mumbled, thinking that he should have stayed in bed after all.

After Seiji left Ryo went into the kitchen, easily finding the sandwich Shin had left out for him. Taking a bite, he crossed over to the skin and plugged the drain. Turning on the water, he filled it with too much soap so that he could watch the bubbles build higher than needed. It was a simple amusement meant to take the place of splashing around in a bubble bath as a kid; a game most children indulged in when able, and never really grew out of. With a smirk brought on by his musings, Ryo grabbed a soda from the fridge and sat on the counter, eating his sandwich while waiting for the sink to fill.

A few minutes later, Ryo tossed the crust from his sandwich in the trash (his coke went into the recycle can) and prepared for the task ahead. Pulling out a dishrag, Ryo carefully rolled up his sleeves and with a silly grin he plunged into the water, causing soapsuds to spill out of the skin and onto the countertop, where they fluttered to the floor. "I must really be tired. I'm acting like a kid," Ryo told himself. Then dismissed it with a shrug, "Oh well. At least the others aren't around to see." Humming his favorite tune, he soon lost himself in his thoughts and the warmth shinning on his face through the window.

Seiji smiled as he heard Ryo talking to himself, which eventually faded to soft humming. He'd been deeply engrossed in his book, set at ease by the odd beauty of the day and Ryo's voice working as a backdrop. The weather was a blessing: warm, clear, and refreshing. It was the sort of day that made you want to laze about in the shade of a tree and watch the leaves sway gently in the breeze, until they lulled you to sleep. Seiji settled for lounging on the patio swing overlooking the lake where his friends were enjoying the day in a more energetic way. Seiji had been drawn out of his book by an angry, almost panicky shout from Touma. Hiding behind his book was all Seiji could do to contain his amusement….

…Shu and Touma where putting on a rather entertaining displace of tug-a-war, with Shu pulling on the smaller boy's arm, trying to get him into the water, and Touma digging his heels into the ground. Despite Touma's resistance, he was slowly but surely being dragged closer and closer to the appalling liquid. Seiji was tempted to comment; maybe distract Touma enough for Shu to get him into the water, but being the caring person he was, he restrained himself. Settling instead for sitting back and watching his friends with a critical eye. Shin, Seiji noted, though already in the lake, was staying away from their immediate area, no doubt in anticipation of one or both of them falling into the water.

Shu was dragging Touma along the wooden pier now, a grin lighting up his face as he thought he'd finally gotten the upper hand. A sort lived hand though, as Touma dropped down into a crouch, swung his leg out and hooked Shu's ankle, effectively swiping the larger boy's feet out from under him. Shu came crashing down with a cry of surprise and a "thump," his triumphant grin vanishing. Touma made a run for it, Shin cheering him on from the sidelines. Recovering almost immediately as he watched his prey escape, Shu surged to his feet, sparing his best friend a death glare that promised pain, before he managed to tackle the gremlin.

"Let me go!" Touma demanded, struggling as Shu lifted him from the ground and carried him under one arm back to the water.

"No can do," replied Shu.

"Damn it Shu, do I look like I want to go swimming?! Let me go! Now!" Touma shouted, squirming in Shu's grip. "Besides, I'm not dressed for swimming. I'd sink like a rock in these baggy clothes, not to mention my running shoes…"

After all, well-worn blue jeans and an almost new gray-blue sweatshirt with the sleeves ripped off, were hardly the appropriate attire for swimming in. The baggy fabric could snag on something, trapping him underwater. Not to mention, blue jeans where heavy as hell when wet.

"Don't worry about it man, Shin and I are right here if you drown. We promise not to sell your Where's Waldo books, but the others have got to go. We'll need the room for the new entertainment center and pinball machine I've been saving up for."

Touma's eyes went as big as saucers as he thought about his beloved books being replaced by a TV. Even if it was a joke (and he wasn't so sure it wasn't), Touma couldn't stand the thought and a new rush of adrenalin surged through him. He increased his struggles suddenly, growling obscenities and death threats. Touma grinned when he felt Shu's grip go loose, before his eyes widened in horror.

Once Seiji realized what was about to happen, best friend though he was, he thought it was still humorous and broke down laughing, even as Touma twisted his body around just as he saw the pier pass above him. But that was all he had time to do; there was no time to brace himself as he landed spread eagle (and face first) on the lake's mirror-like surface.

Ryo had finished cleaning the dishes and reached for a glass, intent on some water. As he raised the glass to his lips his eyes swept the yard and happened to glance Shu and Touma's childish antics. Rising his glass like he was someone important, Ryo pretended to toast Touma's vein efforts to stay dry and on land. Ryo titled the glass to his lips swallowing deeply as he watched Shu lift Touma into the air and flip him. Realizing a moment to late what was about to happen, Ryo tried to stop mid-swallow, jerking back and dropping the glass. He barely noticed it shatter at his feet, as he chocked and coughed on the liquid. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, he mentally scolded himself, dropping to his knees.

Shu winced just as Touma connected, "Full-out belly flop; ouch," he muttered. He chanced a glance over the pier, leaning over a bit to see where Touma had landed.

Seeing Shu cautiously peer over the edge of the pier, Seiji opened his mouth to call out to him when he heard something from the kitchen. Knowing Ryo was doing the dishes he looked towards the kitchen window. Not seeing the fire warrior there, he called out to him. "Ryo, you ok?"

He waited a moment, with no response. Frowning, he got up and walked over to the open window; he made sure to hide his worry, knowing it would just annoy the black-haired youth. Leaning against the windowsill and poking his head through the window, Seiji found Ryo kneeling on the floor about a foot away from the sink attempting to recover his breath and scoop the glass into a pile with his hands.

Raising an eyebrow, Seiji glanced at the puddle of water and splinters of glass Ryo's hand was hovering over. "Ryo? Something happen?"

Ryo blinked, quickly tugging down his sleeves and dragging his gaze up to the window. Seeing Sage's concerned look, Ryo forced a smile and waved a dismissive hand. "Umm…no. I was watching Shu and Touma…just slipped…." he trailed off, the smile fading, when Seiji shook his head and moved away from the window. With a defeated sigh, Ryo started to pick up the pile of glass.

He already had a decent handful when the screen door leading to the backyard opened. He looked up to see Seiji standing half inside the entrance, but staring out at the lake. Intending to ask what was going on, Ryo opened his mouth; but before he could say anything, there was another loud splash from outside. Shit!

Seiji chuckled and shook his head at the other's antics out in the lake, before jerking around to face Ryo. He'd heard a quick intake of breath, and a cut-off groan. "Ryo?" walking quickly towards his kneeling leader.

"F-fine. Just…cut myself on some glass." Indeed, there was a small stream of blood coming from his left hand, the one clenched around the gathered glass shards.

"How did you manage that?" was the incredulous response. Seiji's eyes narrowed, taking in the scattered glass pieces, Ryo's clenched, bleeding hand, and the other hand wrapped protectively around his mid-section. Seiji opened his mouth, but Ryo spoke up first.

"What happened out there?" Ryo tried to sound disinterested.

Seiji's expression turned from amusement to carefully neutral as he regarded his kneeling friend, who was avoiding having to look at him. "Shu tossed Touma into the lake as I'm sure you saw, and Touma managed to pull Shu in after him. Touma barely moved out of the way before Shu could landed on him."

Seiji walked back towards Ryo, a wet paper-towel in one hand, and the trashcan in the other. "Honestly Ryo, how careless can you get? Pay attention for once." Ryo blushed in embarrassment as he noted the irritation in Seiji's voice. Realizing he'd been to harsh, Seiji sighed and held his hand out in a silent command for Ryo's own hand so he could heal the injury.

"I can take care of it myself Seiji," Ryo said, holding out his good hand for the wet paper towel.

"Obviously," Seiji muttered, eyes on Ryo's bleeding hand as he snatched it. He held Ryo's hand over the trash for him to drop the bloody glass shards into it, before bringing it back towards himself and turning it over. He knew Ryo was mad and embarrassed, but he honestly didn't care at that point.

You act like a child, you'll be treated as one, Seiji thought to himself as he cleaned Ryo's hand, checking to see if any of the glass was imbedded in the flesh. Once he had all the little pieces of glass out of the hand, Seiji started to heal it.

Letting his energy flow into Ryo's hand, he could feel as it slowly worked at repairing the damage. He was surprised when he felt some of the energy pass the cuts, flowing deeper; the skin around his eyes tightened as he tried to keep it at Ryo's hand. Curious, though doing his best to hide it and his actions, Seiji tried to follow the trail of the wayward energy.

He could feel Ryo tense; he knew Ryo was about to speak, protest most likely. Glancing quickly up at him, Seiji could see in Ryo's eyes, his anger and …something behind that. Seiji made certain his own eyes conveyed his earlier thoughts. He tightened his grip on Ryo's hand before he could pull it away, and refocusing his attention to where it belonged.

Ryo clenched his jaw and broke eye contact first. Looking off to the side, he waited for Seiji to finish; though he knew it wouldn't take long, that didn't help it pass any quicker.

Seiji was gentle as he released Ryo's hand. He silently stood and calmly walked towards the back door. He stopped before he reached it and turned back to face Ryo. "Be more cautious, Ryo. I know you're better than that."

Ryo didn't look in his direction until he had already left. Closing his eyes, Ryo took a deep, calming breath. As much as he hated being treated as a child, he knew why Seiji had done so. Cleaning up the rest of the glass, he wondered on what Seiji meant before he left.

He knows I lied; but does he know why? …No, he can't know…unless…. Ryo shook his head as he dumped the rest of the glass in the trash and moved the can back to where it belonged. Going back to the sink, he looked out the window; the three troopers were still in the lake, but Seiji was neither with them, nor sitting with his book.

No, he doesn't know. Only that I didn't give him the full truth.

****


Seiji stopped at the entrance to the woods, turning back around to view his comrades. Looking towards the house, he could just make out Ryo standing in front of the window, a pensive if thoughtful frown on his face. His own still neutral, Seiji watched for a moment more before turning back around and entering the woods.

He still had at least five hours of daylight left, and he intended to put them to good use. Such was his focus that Seiji didn't notice the pair of thoughtful eyes watching his retreating back.

To Be Continued….