Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Tangled Webs We Weave ❯ Birthday Surprise ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Tangled Webs We Weave Part 3: Birthday Surprise   By: Valandra & Beta: Zorra  

A/N: Sorry for the delay everybody (who didn’t see that coming?) If you’ve read my bio on ff.net then you know why. For those that haven’t, the both of us (myself and Zorra) have been sucked into an RP that we’ve plans on turning into an novel. Our “fans” *cough*wehaveany?*cough* are in luck, as it started out as RW/YST, YST format. And we intend to post it as such, before turning it into an original. At present, we’ve enough planed for it to make three novel-length stories, a trilogy. As well as many branch-offs for one-shots. …Let’s see if Zorra cuts any of that when she gets this. ^_^

 

 

A few days passed, though they seemed to all merge together and blur in Ryo’s mind. It was a Saturday morning (though it took him a few minutes to remember this) and he could hear the sounds of someone down in the kitchen. He sighed and rolled over in bed to look at his clock, arms crossed beneath his head. ‘Alright, mid-morning then,’ he thought with a sardonic snort. Heaving a heavy and weary breath, he pushed the covers away and himself up.

His curtains were drawn, blocking out most of the sun. It was once more a bright, glorious day; and yet Ryo felt all the more tired for it. He’d even gone to bed earlier last night, despite the guys (led by Shu) deciding to stay up until midnight. Ryo shook his head as he got dressed, long sleeves and jeans with a hole worn-out above the knee.

Covering a yawn as he climbed down the stairs, one arm raised as he stretched, Ryo glanced into the living room. He was surprised to not see Shu in there, either watching cartoons or playing another video game. Eyes still on the room as he entered the kitchen, he was slow to turn his head to watch where he was going. What he saw once he did surprised him further.

Both Shin and Shu were working in the kitchen, Shin making breakfast and Shu trying to stay out of the brunette’s way, though with his own mixing bowls. Ryo paused in the archway and watched, sniffing the air when Shu bent down and opened the oven. ‘A cake?’ he thought, finding the notion not only odd, but far-fetched. Not even Shin baked this early, why on earth was Shu….?

Then he remembered and almost in a daze, he went over to the counter to look at the calendar there. ‘June ninth, Seiji’s birthday. …No wonder they wanted to stay up last night.’ He shrugged and went over to the fridge for some orange juice, taking extra care to stay out of both boy’s ways. He remembered now, Shu had convinced Shin to let him cook up a birthday lunch in exchange for leaving the dinner to Shin. Walking out of the kitchen without a word, Ryo shook his head as he recalled Seiji’s protests upon finding out; mindless of the two giving his back a strange look.

  ****

An hour later found the guys outside practicing while Shu made preparations for lunch. Shin and Touma paired off first, leaving Seiji and Ryo to spar. A half-hour passed and they switched off. Once another hour passed, Ryo lowered his blade and called an end to the sessions. When asked why so soon, he threw a smirk at Seiji and started walking back to the house after putting his blade up.

Seiji glared at Ryo’s back. Once the dark-haired boy had re-entered the manor, he turned to start a form of his own. He paused though, expression neutral but hard when Shin offered to spar with him; knowing the blond needed to calm down. The brunette wisely hid his own amusement.

 

Entering the manor, Ryo was wiping the sweat from his face and paused to watch Shu. The younger boy was bustling about the kitchen, a large wok on the stove and a couple cutting boards and bowls on the counters.

“How much longer?” Ryo asked, and got a grin in response.

“Why, getting hungry? I know you didn’t eat much at breakfast.”

Ryo returned the grin and started out of the kitchen, catching the water bottle the boy threw at him. “Just checking to see if I had enough time for a shower,” he called over his shoulder. He could practically feel the other boy’s grin and added, “Your head if there’s no hot water for the others!” Laughing, hearing Shu bang a pan rather loudly, Ryo made his way upstairs; shaking his head along the way at the younger boy’s predictability.

  ****

“Uugh!” Touma fell back to the ground, arms spread and bow held loosely in one hand. “Good grief Seiji! It’s your birthday, why are you so pissed?”

Heaving a sigh Seiji rested his blade, looking to neither of his friends. Mirroring the sigh, Shin too dropped to the ground near Touma, though he remained sitting upright. His bo-staff laying at his side.

“Honestly Seiji,” Shin was at least calm and composed. An image upheld as he pulled his shirt over his head and dropped the light blue muscle cut beside him after wiping his face and neck.

“I don’t know,” Seiji ground out, voice even but hard. Forcing himself to calm, he held his breath and slowly released it. Opening his eyes, he turned back to the two and lowered himself to sit Indian style. “I don’t know,” he repeated. “There is no reason.”

Releasing a heavy breath that blew his long lock from between his eyes, Touma pulled himself up. “And that would be what’s really pissing you off.”

Rolling his eyes and sharing a look with Seiji, Shin grabbed up his shirt and threw it at Touma. The younger caught it, but the ends of the shirt still snapped him in the face. “Really now Touma, you’re like a kid with a new word.”

Making a show of throwing the shirt down, Touma glared at the brunette and flipped him off. Earning laughter from both boys.

Shaking his head as his laughter calmed, Seiji looked between the two with a small smile. “We should be getting in. Shu won’t be happy if we put off his lunch for showers.” He stood as he spoke, lifting his practice sword with him.

Shin nodded with a laugh and Touma snorted, both following the blonde’s lead. “As if Ryo’s left any hot water by this point.” Smirking at the twin groans he received, he turned and led the way to the weapons’ stand. They didn’t make it.

 

 

Halfway to the stand, off to the side of the back porch, they dropped their weapons to the ground and took off at a dead run to the manner. Though they hadn’t heard the loud crash, each clearly made out the pained and horrified scream racing to the sky.

 

 

A mantra of “Shit shit shit shit shit shit shiiiiiiiiiiiit!” assaulted the trio before their feet even hit the porch.

“Shu!” First Touma then Shin before the former had even finished, the three bursting through the screen door.

“What happened?” Seiji demanded as he and Touma ran to the fallen boy. Shin was ahead of them but by-passed Shu, intent on the small fire extinguisher. He knocked over the large box of baking soda on his way, immediately shrinking the oil fire on the stove.

“Seiji!” Shin snapped and the blond looked up in time to catch the cutting knife thrown at him. “Cut the shirt off, pull it away from his skin!” He was yelling over the sound of the extinguisher.

Shu’s face was tight with pain, face a deep red and his jaw quivering as he grit and bore, refusing to scream. Touma was sitting behind him, holding the older boy up. The stench of burnt flesh overpowering that of burnt food for himself and Seiji.

“Shin get over here,” Seiji called, voice only half there and too horrified for it to have been snapped.

The brunette looked over but didn’t move away until he was certain the oil fire was out. Keeping the extinguisher in hand, he quickly joined his friends on the floor. “What’s-oh,” he breathed, his knees trying to give out on him. Shaking himself, he touched Shu’s cheek and held his eyes a moment before looking down to Seiji. “Keep him focused, talking. I’m calling an ambulance. Do what you can but don’t jeopardize yourself,” he warned the blond.

Eyes narrowing, Seiji knew Shin was right and glanced to Touma before starting to heal what he could. Leaving it to Touma to talk to Shu, to keep him from going into shock.

“What where you cooking?” Touma asked, lost on what else to talk about.

Drawing in a deep breath, vaguely aware of Shin’s voice off in the background, Shu resolutely did not look down at Seiji. He knew well the psychological affects of looking at a wound or injury; they had all learned it early on in the wars. He didn’t think that would ever change, no matter how old he got.

“That,” he jerked his head in the direction of the put-out fire. “Was Mama’s special, diced chicken with Hoisin sauce and sugar snap peas. I’m not sure what happened. I could have sworn I put the lid back on the oil bottle,” he shook his head and hissed as he shifted. “Not even sure how I knocked it over. Was too involved I guess. Bottle fell onto the wok, spilling the oil onto the burner and throwing the oil and food in the wok at me.”

Touma urged the ambulance to get there quickly. Shu’s voice was so strained, his pain plain to be heard by all of them.

“Touma, pull the rest of the shirt off him.” Shin’s voice caused the younger to jump and he looked up to find Shin stopping beside them once more, his hand on Seiji’s shoulder. A silent order to stop and pull back; Seiji wasn’t pleased, but he didn’t argue.

Squatting down, Shin brushed Shu’s bangs from his face and smiled when he caught the younger’s eyes. “Holding up?” He got a nod from Shu and watched as the younger boy’s eyes rolled up into his head when Touma and Seiji shifted him to removed the rest of the shirt.

“Shu?!” Touma cried out more from surprise and concern, being the one holding the older boy up.

“Passed out,” Seiji assured the blue-haired youth, his eyes following Shin. “What is it?”

Eyes narrowed, Shin reached a hand out and touched one of Shu’s outstretched legs and pulled it back with a hiss. “It’s on his legs too. Help me get these off.” Seiji didn’t hesitate, helping Shin to tug the jeans down once they were undone.

“How long until the ambulance arrives?” Seiji asked, letting Shin toss the jeans to the side once they were off, leaving Shu in a pair of plain boxers.

“Ten minutes at the best by now, but they think an EMS may be closer.” Sitting back on his heels, Shin covered his face with his hands and rubbed before running his hands through his hair, pushing it back.

They could hear sirens not long after that, bringing a sense of relief that washed over the group. Everything happened almost too fast after that, Shu was taken and Shin was almost left behind. They wouldn’t let all three come, but since Shin was the eldest he managed to worm his way into the back of the ambulance. Touma, not having heard all of what was said, half wondered if Shin had simply snuck in without the medics knowledge.

Once the loud sirens had vanished, Touma and Seiji dragged themselves back into the kitchen to start cleaning up.

  ****

Ryo’s head was killing him; its throbbing almost worse then his stomach’s. He wasn’t sure how long he’d been laying under the cold spray; long enough for the tub to have filled a few inches with its frigid waters. Groaning, he whimpered as he tried to push himself up and what happened came back to him with a rush.

He’d finished washing and was just standing beneath the spray, letting the heat wash away the kinks and stress in his body. A part of him wishing it could work as well on his mind and soul. Then out of nowhere something hit him, a pain he couldn’t explain. Grabbing his stomach with a pinched face, he was deft to all but the water and rushing of blood in his ears as he collapsed to his knees.

Leg and knee throbbing, the entirety from the knee down numbing itself from the pain, Ryo lurched and his arm gave, either too weak to hold him or it slipped on the slick tile. The side of his head hit the temperature control for the water and his head spun, his vision blurring. He was certain he cried out when the spray went from hot to icy in unexpected seconds. His stomach heaved, arm still clutched protectively to it and he helplessly felt the bile rising.

Ryo managed to turn his head so he didn’t get anything in his hair; he was grateful it was mostly liquids that came up, his stomach practically empty of anything else. He curled up and shivered before the water had washed all of it away, his body trembling with dry-heaves. He would have screamed if he had the energy, frustration building to a breaking point. ‘Why won’t it stop?!’ Darkness claimed him soon after.

 

 

Groan coming out as more of a whimper, Ryo swatted at the water dial until he managed to push it in and shut it off. It took another few minutes to haul himself up to the tub-edge where he rolled out rather then pulled himself over. Body already consumed with a dulled pain and numbed by the water, he hardly felt the hard fall. He just laid there and tried to catch his breath and will the towel on the rack to simply float down to him. Maybe even then carry him back to his room so he wouldn’t have to stand.

Snorting at himself, Ryo screwed his eyes shut and pushed himself up on his right hand, his left still held loosely to his stomach. Grabbing the towel, not bothering to dry off he simply wrapped it around himself. Managing to tuck it decently, he leaned against the wall and counter to limp his way out, down the hall and to his room. Half-way there he almost swooned, the hall twisting and tilting around him. Closing his eyes had made it worse and he only just managed to catch himself halfway down to the floor.

Shutting the door behind him, he leaned back against it with a sense of relief and exhaustion. Ryo was sliding down to the floor before he even realized it, and couldn’t stop himself this time. With a whimpered groan, he fell to his knees and crawled towards his bed. He used his right hand to balance on the floor, and made it to the first bed rather then his usual one further into the room. Staring at the mattress as if it were the top of Mt. Fuji, he dropped his head forward and threw his arm up. Ryo wasn’t certain how he managed it, but he got halfway up onto the bed before darkness came to claim him once more.

  ****

Kitchen clean and windows wide open to vent the lingering stench, Touma and Seiji dropped down into a pair of chairs at the kitchen table. Twin plates of sandwiches before them, neither had much of the stomach to eat yet. Sighing, Touma leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms behind his head. “Well, this sucks. Sorry Seiji,” he glanced across the table to the blond boy.

Raising an elegant eyebrow, Seiji gave a small shake of his head. “Don’t be Touma, there’s nothing more we can do about this. I just hope we hear something soon.”

Making a sound of agreement, Touma let the chair’s legs drop back down and he stood. He was mildly irritated that the blond had twisted his apology, but he let it slide considering the situation. It was the blonde’s birthday and though he wouldn’t think for a second Seiji had hoped for something so drastic to put a stop to all the attention he was receiving, he knew well and good that the older boy would play it to his advantage.

Stretching his arms above his head, Touma let them fall to his sides and moved around the table to the hall. “I’m gonna go see what Ryo’s up to. We haven’t seen him since practice.” And the fact their unspoken leader hadn’t come down to see what the commotion or sirens were about worried him.

“Alright,” Seiji acknowledged, his frown going unseen by Touma’s turned back.

 

 

Reaching the top of the stairs, Touma mussed a hand through his hair and made a face. ‘Really need to take a shower. Bet Seiji beats me to ‘em though.’ Passing the bathroom with a glance, Touma continued on to Ryo’s bedroom. ‘Doesn’t look like the bathroom’s full of steam. Either he left us some hot water, or has been out for a while. I’m banking on the latter.’

He rapped his knuckles over Ryo’s door before he stopped completely and leaned his shoulder into the wall as he listened for a response. Frowning after a moment, he knocked again and called out, “Ryo?” Still hearing nothing, he pushed off the wall and wondered if Ryo maybe wasn’t in his room. ‘Maybe he went for a walk in the woods? That would certainly explain why he didn’t come downstairs….’

Still, something didn’t feel right about that. So for the sake of his concern, Touma turned the door knob and stuck his head in. “Ryo?” he called out a bit louder, dark sky-blue eyes landing immediately on the first bed and the figure there-in. Quirking an eyebrow at the change in beds, Touma shook his head and pulled back out of the room, pulling the door shut before him.

‘How the hell did he sleep through all that?’ he wondered as he walked to his and Seiji’s room, the sound of Seiji’s voice calling his name drawing him from his thoughts before they grew too deep. “Huh?”

Rolling his eyes patently, Seiji leaned his shoulder against the wall near the bathroom door and calmly repeated himself. “Is he alright Touma?”

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, Touma nodded. “He’s asleep at least. I don’t see how he could have slept through all of that though. There’s nothing wrong with his hearing.” Seiji made a sound of agreement and Touma sighed. “Nothing happened during practice that he could be hiding did it?” he stepped out on a limb. He didn’t believe Seiji would let the boy get away with that if he was aware of it to begin with, same with Shin, and he himself hadn’t noticed anything.

Seiji shook his head. “No, no injury. He did seem to exhaust himself sooner then he should have. It’s something that has been bothering me for a few weeks now,” he admitted, gaining a frown from Touma.

Now that the blue-haired boy thought about it, their fire warrior had been either leaving early or calling the practices themselves short; more the later then the former. “Do you think he’s getting sick?” Touma ventured.

Seiji made a nondescript motion with his shoulder and pushed off the wall. “I don’t know yet. Check on him after your shower.” Then he vanished within the bathroom’s confines and closed the door behind him.

Touma stood staring after him. ‘Damn it, that mean’s I’ll have to wait a good hour or so before I get mine.’ Making a face after the blond, Touma stuck his tongue out at the door and turned back to their room. Kicking the door closed behind him, he left the balcony door open as he stepped out. Releasing an aggravated breath, Touma dropped down into the beanbag chair he kept in the corner and stared off at the sky. His thoughts running rampant, he failed to catch the glint of retreating eyes glancing back at his and Ryo’s joined balcony.