Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ The Little Sea Ronin ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A couple notes before we begin:
I'll be using the dub names for the ronins, since I like them better. However I prefer the original names for the warlords/masho, so I'll be using those for those characters.
I don't own any of the characters so please don't sue me. This was written purely for my own personal enjoyment and of others.
Anyhoo, enjoy! All C&C welcome. No flames please, Ryo needs to save his strength for fighting the Dynasty! ^_^


The Little Sea Ronin
By Sakura
Part One

There was once a vast undersea kingdom ruled by a powerful, yet well loved king. The sea king had many children, both sons and daughters, but one in particular was his favorite.
Prince Sai, the king's youngest son was the favorite of all of the kingdom of Torrent. Of all the king's offspring, he was the one who was always willing to lend a hand or tail to a weary worker or soothe a crying child's fears.
He was also extremely curious and could always be seen swimming amongst the sunken wrecks of human ships. Little did he know that his peaceful life under the sea was about to change forever.

*****

Inside his richly furnished cabin, a boy with long, black hair and piercing, sapphire eyes sat polishing his rapier trying not to think about all that water surrounding him. Beside him lay a large, white tiger, dozing off as the waves gently rocked the ship.
"I don't know how you can stand it, White Blaze. All this water makes me nervous. I can't wait till we reach land again."
There was a knock at the door. The boy sighed before answering, "Come in."
The door opened to reveal another boy of similar build, though he stood a couple inches taller. His blond hair was short and styled in such a way that it covered the right half of his face. He coolly strode into the cabin and sat on the bed as the only chair was currently occupied.
"What's up, Sage?" asked his dark haired friend.
"I'd ask the same thing of you, Ryo," said the blond whose full name happened to be Sage no Korin of the house of Halo.
"What do you mean?"
"Ryo, it's your eighteenth birthday today and you've hadn't come out of this cabin since we've begun this little cruise home," said Sage, flicking the hair out of his face only to have it bounce back into place.
"You know me, all this water and no land for miles and miles. You know how I don't like water," he said laughing nervously.
"Ryo, that may fool Kento, but this is me you're talking to. You're worried the queen will push another one of her matches on you again. Am I right?"

He was right, as always. During the past year, as his eighteenth birthday approached, his mother the queen had been trying to hook him up with every princess and noble lady within a thousand miles of the Wildfire kingdom. He couldn't blame her for wanting to have grandchildren, but he had been feeling oppressed and still wanted to enjoy his youth while he still could.
That was why he and his guardians and friends Kento and Sage had been on this particular ship. The blond nobleman had suggested a vacation to a island resort for two months and they were now on their way home.

Ryo nodded, not wanting to voice the truth they all knew. Sage put a sympathetic hand on his shoulder. "I don't blame you, Ryo," he said with a small smile on his lips. "It's almost as bad at home for me too. Mother just can't understand why I haven't chosen a bride yet, either."
Sage's mother never needed to look for candidates for her handsome son. He was a virtual babe magnet. His outward air of coolness and aloofness added a sense of mystery which drew females, and the occasional male, to him like crazy. Plus he was known to flirt every now and then.

"That's easy for you to say," snapped the black haired boy. "You're not the one in danger of being forced into a marriage you don't want."
"I know, but you've got to understand your mother for a moment here. Face it Ryo, you're a prince of a rich kingdom with no father and no brothers so you'll have to marry and produce an heir otherwise there'll be utter confusion among the rest of us nobles."
"Don't think I don't know that, Sage. Believe me, I do. It's just that I wanna enjoy my freedom while I still can."
Sage offered his liege and friend another sympathetic smile before turning to leave the cabin."
"Oi! Is he comin' or do we have dinner without him? Again." came a boisterous voice just as the blond opened the door. Both Ryo and Sage winced when their ears recovered from Kento's bellowed question.
"I almost forgot. I also came to tell you it's time for dinner," said Sage, silently plotting the death or at least suffering of a certain stocky royal guardian as he strode out the door.
Ryo looked at the now closed door and shrugged. 'Might as well go out now,' he thought and opened the door. The tiger who had been dozing and quietly listening in on their conversation, rose to follow.
"Nuh-uh, 'Blaze. You're staying put this time. Last time you snuck off to the cargo hold and ate almost the entire day's catch." The tiger shrunk back guiltily a bit, remembering the huge stomachache he had after he binged out in the cargo hold. "It was a good thing you did that though, we had to take a break for a whole day to re-catch what you ate. Now I won't be home till after my birthday," Ryo said petting him on the head and winking. "At least I won't have to go through one of her 'little celebrations', ne?"
White Blaze pressed into the hand petting him, wanting more, but the dark haired prince quickly removed it and left his favorite pet to join his friends for dinner. "I'll have the cook bring you something, 'kay?" he called through the door before heading to the captain's dining hall.

*****

Although he had indeed escaped one of his mother's 'little celebrations', which were in reality ultra-extravagant parties with the works, he still had to suffer through yet another birthday party, albeit a rather minuscule one compared to what she always thrust on him.
Dinner had been a feast in his honor, of course, which Kento had enjoyed with his usual gusto for food. Ryo smiled remembering the many times he and Sage had to kick him under the table to keep him from eating the entire meal himself.
He was now on the deck, at the insistence of the captain and a certain blond guardian, leaning against the rail and gazing at the sky reflected on the midnight blue waves. He had been there ever since after dinner, but no one dared to bother him for they were too busy either singing, drinking, or playing on their instruments to notice the solitary prince. Besides Kento and Sage knew better than to bother him that day.
Nor did anyone notice the slight figure swimming along the side of the ship.

*****

"So these are humans," Sai murmured watching the various figures as they sang and danced. He had never seen humans so close before and wondered how anything so clumsy looking move about so easily without the help of a tail.
He had been sulking in his grotto, that he'd discovered a few years ago, after being scolded for sneaking off to the surface to visit an air spirit he'd befriended when he saw the shadow of a ship pass over him in the dying sunlight. Letting his curiosity get the better of him, he left the grotto and headed straight for the ship and was now perched in one of the lifeboats along the side of the ship.
He was watching a blond haired human laugh as a stocky one tried to dance only to land flat on his face when his eyes fell upon a lone dark figure on the opposite side of the deck, his back turned to him. "Wonder what's wrong with that one. Doesn't he like parties?" Sai said. He could tell the humans were having some kind of celebration and failed to understand why anyone would not want to include themselves in the merriment. If he didn't have a tail, Sai would have leapt over the railing and joined the figures congregating on the ship's deck.
A loud booming noise drew his attention and he saw the stocky human from before had a bottle in one hand and was singing at the top of his lungs, obviously drunk. Poor Sai quickly covered his ears and winced while the blond snuck up behind the muscular boy and promptly thunked him on the head, causing him to stop singing and lose his balance again. Sai couldn't stop himself from laughing and fearful someone might hear him, quickly ducked under the tarp covering the lifeboat.
"So whatcha think?" said a voice beside the little merboy.
Sai eeped and almost fell out off his perch from the sudden fright. "Great Neptune! Rowan don't sneak up on me like that!"
A translucent blue haired figure appeared above him sitting on the railing. "Sorry about that, Sai. Just couldn't resist," he said smiling at his friend.
"Ro-chan, you'd better get down from there before the humans see you."
"Nah it doesn't matta if they see me. They're so drunk now that they'll be seeing mermaids in the moon pretty soon."
Sai had to giggle at that. The air spirit was right, as usual when it came to human behavior. He was an air spirit after all and had observed humans all his life, which made him an expert on humans in Sai's eyes. Before he met the blue haired spirit, he thought any behavior at all from humans was strange. But when Rowan explained that they could be even more strange when drunk, from drinking too much of what he called liquor, he had no idea what it was like until now.
One of the sailors shouted and pointed off the bow saying he saw a mermaid's tail. Thankfully Sai and Rowan were nowhere near the bow.
"See what I mean?"
Sai nodded, relieved to see the other humans laugh at the foolish one who said he spotted a mermaid and go back to partying, making themselves even more drunk. Humans sure were funny.
Apparently his blue haired friend though same thing as he tried his best to stop laughing as a particular stocky boy began singing again. Rowan's laugh reminded the little merboy of the gentle, warm sea breeze as he sunned himself on the rocks at the surface.
Suddenly there was a whooshing noise then a loud explosion and a bright splash of color lit the night sky. Sai settled himself further into the lifeboat and stared, enraptured by the fireworks blazing across the sky. He had seen displays of color as many fluorescent fish swam and danced during the many balls his father and mother held, but nothing compared to the sudden garish flash of color that quickly faded away leaving only the velvety dark night sky and silvery stars.
Rowan, however, had seen fireworks displays thousands of times and wasn't even surprised. In fact he was rather bored now that the comedians had stopped their performing in favor of watching their own 'magic'.
"What is that Ro-chan?" Sai asked as another starburst of color appeared in the sky.
"Fireworks. Humans make 'em wheneva they're throwin' a party," said the bored air spirit.
"Fire? Works?" Sai was completely puzzled. He had seen pictures of fires in the many books he found and hid inside his private grotto, but the colored blasts looked nothing like fire. How could they be works of fire when most of the bursts resembled multicolored sea anemones.
"Don' ask. I don' exactly get it mysel'. These humans gotta crazy way of namin' things."
"I'll say," agreed Sai. Though all the humans had now gathered at the stern of the ship, the black haired figure he'd seen before was still leaning against the rail, hardly paying attention to the fireworks display above him. "That one doesn't seem too happy, though," said the merboy pointing to the lone human across from them.
"I know. Shame he's got a sour look on 'im. He's a real looka. Why dontcha go on ova and take a peek?" said the air spirit with a wink. "Maybe cheer 'im up?"
"Rowan! I can't believe you said that!" Sai knew all too well what would happen if he were to be caught be the humans. Still, he wasn't that shocked at his friend's proposal. He looked at the figure again and was once again fighting against his desire to go cheer the lonely human up.
Just when he lost the battle and was about to swim over to the other side of the ship, when the human in question turned around. Sai immediately ducked for cover and his ethereal friend vanished, but still hovered nearby, invisible. When the footsteps stopped, Sai dared to show himself and looked up to see the dark haired human had positioned himself just off to the side of the lifeboat. He ducked for cover yet again, but when the human made no sound or movement, he remembered that despite the fireworks lighting the sky, it was still dark enough that it would be difficult to be spotted. Especially by a rather sulky human.
He cautiously took a peep at the human and -
Thwak!
Cupid's arrow hit its mark.
He was looking at the most beautiful human he'd ever seen. Granted the ones on the ship were the first ones he's seen, but this one was the most beautiful of all of them. He had thought the stocky one kind of cute and had found himself more than once staring at the blond haired human who seemed to be his friend since they hung together was gorgeous, but they paled in comparison to the dark figure who was just mere inches away from him.
He had long, ebony black hair that reminded him of the sky on a cloudy night and brilliant blue eyes resembling the color of the ocean waters of his home. Both features stood out against the honey tanned skin.
Sai silently thanked the gods he was allowed to view such a dazzling sight without getting caught. The human let out a soft sigh as he continued to lean against the railing blissfully unaware of the pair of eyes staring at him in utter fascination and adoration. The merboy saw the despondent look on the human's face and began to wonder what could possibly make such a beautiful and kind looking person so sad.
"There you are, Ryo," said the blond human as he came up to him. "I was sure you'd come watch the fireworks with us since you love them so much."
"I don't feel like celebrating much, Sage, this is supposed to be the last night of my freedom. After we reach home, it'll be balls and calls to every princess and noblewoman within reach of my mother non-stop," he replied. "I'm going down below to check on 'Blaze. Would you say good night to everyone for me?"
'Please don't go!' Sai thought as the black haired human called Ryo turned to leave. The blond, Sage, nodded and placed a sympathetic hand on his shoulder for the third time that day. Both boys then left, Ryo towards the stairs leading into the ship, Sage back towards the throng watching the fireworks.
"Poor Ryo," Sage said thinking of the torture the queen no doubt had planned for his best friend.
Disappointed, Sai got up from the lifeboat seat and sat on the edge, ready to go 'below' himself. "Quite a view, eh?" said the air spirit looking after the blond as he re-materialized on the railing. Sai could only blush and nod, staring longingly in the direction Ryo had taken.
Noticing his friend wasn't looking in the same direction, Rowan chuckled. 'Bet he's hooked on that one already.' "Ya betta get goin' Sai. Ya don' want yer old man ta worry."
Rowan's words jolted the merboy out of his personal dream world and stared as if he'd never seen a face before. "Did you say something, Ro-chan?"
"Yeah, I said it's late. Ya gotta get home if ya don' wanna get in trouble fer sneakin' out again."
"Oh my gosh! You're right! I've gotta go! I'll see you tomorrow Ro-chan, that is if I'm not grounded again."
With that the little merboy dove off the lifeboat and into the sea below. The air spirit shook his head in sympathy. "Poor kid's gonna be in a heap o' trouble," he said before turning invisible again and leaving for wherever it is that air spirits call home.

*****

The next day, the weather at sea had been bad. The water was rough and the sky was overcast with heavy storm clouds. No doubt a huge storm was imminent.
Despite the constant rain, Sai had once again snuck up to the surface to watch the humans, or more specifically, a certain boy named Ryo. Being of the sea himself, the rain did not bother him and thought nothing of the fact that most humans, especially Ryo, hated rain. Ryo was not on deck today and the poor merboy was disappointed. He'd been watching all day and it was now well past sunset. He was about to leave when the sky lit up from lightning and thunder made his ears hurt. Suddenly a voice rang out:
"Fire! The mast's on fire!"
Looking up at the ship, Sai saw that lightning had struck the huge mast in the middle of the ship and was indeed on fire and was rapidly being devoured by the flames due to the hurricane-like wind in spite of the rain and waves crashing onto the ship.
Realizing the ship was done for, t he humans began to pile into the life boats. In one he saw the blond haired Sage and a heavyset human with blue-black hair, the one who had been drunk and singing the night before. Suddenly, Ryo appeared on deck followed by a large, black and white creature. The boy then pushed the creature toward the railing.
"C'mon you stupid tiger! Jump! This is no time for you to act like a cat!" he yelled. The flames ever so slowly crept towards them, Ryo was doing his best trying to keep them at bay so he and Whiteblaze could escape into the last remaining lifeboat. "I'll be right behind you. Now go!" Ryo then pushed the tiger overboard into the churning sea. He was about to jump himself when a piece of yardarm fell and hit his head knocking him unconscious and far overboard into the water. With Ryo's power no longer controlling it, the fire destroyed what was left of the ship and the angry sea claimed what could not float.
Seeing Ryo get knocked into the water, the merboy screamed, "IYA!!!!!!" Disregarding the law against rescuing humans, he dove beneath the raging waves and thanked the gods he was able to find the black haired human quickly. Remembering humans needed air in order to live, he rushed back to the surface and began to drag his precious cargo toward a huge piece of wreckage floating nearby.
Once he had gotten the human boy safely on the wood, Sai then began to push the makeshift raft towards what he hoped and prayed was dry land. He swam and pushed the driftwood all through the night till he was forced to lay his head on the raft as he drifted off to sleep.

*****

Sai woke to find he was lying in the shallow surf water of some strange beach. Luckily for him there were a few boulders that hid him from human eyes. His head was on a plank of wood and a boy with long, black hair lay on it. He stared sleepily for a few moments, then it all came back to him, waiting at the ship for Ryo to appear, the storm, the fire, and dragging the human from the sea's deadly grasp.
Struggling to get closer to the prone body, his tail flip-flopped like, well like, a fish out of water. 'How did humans move about up here?' he thought as he finally reached his goal. He placed his head on Ryo's chest and once again thanked the gods when he heard a quickly steadying heartbeat.
"Thanks to me, you're going to live. How you humans live as long as you do is way beyond me." The boy began to stir and a lock of his hair fell into his eyes. Brushing it away, the merboy swallowed hard and placed his lips on his.
Opening his eyes, Ryo saw a blurry figure was lying next to him. 'Sage,' he thought. No the figure had auburn hair, Sage's was a golden blond. "Who?" he choked out.
"Shh. It's all right," whispered a soft voice in his ear. Ryo felt soft hands stroking him. "You're safe now." Losing the battle against sleep, he closed his eyes lulled by the gentle voice and soft hands. For some reason, he drew the unknown person closer to him.
Sai started when he felt strong arms pull him close to the shivering human body. Blushing, he fought against the sudden urge to flee. After all, the human would survive, why should he bother to stay? Looking around and seeing no signs of humans, he gave into his desire and need for sleep and lay his head under Ryo's chin, warming the human boy in the process.

*****

"Ryo! Where are you Ryo?!! Answer me!"
Sai woke up to the sounds of unfamiliar voices and a strange warmth on his back and beneath him.
"Man, if we don't find 'im our asses are toast," said a stocky figure just appearing in sight.
"Don't worry Kento, we'll find the prince. Whiteblaze can follow his scent better than any bloodhound remember?", said the blond he'd seen not too long ago.
"Yeah I know, Sage, but what if he's-"
"Kento of Hardrock!! Don't even go there! Ryo's alive! I know it!"
The large, black and white creature Sai had seen earlier was running in front of them occasionally stopping to sniff the air. Catching a familiar scent wrapped with a strange unfamiliar one, it roared and rushed toward where he and his human love lay.
Thanking there were small boulders hiding him from the humans' eyes, the merboy quickly dragged himself back to the surf and made a beeline for open sea. Once he was a good distance out, he silently surfaced and looked on as the two humans and their strange pet take the boy into their arms and help him as they returned the way they came.
Sighing, he stayed aloft until the humans could no longer be seen. "If only I could be with you, Ryo," he said barely noticing how he had said the human's name. "Then I'd never have to leave you." He blushed at the memory of kissing the sleeping boy and how he slept in his arms as the human held him. Sadly and reluctantly, Sai dove back under the waves and swam home, a great burden and longing in his heart.

*****

He sat in a miserable heap on the floor of his secret grotto. Over the past few days, he had completely changed. He now avoided his brothers and sisters and friends. Even the air spirit, Rowan, hadn't seen him since the party on Ryo's now sunken ship.
He'd swim off to his favorite hiding place as soon as he finished his meals and chores. There he'd sit and mope, trying desperately to forget how he'd fallen in love with a human let alone rescued one and slept in his arms. He was secretly glad no one had found out though. If they had, his punishment would have been far worse instead of being restricted to city limits.
He had never felt so warm then, not even when he had sunned himself on the many rocks he discovered on his trips to the surface world. Nor had he felt so safe. Ever since his mother's death, no one had ever bothered to hold the young prince while he was growing up and he missed the feeling and sound of a heartbeat next to his head as he slept in someone's arms. And now that he had gotten a taste of it again three days ago, it was all he wanted.
He hadn't been moping for long though. While he lay awake last night, he had come up with a plan. He remembered a tale Rowan had told of him of a mysterious sea wizard who granted wishes to many a merperson who was foolish enough to believe his lies, for those who went to him were never seen again. He would usually be frightened by such a tale, but his desperation was beginning to cloud his better judgment. He would brave the sea wizard and ask, and even beg if he had to, him to help him forget the cause for his recent misery.
That was why he was once again moping in his grotto today. He sighed not noticing the snake like creature slither its way into his sacred hiding place.
"Poor, poor, little prince. Not feeling too well today are we?"
Sai nearly hit his head on the grotto's ceiling when he started at the voice. Hovering around him was a very snake-like eel who had an usually sly look on his face for an eel.
"Who are you? How'd you find me?" the merprince asked once he recovered from the shock.
The eel swam up to the quivering merboy before saying, "My name's not important. I've come to say that my master knows what ails you, little fishy and wishes to help cheer you up."
"I don't understand what you're saying. W-what master?" Somehow this eel gave him a very uneasy feeling.
The eel circled around him, its tail wrapping around the slender waist in a tight, yet gentle embrace. "Oh he knows all about your little trips to the surface world, Prince Sai. Especially about how you rescued a certain airbreather, which last I heard was against your father's law."
Sai paled at mention of his rescue of Ryo and how he'd broken the law. 'How does this 'master' know that?' "I-is your master the sea wizard?" he asked timidly.
The eel chuckled. "Bright boy. He has sent me to offer you his help. That is if you want it," it said whispering in his ear as he unwound itself. "But I'm sure a pretty little FISH like you could easily get that human all by yourself," it said spitting the word 'fish'.
He watched as the eel slithered toward the entrance. Here was his chance! But wait a moment, he had planned to ask to forget about the human. How could this lowly creature know what he truly desired? Could it even be possible, to be able to be with Ryo and not have to worry about disappearing at the first sign of humans? He wanted to go to this wizard, but he suddenly grew fearful again. 'Come on Sai! Get a hold of yourself. Didn't you plan to do this anyway? Now here's your chance and don't you dare blow it!' he said to himself. Swallowing the fear, Sai took a deep breath and shouted at the eel, "Matte!!"
"Oh did you have something to say little fish prince?" it said mockingly. 'Rajura-sama was right, this one's VERY gullible,' it thought with a smirk.
"I will a-accept your master's help. W-would you take me to him, please?" the merboy managed to get out.
Smiling to itself, the eel thought, 'YES!! We've got him!' "But of course, your highness," it said with mock courtesy, "Follow me."
Taking another deep breath, Sai followed the eel out of the grotto and to the far edges of his father's kingdom.

*****

Realizing he was now at the very edge of Torrent’s boundaries, Sai began to get a very uneasy feeling. He knew that once he left the boundaries, he’d be completely helpless against the various predatory sea creatures known to live beyond them. But he needed to speak with his guide’s master. He wanted to be with Ryo so much that it didn’t matter if he got eaten. Anything was better than spending the rest of his life being miserable and safe in his large and empty palace.
Sensing his ‘companion’s’ uneasiness, the eel looked behind him. "Getting cold fins, fishy? You could turn back now and be miserable or you could follow me. The choice is yours, little prince."
Steeling himself, the merboy gave the eel what he hoped was his best determined look. "Let's go. I wish to get there before nightfall."
Smiling, the eel said, "As you wish, your highness." The last said dripping with sarcasm.
Sai didn't like the eel at all, but if he was to end this misery, he had to bear with it and go as quickly as possible. He boldly swam across the border and followed the eel until he came to a hole in a cliff just big enough for one person. Watching the eel pass through, he took another deep breath and entered the hole as well.
The hole led to a large underground lake hidden deep with in a cavern. The eel was nowhere to be seen, so he swam to the surface and called out rather meekly. "Um... Hello?"

Hidden in the deep shadows, two figures watched as the merprince broke the surface of the lake and look about. "You did well Naaza. This little fish will do very nicely," said one of the figures.
"What I don't understand Rajura-sama, is why you need a brat like him anyway. He's practically useless," said the other.
"Maybe to you he is Naaza, but the sea king's favorite son will get me the throne of the most powerful kingdom in the world. He would do ANYTHING to get his son back and that would include yielding the throne to me." The figure laughed then stepped out of the shadows. It was time to make himself known.

"I am glad you could come visit me, Prince Sai. It has been so long since anyone dared come this far."
The merboy looked about for the source of the voice, which seemed to echo from everywhere and nowhere at once. A tall figure stepped out of the shadows to reveal a HUMAN man with long, white hair; an eye was covered by an eyepatch which was partially hidden by the flowing locks. Sai could only stare in shock. Was this the sea wizard he'd been searching for?
"You weren't expecting a human now were you," he said with a smile. It was more of a fact than a question. "So my little pet didn't tell you after all. I should have known Naaza would leave that out."
Pet? What was he talking about? And who was this Naaza he spoke of? The only ones he'd seen today were this human and a rather snaky eel. Could this Naaza be the eel? He decided to put those questions away for now and get this over with. "Y-you're the sea wizard?!" he stammered.
"Magician."
"N-nani?"
"I prefer magician, but yes I am he," said the human looking straight at the merboy. He looked to be only a few years old than him, but the piercing blue eye told Sai he was actually a lot older.
"Forgive me sir, I r-really didn't know what to expect," Sai said bowing respectfully as he'd been taught when addressing his elders.
"Quite all right, my dear boy. Now I understand you wish to ask for my help with a certain human," he said sensing Sai's impatience to leave.
"H-hai! How do you know about that?"
"Let's say that I, too, have my secrets," replied the magician with a sly smile.
Sai blushed. He hadn't spoken to anyone about what had happened when he disappeared for a whole day. Not even his closest friends at the palace and now he felt slightly guilty for keeping secrets from them.
"C-can you give me something to help me forget?" the merboy asked timidly.
"Forget him? Is that what you really want? I think your heart says otherwise," said the magician as he placed his hand onto the surface of a small pool Sai hadn't noticed before. A soft light shot from the pool's water and the merboy was compelled to swim over to it and peer into it.
He saw himself leaning over the unconscious Ryo and gently kiss the human boy on the lips. Sai blushed at the memory of that day, a wistful smile creeping on his face. The image faded to be replaced a moment later by one with him sleeping in the human boy's arms, a peaceful smile on their faces. Unwillingly, Sai let out a soft sigh.
"That's what you truly wish for isn't it? For that lovely human to love you in return," came the magician's silky voice snapping him back to harsh reality.
Sai forced himself to realize that was indeed what he had wanted ever since he'd laid eyes on Ryo. "But it's impossible! Neither one of us can be from our homes for long." A tear came to his eyes.
The magician took a slender, pale hand and gently wiped the tear away. "Is that what you believe, little prince? It is only so if you remain as you are, dear fish, but if you were like me, then perhaps -"
"A-are you saying you can make me into a human?!" Sai asked shocked.
"I could, but everything has its price, dear Sai." The man's face was inches away from his, a seductive smile on his lips. His trap was set now, he had lured his prey out of hiding and now all he had to do was wait for him to take the bait.
The merboy remained motionless and silent for several moments. It was a major decision for him. Becoming human meant he'd have to leave his undersea home, family and friends forever with no hope of ever returning. He didn't want this, but he wanted to be with Ryo more.
Now any sensible person would have said 'no thank you' and high-tailed it out of there without ever looking back. But Sai's love for the human boy and the recent memory of the day he spent with him severely clouded his judgment. Finally making up his mind, he spoke.
"Name your price, sir. I didn't bring anything with me, but whatever it is, I'll get for you at once!"
The man chuckled. "That won't be necessary, little one," he said caressing a soft cheek. "You have what I want right here." He stroked his neck with one pale finger causing the merboy to shiver.
What could this human possibly want? Him? "I-I don't understand, sir. I-I can't do that, if that's what you want," Sai said blushing profusely.
The magician laughed before answering. "How amusing you are, your highness. I'm sure your human would adore you. You needn't worry, Sai dear, that is definitely not what I want." At least not yet, he added silently. "What I want is that lovely voice of yours and your solemn word that if that boy falls for someone else you will return here to me."
Sai was surprised. All this strange human wanted was his voice?! What could he do with it? "If I don't have my voice, how can I -"
"You shouldn't need a voice to speak, little fish. Those pretty eyes of yours tell me everything." He chuckled again as Sai blushed at yet another compliment. "But if you'd rather keep it, then I suggest you go home." He turned and started to walk away.
"Matte! I'll do it! You can have my voice, if that's what it takes to be with Ryo!"
The magician stopped, an evil smirk on his face. His prey had taken the bait and was now trapped in his web. Turning back to the merboy, he said, "Are you sure?"
"HAI!! I'll let you have my voice."
Smiling, the human knelt so he could look the merboy in the face. "Good. Now give me your word that you'll return should he fail to love you," he said solemnly.
"I promise," came a soft reply.
The magician produced a knife out of thin air and held it to Sai's throat. "Don't worry, little fish this won't kill you. It'll only sting for a moment." He drew it across the soft skin and the merboy winced at the pain. A thin line of red appeared. He carefully collected the drops of blood into a shell before gently running a finger along the cut, healing it as it went. There was now a very faint scar on Sai's neck. "Now that wasn't so bad was it?"
Feeling his throat, Sai whispered, "I-Ie."
"That was for the potion I shall give you and also to remind you of your promise to me. Now for your payment." Sai gulped not knowing what the magician was going to do to take his voice. Smiling at his uneasiness, the magician chuckled softly then touched his lips to Sai's.
The merboy stiffened when the magician began to kiss him. What was this human doing?! Was this how he was going to take his voice? "Open your mouth, little one," said the magician never taking his lips from Sai's. He hesitantly obeyed and the mouth kissing his began to suck hungrily on his. After what seemed like hours, the magician broke the kiss. Producing a clamshell from his clothes, he opened it and breathed into it before quickly shutting it tight again. "That was rather nice. Don't you think so?" he asked the now panting merboy.
Sai opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came. He tried again and still no sound came to the words his mouth formed. The magician chuckled once his victim realized that he indeed had taken his voice. "What did you expect, little prince? You were thinking I'd slit that lovely throat again?"
He nodded and the magician laughed.
"Wait there, I shall return in a little bit with your potion," he commanded.
Sai pulled himself onto the lake's shore and sat to wait for the magician's return.

In a hidden chamber, the magician gathered the necessary ingredients for his potion and was now mixing them together. "Did you enjoy yourself, Rajura-sama?" said a green haired man with snake's eyes.
"Tsk. Tsk. You were spying again, Naaza. But yes the prince is a very charming distraction. I think I'll keep him after all." He smiled at what he imagined he'd do with the delicious little merboy.
"Do you really think that fool will get you the throne?"
"If he doesn't, it wouldn't be a complete failure," he murmured.
"Huh?"
"Why don't you go see if our guest is still there, Naaza."
The green haired man shrugged then silently left the white haired man who was mixing the potion and laughing to himself.

*****

The magician had returned a short while later carrying a crystal snail shaped bottle with a dark liquid inside. Sai stared at it not sure if that was indeed the potion the human promised or something else.
Noticing where the merboy was looking, he smiled and said, "Yes little one, this is your potion. One word of caution, little fish. Do not drink it until you've reached land otherwise you'll drown." He was about to say something about how he was the best swimmer in the kingdom, but the man stopped him. "Do you know how to swim with human legs?" Sai shook his head forlornly. "Didn't think so. Once you've taken the potion, you'll feel a great pain but it should go away in a while. Also there is no guarantee he'll love you. Do you still want this?" He held the bottle just beyond his reach, letting it dangle like a treat in front of a dog.
Sai nodded grimly and pleaded with his eyes for him to give him the potion. The magician finally gave in and let him take the potion from him. Clutching it to his chest like a precious jewel, the merboy made to leave, silently waving his thanks.
"Don't forget our bargain, little prince. If you do, I will seek you out and it will be most painful once I find you," called the magician.
Sai turned and nodded, crossing his heart to signify that he would not forget, all the while praying he'd never have to return to the dark cavern.

"Just like that, you're letting him go," said Naaza once the merboy had dove under the surface.
"He'll be back. If that human boy doesn't find a human lover, I'll make sure Prince Sai gets a good reason for returning to me."
"You're up to something Rajura-sama. What do you have in mind?" he said with his usual snake-like smile.
"Not much, this little trinket most certainly may come in handy," said Rajura stroking a clamshell around his neck.

*****