Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Vamps and Ronins ❯ Myths Come to Life ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Vamps and Ronins

Chapter One: Myths Come to Life

By: Tiasha

~

Walking around I hear the earth seeking relief

I'm trying to find a reason to live

But the mindless clutter my path

Oh these thorns in my side

I know I have something free

I have something so alive

I think they shoot 'cause they want it

Creed, "Bullets"

~

Robyn quickened her footsteps, a frown appearing on her face as a figure in the crowd quickened its footsteps as well. Adrenaline began to flow through her like a tidal wave as she continued to try and lose the figure once again...and failed once again. Desperately, she began running through the crowd, weaving in and out, bumping into other pedestrians and knocking a few others over. She repeatedly apologized but did not slow her pace; turning a corner, she found herself trapped in an alleyway blocked by a wire fence.

Chest heaving up and down, Robyn allowed her shoulders to sag momentarily before squaring them and racing to the wire fence. The fence had to be at least eight feet high and for a short moment, Robyn wondered if she would make it over alive. Swallowing the sudden lump in her throat, Robyn placed one foot in one slot and her other foot into another; she gripped the wire in both her hands and slowly pushed herself up with her legs, only pulling when need be.

Halfway up, she heard footsteps echo behind her and bullet whiz past her right shoulder. Biting down her wish to scream, she continued to push herself up, concentrating on the wire fence and her task of escaping. A yelp escaped her pale lips as one bullet grazed her left cheek and another lodged itself in her left arm. Yet she continued to climb, ignoring the searing pain in her upper left arm. Reaching the top, she flipped herself over onto the other side and landed roughly on the asphalt.

Her body ached, that she knew but she also knew that if she did not run she was as good as dead. Groaning, Robyn pushed herself up and slowly, painfully, she placed both feet on the ground before sprinting to the other end of the alley. She could hear a few curses behind her followed by a high-pitched shriek and hiss. Sighing inwardly, she raced for the subway/metro, glancing briefly behind her and caught a glimpse of a magnificent bird above. Pushing forth one last burst of speed, Robyn raced into the nearest subway cab before the doors closed and lurched forward to its next destination.

Ignoring the curious glances and shocked stares, Robyn clutched her left arm and moved to an open seat. A young man moved over slightly and allowed her to have more room, smiling sincerely as he did so. Robyn nodded and smiled her thanks before sinking into the stiff, plastic chair. No one said a word to the young redhead as the deep red blotch on her lavender three-quarter-length sleeve shirt grew larger and larger. Absent-mindedly, Robyn wiped the thin trail of blood on her cheek away on the back of her right hand.

To anyone and everyone, the young redhead seemed shocked that she had been attacked and by the wounds that had been inflicted on her; however, she was not entirely worried about her injuries but confused. She had been attacked with a gun, but why? Her attackers were naturally capable of a much more efficient and...satisfying way.

Shaking her head, Robyn closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths, trying to calm her rapid heartbeat. Unbeknownst to her, she was being watched critically by a pair of gold eyes.

~*~~*~~~*~~~~*~~~~~*

A lone figure stood atop a building in the city of Tokyo, glaring as she watched a redhead run to the safety of the subway/metro below. A frown appeared on her face as the young woman disappeared. The young woman was proving to be more difficult than expected and of course Cody of Gaea had to intervene.

The figure snorted at the thought of the young atarashii ronin actually attempting to comprehend the situation. However, the figure was not interested in the young ronin but more in that the young redhead's recent attackers had used weapons.

They aren't even supposed to be out at this time of the day, the figure thought, narrowing her ice blue eyes at the men below. She crossed her arms over her maroon armored chest, realizing that those men were hired help. Watching one Japanese man in particular, the figure watched as the Japanese man turned into a vacant alley and began to shape-shift into young woman.

"Gaki," she said simply, glaring at the Japanese 'myth'. "This is becoming a far worse situation. Darn it child, why can you not just give me what I need?"

~*~~*~~~*~~~~*~~~~~*

Joshua watched silently as the young redhead closed her eyes and leaned back in the subway seat, confused as to why she had gunshot wounds. He knew that she should be dead at this very moment, but she was alive. He frowned in anger; this was not supposed to happen!

Clearing his throat, he looked at the redhead with another sincere smile upon his face. "Miss, are you all right? Do you need help getting to the hospital?" he asked, watching her carefully. She looked up at him with curious eyes before shaking her head, her hair creating a curtain around her face.

"I'll be fine...thank you," she said, seeming somewhat detached at the moment. Joshua nodded his head, a smirk on his face.

That's what you think, hun, he thought to himself. He casually looked at his watch before glancing at the back of the cab and frowned. They had expected her to take the subway that was the only reason he could conjure, having seen a man in his late twenties eyeing the young woman next to him. Either that or this man was another female-abducting thief in Tokyo.

He gripped the armrest as the metro rail slowed to a stop, releasing and gaining passengers before lurching forward again. Another young man came and sat down next to him, nodding a greeting as he did so. This man was in his early twenties at least and Joshua sighed inwardly with relief as he recognized this young man.

"What are you doing here?" Joshua asked quietly, trying not to gain any attention from the man in the back. The man next to him merely grinned as he tapped the bridge of his nose and a pair of sunglasses. Joshua nodded in understanding, and glanced at his watch again. Five in the evening.

"We won't be the only ones who will be after this child," Joshua heard the young man say next to him. He glanced at him sideways and frowned.

"I know Scott. That's what I'm afraid of," he whispered, eyeing the man in the back of the subway cab again.

---

Scott followed his gaze and frowned, glaring at the man in his late twenties from behind his sunglasses. Closing his eyes, he allowed the beast that lay curled in the back of his mind to awaken slightly. Reaching out with his senses, he found nothing. Puzzled, he tried again. Nothing.

"Josh man, we are in way over our heads," he whispered. "How we allowed Phoenix to talk us into this is beyond me."

"For one, she is our friend. Always has been and always will be...besides, I owe her a lot. More than you could ever know," Joshua hissed, his brows furrowing in annoyance.

"I know that! What I mean is, why is she so interested in this girl?" questioned Scott, keeping his voice low. Joshua shrugged his shoulders.

"She will brief us on everything once we find out where this girl's home is. She says we hit her where it counts should she disagree to cooperate."

Scott's frown deepened, "I still do not like the odds. We may survive the majority of the battles, but the war is in their favor...it always is."

"I know," Joshua whispered, looking at the young woman next to him. To his surprise, she was asleep with a pained expression on his face.

"We get off at Toyama," he heard Scott whisper. He merely nodded, brushing some strands of red hair away from the young woman's face.

Sleep Cherie, sleep while you can at least, he thought and turned to stare out the subway window. I hope you believe in myths and superstitions...Robyn.