Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Soldier Snatch ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ronin Warriors
Warrior Call
By Janime
Part Seven - Soldier Snatch
**********
December
"Ow! Not so tight!" Casey snapped.
"We told you not to eat so much at dinner," Mia said, tying the belt on Casey's kimono.
"No, you told Kento not to eat so much."
"There. Done."
"Why am I being dragged along to this costume party anyway?" Casey asked.
"Because they don't trust you to leave you by yourself," said Jessie, sitting on Mia's bed, watching the two girls get ready for the Shogun Celebration.
The semester was almost over and final exams would be starting next week. The Shogun Celebration was for students and teachers to come dressed up in traditional Japanese outfits and party to the wee hours of the morning.
"So how come you get to stay home?" Casey asked.
"Because I'm watching Yuli since his parents are out of town for the week," Jessie answered.
"That and Kayura said it would be better if you stayed here," Mia pointed out. "The Nether Soldiers might go after you at Tokyo University."
"Jessie, since you're staying home," said Casey, "take off the kimono."
"I'm keeping it on!"
"You have a shirt and jeans on. Wearing your kimono looks a little ridiculous with that."
"Yuli's wearing his karate gi," said Jessie. "We're doing this to blend with the Warlords."
"You mean your four babysitters," said Casey.
"If they heard you call them that, Kayura would kick your butt for all four of them," Mia said, putting her hair into a bun.
"Actually, I don't know who'll be watching who," Jessie admitted. "The Warlords will be watching over me because of the Nether Soldiers, and Yuli because they treat him like a little brother. Or Yuli and I will be watching over them."
"Why would you be watching over them?" Mia asked confused. She looked at Casey who tried to stifle a laugh.
"Ryo told us about what Sekhmet did to the dishwasher," Jessie smiled. "I like the excuse you gave to the repairman."
"What was I supposed to tell him? That the Warlord of Venom put his six Snake Fang Swords in my dishwasher?"
"Make sure he never goes near the washer or dryer." Casey laughed.
Ryo walked in, dressed in samurai clothing.
"Ah, the shogun is here," Jessie said. "Konban wa."
"All set?" Ryo asked.
"Yep." Mia picked up her fan.
Yuli ran into the room and jumped on her bed. "I am Yuli of the Wind," he said, "and I challenge you, Ryo of Wildfire."
Some things never change. "I'd accept your challenge if I didn't have an important engagement to keep," said Ryo.
"I am Mia of the Household Rules," said Mia. "Get off the bed."
"C'mon, Yuli," said Jessie. "I'll give you a piggyback ride." She carried him down the stairs and into the living room, depositing him next to Kayura on the couch.
"So what are you guys going to do?" Twyla asked.
"Probably watch a movie," said Kayura. "Nothing too violent for our young sidekick here."
"I'm fourteen," Yuli said, "I'm old enough."
"That's what you think," Jessie said. "Then after we send Yuli to bed we're breaking out a deck of cards and a couple six-packs." Everyone looked at her. "Just kidding."
"So how do we look?" Mia asked.
The girls were dressed in kimonos and the Ronins were wearing samurai clothes that were the same color as their Armors.
"Wonderful," said Kayura as the other Warlords nodded in agreement.
"Awesome," said Yuli, "I wish I could go."
So do I, Yuli, Jessie thought. "Spiffy."
The partygoers bowed. "Sayonara," they said as one, grabbed their coats, and left the house.
Kayura looked at Jessie. "Are you sure you don't want to go into the Dynasty?" she asked.
"And lose the TV?" Jessie asked. "I thought you loved the remarks I made during that movie we watched last time."
"We did," Cale said, "it's just that after what Sekhmet did to the dishwasher-"
"I said I was sorry!" the Warlord of Venom snapped.
"Just leave handling the appliances to Yuli and me," Jessie said.
Shouts and screams erupted from outside. Dayus ran to the window and pulled back the curtain. "Nether Soldiers!" he shouted.
Kayura ran next to him and looked outside. "Ancient One," she gasped. "Watch her!" she ordered the two remaining Warlords and ran outside along with Dayus.
"LET GO!" shouted Casey. "PUT US DOWN!"
"Casey!" Jessie cried; she ran to the door and stopped.
The Ronins and Dayus were wearing their sub-armors. Mia was on the porch behind Kayura, who was holding the Ancient Staff. There were a dozen Nether Soldiers; four of them had Casey, Joana, Gwen, and Twyla under one arm. Jessie tried to run to them, but Cale grabbed her and pulled her back.
"NO! NOOOOO!" Jessie screamed, trying to escape Cale's hold.
"Get her inside!" Kayura shouted.
Cale dragged Jessie, still screaming, into the house. Mia ran in after them.
"Callisto!" one of the Nether Soldiers called. "If you want your friends alive, come out!"
In the living room, Cale was still holding Jessie with his hand over her mouth. Mia was holding Yuli close and Sekhmet was standing by the window with one of his Snake Fang Swords.
"No, sis! Don't listen to him!" Joana cried.
"Stay away, Jessie!" shouted Gwen.
"Don't do it!" Twyla shouted.
Tears steamed down Jessie's face as she listened to the cries of her friends.
"Release them!" Kayura held out the Ancient Staff.
"Give us the Callisto," said the Nether Soldier, "and we will."
Kayura said nothing, hoping that the Ronins would use the brief silence and attack. They did, running towards the Nether Soldiers. One of the Nether Soldiers held his sickle and a glowing ball appeared, which emitted a flash of light and sent the Ronins flying backwards.
"Rescue them if you think you can," said the Nether Soldier and they ran off.
The Ronins watched as the Nether Soldiers disappeared into the forest. Sobs from inside the house drew them back into the living room where they found Jessie sitting on the couch, crying, her hands covering her face.
{It's all my fault,} she thought.
Ryo looked at Jessie. He walked over to her, knelt down, and touched her arm. She lowered her hands and looked at him.
"No, it's not," Ryo said. He'd heard her thoughts again.
"It's because of me they're involved in this," Jessie sniffed. "Please bring them back."
"We will," Ryo promised. "You go upstairs and rest."
Jessie nodded and left the room. Ryo walked outside and whistled. White Blaze came running towards him. "White Blaze," said Ryo, "see if you can pick up their trail."
The tiger pressed his nose to the ground and sniffed. After a few moments he raised his head and growled.
"He has it," Ryo said.
"Then let's go!" said Kento.
"Be careful," said Mia, standing in the doorway with Yuli.
"We will." Ryo said.
"Stay inside the house," said Kayura, now in her sub-armor. "I put a spell on it. The Nether Soldiers won't be able to enter."
"Thank you, Kayura," Mia said. "Good luck." She watched the Ronins and Warlords disappear into the forest and shut the door.
"I'm scared, Mia," Yuli said.
"So am I," she admitted. "Let's go check on Jessie."
They walked upstairs and Mia knocked on the bedroom door.
"Jessie?" she called, opening the door and walked in. "Jessie?" Where is she?
"Mia, look!" said Yuli, standing near Jessie's bed.
She walked next to young boy and picked up Jessie's kimono. "Oh no," Mia whispered, "she didn't."
"Not this again!" Rowen groaned as they arrived at the cave.
"Are the Nether Soldiers developing a thing for caves?" Sage asked.
"At this point," said Cye, "I don't care. I just want to get Joana and the others, and get out."
"Come on," said Ryo, leading the way.
They walked in a few meters when White Blaze turned around and growled. Everyone tensed and Sekhmet silently walked back and swung.
"It's me!"
"What the hell are you doing here?" Sekhmet grabbed Jessie, wearing a winter jacket, and dragged her into everyone's view.
"You must have been an assassin before you got your Armor, right?" Jessie asked the Warlord.
"I told you to stay at the house," said Kayura.
"Not this time," Jessie corrected her. "If you did, I was upstairs. And to answer Sekhmet's question, I'm here to help get my friends back. Okay?"
"It's you they're after, Jessie," Ryo pointed out. "That's why the Nether Soldiers took them."
"I know that," she said. "But I'm not going to let my friends or any of you get used as bait. I'm willing to help them and you guys even if it costs me my life." {You did it once,} she sent to Ryo, {and you would do it again.}
{But they want you alive,} he sent back. "Sekhmet," said Ryo, "take Jessie back to the house."
"Come on," said Sekhmet and they walked away.
"We'll wait here till you get back," Ryo called after them.
"Uh… where's the exit?" Sekhmet asked.
"Right in front of you," said Cye in a singsong voice.
"No, it isn't," Jessie sang back. "Not anymore."
They ran back to where the exit should have been, only to discover it as a dead end.
"Now I really hate this place," said Rowen. The others nodded in agreement as Kayura touched the wall.
"It's solid," she said.
{Maybe I should've stayed at the house,} Jessie thought.
{Yes, you should have,} Ryo sent, causing her to flinch.
"Like it or not, boys," said Kayura, "she has to stay with us."
"I think I'll stay near White Blaze," Jessie said.
As they walked deeper into the cave, Jessie's self-esteem was sinking with every step.
"You never listen," her father's words popped into her mind. "You don't give a damn about anyone except yourself."
{When will I learn?} Jessie asked herself.
{Learn what?} Ryo asked.
{Nothing.}
Ryo looked at her. {Are you okay?}
{I'm fine,} she answered.
"Let go, you walking pile of scrap metal!"
They stopped. That was definitely Casey.
Ryo peeked around the corner and pulled back. "It's them," he said in a low voice, "and the twelve Nether Soldiers."
"And four of them has one girl each," Kayura said quietly. "That brings them down to eight."
"Split up," said Ryo. "Sage, stay with Jessie and White Blaze. Rowen, Cye, you take care of the Nether Soldiers holding the girls. We'll handle the rest."
"But first we need to get the eight away from the others," said Rowen. "Any ideas for a distraction?"
Jessie's face brightened. "Leave that to me." She ran around the corner.
"Get back here!" Dayus hissed. "Are you insane?!"
"Hey boys!" Jessie called. "Looking for me?"
The Nether Soldiers turned around and Jessie ran back into the tunnel where her companions were hiding.
"There you go," she said.
"You are out of your mind," Sage said.
"Thank me later. Here they come."
The eight Nether Soldiers came barreling around the corner and the Ronins and Warlords attacked. Cye and Rowen made it pass the melee and attacked the Nether Soldiers holding the girls. The Nether Soldiers put the girls into a large sphere, which floated above them.
"Destroy us," said the Nether Soldier. "And they'll die."
I know this trick, Kayura thought. She made the staff appear and chanted. A flash of light blinded the Nether Soldiers. Ryo, Sekhmet, Cale, and Dayus attacked them. Kayura sent a beam of energy at the sphere. It shattered and the girls fell. Sage caught Casey, Cye caught Joana, Kento caught Gwen, Rowen unfortunately missed Twyla and she landed on the ground.
"Thanks a lot Brain, Boy!" she snapped.
"Well now we're even for when you kicked my head!" he shot back.
"Please don't fight," said Jessie. "People might start talking about you two."
"What the hell are you doing here?" Casey asked, now on her feet.
"You know, you're the second person that's asked me that today," Jessie said. "Why do you think I'm here? I came here to help you!"
"But, sis, they want you." Joana said, standing next to Cye.
"Yell at her later," said Gwen, holding Kento's hand. "Let's get out of here."
"Can't go back the way we came," Cale said.
"Why not?" Casey asked.
"The entrance is sealed," said Kayura.
"What do you mean 'sealed'?" Twyla asked.
"No exit," said Jessie. "Wall."
"Oh great," said Gwen.
"We're screwed," Casey said.
"Not necessarily," said Kayura. She held out the Staff. "Grab a hold, people. We're going home."
Everyone held onto the Staff. Kayura shut her eyes. They waited.
"Kayura," said Rowen after a few minutes, "now would be a very good time."
"Shut your mouth," Dayus said.
"It won't work!" Kayura opened her eyes and looked at the Staff in distress.
"Why not?" asked Dayus.
"Something's blocking my power." Kayura made the Staff disappear. "I can't teleport us out of here."
"We're trapped here?" Joana asked in dismay.
"No, we just have to find another way out, that's all," Ryo said.
"Then let's get moving!" said Casey. "The longer we stay here, the more likely those things are to find us."
"Nether Soldiers?" Sage supplied.
"Whatever. Please, can we go?"
"Let's move," said Ryo. {Kind of bossy, isn't she?} Ryo asked Jessie
{Yeah,} she answered.{My sympathy to the guy she has taken a liking to. Oh, and it's one of your male Armored buddies.}
{Who?!}
{I'll tell you after we get out of here.}
They continued on and the tunnel split into two separate passageways.
"Great," said Kento. "Which way?"
Everyone looked at Jessie. "Like I know!" she snapped.
"You're a Tracker," said Casey. "Track. Find a way out of here."
Jessie sighed. Man, I wish this wasn't the time to tell you guys.
Before Jessie could say anything, White Blaze gave a low rumble and trotted down one of the passages.
"White Blaze," Jessie called and walked over to the passage.
"What's he doing?" Cale asked.
"He's just sniffing the ground," said Jessie. She tensed and looked around. "Do you hear something?"
"No," said Ryo.
"I don't," said Rowen.
"I do," said Twyla. "Girls, do you?" Joana, Gwen, and Casey nodded.
"You're just nervous," said Dayus. "None of us hear anything."
"Not all of us," said Kayura. "I hear something. It sounds like metal hitting stone."
"How do you like that," said Casey, "a sound that sexist against men."
"Shh," Jessie held up her hand. "It stopped."
The sound of stone cracking made everyone freeze.
"I don't like the sound of that," said Cye.
"Who does?" Sekhmet asked.
Jessie looked around, not daring to move. The cracking noise was so close, but where was it coming from? She looked up and saw a large crack in the ceiling, which grew larger.
"Oh shit…" Jessie whispered.
Parts of the ceiling fell down towards her.
"LOOK OUT!" Ryo shouted and he tackled Jessie.
"RYO! JESSIE!" the others cried.
When the dust cleared, they stared at the pile of rocks blocking the path. The rocks melded together and became a wall. Kayura walked over to it and placed her hand on it.
"This place is controlled by magic," she said. "Ryo, Jessie, White Blaze, please be safe."
{We are.}
Kayura gasped and the other Warlords and Ronins shared her surprised look.
"Your kanji are glowing," Twyla said nervously.
"Ryo," said Cye, "I can hear him. We all can."
"How the heck are you doing that, buddy?" Kento asked.
{It's not me,} said Ryo.
"It's Jessie," Kayura said. "Somehow she's helping you to communicate with us, isn't she?"
{Yes, but don't ask how.} Ryo said. {She can't figure out how she's doing it.}
"We'll find out later," said Kayura. "We're going to have to keep moving. Be careful."
{You too,} said Ryo. {And please behave.}
Their kanji faded away.
"Let's go," said Kayura.
"But what about Jessie, Ryo, and White Blaze?" Joana asked.
"They'll be all right," Kayura assured her. "Whoever controls this place likes to play games."
"And we're the players," said Kento.
"More like the pawns." Gwen said.
They continued on and entered an area that was the same size as the basement at Mia's house, with two passages.
"Which way now?" Sage asked.
"I don't know," answered Kayura.
"If Jessie was here she could Track," said Twyla. I wonder why she seemed reluctant to Track before.
The Ronins and Warlords tensed.
"What is it?" Casey whispered.
"Stay back," said Cale.
Nether soldiers burst from the ground.
"ARMOR UP!" Kayura shouted.
They summoned their Armors, but the four Ronins fell to their knees and cried out in pain.
"Cye! What's wrong?" Joana asked terrified.
"The…Armor," Cye gasped. "It…it hurts…"
"It's…crushing…me…" Rowen groaned.
The Warlords looked at them in alarm.
It can't! Kayura thought. She held out the Staff and chanted. Four beams of light shot from the Staff and hit the Ronins. Their Armors disappeared and they fell to the ground unconscious.
"Get rid of the Nether Soldiers!" Kayura ordered the other Warlords.
The girls watched as the male trio attacked.
Why couldn't they summon their Armors? Kayura glanced at the Ronins.
"Dayus!" shouted Cale.
Kayura looked up to see her husband get thrown into a wall. She ran to him.
"Are you all right?" Kayura asked.
"Yeah," Dayus said, looking up. "Watch out!" He tackled Kayura as a spear hit the wall where they had once been. They rolled away and stopped. Dayus on bottom, Kayura on top.
"Oh sure!" Cale said. "We'll do all the fighting and he gets the feminine attention!"
"Now is not the time for that!" Sekhmet yelled, a hint of laughter in his voice.
"Shut up!" Kayura shouted. She stood up, ran to the center of the room, and held out the Staff. A bright light filled the room and everyone shut their eyes. When they opened their eyes, there wasn't a Nether Soldier in sight.
"Aauh," escaped Joana's mouth.
"Wow," said Twyla.
"Damn," muttered Gwen.
"Hot damn!" said Casey.
"Never ceases to amaze me," said Sekhmet as he watched Kayura rush to Dayus' side.
She made her helmet disappear and took Dayus' off. He had a cut on his forehead and a little blood ran down his face. Kayura put her hand over his wound and muttered a chant. She removed her hand and wiped his face with the edge of her jacket.
"Kayura, really," said Dayus. "I'm okay."
"Are you sure?" his wife asked. "That dirty trick they-"
"Kayura!" Dayus held her at arms' length by her shoulders. "I'm fine."
It wasn't that Dayus hated Kayura fussing over him, he loved it. But when she showered her affection on him, it always made Dayus horny and now was not the time or place for Dayus to show Kayura his… gratitude.
Kayura smiled and kissed him quickly. They stood up and walked over to the girls and the Ronins.
"Do you know what the phrase 'Get a room' means?" Casey asked.
"No, I don't," said Kayura. She knelt next to Sage. "They couldn't wear their Armors without feeling pain. That's not good."
"At least they still have their sub-armors on," said Cale.
The Warlords dragged the Ronins to the center of the room.
"Now what?" Joana asked.
"We wait," answered Kayura.
"Why couldn't they put their Armors on?" Gwen asked.
"I don't know." Kayura shook her head.
"This happened once before," said Dayus. "Six years ago to be exact. When Talpa had the castle floating above the city, we set a trap using the Nether Spirits. The Ronins couldn't summon their Armors until the Ancient Staff disbanded them."
"But they didn't feel any pain," Sekhmet reminded him. "It just blocked their powers."
"Wait a minute," said Twyla. She pointed to the Ronins. "If they can't summon their Armors neither can Ryo!"
"Oh no! Sis!" Joana ran for one of the passages.
"No, Joana!" Gwen cried, grabbing her friend's arm. "You can't! We don't know where they are!"
"There's no telling what'll happen with the Nether Soldiers running around this place," said Cale. "It's suicide."
Joana slouched a little and Gwen hugged her.
"So what do we do?" Casey asked.
"Pray," said Kayura, "that's all we can do now. With the Ronins unconscious and we don't know which path to take." She sat down and motioned for the other girls to sit with her, as the other Warlords remained standing. "Tell me about America," Kayura said.
"You're doing this to distract us." Gwen smiled.
"Why not?" asked Kayura. "For the time being."
The girls told Kayura about their homeland. When they started talking about Disney World, that caught the other Warlords' attention.
"I didn't mind that Jessie dragged me on Space Mountain," said Twyla. "But not Splash Mountain. I was wearing white. It's a good thing that Thunder Mountain Railroad is next to it. I dried off pretty quick."
"If I ever go," said Joana, "I'm staying off the fast rides."
"If you do go and Jessie is going at the same time like we did," said Twyla. "Make sure you have her sign a paper saying that she won't drag you on them."
"Before or after the insurance policy?"
They laughed. Suddenly, the Warlords tensed and the Ronins woke up.
"You feel that?" Rowen asked groggily.
"Yeah," said Kento. "What is that?"
Their kanji glowed for a moment, then faded.
"What's wrong?" Gwen asked, helping Kento sit up.
"It felt like something was pulled away," said Cye, his head now resting in Joana's lap.
"And something else put in its place," Sage finished. He was sitting and had his arm around Casey for support.
"Like what?" Casey asked.
"I'm not sure," said Kayura. "Nothing bad, but different." And familiar.
"We've got to get moving," said Rowen. "Ryo-" He tried to sit up, but fell backwards. Twyla caught him and rested his head in her lap.
"The four of you are in no condition to move," Kayura said, "and we don't know where Ryo, Jessie, and White Blaze are. There are only two paths for us to take. I don't want to split up. That's exactly what whoever it is wants us to do."
Before any of the Ronins could protest, they tensed and looked at one of the passages.
"What is it?" Twyla whispered.
"Something's coming." Cale said quietly.
White Blaze bounded into the room. Everyone sighed.
"If White Blaze is here," said Kento.
"Then Jessie and Ryo aren't far behind," Gwen finished.
Kayura held her hand in front of the tiger. "White Blaze," she said, "where are they?"
He grabbed her jacket and tugged her towards the passage from which he came. Kayura followed him and stood at the entrance. She saw red Armor.
"Ryo, are you all right?" Kayura asked. "Where's Jessie? How did you… Ancient One…"
"What's wrong?" Dayus walked over to her and looked into the passage. Shock appeared on his face. "My God…"
"What?" asked Sage. "Is it Jessie?"
"Is she okay?" Joana asked.
"I'm here, sis," Jessie's voice shakily drifted into the room.
"What's the matter?" Gwen asked.
Dayus and Kayura moved back from the passage to let Jessie in the room, the Wildfire helmet in her hand and the Armor on her body.
"Jessie?!" Twyla asked in shock.
"Holy shit," said Cale
"How in the name of Anubis…" Sekhmet's voice trailed off.
Jessie looked at them, feeling like a bug under a microscope. Fear was etched on her face and she was shaking.
"I don't know what happened," Jessie said as tears rolled down her cheeks.