Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ —¤: Boy meets dad :¤— ❯ Kenji vs. Kenshin part II ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I don't own Kenshin. :sniff:
 
 
 
- CHAPTER 8 -
 
Saitoh was just about convinced that taking a stroll in town was a bad idea when he saw a head full of red hair in the crowd. Not a lot of people had red hair in Kyoto, so he was fairly convinced that this was the guy from last night. He felt the boy's very familiar ki as well.
 
Silently motioning for his men to quietly encircle the guy, they went to their respective positions and cornered the kid. It was pretty easy considering the kid in question looked like he was busy contemplating on something, he wasn't paying much attention to his surroundings.
 
Proof of which was when the kid didn't even notice his exits were already blocked until he came face to face with the Wolf of Mibuu.
 
“And so, we meet again.”
 
“Um, hello?” Came the very hesitant answer. Kenji didn't want to get into another fight with the Shinsengumi, especially Saitoh in broad daylight! Given that they were in some deserted alley, but they just finished round 1 last night!
 
He groaned.
 
“Don't worry boy, we're not planning on killing you.”
 
“We're not?” someone from the back questioned and shut up immediately as Saitoh gave him his best glare.
 
“I have questions to ask,” Saitoh said.
 
Kenji gulped. Well, as long as he only has questions and he's not here to fight me, I guess it's a good thing. “Ask away,” he replied and tried hard to relax.
 
“Why didn't you kill us last night?”
 
Kenji blinked. He expected just as much. Lifting his shoulders in a helpless manner, he went into another bout of explaining his beliefs. “The way of my sword style is not to kill people, I only wish to protect.”
 
Saitoh rubbed the top of his head thoughtfully, feeling the huge bump that was still there. “And that sword you carry? It left bruises but not wounds.”
 
“It's a reverse blade sword, from my father.”
 
“So you're a bodyguard for the Ishin Shishi?”
 
Kenji couldn't help it, he really couldn't. “I think that's pretty obvious now, isn't it?” He dryly remarked.
 
Some of the men sniggered behind their leader and Saitoh's mouth lifted in a smile that wasn't filled with humor. “Funny. Just one more question before we let you go.”
 
Kenji regarded the wolf inquisitively. “O-kay?” he said, drawing the word out.
 
“I am Hajime Saitoh, leader of the third squad of the Shinsengumi. What's your name?”
 
Out of habit, Kenji bowed as he introduced himself, surprising most of the Shinsengumi members. “Kenji. Kenji Kamiya. Pleasure to meet you, Mister Saitoh.”
 
Saitoh gave the kid credit, calling him “Mister” and remembering his manners by bowing. In his entire service as a Shinsengumi warrior, he's never faced the likes of this Kamiya Kenji before. He was a walking enigma. Very polite even to the enemy whom he didn't wish to slay.
 
“You do know that the next time we meet, I won't be so forgiving now, do you?” Saitoh remarked.
 
Kenji smirked. What, you're gonna use Gatotsu Zero Style on me next time or something?
 
There was an eerie silence as the young red-head's eyes widened. “Did I say that out loud?”
 
“Yes, you did. How did you know about that!?!” The wolf hissed.
 
Kenji felt sick, he not only talked to himself now, but blurted out things as well. Wow, am I going insane or what? “Err, I don't know what you're talking about Mister Saitoh. Now if you'll excuse me, you did promise to let me go this time. I'll try not to cross paths with you next time for my sake, that I will.” He said ever-so-politely, hoping to calm them down.
 
Even though Saitoh didn't want to let him go, he did promise so he reluctantly relented. “Very well.”
 
A path was cleared for Kenji and he gratefully distanced himself from the Shinsengumi as fast as he could, making a mental note to himself to be more alert of his surroundings this time.
 
……
 
“He's an odd one, that kid is.”
 
Saitoh silently agreed with Okita. Only a handful of people knew about the succession technique of his sword-style. How an Ishin Shishi samurai found out about it boggled his mind. Was there a spy in our midst? His blood curled at the thought.
 
“He's a formidable opponent, that's for sure.” Saitoh said and glanced behind his shoulder.
 
……
 
The Battoussai who watched the exchange between the new Ishin Shishi recruit and the Shinsengumi sucked in his breath and flattened himself along the walls of where he was hiding. Did that narrow-eyed Shinsengumi warrior see me?
 
He knew there was something wrong with the kid from the very beginning, and it wasn't just the uncanny resemblance to Kenshin that made the hitokiri be very doubtful about him.
 
He had taken to trailing the other redhead from that first morning he spent at the inn, was actually impressed when he found out about the guy's achievement last night, but there was this small doubt in the back of his mind that refused to go away. He could feel it in his gut, Kamiya was withholding some sort of information from them.
 
Disengaging himself from his current position and heading back to headquarters, thoughts of Kenji's treachery swam in his mind. I mean, what else do you call being able to talk face to face with the Shinsengumi in broad daylight and come out unscathed mean! I should've listened to my instincts and killed him on the spot that night. Now, even Katsura-san is giving him praises. Kenshin bristled.
 
You will pay for this betrayal, Kamiya!
 
……
 
Kenji sneezed and then sneezed twice more, wiping his nose with the back of his hand. How does that old saying go? If someone's talking about you, you sneeze and if they're talking bad stuff about you, you sneeze again? He shook his head, his auburn hair flying in the wind. I haven't been here long enough to gain enemies, have I?
 
The Kohagi Inn was located in the outskirts of town and as Kenji walked the path back home, a lone figure stood in the way of his route.
 
Upon closer inspection, he relaxed. It was just Kenshin. “Konnichiha, Kenshin!” He greeted good-naturedly, his previous anger about last night's threat far from his mind. He wasn't going to carry a grudge just yet. His young father looked bothered by something.
 
“I shall slay you where you stand, Kamiya, you traitor!!!” Kenshin suddenly shouted as he drew his sword and began to attack with his god-like speed.
 
Thanking his quick reflexes, Kenji drew his sword, blocked the blow that was aimed at his chest and glared at the young hitokiri. “Have you officially lost your mind!?”
 
Kenshin laughed a sad laugh, spitting the words on Kenji's face over their opposing swords. “Katsura-san was kind enough to take you in, yet you fed him - us - with lies! I saw you with the Shinsengumi in Kyoto earlier, traitor!”
 
Kenji admitted to himself that what happened earlier was indeed bizarre. He didn't know how many Ishin Shishi and Shinsengumi warriors chatted amiably without any bloodshed in this day and age. He actually understood where his father was coming from and tried to pacify the young hitokiri.
 
“They wanted to talk to me, ask me why I didn't kill any of them last night!” He explained between dodging attacks.
 
The Battoussai laughed that fake laugh again, “You think I'll fall for your tricks twice? First you tell me that you visited shishou “several” years ago, but I do not recall shishou ever entertaining visitors in his cabin. Not one. He is a hermit. If you really did visit him “several” years ago, don't you think I would have met you? I left the mountain retreat only last year.”
 
Kenji secretly cursed at himself for that blunder. What he said was the truth, but what Kenshin said made sense as well. Short of telling his enraged father the whole truth and nothing but the truth, Kenji didn't know what else to do.
 
He ducked another blow and backed away several feet in self-preservation. The hitokiri Battoussai was out for blood, his blood!
 
This day has officially gone to the crapper!
 
“Kenshin let me explain!”
 
“That's “Battoussai” to you, Kamiya! Stop acting so familiar with me. I don't mix well with traitors!”
 
“Can you please stop calling me a traitor!?” Kenji bristled.
 
“You betrayed us, traitor!”
 
“I'm not a traitor okay!”
 
“Spoken like a true traitor. Don't worry, I shall make your death quick and painless. Hiten Mitsurugi Style, Ryu Sou Sen!” Kenshin shouted as he made multiple slashes at Kenji.
 
Despite the god-like speed that rivaled or even surpassed Kenshin's, Kenji sustained 2 cuts, due to the fact that he was extremely surprised at his father using a Hiten Mitsurugi move on him. Him! His son! But, he doesn't know that, you dolt!
 
Well, so what!
 
I'm going to make him taste the ground. That would humble him!
 
With his resolve strengthened and his temper ignited, Kenji let out a guttural shout that would have frozen the blood of ordinary men.
 
The Battoussai wasn't affected however. I knew it! He's a traitor! “Hiten Mitsurugi Style, Ryu Tsui Sen!” He shouted as he jumped up and prepared to attack Kenji from the air.
 
Supremely angry at the fact that his father was attacking him again, Kenji, with his eyes stinging from unshed tears and years of frustration towards his future rurouni father who abandoned him and his mother, gave it all he got. “Hiten Mitsurugi Style, Ryu Tsui Sho Sen!” Performing the combo of Ryu Tsui Sen and Ryu Shou Sen as the Battoussai was coming down from above - Ryu Tsui Sen first, then Ryu Shou Sen - Kenji caused double damage.
 
The young hitokiri was beyond astonished. He landed into a pathetic heap on the ground, his body feeling like he just fell from the waterfall back at his shishou's place. Twice. Did he just use a Hiten Mitsurugi move on me?! Fighting to stay awake despite the aches and pains of his body, he leaned hard on his sword, but fell into a crumpled heap on the ground.
 
“I hate you!!! I hate you Kenshin!!! You're a terrible father!!!” Kenji's shout startled the birds in the forest, as tears streamed down his face at the sight of his defeated father on the ground.
 
Those were the last words Kenshin heard as he lost consciousness.