Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Cabana Boy ❯ Chapter 10

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks to everyone! I love you all! Moving right along here is the next chapter. Also noting that the characters below are on merely on loan and belong to Nabuhiro Watsuki.
 
**********************
 
Later that night Kenshin sat outside Kaoru's bedroom. He had been unable to sleep and had snuck back into the house. He needed to know she was safe. Sano was inside with her now, stretched out on the chair. He was the only reason why Kenshin had not crept inside her room. He knew the tall brunette wouldn't let anything harm the woman. Kenshin was just another form of defense.
 
When she had heard the name of her caller, her face had drained of all color. She had nearly fainted, but he had held her upright. His touch seemed to help her regain her composure for she had offered him a shaky smile of gratitude before pleading rest. All had agreed. Sano had immediately agreed to stay with her, an offer she accepted. Kenshin couldn't help but feel a touch of jealousy. He had wanted to be the one to protect her, though he had hesitated. He didn't trust himself around the beguiling woman at this moment.
 
Their interlude in the pool left him feeling hollow. She knew nothing about him, nothing of his past. Here she was offering herself to him and she had no clue what he was capable of, had been capable of. He had decided not to fight his attraction anymore, but he owed it to the woman to make the choice. Kaoru had a right to know.
 
The door opened softly and Kenshin sprang up, his hand on his sword. Kaoru blinked to see him in the shadows and he relaxed only slightly when he recognized her. “Kenshin? What are you doing here?”
 
“I couldn't sleep.” He admitted.
 
“Neither could I.” She sighed and looked up at him through her dark lashes. “Why are you out here?”
 
“I was worried about you.”
 
“Really?” He nodded. “Why?”
 
“I don't want anything to harm you. I am here to watch over you, that I am.”
 
She bit her lips. “Do you mind if I join you?”
 
“Out here?” She nodded and he merely shrugged.
 
Kaoru pressed her back against the wall and slid to the floor. He carefully sat down next to her and stiffened when she leaned against him. She made no other move and so he relaxed, enjoying the feel of her warmth. “I wonder what he really wants.”
 
“Enishi?”
 
“Before he said he just wanted me back. That he was nothing without me.” She touched a hand to her cheek. “He should have thought about that before he hit me.” She said bitterly.
 
“Kaoru-dono?” She turned her blue eyes to him. They were unreadable in the darkness, the only light from the window at the far end of the hallway. He hesitated, unsure of what he wanted to say to her. Finally he lowered his head. “I'm sorry.”
 
“For what?” She sounded surprised. “You didn't do this to me. You had no impact on who the man is.” Something stirred uneasily in him at the comment. He wanted to deny it, but more and more he feared he just might have had something to do with the way her previous lover had turned out. That is if it was the same man. He prayed it wasn't. He wasn't sure if he was ready to confront those demons. Her hand touched his cheek and he looked at her. “Or are you apologizing for what happened between us?”
 
There was an edge of pain to her question and Kenshin shook his head slowly. “I could not regret what happened between us, that I could not. Unfortunately things are so much more complex than my simple desire for you.”
 
“Why?”
 
He sighed. He could not be with her until she knew. Until she knew of his past and everything he had done. He opened his mouth to tell her when she placed a finger to his lips. “Not tonight.” She whispered. She snuggled underneath his arm and pressed her body against his. “My head is still spinning. We can talk of it another time. Tonight let me just lay here within your embrace.”
 
Not wanting to argue and enjoying the feel of her against him, he acquiesced. She burrowed against him, her breathing beginning to deepen. He rested his cheek against the softness of her hair. She made it so easy to forget. Sitting in the hallway, the woman sleeping against him, he could almost envision he was a normal man.
 
********************************
 
Kaoru stared aimlessly out the window. Raindrops splashed against the pane. It had been three days since she had received the phone call from Enishi. There had been no further contact since then. Idly she played with the ring on her finger. It didn't quite make sense. Why would Enishi call her now after over a year of no contact? She narrowed her eyes thoughtfully.
 
“Enjoying the show?”
 
A slow smile curved her lips as she recognized Kenshin's voice. She shook her head, not turning to look at him. “There isn't much of one right now. Just rain.”
 
“Would you mind if I joined you?”
 
“Please.” She moved over on the couch and Kenshin sat down next to her. She curled her feet underneath her body and twisted so she could lean against him. He lifted his arm, allowing her to fit comfortably. It seemed right and Kaoru turned her cheek into his chest, breathing in the smell of ginger she had come to associate with him. She sighed contentedly. “I could stay like this all day.” She murmured.
 
He pressed a kiss to her head and she smiled to herself. “Where is everyone?”
 
“Sanosuke and Megumi-dono are upstairs bickering. Misao-dono is either refereeing or contributing to the argument; I'm not really sure.”
 
“What are they fighting about?”
 
“Sanosuke received an invitation to a party this weekend. Megumi-dono is not pleased, that she is not.”
 
“Misao is probably contributing then. Where's Aoshi?”
 
“Work.”
 
“Things must be picking up if he's having to give up his vacation time and Misao's been helping.”
 
He didn't say anything and Kaoru wondered if he realized what the couple did. They watched the rain in silence for a few minutes. They had not been alone since the other night. At least he wasn't avoiding her. She was grateful for that. Still he seemed to hold back just a bit. “Kaoru-dono?”
 
“Hmm?” She had let her eyes drift close.
 
“I have a confession to make.”
 
Kaoru sat up and looked at him. “What?”
 
He opened his mouth and then closed it. She saw the uncertainty in his violet eyes. “I wasn't just hired to do the lawn and such.” He finally stated.
 
She sat back trying to figure out what he might be telling her. “What else were you hired to do?”
 
He hesitated again. “I don't want to get others in trouble. But there are things about me that you need to know before………well, um.” He colored and smiled ruefully at her.
 
“Before what?” She asked teasingly.
 
He didn't answer and she grinned. She leaned towards him and caught his face between her hands. Tenderly she kissed him, just a light brush if her lips on his. Kaoru pulled back and stroked the scar on his cheek. “I think it might be a little late for that.”
 
Kenshin smiled at her. He reached out to brush a strand of hair from her face. His fingers trailed down and he cupped her face in his palm. “There are still things that are imperative that you know.”
 
He had grown serious and she sat back frowning slightly. “Like what?”
 
“Your father brought me in to protect you.”
 
She blinked. “Protect me? From what?”
 
“Your ex boyfriend.”
 
Her lids fluttered repeatedly as she tried to comprehend what he had just told her. She gave a short bark of laughter and shook her head. “That makes no sense.” She rose and moved to the window where the rain slapped the glass. She whirled around on him. “Why would I need protection from him? You've been here nearly three months. He called me three days ago for the first time in over a year.”
 
He cringed. “That's not completely true.”
 
“What?!” She stared at him, her azure eyes wide.
 
Kenshin licked his lips anxiously and stood. He approached her timidly. “Enishi has been calling you for the last five months.” She stared at him, at a loss of what to say. “He's made threats against you. That's why your father insisted you return home for the summer.”
 
Her chest began to heave as she gasped for breath. Kaoru had been left shaken by the phone call the other night and she hadn't directly spoken to the man. To hear it was only one of many calls left her fearful and apprehensive. Blindly she looked at Kenshin. “How do you know all of this?' She whispered, her voice cracking as she fought to hold her emotions in check.
 
“Your father told me the night when you first arrived home, that he did.”
 
“He knows?” She shook her head in denial and sucked in a deep breath. “How could he know?” She demanded hoarsely.
 
He swallowed and scratched the back of his head. “Sanosuke and Megumi knew.” He admitted reluctantly.
 
Her eyes grew wide. Her body went still and then she spun around. Her thoughts were jumbled in her head, but only one thing stuck out. She was going to kill them. Kenshin attempted to grab her arm but she shook it off and struck out. Distantly she heard him cry out as her fist connected with the side of his head. She hurried into the hall and hauled herself up the stairwell using the banister. She threw open the door and headed towards the kitchen where she could hear laughter.
 
Kaoru burst into the room, three sets of eyes turning to her. Her chest was heaving, her eyes blazing. Sanosuke immediately rose from his seat and held out his hands to defend himself. Her blue yes focused on him. “How could you tell him and not me?” She hissed.
 
“Now, now, Jou-chan. Why don't you tell us what has you all worked up.”
 
“I think you know. Enishi has been calling me for the last few months? How could you tell my father and leave me in the dark?” She demanded.
 
His brown eyes shifted to Megumi guiltily before looking at her again. “I thought it would be for the best.”
 
“Best for who? How many times has he called?” The man hesitated. “How many?”
 
“Wait Kaoru, before you jump down his throat, I should accept part of the blame.” Megumi rose and came to stand next to Sano. “I was the one who thought it best to not let you know.”
 
Kaoru turned her heated look on the woman. “When were you going to tell me?”
 
The older woman blushed. “I don't know.”
 
“Did you think that I wouldn't eventually find out? What would happen if I answered the phone one day and he was there? If he grabbed me one day while I went to the store? What then? It didn't occur that it might be helpful for me to know beforehand so I could be alert?” She yelled. She turned away from them and glared out at the grey sky. “You told my father?” She fumed aloud. Another thought came to her then. “What else have you told him?”
 
“He's aware of how violent the man can be.” Sanosuke admitted.
 
“He was never that brutal. You make it sound as though he threatened you upon every meeting.”
 
“He did, Kaoru!” The man burst. He crossed the room and grabbed her shoulders. He spun her around to face him. “Enishi is dangerous. He threatened me, he warned Megumi, and now he is coming for you.”
 
“He wasn't that bad.”
 
“The bastard hit you! There is no excuse for that.” He hollered. Her anger faded and Kaoru's fear began to rise to the surface. He cupped her face in hands. “You don't deserve the hell that he could put you through. I'm sorry we didn't tell you sooner. But Kitsune and I didn't want this burdening you. The year you were with him you were so despondent.” His voice was calmer.
 
She nodded, her bottom lip trembling. “I'm sorry.” She whispered.
 
Sano brushed her hair from her face. “You're forgiven.” He pressed a kiss to her forehead and embraced her. She clung to the man, her previous anxiety mounting. “None of us will allow anything to happen to you.”
 
“Everyone is worried. My father even brought in a bodyguard.”
 
He pulled back and looked at her. “You have a bodyguard?”
 
Kaoru glanced in the doorway and saw Kenshin standing there. “You're not a lawn guy?” Misao asked from her seat.
 
The redhead shrugged his shoulders. “Well I am. I have traveled across the country working odd jobs and occasionally taking on work for periods of time to work on people's yards.”
 
“But Sano just said you were a bodyguard.”
 
“Kamiya-san hired me to protect his daughter.”
 
“So you're a bodyguard.” Megumi stated.
 
The shoulders lifted again. “I suppose so. Kaoru-dono's father was aware of my skills and thought I was appropriate for the job.”
 
“So he told you of Enishi?” Sano asked, stepping away from Kaoru and leaning against the counter.
 
Kenshin took a deep breath. “Only that he had mistreated Kaoru-dono and had made several serious threats against her, that he did.” He turned his violet gaze on her. “I didn't think it right not to let you know of why I was really here.”
 
Kaoru nodded her head. “Thank you.”
 
Something passed between them despite the audience. She really wished no one was around then. She clapped her hands and turned to Misao and Megumi. “So I heard you three were up here arguing.”
 
“It's stupid.” Sano told her flatly and glared at Megumi.
 
“You're the stupid one.”
 
He whirled on her. “Explain it to me again, kitsune. How am I being stupid when you won't admit why you're really pissed.”
 
“I am not jealous.” She insisted.
 
Kaoru placed a hand to her temple. “What is the basis for the asinine argument of the afternoon?” She moved towards the counter and sat down on the stool.
 
Misao snorted. “A school chum invited Sanosuke to a party this Saturday night. Megumi's jealous.”
 
“I am not!”
 
“The invitation is a moot point in the first place. Everyone is invited. She was quite adamant on making sure Jou-chan and Misao came.”
 
“So I'm not a part of the invite?” Megumi demanded.
 
“Of course you are. This is silly. That's why the squabble should stop. I don't understand why you've decided that this should be the entertainment for the afternoon. I suggest we drop it and go to a movie instead.”
 
“That's one of the wisest things I've heard come out of your mouth, Sano.” Kenshin came in between the two and raised an eyebrow in Kaoru's direction. She giggled, already feeling easier about the pending threat of her former lover.
 
Misao jumped up from her seat. “Then what are we waiting for. Let's go before those two start bickering of what movie to see.”
 
*****************************
 
“Ready?”
 
Kenshin looked up as Sano sauntered into his small kitchen. He had been reading a book Kaoru had recommended. It was fascinating, telling a much different side to the traditional 'Wizard of Oz.' Reading about how the Wicked Witch of the West was misunderstood gave him a different perspective on his own life. Of course, there was no mistaking what he had been guilty of. Sanosuke looked at him and headed strait for the refrigerator. He pulled out a carton of orange juice and opened it. He paused before drinking strait form the carton and then searched for a glass. He came upon two coffee mugs and he pulled one down, filling it with the juice.
 
“Ready for what?” Kenshin asked slowly watching the man.
 
“The party. We're leaving in twenty minutes.
 
“I didn't realize I was invited.”
 
“Jou-chan didn't say anything to you about it?”
 
“I didn't think Kaoru-dono wanted to go.”
 
Sanosuke watched him over the rim of his cup. “She's going. I think it would be good for her. She's been cooped up in the house all week. She needs to get out and have some fun.”
 
“I understand and I agree. I didn't know the invitation extended to me.”
 
“Why wouldn't it?”
 
Kenshin sighed and sat back, marking his place in the book. “You keep forgetting I'm a bit older.”
 
“So?”
 
“You don't think these friends of yours will mind if you bring a thirty year old man to the party?”
 
“You hardly look thirty. Besides I don't care and neither does Jou-chan. Who gives a damn what everyone else thinks?” Sano put his mug down and refilled it. “Besides, you're her bodyguard. You should be there watching over her.”
 
Kenshin rubbed his eyes wearily. Kaoru had reminded him about the party and had not pushed the issue. She had actually expressed the desire to stay at home. He didn't think it was healthy for her to shut herself away from the world, but it would do her good to get out. The day before they had spent a quiet afternoon together. They had had lunch and then watched movies all day long. He had enjoyed being with her though nothing more than a few stolen kisses had been exchanged. People were constantly around and he wasn't ready to cross the line. Plus he wasn't sure how Kamiya would react once he returned home from his business trip. He would return Monday. How he might feel about the budding affair between him and his daughter might be more than the man had asked for.
 
“I guess I'll go.” He relented and eyes the brunette as he poured himself a third glass of juice. “Why are you drinking all my orange juice?”
 
“There isn't any at the house.”
 
“Why are you drinking it; we're about to go to a party. There isn't any vodka or rum in it. I didn't think you drank juice strait.” He stated feeling a twinge of annoyance.
 
Sano grinned at him ruefully. “If you drink lots of vitamin c before drinking, you don't get as drunk so quickly.”
 
“Really?”
 
He shrugged. “Don't know. But it works for me.”
 
Kenshin shook his head with a chuckle and rose. “What should I wear?” He asked, moving into his bedroom.
 
“Whatever you want. Depends on if you want to get lucky or not.”
 
Sanosuke came in behind him. His violet eyes looked him over. “And what are you going for?”
 
The jeans were faded and ratted. A yellow tee shirt was underneath a blue plaid shirt. “I'm always looking to score.”
 
“Really?” He asked dryly.
 
“It's the rugged look. Women dig it.”
 
Kenshin turned to look at the few articles of clothing he had in his dresser drawer. “I suppose. That would be why Megumi-dono hasn't acknowledged your advances.”
 
“Ouch!” Sano grabbed his chest and fell against the doorframe. “That hurts. I'd expect it from Jou-chan, but I thought we were friends.”
 
Kenshin grinned and shook his head. “I've been hanging around you all too much.”
 
Sano returned the smile and patted him on the back. “Just don't disappear on us. We're all quite fond of you too.” He left the room and headed back out front.
 
The smile faded from Kenshin's lips. He would be leaving soon. This was nothing more than a place to spends the summer. Once Kaoru left for her internship, he would be off somewhere. There was no room for him in her life, was there?
 
For the first time since he had begun his wanderings ten years ago, he contemplated staying in one place. He couldn't deny that his feelings for Kaoru were growing. The woman had opened him up in a way even his first wife hadn't been able to do. The question was though would she be able to handle the truth of his past? No one had pushed the issue of why he was qualified to protect Kaoru. They had dropped it. Ironic since he had told the woman the truth of his presence with the idea she would in turn ask about his past. But she respected his silence. That fact proved she was worth keeping and yet also proved he didn't deserve her.
 
Groaning he closed his eyes and leaned against the dresser. Always back to that. Just a week ago, he had thought he had quelled that thought. “Will she understand?” He whispered to himself.
 
He sighed and looked at himself in the mirror. He tentatively reached up and touched his cheek. He could still see the look on Tomoe's face as she breathed her last breath. With the last of her strength, she had reached up, a blade in her hand. Branding him for his deeds had been her final act before she died in his arms. Would Kaoru understand the choices he had once made?
 
“Oi, Kenshin? You ready?”
 
Kenshin blinked and stood up. “One minute.” He called and reached for a black tee shirt. He glanced down at his khakis. They were well worn, the cuffs long since frayed on the back. Not feeling like trying to impress anyone and knowing Kaoru didn't care for that, he left his pants on. He found his sandals and slipped them onto his feet. He came into the living room to see Sano flipping through the thirteen channels he received on the small television.
 
The brunette looked up. “It's about time.”
 
“It's just a party. You're the one dragging me to it.”
 
“If you really don't want to come then don't. Jou-chan will be upset though.”
 
He sighed. It was a shame that Sanosuke had figured out what was going on between him and Kaoru. He was milking it for all it was worth. They climbed the stairs towards the main house. The two women were sitting on the patio chatting. They rose at their approach.
 
His eyes were immediately drawn to Kaoru. She was wearing a pale blue camisole dotted with violet and green flowers. Her jeans rode low on her hips exposing the thin sliver of skin he had become fascinated with the first day he had met her. Her hair was long down her back, the front pulled from her face.
 
“You look good, Kaoru-dono.” He murmured to her.
 
She giggled nervously and brushed her hair behind her ear. “Thank you.” She glanced at Megumi at her side. “Are we ready?”
 
“Where are Aoshi and Misao?”
 
“Work I guess. Aoshi hasn't been around the last few days.” Megumi explained. She picked up her purse and linked arms with Kaoru. “Shall we, gentlemen?”
 
*********************************
 
Sanosuke nodded his head to the music. He glanced at Kaoru. The woman seemed to be having a good time. She was a bit tense, but that was to be expected considering the circumstances. The invitation had come from an unlikely source. He had run into Yumi at the gas station. She had been a neighbor of Kaoru and Megumi's at school. He had forgotten she lived in the area. She had looked him over appreciatively and then mentioned her party. He had not immediately agreed. Yumi's father was rumored to dabble in things not quite legal. But she had always been nice and he no real reason to turn her invitation down. It would do them all good to get out.
 
Over the past few days Kaoru hadn't left the house and refused to answer the phone. Sano had called her father and explained the situation. He had agreed he would try and come home early and then asked to speak with Kenshin. He had wondered at that, the connection between the redhead and Kamiya. He didn't find the idea Kamiya had brought someone in to look after Kaoru. It was more of a matter of why Kenshin in particular? It created more questions about the man. But he was one of the few people aware of Kamiya's own past. That in turn made Kenshin's history that much more of a mystery. But that wasn't his concern, but the welfare of Kaoru. He had nearly lost her once and he did no plan on losing her again.
 
He had reminded her of the party. She had been reluctant, but he had persisted. It would do her good to go out. It was a good thing he had convinced Kenshin to come as well. The two seemed to have gotten over the sexual tension though he hadn't seen anything more than looks. Kaoru had admitted to a few stolen kisses, but nothing more. He knew her well enough to know when they would pass that line. All the more reason for the party. They both needed a break from the stress.
 
Besides the chances of Enishi showing up were slim. Even if he did, there wasn't much he could do in a group of people. He had always been charming when there was an audience. He just hadn't left Kaoru alone. Either Kenshin or him had been at her side. So far nothing suspicious had occurred.
 
Megumi came up and looked at him. He shrugged to the unspoken question in her dark eyes. She nodded and glanced towards Kenshin. The redhead was standing off to himself, feeling a bit out of place amongst the young crowd. Sano had never thought of him as being older until that moment. Something about the way he carried himself, slightly aloof and carefree. But in the last few days, with Kaoru's safety seriously threatened, he had reverted into something else. His eyes glittered and he almost seemed to disappear. Twice he had snuck up on Sanosuke only to offer a sheepish grin in apology. If Sano hadn't known any better, he'd have thought Kenshin might be some revolutionary left over from the wars.
 
The thought made him frown. Was it possible? Kamiya had once moved amongst the underworld. Would he have found someone from those circles to protect his daughter?
 
“Smile.” Megumi told him. “You're supposed to be having a good time.”
 
He grinned at her and sipped the drink in his hands. There was a tap on his arm and he looked at the blonde there. She offered him a shy smile. He recognized her from a lab he had had. He frowned slightly at the memory. Hadn't he once offered to partner with her and she had laughed in his face? He couldn't fully recall. Then the blonde smiled and he decided he didn't care.
 
“You're Sanosuke, right?”
 
“And you're, Naru.”
 
Her blue eyes brightened. “You remember!”
 
He shrugged a bit uneasily and glanced at the tall woman to his right. Megumi glared at him and then flounced off into the mass of people. He started to go after her and then recalled Kaoru. He couldn't leave her. A feeling settled into the pit of his stomach and he glanced at the punch he consumed. He put it down on the table and watched as the fox threw herself into a conversation with a group of men. Jealousy twisted in his gut. He started to move towards her when a hand touched his arm. He looked at Naru and she was frowning slightly. When she noticed he was watching her, she smiled again. “Would you like to dance?”
 
Sano glanced at Megumi and then looked at Kaoru. She nodded her head that she was fine and Sano reluctantly shrugged. “Okay.” He said slowly.
 
The woman dragged him into the center of the throng, the dancing bodies bumping into him constantly. He was jostled around and he lost sight of Kaoru. After a moment he spotted Kenshin. He had moved closer to where the woman had been and Sanosuke let himself go with the music. After several minutes the song ended and he began to make his way back towards his friend abandoning the blonde.
 
“Wait!” He glanced at her. “Let's dance another.”
 
“I don't think so.” The feeling in his stomach was growing and his brown eyes searched for his childhood friend.
 
She pouted prettily, but Sano wasn't interested. He remembered her now. She had definitely blown him off once before. He could see no reason for her interest now. He looked once more for Kaoru, spotting her at last by the window. He also then realized why the blonde had dragged him to the far side of the room. He froze as he saw a familiar head moving through the mass of people. It had been over a year since he had seen it, but he recalled with clarity the face.
 
Enishi was here. And he was headed strait for Kaoru.
 
***************************
 
Hopefully I'll get the next chapter out soon. (For those of you are interested, the book Kenshin is reading is `Wicked' by Gregory Maguire. It's one of my favorite books ever and I thought it somewhat apropos for Kenshin to be reading it.) Don't forget to let me know what you think!