Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Fairen Destiny ❯ Chapter 16

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't live in Japan. Don't write/illustrate manga. Therefore it is impossible for me to have legal rights to Rurouni Kenshin in any way.
 
GACK! I'm SO sorry!!!!!!!!! This update is way late. I didn't mean to! honest! -decides to keep distance and ready to run for cover just incase- and I was doing so good about updating the last few chapters to. Dangit.
 
To make up for this chapter and it's late update (Did I mention I'm uber sorry for that?) I'm writing the next chapter right now! (Well first I have to post this…)
 
God I hope this chapter doesn't disappoint too bad. I tried making it interesting but I don't know (it's more of an info chapter than anything) but the next chapter will most definitely have obvious plot development and action in it (least I hope what would be considered action :S) so there ya go! (And please don't hurt me)
 
Someone asked about Kaoru and her parents' age difference. I don't know if anyone else was confused, but in case you were. Kaoru's parents (birth parents) lived two THOUSAND years ago they would be about late twenties early thirties I think and she was only ten when they die in the prologue. (Her current parents, the Sagaras', would be about in their forties and she's about 18 or 19). As too the 2,000 year thing I really don't want to give anything away but let's just say Kaoru's had a very long nap between then and now. I hope that helps.
 
READ ON!
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Kenshin sat in the study behind a pile of books that almost completely hid him from view from anyone who might walk in here. Lady Tomoe, who was currently telling him anything and everything she deemed important enough to know pertaining to fairen life in general, had found him after he left the great hall and brought him here for a `brief' lesson.
 
He had been here for a minimum of two and half hours now listening to her lecture to him it wasn't that he wasn't interested what she was telling him, it was just a low buzz was beginning to fill his head.
 
It was probably good thing she could only see the top of his red hair and not his dazed, bored expression. It wasn't that he didn't want to learn about fairens, hell I was almost gonna drag the bloody servants to start teaching me something, he just didn't want to learn every minute detail that had happened in the last two thousand years. How does she remember it all?
 
She hadn't referenced a book once, only gave them to him to help keep up and to later read himself. He was still trying to figure out how he's read all of those books. There's at least twenty and they're all as big as a bloody carriage! Alright, so he might have exaggerated on their size.
 
I'd rather her teach me how to do some magic. The urge to try magic again had grown over the past two days and he was grateful Megumi had given him that potion to ease it. He had asked Lady Tomoe about learning and she said he'll learn soon. It would have killed her to tell him when soon was.
 
She still had yet to tell him anything he could use right now, like why he was here in the first place. Or why had his ancestors, family, whoever, had left being a fairen in the first place and gone to live as humans. Anything else that pertained to him would have been good to know as well. He had only been waiting to find out since he first came to Telrunya, more or less a week and half ago.
 
“….and that led to the Dwarves' war. They later found out it had indeed been a troll that killed their king as we had told them. They paid for all repercussions from the war of course, and made plenty of offering of apology for accusing the High Lords at the time for his murder. A peace treaty was made and we get along quite well with the dwarves now. Fifty years later we joined the war between two Elvin countries fighting against each other….”
 
“Lady Tomoe. With all due respect, might I learn this some other time? My head's going to explode if I learn anymore about wars and other races.” He pleaded to her. Lady Tomoe stared consideringly at him, holding her staff out in front of her and resting lightly on it, before nodding to him. He relaxed visibly, slouching in his chair so he completely disappeared behind the pile of books. “Before I dismiss you though is there not something else you would like to learn for the day?”
 
Did she really have to ask? “Actually there's two things. One, can you tell me why I'm here and what a prophet descendant is? And two, can you show me something I can do with magic? I've been going crazy trying not to use it but I'm ready to snap if I don't.”
 
Lady Tomoe wore an amused grin. “I suppose you are ready to learn magic now. Very well. We will go outside so as not too damage anything. Come.” A window sandwiched between two bookcases opened and Lady Tome glided out in to the open air. Again with leading him outside without telling him exactly where they were going. Why didn't anyone just tell you where you're going? Kenshin followed her out anyway and they flew out to the gardens.
 
“Alright. I won't be needing this,” She let go of her staff and it floated over to rest against a tree. “Now. From what I understand you have tried summoning clothing and hovering in the air. So we shall practice levitation since you seem so keen on it. It is one the most basic parts of magic and used most often. I want you to start out levitating a flower.”
 
A flower? “Now pay attention, Kenshin.” Lady Tomoe extended her hand to a rose bush. His gaze flickered back and forth between Tomoe and the bush. He wasn't sure which he was supposed to pay attention to. Something flowed out of Tomoe, he didn't know what, and a rose bud leaned forward to Tomoe before breaking from its stem and floating towards her. It came to rest gently in her hand and she turned to show him and after a moment it lifted from her hand and again floated in the air this time coming to him. He caught in the air and stared at the bud.
 
“I want you to do the same. Place the bud in my hand and then back to the bush. You felt me levitate it correct? Imitate what you felt and do it.” He continued to stare at the bud but he reached his hand out and tried to levitate the rose. Imitate what he felt? Easier said then done. Tomoe watched him with serene eyes, waiting patiently.
 
“You should feel the magic inside. Reach into it and make it move the flower. You can do it.”
 
“I'm trying.” He imagined the rose lifting form his hand and floating to Tomoe but the bud didn't move. Ok then. Try feeling for it. He could feel in him what he had felt from Tomoe, undoubtedly that was his magic. Suddenly he was aware of it coursing in him. It was cool as it encircled him. He hadn't felt it so strongly before, the urge to use the magic in him increased ten fold what it had been the past two days.
 
Kenshin focused the magic towards the rose, and could almost see it rush to the rose bud and surround it. He thought his heart stopped as the rose lifted from his hand and began slowly moving towards Tomoe. He had done it!
 
Excitement rushed through him like when he had first flown. His magic kept swirling out of him and guided the rose to rest in Tomoe's hand. But his magic was like an extension of him now, as easy as if he had walked over and gave it to her, as simple as breathing. How could he have not done it before?
 
He couldn't help the grin that split his face. He lifted the rose again and placed it over to rest on the bush. His magic retreated back to him, encircling and swirling in and around him.
 
He felt Tomoe's own magic circle the bud and reattach it to the bush. She met his eyes and Kenshin knew they shone with happiness and excitement. “Very good. And no mishaps this time. You have permission to keep practicing levitation but nothing else unless Megumi or I am there to guide you.”
 
“That was amazing. I haven't felt that before. That's magic huh?” He still felt the aftereffects of it and wanted to try again. “I'm glad you like it so much. You'll have to practice speed though. That's expected of a beginner. If you feel up to it try levitating my staff to you. It's farther away though and heavier”
 
He didn't care. He reached towards Tomoe's staff with magic and again felt it flow from him and to the staff. He felt Tomoe's scrutinizing gaze on him but ignored it and kept his focus on the staff. The blue gem on top glowed slightly as his magic began to envelope it. It resisted a moment before allowing his magic to completely surround and lift it into the air towards Tomoe.
 
It definitely was heavier than a rose bud. The strain he felt increased slightly but he still ignored it. It glided towards Tomoe and he released the staff as she clasped it in her hand. The gem stopped glowing when his magic left it and came back to him. Tomoe stared at the staff attentively for a moment. “It recognized you.”
 
Kenshin was somewhat breathless. “What? Is that why it glowed? It felt like it didn't want to move.”
 
“Because you're not the owner. Had any other beginner tried it would have most likely thrown them back. My staff recognizes who can and can not use it. I believed it knew who you were.”
 
“Better explanation please?”
 
“This staff is passed down to every prophet or prophetess. You're ancestor was a prophet and it recognizes whose blood flows in you. But you are not him. That is why it resisted but still allowed you to move it.” Oh. Of course.
 
She remained silent another minute and Kenshin was beginning to feel a little uncomfortable when Tomoe suddenly rose into the air, turning her attention back to him. “You seem to be doing quit well. You're a quick learner just as Aoshi said. Now I want you to levitate yourself. This is harder but I think you can do it. And it will better your flying.”
 
“I'll give it a try.” He let his magic weave itself around him. Once he thought he had enough magic surrounding him he tried lifting himself. He didn't move. He tried again….still nothing. Why wasn't he doing it? He was doing so well, why did his magic decide to stop working now? “I'm I doing something wrong? I thought—“
 
Kenshin had just enough time to feel Tomoe's magic reach him before yanking him by the stomach into the air. He lurched forward as she lifted him up.
 
He could feel that suppressing sensation from someone else levitating him again. He was a good distance above the ground now and tried spreading his wings so he could catch himself if he fell. He tried but Tomoe kept his wings tight against his back. They wouldn't move. He felt a spark of panic but cast it away, reassuring himself Tomoe wouldn't let him fall.
 
Of coarse then he fell.
 
So much for that theory. He yelped and tried flying but his wings were still being suppressed. What the hell is she doing?! Don't panic! Levitate! Levitate you idiot! He heaved forward as he came to a sudden halt. He was panting and his heart was ready to leap out of his throat. Why the bloody hell had she scared him like that? She actually let him go and wouldn't let him fly. What was she thinking?!
 
He was about to voice, more like shout, his opinion to her when he saw her looking very calmly at him with a small grin. He only just realized why she was smiling. He had never hit the ground and Tomoe didn't catch him after she let him fall.
 
He had levitated himself! He was floating and, now that he wasn't panicking and actually paying attention to what he was doing, could feel his magic supporting him in the air.
 
So Tomoe was helping him and not trying to kill him, of course. There was only one way to voice his gratitude to her tight now. “Thank you!”
 
“You're most welcome. You're quit instinctive with your magic, Kenshin. You need only a little push to start. I think that's enough for today. Remember what I said. You may practice levitation but nothing else. You are dismissed for the day.”
 
She turned to leave but he stopped her. “Wait, Lady Tomoe! You still haven't told me abut being the prophet descendant. Do mind telling me?” Please…please…please…
 
“So you haven't been told yet? I thought surely Megumi would have already told you or one of the others. I am most sorry for not explaining before. Very well I'll tell you.” Of course everyone hadn't told him because they thought Tomoe would tell him or already had. Figures.
 
“You are the propjet descendant and as far I know the only one….lest there is some other surviving member of you family?” He shook his head. “I thought so. It is your duty to find the princess of Surion from two thousand years past and to bring her to the Surion castle and restore to her what she has lost. After that she will prepare for a battle against Shishio with you helping her in way you can.” She might as well have been commenting on the weather with how casual she said it.
 
Okay now he was even more confused then when no one had told him anything. “….What?” He had the distinct impression she was purposely confusing him.
 
This was not an easy question to answer. “To try and explain further so that you would understand would take much more time than I think you are willing to listen to me.”
 
Okay then. “Um, then how about telling me why I was living with humans if I'm a fairen?” Tomoe shifted the staff between her hands, and considered how to answer. He insisted on asking questions with no short answer.
 
“It used to be that every prophet or prophetess was succeeded by his or her child or closest blood relative. Obviously it is not so anymore or you would be in my place. Two thousand years ago Hiko Seijuro had sealed Shishio Makato away and ripped his magic from him. He had shielded the Surion castle and protected the princess inside in a sort of suspended-animation. Afterwards the obligation of guarding the barrier and princess fell to his son then grandson and so on and so on.
 
“This continued until two centuries ago. Followers of Shishio had risen up and tried overthrowing the Telrunyian High Lord and Lady. By that time Surion no longer existed and Telrunya had taken its place. The Prophetess Sakura of the time foiled the attempt but in so doing became a target to destroy. She and her family reluctantly fled from Telrunya and magic and anything their pursuers could link them to and use to find them. Eventually coming to a human country, they hid and there remained there, unable to return.
 
“For a while she tried carrying out her duties away from home but was unable. With no other choice, she taught another, Amakusa, to be the prophet in her place. For the first time a prophet had not come from your family. The new prophet had no children or relatives to take his place so he traveled and sought out one he thought worthy to succeed him. That became the new tradition of finding a new prophet. It is how my predecessor found me and how I found Megumi.”
 
Okay that explained it…in a round about sort of way. A bit of a longer explanation then he expected though. Tomoe noticed his perplexed expression and shifted the staff between her hands again. “If I keep attempting to explain, I shall only confuse you more. I can almost see the questions in your head.”
 
She laughed softly. He wondered just how he looked to make her laugh. Yes, he was very curios and it undoubtedly showed on his face but how amusing could that be? “Well…I've been wanting to know and no one's really telling me anything.”
 
“Only natural. We mostly take knowing this for granted and I personally tend to sometimes forget just how little you know. Trying to tell you will only lead to more questions than answers. Very long answers. You shall learn, don't worry. Here, I think you will find this helpful.” She raised her hand in front of her and Kenshin ogled as a book conjured out of thin air and landed in her hand. She looked calm as ever as she gave it to him.
 
“One of the books from the study. It is the most detailed concerning the princess and you and hopefully anything you can think of to ask. If you are still curious about anything, feel free to ask me or Megumi or anyone else. I suggest going through it as soon as it is most convenient. Now if there is nothing else I shall take my leave.” He could only nod, staring at the embroidered burgundy cover. Historical Legends and Legendary Historics Volume Three: Fairens. He began flipping through the pages to look for anything eye-catching, and Tomoe flew back to where the study they had been using was.
 
Kenshin was still levitating, as willing as they were around here to show how to do something no one really bothered showing you how to stop. He figured how to move though even if it was by accident, he just needed to lean himself forward or in whatever direction he wanted.
 
One thing that would take a while getting the hang of was doing anything at the same time of levitating, which at the moment was reading. He already had three near crash collisions with passing servants.
 
`...it is not known for certain where Shishio originated. It has been suggested he was from before the Fairens' Division and he wished to filter the `lesser' fairens from the Antrones and destroy them, feeling they disgraced fairen kind…'
 
Fairen Division? I wonder if that's in here… need to find what `lesser' fairens are too… where is it? Find the page...find the page…what…OW! Kenshin slammed backward onto his butt. Damn it that hurt. Gah nose…ow…why does the ground have to be so bloody hard? And what did I run…oh. He had glided into his bedroom door. I'm a genius. Where's my book? He patted his backside as he stood. Rubbing his nose to try to ease the pain away, he bent over and picked up his book. He had lost his place of course. At least no one was there to see his moment of stupidity. Especially Kaoru. She'd be on the floor laughing knowing her.
 
He opened the door and walked inside, trying to find his place again in the enormous book. Why didn't I mark the stupid page? He snapped the book shut and would have set it on his desk except there was already a small mountain of books piled there.
 
Lady Tomoe. Apparently she had been so kind as to give him the books from the study she told him to read. And some extra ones by the look of it. Wonderful. He had no intention of reading all of those. They were much too big to read each one. He'd skim through them…eventually. Sighing, he flung Historical Legends and Legendary Historics onto his bed.
 
Let's see the responsible thing to do would be to read those books. Or Legendary History at least. Though right now I'd prefer to learn magic. But Lady Tomoe said not without her or Megumi there. That means more levitation practice. Well being the completely responsible person I am means…
 
He heard doors slam in the room next door. Sano's room. He slowly grinned….Means I ask Sano to show me more magic.
 
He walked out onto his balcony and glided over to Sano's, and knocked on his doors. The doors swung open for him. Sano was sitting on his bed, chest bare and wings sprawled, nursing a large lump on his head. His left wing looked ruffled near the wrist.
 
The first time he had seen Sano's room. The furnishings were arranged much the same as his. But unlike his, much less Kaoru's, there weren't any flora growing in pots all over his room or up his walls. There was a fern by his bed though. It was like the rest of the castle, with glistening walls that looked like they literally moved if you stared long enough. They shimmered and danced like ruby colored water. Even the embroidery on the brown and gold accented furniture looked to move around in patterns.
 
“Mm. Hey Kenshin. Watch'ya want?” Green light emanated from Sano's hand over his lump as he healed the swelling. There were other bruises on his chest and arms. They looked were shaped like hooves. “Are you okay Sano?” What injured him and what did he have to do to avoid it?
 
“Ah, I'm fine. An injured unicorn's getting ready to give birth. I spooked her I guess and she gave me a good few good kicks, as you can tell. Tried running me through with her horn too. Misao calmed her down though….and gave me this bump on the head. Said I shouldn't go `round flying near a sick and pregnant unicorn. Guess she's right.”
 
The bump disappeared and Sano began healing the bruises. “Hey do me a favor, Kenshin. Check my left wing for me. It feels like it's bleeding. I think the unicorn ripped it.”
 
“Sure” He walked to the side of the bed and Sano winced while he tried adjusting his wing so Kenshin could see better. Didn't work too well. Kenshin could see red trickling down the speckled feathers and making its way to the sheets. Blood stains. Always fun, especially getting them out of fabric.
 
He followed the blood trickle up Sano's wing to where the feathers were ruffled just under the wing's wrist. Much more blood along here. A few feathers bent in the opposite direction too and some looked lie they had fallen out. “I think it's safe to say you definitely got kicked Sano. It's bleeding and the feathers are a little worse for where.”
 
Sano swiveled around and Kenshin caught Sano's wing just time to keep himself from being knocked out. And so Sano didn't further damage his wing. “Damn. Yeah you're right. I can see the blood now. Can you tell if anything's broken? Don't worry about my feathers you can't do any worse damage.” Kenshin still took care when moving the feathers out of the way. It didn't stop a few more falling out though. “Any bone sticking out?”
 
“Uh…” It was hard to tell. His actions had unintentionally caused more blood to spill from the wound and spread along the feathers. Just how hard had that unicorn kicked him? He gently wiped the blood away the best he could, further bloodying his hands, and indeed under the sticky red and feathers he could see bone poking through irritated skin. He grimaced. “Yeah. Looks pretty nasty. Are you sure you just got kicked? It looks a lot worse than that.”
 
Sano muttered. “Probably shouldn't have flown up to my room.” He scowled at his wing. “Flying must of opened it up. At any rate, I don't trust my own healing for it. Wing healing's too tricky. I'll have to go get a healer. Ya haven't seen Megumi around have you?” Kenshin shook his head. “No? Well then I'll find her anyway. I can't go back to the stables just yet. Hey, ya mind goin' down to see if Misao needs help, Kenshin?”
 
“And end up getting kicked and bleeding like you. No thank you.” So much for learning more magic. “Ah come on Kenshin. You won't get kicked. Unicorns are actually pretty docile most of the time. Misao'll need help though and I don't know if a servant or someone is down there. I've gotta get my wing looked at. Besides you've never seen a unicorn right? Come on Kenshin.”
 
Sure, use his curiosity against him. “Fine. But you have to teach me magic later in return.”
 
Sano grinned. “Learning magic? Okay deal. Now get goin'!” Kenshin stood and glided out of the room only having to turn around ten seconds later and catch Sano before he left his room to seek medical treatment. He forgot to ask where the stables were.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Misao darted around the stable, trying to get hot towels, water, and extra hay all at the same time for the whinnying unicorn. She still had to close that wound. Again. The mare had reopened the gash along her leg when she kicked Sano. Not that he didn't deserve it. The lout shouldn't have been jumping around her and spooking her like that.
 
He had it coming. Though that kick to his wing looked like it might have done some damage. I hope that lout doesn't try flying before having it checked out…Ugh. Maybe I shouldn't have thumped him on the head.
 
The mare neighed, snapping Misao out of her musings and back to reality. “Ok! Ok! I'm coming!” She rushed over to the pregnant unicorn, kneeling next to her leg to re-heal the gash. It wasn't easy using magic on a unicorn unless they allowed it. And healing wasn't exactly one of her specialties.
 
Misao sighed and wiped the sweat running down her forehead. Why'd I have to be the one to find you? I'm no good with animals. Kaoru or Megumi should be doing this not me. The mare whinnied again, this time not from her leg but form a different pain. Gah! Don't give birth now! Where'd that stupid stable boy go dammit?! I can't do this alone!
 
As if on cue a red head poked through the stable doors. “Misao? You in here? Sano sent me and—“
 
“Kenshin! Just in time! Get your butt over and help me!” The mare was going into labor. Wah. Ok, ok don't panic. She should be fine on her own. Just gonna wait to make sure the colt isn't hurt or anything.
 
The unicorn let out a neigh of pain, eyes rolling to watch as Kenshin trotted over. “It's ok. He's gonna help. He won't hurt you girl, just calm down.” Misao cooed.
 
“Hand me a towel.” Kenshin scanned around a moment looking for one before seeing the pile of towels and handing her one. Misao conjured a warm water ball and soaked the towel in it. She wiped the unicorn's head, trying to get her to calm down to concentrate on giving birth. Never mind the fact that it also helped calm Misao's own nerves.
 
“Um Misao? I'm not sure but if she stays there, won't the baby hit the wall?” What…? Oh hell he's right. The mare's rear was about a foot from the wall. The colt would be birthed right against the wall if the mare wasn't moved. Misao tried levitating her but the unicorn wouldn't budge. Of all the times to shut yourself from magic. Bloody unicorn. “Kenshin can you move her?”
 
“I've been trying but she won't move.”
 
“That's not—wait can you use magic now? Uh I mean not important. Help me lift her up.” Misao grabbed the unicorn's back end, gently lifting her from the ground and trying to ignore just how heavy the mare was.
 
“Of course I get the side that can spear me.”
 
“Well just avoid her head and pick her up already! She's heavy.” Kenshin glared at her wondering just how he was to avoid her head while he reached around the back of her neck and under her legs as he lifted the rest of the mare up.
 
She neighed in protest and thrashed her head and legs once, trying to dislodge the two fairens from her. Misao began cooing once again, making shushing and calming noises. They both managed to move the unicorn so she could give birth without risk of injury to the still unborn colt. It wasn't easy, that mare weighed a lot. No way could Misao have physically lifted the mare on her own.
 
Misao and Kenshin both plopped down on either side of the unicorn. The mare had started contractions and all they could do now was sit and wait. Kenshin had gone silent just staring at the unicorn. This is his first time seeing a unicorn isn't it? He suddenly snorted, holding back a laugh. “What's so funny?”
 
He snorted again. “Nothing. I just never really thought this is how my first time seeing a unicorn would be like. I didn't even think they were real a couple weeks ago. And here I am watching one give birth. Just thought it amusing.”
 
I guess. “They don't normally come this close to the city or castle. She was injured and wandered in here though. It looked like something tried attacking her but I don't know what. Unicorns are near impossible to catch or surprise.”
 
“What lives in the forest that could attack a unicorn? She couldn't have come from the one with the dracins could she?”
 
“No. the unicorns live in Elen Forest and know not to go cross the Me'a River. Only a few flying species cross it actually. I don't really know what hurt her.” Misao began talking softly to herself more than to Kenshin. “Maybe a werewolf got loose or something. Kaoru might know. She spends nearly all her time there.”
 
Kenshin and Misao fell into silence, wincing and resisting the urge to jump up every time the unicorn neighed during a contraction. Finally after two hours of labor and contractions the actual birth had started. This didn't help either of Misao and Kenshin's nerves though. It was very hard to just sit and let the mare be. Some of the whinnies sounded a little too much like cries of pain.
 
It took another half hour but the colt had finally been born. Misao leaped to the newborn's side to clean the birth fluids from it. Kenshin awkwardly hung by the mare, who was too tired to resist either of their attention, trying his best to keep her calm as Misao looked after the colt. It was male, silver tinged in color instead of white with a mere bump for a horn. Misao picked up the colt in her arms and placed him by his mother where she could see him and take over caring for her young.
 
Kenshin was in absolute awe once again and Misao had no problem seeing why. Rays of light from a window near the ceiling cascaded and framed the new mother and child as if just for that sole purpose.
 
A small smile broke out on her face and Misao stood, clapping Kenshin on the back to grab his attention. “Come on. We need to leave them alone now.” She kept her voice down so as not to disturb the mare who was already half asleep. The newborn was already attempting to stand and suckle at the same time.
 
Kenshin stood, still watching the two unicorns as Misao led him outside. She shut the stable door, breaking his trance. “I believe I owe you for helping me in there.”
 
Kenshin blinked. “It's okay. Sano made a deal with me to come down here and he's gonna show me some magic to learn later.”
 
Misao's wings twitched showing her disbelief. “That idiot probably won't even remember. I'll teach you some magic. And if he does remember to show you then that's just a bonus for you now isn't it? Now I think I'm correct in my assumption that Lady Tomoe told you not to learn anything except from her right?”
 
They started walking back to the castle. Actually Kenshin was walking and Misao was flying a few inches of the ground, translucent wings blurring behind her.
 
“And Megumi.”
 
“And Megumi. Ok so that means nothing too complicated. What did Lady Tomoe teach you?”
 
“Not much I think. Just levitation.”
 
Just levitation? How far did you get?” Just levitation. He said it like it was a walk in the park. Ko for it was but she'd been using magic her whole life. She could still remember the hell it was trying to learn though.
 
“I learned to levitate myself.”
 
She stared at him a moment. “And other objects?”
 
“Yeah. It didn't take too long actually. Why?” Did he really have no clue how much of an accomplishment that was?
 
“No. that's-that's really good. It takes a week normally. You're fast. Alright then. Well how about summoning? That's the next step up I think. It's like levitating but you transfer an object from one place to another without covering the distance. Like instant transportation or something.”
 
She stared around them, looking for something to use as an example. Alright she could probably summon a tree but first she'd have uproot it which she really didn't want to do and was pretty sure doing that was still banned after Sano had tried it when he was fourteen. And she didn't think Kenshin would be able to do the same even if he was a fast learner. What else could she use then?
 
Well she was going to show him summoning so….”we'll use my knives!”
 
Knives? That had disaster written all over it. “You don't have your knives though.”
 
“I know. there're in my room. I'm showing you how to summon remember?” she was just going to bring them there when Kenshin interrupted her. “Misao I really don't think that'd be very safe. Why not something else?”
 
She thought for a moment thinking what else she could use. I guess the knives wouldn't be such a good idea. If he can't stop them, he might get stabbed so something with a shield on it. Or a sheath. A sword!
 
“Alright then I know what else to use!” Kenshin sighed thinking he would safe now.
 
She needed to make sure he could sense her magic. She could do that it just wasn't some thing she was used to. It was something only students and teachers did. Teachers so students could learn and the students because they didn't know how else to do it until later on. Oh I forgot about that. I hope Tomoe won't sense him learning it. Or me showing him. Please let there be too much magic here to tell.
 
She told him she'd show him though so show him she would. She felt her magic wrap around a sword in the weaponry room. A second later, a sword materialized in front of her and she grasped it. Kenshin, being the expert about fairens that he was and all the experience he had with magic, did what he always did when someone did something he wasn't use to. He gaped.
 
You'd think he'd be use to it by now. “Did you sense me summoning my sword?”
 
He nodded, trying to figure out what made her think a sword would be any safer than knives to practice summoning with. Maybe he shouldn't have agreed to this.
 
Ok good. Now how did my teacher show us summoning? Small objects over short distances. My sword should still work and I could probably increase the distance. He is older than a bunch of seven year olds.
 
“Right I won't make you place this back in the weaponry. I don't think you even know here it is. Um ok watch again and then try summoning it to you.” The sword disappeared and almost instantly rematerialized ten yards from the two of them. Don't make it too far.
 
Kenshin watched, making sure to not miss a single detail. Misao could see her magic even though he couldn't but because of that knew he could sense it. “Your turn. Bring it back.”
 
“You sent it way from us. Does it work the same?”
 
“Yes. Otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Now come on try. “
 
“OK, OK.” He had made sure to pay attention so hopefully he could manage this. He raised his hand out in front of him and let his magic reach out to wrap around the sword. He was a lot slower than Misao.
 
Now how did he summon it? It felt similar to the levitating but different and faster. Kind of like she had thrown it forwards instead of pushing it so he had to reverse that. Kenshin fisted his outstretched hand and yanked it back to his body. At the same time the sword came hurtling towards him at the last second stopping a foot away from his face.
 
“Close but you didn't actually summon it. It's not levitating so don't think like it is. Not bad for a first try though. Imagine it just reappearing in front of you this time” Misao put the sword back ten yards from them and told him to try again.
 
Kenshin did as she said, picturing the sword appearing in front of him. Again he outstretched his hand and pulled it back. This time the sword disappeared half way back to him and reappeared, though unlike last time it didn't stop a foot from his face.
 
Argh! The hilt smacked him in the face.
 
The offending sword dropped to the ground as he clutched at his nose. Needless to say that hurt. A lot. His nose was now bleeding and he felt a large bump on the bridge of his nose that hadn't been there before.
 
Misao rushed over and tried to pry his hands off his face to see the damage. He wouldn't relent though. Misao growled under her breath and, placing her hands on her hips, sent a jolt through his hands making him jump back and stare.
 
Misao used the opportunity grab his face and inspect his nose. The bleeding was still going strong, his nose was swollen, and it looked like it might be broken. He held perfectly still, less than happy at her choice of method to look at his nose.
 
The blood was running down his mouth and chin and was dripping onto his shirt. She wouldn't let him try to stop the bleeding or wipe his face. He didn't think it would be a good idea to try and spit the blood leaking into his mouth on her face either.
 
Green light emitted from Misao's hand as she placed it over his nose and healed it. She heard a loud crack as his nose slid back into place and the large bump on the bridge disappeared. For Kenshin healing his nose was almost as painful as when the sword had smacked him. The initial pain disappeared though leaving only a mild sting that slowly went away.
 
Misao stepped back and Kenshin immediately turned to spit the blood from his mouth and wipe his face and shirt. To say the least, he was less than happy. He glared out of the corner of his eye at Misao picking up the evil nose-breaking, face-smacking sword from the ground.
 
She dusted the sword off and swung it over her shoulder. “You up to another try or can I put this backing the weaponry?”
 
“Put it back. I'd rather try this with something that can't injure me again.” The sword vanished from her hands. “Sorry about that but I did heal it.”
 
“I know. It just hurt. Think I'll practice summoning with a pillow or something. As long as it's softer than a sword.” A pillow. Now why didn't she think of that? Oh well.
 
“Just make sure Lady Tomoe and Megumi don't find out I showed you summoning. If they find you practicing just say it was an accident when you were levitating something. Summoning's close enough to levitation for that to happen.”
 
“Sure thing.” He rubbed the bridge of his nose.
 
“I'm going to Amandil to meet Aoshi. You don't want to come do you?” She didn't exactly sound like she really wanted him to go. More like discreetly pleading with him not to go. How kind. “No. I'm going back to the castle. Have fun. See ya.”
 
“Alright then. Thank you be Kenshin!” With that Misao took off, leaving Kenshin standing there alone. He shook his head and flew back to his room. At least he wouldn't have to worry about anymore sword hilts jabbing him in the face.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
-peers around corner- How was it? Ok? Bad? No one fell asleep did they? Ok good. I'm really sorry if you found it boring but next chapter will be better I promise! And out very soon! (I distinctly remember saying I wouldn't make any promises for this. Well that worked well didn't it?)
 
I actually had to stop writing because I wanted to make it a long chapter to make up for the lateness and really wanted to get it ready for the ball-thing but I was just taking so long and I'm determined to post this before I go to bed so….@.@
 
To if anyone's confused I'm gonna try to clear it up now. What Tomoe told Kenshin was why the he was living with humans even though he's a fairen. Two centuries ago Sakura (the prophetess I mentioned and named that because of the slave girl that protected him when he was a kid) had to take her current family and run from Shishio followers. (Who have been mentioned in a previous chapter I think like ten or something.)
 
She ended up in the human world because that was about as far a way from magic as you could get. The Shishio followers then made it so she couldn't come back and be the prophetess. Well her family was her and all prophets/esses had been from the same family (Hiko's family) and she had get another to take her place so that's how the Siejiro family stopped being the prophets and unrelated family members took their place. Thus Tomoe.
 
Ok I tried summarizing that. Doesn't matter what I I just can't get that to a short answer/explanation. (I tried explaining _WHY_ he's the Battousai and what he has to do but I kept getting really long monologues which I don't think anyone wants to read)
 
And I wanted him to learn magic. Levitation and summoning seemed like they'd the basis type thing to learn to yeah. That's what he learned. And he'll learn more but as to whether or not I actually go into detail about it is another story. It's evil trying to explain that.
 
The unicorn thing(in case anyone's wondering and still reading) was actually just an excuse to get Sano and Misao to agree to teach him something. Though that unicorn was really close to kickin' the bucket. In the end I just couldn't bring myself to kill a unicorn though.
 
I tried writing that part on Friday when I was very out of it. My dog Fluffy (who ironically isn't fluffy at all. She's a German/Australian shepherd mix) was diagnosed with a cancer that spreads and I don't know its name and it had spread from her belly-ish area to her lungs apparently cause she was panting a lot and had nose bleeds. She also had arthritis in all her legs so this had been going on for a bout a little over a month. (She went down hill really fast so to speak. Originally we thought she just had urinary infection.) Basically to sum it up, we had to put her down. My family and I were with her though but I ended up crying all morning then tries writing to occupy my mind. Didn't work.
 
Wow long explanation for a short little scene. Again. sorry. Ok then. I think that's all I had to say and then some so I am working on the next chapter and it WILL be out soon. Hopefully before Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince or else you're gonna have to wait. (only a day or so though cause I do read pretty fast.) Though you'll all probably be reading it too so no worries. Unless you don't like Harry Potter then in that case you're really missing out!
 
And I'm shutting up now. I was supposed off this thing a half hour ago and if my dad see me still on it I'm dead. Right. Post then off computer.
 
Till chapter 17 by for now! And if it's not too much trouble leave a review before ya leave! n-n