Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Hell's Conquest ❯ The Demon and The Lion ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10

Hell's Conquest

The Demon and the Lion

"So he defeated Usui fairly easily did he? That man is truly remarkable. Go on Tetsumaoliko. He's begun to annoy me. Fight and kill him for me…wait. No. I want to watch this match in person. He might be quite a challenge for you." Enma said, getting up from his throne, stretching his arms.

Tetsumaoliko nodded.

"Do you really think he can fight with me? Certainly you must be mistaken!" the demon laughed.

Enma shook his head.

"You shouldn't underestimate what an evil, determined human with a katana can do." Enma assured his second-in-command.

The two vanished, instantly teleporting themselves to a place just a half-mile away from where Shishio and Yumi were resting. Enma had decided it would be fitting for Shishio to have a little time to prepare himself against Tetsumaoliko…. unfortunately…they happened to meet a few others on the way.

"Ha ha! I saw you Kimiko!" Hoake shouted at the little girl trying to run from him.

"Yeah but u've got 2 catch me 1st!" Kimiko taunted, running full speed behind a tree.

Suddenly she stopped.

"And where do you think you're running off to, little girl?" Tetsumaoliko asked suddenly, appearing before Kimiko.

She froze.

"You're…the demon that took my friends' souls!!! You can't hurt me because Shishio's going to kill you!" Kimiko yelled at Tetsumaoliko forcefully.

The demon laughed, his blue hair flying freely in the breeze.

"Kill me? Oh you make me laugh! Shishio lied to you little one! He can't fight me! He's dying himself! He can hardly swing his sword without his temperature rising!" he stated.

"You-you-you're lying to me! Mister Shishio-…"

"Your precious leader lied to you. You know I'm right because you saw him coughing. Did he look just sick to you? Of course he didn't! The man is dying. His whore is just going along with it as well. She lied to you as well." Tetsumaoliko lied, smiling cruelly.

Kimiko looked down at the ground sadly, wishing it wasn't true. Yumi had been so nice to her…

"Don't listen to him Kimiko!" Hoake shouted suddenly, running between her and the demon.

"Maybe…he's right. I don't know if we can trust Shishio…or Miss Yumi." Kimiko said, once more feeling depressed.

"So what do u think? If you follow me, I'll restore the souls of your little friends."

Tetsumaoliko offered. Kimiko was thinking it over when Hoake spoke up.

"I'll never trust you! You took my brothers' souls…"

"And I'm the only one other than Lord Enma that can restore them. Shishio doesn't have the power to do that. Unless he kills me. Which I doubt." Tetsumaoliko sneered, revealing his white fangs.

Kimiko looked a little nervous at first but then nodded.

"I…suppose that makes sense." she agreed, shaking his long-clawed hand.

Hoake, a few minutes later, did the same.

"Lord Shishio…do u have any idea where the children went?" Yumi asked worriedly as Shishio rested his eyes.

"Oh don't worry about them. They'll be back. If I remember how Souji-…how children are when they're young…" Shishio quickly mended his error.

Yumi shook her head.

"You were going to mention Soujiro. Why do you keep avoiding the subject?" Yumi asked.

"…Because…because he…should not be respected any longer. The boy betrayed me. He will die alongside the Battousai."

"You say you hate him…and yet you still call him boy. He was like a son to you I know that. Why would he just leave?" Yumi asked, sitting up against him.

"How the hell should I know what goes on in that bastard's mind?" Shishio asked coldly.

"Do you know what I think? I think that if Soujiro ever comes here, he'll want to join back up with you. He cared about you, Lord Shishio." Yumi assured her master kindly, smiling.

"I raised him. I took him under my wing and trained him in combat. I…loved…he was like a…son to me. Never once did I do anything to harm him. Most of the Juppon Gatana thought that much. But I wouldn't dare beat him. If he wants to live as a wanderer that tries not to kill…he's going to die." Shishio said, unsure whether to be angry or sad.

Yumi had never heard the man admitting to such a thing before and was glad he had. Suddenly, the sounds of light clapping could be heard coming from a little ways in front of them.

"What a nice little thing to know about you Shishio. I'm glad I know you do have some feelings other than desire for that woman you're with." Shishio's eyes flared in anger as he turned to see Tetsumaoliko, Kimiko, Hoake, and someone he didn't know.

But he did know that this new being had a very powerful swordsman spirit and a strange disposition. Yumi looked frightened and she clung to Shishio's arm.

"Well I must say I'm surprised that you came with a friend, Tuhh…something or other." Shishio mocked…then he saw that the children were with him.

That's what had caused Yumi to be so distressed. Yumi looked at Kimiko with pleading eyes and the young girl turned away.

"Well it's good that I can finally meet you Makoto Shishio. For I am Enma. Supreme ruler of hell. Welcome." Enma said smiling.

"Ahh so you're Enma. You don't seem to deserve your power. You wield it like a toy you know." Shishio stated.

Enma just laughed.

"I like you Shishio. You seem to notice more things than Tetsumaoliko ever has. But in your accusations, you have one mistake. You see me as wrong because to a mortal like yourself, I am. But when you live on and on forever…life gets dull. Sending children to hell for no reason and every other seemingly cruel act I do is just for my own enjoyment. Nothing more." Enma smiled, looking Yumi over with striking silver-blue eyes.

She shrank away behind Shishio. Tetsumaoliko watched her and looked ready to strike. His demon instincts were causing his eyes to yearn for the sight of blood.

"So enough talk. Now I'd like to see a fight. A good one. Tetsumaoliko, would you like to begin?" Enma asked, nodding at his champion fighter.

Tetsumaoliko nodded and took a step toward Shishio. Yumi's eyes widened in fear. Shishio was in no condition to fight but the man was too headstrong to avoid a challenge. And his goal since he died was to take over hell. No demon or anyone would stop him from this goal. He'd been defeated one time too many. Now Tetsumaoliko would taste the Lion's fury. Shishio stepped forward, not hesitating to draw his weapon. Kimiko and Hoake looked just as worried. They hadn't truly wanted Shishio and Yumi to die. They just wanted Hoake's brothers to live. Now they were debating on whether or not they'd done the right thing. Shishio drew his katana and approached Tetsumaoliko.

"So I hope you're ready to die Tetsumaoliko."

And he lit his sword. Tetsumaoliko just grinned. His nails once again glowed with power and he leapt into his first attack.

"I fight with the style of my ancestors, the ancient demons of the Water Dragon! Destroy with the strength of the Dragon!!!" Tetsumaoliko yelled, slashing downward at Shishio with his right claw.

Shishio smirked and simply turned to the side. While Tetsumaoliko's back was turned, Shishio struck downward with his sword, slicing a line down Tetsumaoliko's back, poisoned blood seeping up through his blue robes.

"I fight with my own style. Kill or be killed." Shishio remarked as Tetsumaoliko painfully jumped aside to avoid another hit.

Tetsumaoliko turned around and attempted another slash at Shishio. Then another and another. He slowly started picking up speed as he attempted to slice Shishio's throat apart. Shishio decided he needed to reach a speed greater than shukuchi to defeat this monster and did so with little problems. Yumi, however, was worried sick. This fight reminded her so much of Shishio's battle with Kenshin. Shishio had started off winning, but became too headstrong and lost his common sense.

"Lord Shishio, be careful!!!" Yumi shouted out, her eyes barely able to track the fighters' movement.

Shishio suddenly slowed in his attacks at hearing her voice. He'd forgotten she'd been there watching. What if he were to burn again…and she would be right there to watch? If he began to burn again…she would probably run to his side and hug him…to burn right with him. Shishio couldn't bare to see that. Shishio remembered a few nights ago when he had promised to make it up to her for her sacrifice. At this rate, he would probably die before doing so. But he couldn't give up now. Not yet. Or…were some things becoming…more important…

"HAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!" Tetsumaoliko struck out with his forefinger and slashed at Shishio's forehead.

"Clank!"

His claw thankfully hit his Jagan e. Then the unexpected. The sturdy iron frame of the Jagan e simply snapped. The jolt of Tetsumaoliko's strike sent a terrible hit into Shishio's forehead that caused him to clutch at it in pain. Tetsumaoliko laughed at finally being able to hit Shishio and injuring him so much in one hit. This cut his forehead and it began to bleed badly, sending blood into his eyes. Shishio tried to fight as best he could and wipe blood from his eyes at the same time, but it was hard. No one had ever been able to even slice bandages from Shishio, let alone his Jagan e. Yumi was looking down at the ground, trying not to look at Shishio. He couldn't help but think that he shouldn't be fighting this match. He should be beside her, just enjoying each other's company as they had done right before his difficult battle against Usui.

"DIE MAKOTO SHISHIO!!!!" Tetsumaoliko shouted, slashing downward, a brilliant light flashing from his claw.

Thinking about Yumi had distracted him. Shishio didn't have time to dodge this final attack and he felt a terrible pain from his left shoulder down to his right hip. He found it was difficult to keep his balance and he fell to the ground, a large pool of blood flooding the grass he was lying on. Things were getting blurry and he felt his temperature had risen severely. This was it. He was dying. Burning once more. As Shishio looked up at the blue sky, he felt a rush of happiness. He no longer felt the pain of burning flesh. Soon, he could be reincarnated and perhaps live a better life. Then something caught his eye. Up in the sky, a single butterfly floated by. This brought back a memory from early August. He and Yumi had gone outside to eat together beneath the sky when they'd first learned of Kenshin's involvement in everything. That day had been so wonderful…

******************************************************

…Yumi leaned her head on Shishio's shoulder, her arm entwined in his. Their fingers were laced together except Shishio's right hand was on her back. He gently kissed her cheek.

"I love you."

He murmured kindly, bringing his hand out from her back and placing it inside the sleeve of his blue kimono. He pulled out a small silk box and handed it to her.

"I thought you might like this…although it doesn't matter if you don't. You could say it's a thank you for being able to put up with me for all these years." Shishio said, smiling warmly.

Yumi opened the box and within she found a beautiful jade green string of pearls to adorn her hair. It had probably been highly expensive due to the fact that only rich wives of well-to-do families were ever able to wear jade.

"This…this is…thank you. Thank you so much." Yumi said, truly happy.

"Now no man can ever look down on you for what you were. And they will know…that you are truly mine." Shishio vowed, taking her hand and staring into her eyes.

Yumi blushed. Had he really just said what he'd just said?

"Yumi…if it were possible…I would marry you. Just so you know that." Shishio vowed, his tone full of seriousness and longing…

****************************************************

…Shishio, his vision fading, turned to see Yumi running towards him.

"No!!! Go back!!!" he thought, unable to speak due to his weakness.

She seemed determined to be beside him in his final moments. To burn with him again. The whole instant seemed to pass in slow motion as she ran to him. She was crying. But…so was he. For the first time in as long as he can remember, hot tears streamed down his face as Yumi threw her arms around him. Hoake and Kimiko watched as the two of them lay together, Shishio's blood staining Yumi's clothes and body. Hoake looked away, unable to watch while Kimiko stared at them, feeling sorry for them. They'd been cursed to a sad life before and during the days they lived together.

"Yumi…I…"

"Shh…lie still now…my darling. Everything will be alright now. You'll see." Yumi promised gently, wiping a tear from his eye.

Tetsumaoliko was laughing. There had never been a moment where Shishio had ever been as angry as he was now.

"I hate happy endings you know. So I think it would be fitting to end such a tragedy in a way that truly fits it. I'll allow Shishio to be reincarnated…but Yumi's soul is mine! Just like how I stole those children's' souls. I'm sorry little girl and boy but the three boys…let's just say I don't want to restore their souls." Tetsumaoliko stated regally, aiming his glowing nail at Yumi.

Shishio could only watch helplessly as Tetsumaoliko shot the blast at her.

The End of Chapter 10

This was my longest chapter yet and I'm still going!!! Wasn't it sad? And what's gonna happen? Find out in Chapter 11