Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ In These Final Hours ❯ The First Step ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't owne Kenshin… ::is prodded by lawyers:: What?! I just said, I don't owne him! ::more prodding:: Sigh… alright, alright… I don't OWN Kenshin… ::pouts:: Happy now? ::lawyers wander away, satisfied::

In These Final Hours: The First Step

A lace and satin dress sailed across the room, landing in a whispering heap at the foot of the bed. After a minute, another followed. And another. Then a whole mess of moldy and faded dresses were hurled from the wardrobe, followed by a frustrated looking young woman.

Kaoru muttered darkly under her breath as she picked through the pile with the toe of her shoe. She growled, stalking over to the battered looking suitcase lying on her bed. She raked the contents with a critical eye before slumping against the side of the bed with a groan. How did one pack for a trip to the palace? An extended trip, at that.

She glanced at the pile of rejects lying on the floor and a rueful smile tugged at her lips. In her fervent rejections of all things noble-lady-like she'd skirted fancy dresses at every turn. She hadn't had a full wardrobe in almost four years, and that was a long time for a girl coming out of puberty. New curves and inches just didn't fit into the older models anymore.

That left her with a few pairs of training drudges and a handful of house dresses. Not palace material, to say the least.

"Having some trouble?" Sano asked.

Kaoru turned in surprise, finding her older brother leaning against the doorframe to her room. Behind him, Soujiro stood with a rather nervous looking smile on his face. She flashed the shorter boy a smile before glowering at her brother. Sano winked back and cast an amused glance around the room.

"What happened in here? Have a fight with your wardrobe?" and then confidentially to Soujiro, "You should have seen last summer when mom tried to ambush her with satin and tailors."

Kaoru rolled her eyes, "None of them fit anymore," she explained testily, "All I have are the two new ones mother bought for the winter festival and that hideous orange thing Misao got me for my birthday."

The two men winced at the mention of the latter dress. There had been a very tense silence at Kaoru's party when that particular gift had been opened.

"I'm sure the palace will insist on outfitting you themselves, anyway, Kaoru," Soujiro reassured her as she approached them with her too-light bag.

"Yeah, if you want to be a convincing escort you have wear the right material," Sano agreed, taking the bag from Kaoru's grasp and heading back down the hall toward the stairs. Kaoru bristled.

"The dresses I have are just fine," she protested.

"What's the right material for a court dress, missy?" Sano asked over his shoulder.

"Silk," she responded automatically.

"Did mother buy you silk?"

"… No."

"Why?"

"… Because the last silk dress I had was ruined."

Soujiro brightened, "Wasn't that the time we dared you to climb Mr. Machida's north tower?"

Kaoru scowled and nodded reluctantly. It had been hard coming up with a reasonable excuse for the hip-to-toe rips in the expensive fabric. Not that their mother had believed them. She knew her children too well. That particular escapade had resulted not only in etiquette classes, but a private coach as well.

"Well, in the guard those skills will come in handy," Sano dismissed Kaoru's embarrassment with a shrug of shoulder. Kaoru's expression softened at the uncharacteristic reassurance. Soujiro nudged her in the ribs, winking playfully when she looked at him. She couldn't help but grin back, her anger dissipating. One good thing about this prophecy was that she'd get to spend more time with her favorite brother and his best friend.

"How are we traveling, Sano?" she asked, turning her mind to practical matters.

"I thought we'd run," he angled a smirk up at her as he descended the stairs. Kaoru frowned disapprovingly, but Soujiro beat her to the refusal.

"Sanosuke," he groaned, "We ran all the way home. Couldn't we just take a carriage or horses? My feet are still killing me,"

"Sano!" Kaoru was outraged, "Have you been endangering Sou's technique? He's built for speed, not stupidity."

"Hey, hey!" Sanosuke defended, holding the door to the kitchen open for her to pass, "I'm just keeping up my endurance. It's not my fault he decided to follow,"

"You said you'd raid my mattress for gambling money if you beat me," Soujiro protested cheerfully.

Kaoru spun around at that.

"You're still gambling, you stupid rooster?!" she raged, reaching blindly at the counter for something to lob at his head. Belatedly, she realized she still had her bokken strapped to her back. Soujiro watched in amusement as the two danced around the kitchen.

"Enough!"

Kaoru and Sano froze at the familiar voice. Soujiro turned to the door and smiled brightly.

"Hello, sir. It's nice to see you!"

The man standing in the doorway nodded to Soujiro before turning a stern gaze on his two children.

"I'm sure you two aren't fighting in the kitchen again," his voice rumbled from a broad chest covered in velvets and leather.

"Of course not, old man. We wouldn't do something like that, would we, missy?" Sanosuke hooked an arm around his sister's shoulders and tugged her into an affectionate headlock. Kaoru growled and pried his arm away, shooting him a venomous glare before approaching her father.

"Did mother tell you?" she asked cautiously. He already knew, she suspected. It was rare that he came down from his office before dinner. With all the paperwork and petitioners he dealt with every day it was a wonder he found time to eat at all.

"Yes, she did," he placed a hand on her shoulder and squeezed it warmly, a bittersweet smile crossing his features.

"Father?" she inquired softly.

"I never thought I'd see this day come," he admitted, "I always thought you'd stay my little tomboy. Safe at home and away from the disasters at court."

Kaoru fought back a smile. Their father was famous in court more for the fact that almost no one knew what he looked like rather than the excellent management of his lands. She didn't get her aversion for political games from her mother, after all.

"I'll be fine, father," she assured him, "I won't even really be in court. I'll just be doing what I've always done,"

"Whacking things," Sano nodded sagely.

"Ah, and here's the beautiful lady of the house," Soujiro jumped in before Kaoru could respond.

"Soujiro," Mrs. Kamiya acknowledged from the opposite doorway. Then, to her children, "I've arranged for a carriage. It's waiting outside."

"So no running," their father cast a firm eye at his son.

Sano tried to appear nonchalant about the command, but ended up looking sulky. Kaoru shook her head slightly at her brother before giving her father a hug goodbye.

"Be careful, sweetheart," he said quietly, ruffling her hair with a gentle hand. Kaoru bore the treatment with decorum and assured him that she would look out for herself.

"If something happens to her, I'm holding you completely responsible," their mother warned, pointing a stern finger at Sano. He blinked in surprise before scowling in protest.

"Hey, that's not fair! She's a big girl, let her take responsibility for herself."

"Mother, I'll be fine," Kaoru put in soothingly, giving the older woman a hug.

"I know," she sighed, shaking the arms off of her and blinking rapidly, "And I know it was my decision to let you go, but I still can't help but worry. What if you get hurt while protecting the prince?"

"I've been training for years, mother. I can hold my own against any attackers," Kaoru said hastily at the panicked look forming on her mother's features.

"I know, I know," she repeated over and over again, retreating to her husband's side and clutching his arm tightly. He winced at the iron grip, but quickly moved to comfort her.

"You better get on the road before it gets too late," he advised quietly.

Sano nodded, hooking his head in Soujiro's direction to signal they should leave. The younger boy bowed politely to the lord and lady and scampered out after his friend. Kaoru had to pause at the door, though, a sudden tightness clenching her chest. She looked over her shoulder at her parents.

They stood side by side, watching her with fearful and, at the same time, prideful eyes. She felt her own moisten as she gazed at them for what would be the last time for awhile. She wouldn't be returning home anytime soon, she felt. This was it. She was finally leaving the home she'd known all her life.

"Good-" she broke off unsteadily before forcing a smile, "Goodbye… I'll be back soon."

The promise hung in the air between them as she turned and walked out the door.

<<---------------->>

Kaoru stared blindly at the fields crawling by as the carriage trundled its way to the palace. She'd already been cooped up in the stuffy thing for two hours, and it would be at least another two more before they reached their destination. Soujiro had cheerfully concluded that they would have just enough time to put her through her "audition" before dinner.

She glowered at a grazing cow at the thought. She didn't like the idea of having to audition for her part. Though, to be fair, they probably did have a right to know if she could actually play a decent bodyguard. It was more the complete, utter unknown staring her in the face that was putting her on edge. The palace was a gaping maw of foreign faces and customs that was inching closer with every turn of the carriage wheel.

"Sou…" she called quietly, sitting up from her slouch against the window. Sano was sleeping, arms folded across his chest and a foot angled out over the edge of the opposite window, and she didn't want to wake him.

"Mmm?" Soujiro stirred from his cloud watching and turned a gentle smile on her.

"What's… Well…" she squirmed as she tried to voice her worries into a question that wouldn't sound completely desperate.

"This will be a strange experience for you, won't it?" Soujiro cut in understandingly. Kaoru bobbed her head vehemently in agreement.

"I have no idea what's going to happen… what I'm supposed to do," she admitted.

The boy grinned, "Well I can help a little bit with that. The first thing that will happen when we get there will be your arms trial."

Kaoru nodded, "You mean, testing my sword technique and hand-to-hand fighting skills?"

Sou nodded, "Yes, among other things. And then, since you'll be joining as the consort," his smile faltered slightly, "you'll also be tested in etiquette and basic court manners…"

Kaoru grinned at uncertainty in his voice and waved a reassuring hand, "Sou, just because I don't use them, doesn't mean I don't have manners. I've been through the training enough times, after all."

He relaxed visibly, looking for the first time like he thought the plan had a chance of success.

"Why didn't you use them?" he asked after a minute. It was something that had always bothered him.

Kaoru shrugged, "I did use them… just not when my mother wanted me to. Or… I guess it would be better to say that I didn't care which situations called for what behavior," she sighed, leaning her head back against the window frame, "Most of the time she just wanted me to look pretty for visiting nobles. And the nobles always wanted me to meet their most eligible son," she smiled ruefully, "or sons."

Soujiro nodded his understanding, "You don't like men that much, do you Kaoru?"

She sat up ramrod straight at that, "SOUJIRO!"

Sano jolted awake, legs and long arms flailing within the close confines of the carriage. Kaoru and Soujiro ducked, guarding their faces with arms and hands.

"Wha? What's goin' on?" Sano mumbled, blinking rapidly to get the sleep out of his eyes.

Kaoru huffed as she settled back into her seat, "Nothing. Soujiro was being an idiot."

"It's nothing to be ashamed of, Kaoru," Sou said apologetically. He winced as a shoe bounced off his forehead.

"I like boys!" Kaoru insisted vehemently, "It's nobles I can't stand! And not even nobles! Just their sons! They're all a bunch of useless, spineless weasels. They've been leeching off of the peace their fathers' worked so hard for without lifting a finger except to signal a servant for more wine!"

Sanosuke groaned, "Aw, Sou… did'ja have to get her started on this again?" he folded his arms behind his head, "She's never happy unless she's got something to complain about. Nobles are just easy targets because she makes sure she doesn't have to deal with them," he cast a critical eye over the training gear she was still wearing.

"Shut up, Sano," Kaoru snapped, "I don't 'pick' on them. And don't act like you like them, either."

"Ah…" Soujiro switched his gaze between the glowering pair nervously, not knowing if he should interrupt or not. He rarely saw them get so heated up about an issue.

"I don't," Sano agreed smoothly, "But I also don't hide from my duties as a noble. You seem to forget that you're of 'higher blood' yourself, missy."

"I'm not hiding!" Kaoru ground out, fists clenched angrily in her lap, "Father doesn't attend court and he gets along just fine. Why can't I live the same way?"

"He also doesn't insult every blue-blood he sees," Sano snapped back, irritated, "He understands what's expected of him. He does what he has to do to run his lands, even if it means going to court sometimes. He puts his responsibilities before what he may like more," he leaned forward, "and that's what makes him a good lord, Kaoru, not because he can swing a sword or gets his hands dirty."

Kaoru stared at him silently, her face tight with startled rage. Sanosuke met the challenge in her eyes with one of his own. He leaned back and relaxed only when she broke the gaze and turned tear-bright eyes back to the window.

Soujiro watched the two cautiously, wondering at the sudden display. He hadn't expected it from either of them. He'd never thought of Sano as the insightful type, but his older friend had certainly backed Kaoru into the corner she'd built. What amazed him even more was the fact that Kaoru wasn't arguing.

With a sigh he decided to busy himself being inconspicuous while the tension in the carriage melted away. Only two more fun filled hours until they reached the palace…

A/N: Woot! Chapter two is up! I figure I'll post em' every couple of days (ie, whenever I remember -_-;;) Hope everyone here in mm.org land is enjoying this. Remember, if you ever get impatient, just head on over to ff.net, or my website, where the entire thing is posted. And I'd love it if you'd tell me what you think, too ^_^ I'm never adverse to a review or an email.