Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Letters From War ❯ Letters ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Letters From War
By: AmayaSaria
AN: This one is more focused on Kenji. I hope you all enjoy! This is the last chapter; after all, it's only a two-shot!
-----15 Years After Kenshin's Death------
It was a beautiful summer day, and the sun was shining down on Kaoru. She walked to her mailbox to check her mail.
She shuffled through a couple of her envelopes, and found what she was looking for.
A letter from Kenji. He was in a war, far away.
Kenji had joined the army recently. He wanted to fight for what he believed in, just like his father. (Although he wasn't drafted.) Every chance Kenji had, he said he would write her letters.
Kaoru read the letter. He spoke of the weather, and good friends that he made. But one thing he said really caught her eye.
He said: “Said I've been thinking about Dad, and the life that he had, that's why I'm here today.” Kenji really admired his father. Kaoru kept him alive in her heart and Kenji's. She used to always tell Kenji stories about her father, and he loved all of them.
Then at the end he said, “You are what I'm fighting for.” He said he would write that in every letter to Kaoru, and it made her smile.
She didn't waste time to respond to him. She started writing:
“You are good, and you're brave. What a father that you'll be someday. Make it home, make it safe.” (It's a sum of the letter)
She wrote every night, as she prayed to Kenshin.
“Kenshin, please help him make it through. Watch over him for me, keep him safe. I love you.” And every night she would do the same thing. Write her letter, pray to Kenshin, and then fall asleep. Then every morning she would mail the letter.
------------------------------------------------------
Then a day late in December, it was a day Kaoru would never, ever forget. Her tears stained the paper, with every word that she read. It said:
“I was up on a hill, I was out there alone, when the shots all rang out, and bombs were exploding. And that's when I saw him he came back for me. Even though I was captured a man set me free. And in the army, it's something you don't have often happen. You're never suppose to go back for a fallen comrade. This man was a special one.
And Ma'am, that man was your son. He asked me to write to you, I told him I would. Oh I swore on my life that I would. I made sure this got to you, no matter what it took. Your son loves you very much, and he was proud to have a mom like you. He had to continue on, leaving me behind to first-aid.
Ma'am, Mrs. Himura, I think your son will make it home alright.”
She prayed he was living, kept on believing.
Kaoru immediately responded to his letter. Even if he didn't get it…she wrote it anyway. She started writing:
“You are good, and you're brave! What a father that you'll be someday. Make it home, make it safe.” (Still a sum of the letters.)
Kaoru didn't care if the letters would get to him or not. She kept writing each day, and every night she'd pray to Kenshin to watch their son.
“Watch over him Kenshin, make sure he comes back home to me.” Kaoru would say every night.
It was the last of his letters from war.
------------------------------------
Two years later
Autumn leaves danced all around Kaoru, while she did her laundry outside. She sighed.
“Kenshin, I remember how you use to always do the laundry. Oh God, I really miss you.” Kaoru said aloud. “Kenshin, I'm really worried about Kenji. You and Kenji are all I can think about. I haven't gotten a response from Kenji for almost two years by now. And he's still not home. Do you think something happened to him---” Kaoru was interrupted by the sound of a car pulling up in her driveway.
Kaoru fell to the ground.
“Oh God no! Not again! Not Kenji…..!” The tears filled her eyes.
A young Captain came out of the car, and saluted her. That was where both Kenji and Kenshin stood before they left. The man spoke to her, in a strong, loud voice.
“Ma'am I'm following orders…” Kaoru started hiccupping. “…from all of your letters and I've come home again.” Kaoru gasped.
“Kenji!” She didn't recognize him from far away. Kenji dropped all of his bags on the ground. He ran into hold her.
“Mom, I missed you!” He said while hugging her. All of a sudden, he dropped some sort of package.
“What's this?” Kaoru asked. She picked it up. Kaoru gasped again.
It was all of her letters she sent them.
“You kept them?” She asked.
“It was the only thing that kept me going. And also the fact that if I died and went to where Dad is, he'd kick me out.” Kaoru hugged him. “It was Dad, he was watching over me this whole time, I could feel him with me everywhere I went.”
“I missed you Kenji.” She said, holding him tight. “Thank you Kenshin. Thank you for watching over our son.” She whispered.
And from afar, Kenshin was watching their reunion. And he smiled.
AN: THE END! Touching ending. I hope you all enjoyed it. Oh by the way, at the beginning since it's 15 yrs later, Kaoru was 45, Kenji 25. At the end Kaoru was 47, Kenji 27. (Remember its 2 years later at the end.) This whole fanfic was inspired by the song `Letters from War' by Mark Schultz. It has most of his lyrics in this chapter. Any suggestions or comments email me at AmayaSaria@inuyasha.nu