Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Rekindled Darkness ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

AN: wow! I really didn’t expect reviews so soon after I posted it I feel so loved! ^_^

Thanks guys!

A note on Batousai, I need your opinion on this, my personal opinion is the Rurouni is a mask that hides most of his emotions under a smile, while the Batousai is more direct he also is freer with his emotions in private with the ones he loves. What are your thoughts?

 

Disclamer: I wish I owned Kenshin, but… I don’t (cries) there I said it.

 

Chapter 2:

 

           ;  Kenshin released the breath he had been unconsciously holding, as he felt her heart beat. Carefully he picked her up and without even glancing back started to walk away. However, he stopped dead in his tracks when he heard a splash not too far way… Narrowing his eyes Kenshin carefully laid Kaoru down behind some bushes and with one hand on the hull of his sword crept towards the sound.

            ; Yahiko Narrowed his eyes at Sanosuke as mud dripped off his hair. “Mou! Sano this is all your fault!” he yelled.

          &nbs p; Sano just leered back, “Well this short cut certainly wasn’t my idea!”

            Both were glaring at each other in the mud, when Yahiko finally turned his head away, “Well we had better hurry up and find busu already, who knows what she’s done to Jin-ei.” He gave a small laugh as he pictured a battered Jin-ei running back and forth cleaning floors under Kaoru’s watchful eye, with her bokken in hand.

            Sano decided to let the argument drop, for now, “Right! Besides Kenshin can’t have all the fun.” He grinned as the two crawled out of the mud hole.

            Kenshin relaxed his grip on the Sakabatou when he saw who the intruders were. Quickly he slipped away undetected and using his god speed returned to the mud hole an unconscious Kaoru cradled in his arms. “Sano. Yahiko.” He said crisply, to draw their attention. Sano and Yahiko who had been brushing some of the mud off their clothes paused mid stroke, and turned towards Kenshin. “We’re going home.” Even though Kenshin’s tone wasn’t harsh, it was a command to be obeyed, without question. With that said, he turned and started back toward the dojo not even looking to see if they followed, for he knew they’d come eventually and there was no hostile ki around so they were safe at the moment.

          &nbs p; Yahiko gaped at the retreating form of Kenshin, he was acting very odd, but surely it was because of the pressure from the fight, and he’d be back to normal tomorrow, right? “M-Matte Kenshin!” he called out as he ran to catch up, his shinai casually slung over one shoulder. “What happened to busu?”

            Kenshin cast a sidelong look to the young Kendo student, before answering, “She’s fine.”

            Sano just followed along, it was obvious to any normal person Kenshin didn’t want to talk right now, however Sano isn’t one to stay quite long…

             Once at the dojo Kenshin halted at the front gate. “Kenshin-“ Yahiko started to question but was cut off by the stern look Kenshin shot at him. Cautiously Kenshin opened the gate and was ready to shift Kaoru enough so he could grab his sword if there was trouble. Glancing around however proved that the vicinity was currently safe to enter, so he beckoned Sano and Yahiko inside.   

           ;  The two boys just sent each other a meaningful look before entering.

          &n bsp; Kenshin immediately walked confidently to Kaoru’s room and closed the door softly behind him.

            Once he was sure Kenshin was inside Sano turned to Yahiko, and stuffed his hands in his pockets. He carefully studied the youth, he was worn out and apparently not wanting to show it, after all it was getting very late and they had all been up early this morning… “Yahiko.” He called softly so Kenshin (hopefully) wouldn’t hear.

            Yahiko looked at Sano and stifled a yawn; there was no way he was going to give away how tired he was, ‘Just like a little kid…’

             However, Sano’s voice cut through his thoughts, “I’ll talk to Kenshin, why don’t you get some sleep? I’m sure everything will be fine in the morn’in.”

        &n bsp;   “I’m not sure…” he said glancing toward Kaoru’s room, “Sano, did Kenshin seem different to you?” He looked back at the former street fighter with concern and confusion dancing in his eyes.

            “Yahiko, I’ll talk to him, so don’t worry…” seeing the mood taking a darker turn Sano smirked and tried to lighten the mood, “Besides I’m feeling lucky tonight.”

         &n bsp;  Yahiko stared at him for a moment as if to deiced if he should let this go tonight or not. Finally he looked away, “Alright, good night Sano.” With that he walked inside to go to bed.

            Inside, Kenshin softly walked over to Kaoru’s futon. His steal blue eyes never left her face as he gingerly set her down on the futon. Her soft breathing was the only sound that filled the room as Kenshin visibly scanned her for any injuries he may not have initially noticed.

          &nb sp; He let a small smile play on his lips as he assessed her to be physically fine… Lifting the covers he tucked her in and brushed the bangs from her face. ‘so vulnerable…’ he thought as he gazed down at her, ‘Just like she was…’ his eyes narrowed momentarily, however his eyes softened as he looked at her slightly parted lips. He leaned over and brushed his own over hers before standing up, “I thought I lost you Koishi…” he breathed out just bearly above a whisper before he walked quietly out the door and softly shut it behind him.