Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Tanabata Jasmine ❯ A Challenge ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Rurouni Kenshin.  I wish I did, the man is hot.
Tanabata Jasmine - Chapter 2
A Challenge
Strange, how it always seemed to come back to fighting.
Kenshin stared at the merchant in disbelief.  Did he hear correctly?  The ki of the man was nowhere near his level.  He smiled sweetly and ran a hand through his hair, taking refuge in the rurouni façade.  “Maa, maa!  Sessha carries his sword for self defence only, de gozaru.  Sessha would not duel over a flower, even ones as exquisite as these.”
“I don't ask the rurouni,” Senzo said with a faint smile, his voice dropping to a whisper.  “I ask the hitokiri Battousai.”
He stiffened, and flicked his gaze up to passersby to see if the merchant had been overheard.  True, some in Tokyo already knew of his identity … and there were those that could pick him from his exotic hair colouring, not to mention the scar.  Still, the idea that Senzo Karanai had seen fit to blurt it, however quietly, on a public thoroughfare filled him with genuine irritation.
Nobody was paying undue attention to them.  Just as softly, he replied. “I think not.”  And then, after a pause, he flatly added: “What do you want from me?”
“Just a fight, and nothing more, Battousai.”
“Himura Kenshin, while we are here, if you please.”
Senzo gave a shrug.  “As you wish.  Himura-san…I am not an enemy, as such.”
“Then why do you challenge me?”
“I recognized you.  Your appearance is well known in some circles, I'm sure you know.  Quite a surprise, to run into you while selling my creations.”
Kenshin stared steadily at him.
After a moment, Senzo ducked his gaze and took up the ends of the silk before him, tying the three flowers artfully into a bouquet.  He held them out with a flourish.  “If you win, I will give you all three, Himura-san.”
There was a long pause as they stared at each other.  Then, with a sigh, the sudden tension leaving his shoulders, Kenshin pushed the bouquet gently away.  “Sessha will not fight you,” he replied, wearily.  There was still confusion.  Why would an average swordsman deliberately challenge him?  Over flowers, no less?  “A sword is a weapon for serious battle.  It should only be drawn when desperately needed.  It is not to be flaunted.  Sessha will not battle you for your wares, Senzo-san.”
Astonishingly, the merchant burst into laughter, drawing the curious gazes of those around him.  Kenshin ground his teeth, and gazed down at the shinai impassively, silently willing any onlookers to lose interest and continue on.  It is Tanabata.  Enjoy.  There is nothing to see here.  His temper - fueled by nerves - had been on edge since he'd dropped past the Akabeko, and this man treating him like a fool was not helping.
The laughter subsided into chuckles, and then finally silence.  Senzo wiped the tears from his eyes and reached behind him for the shinai, and rose to his feet, bamboo sword in one hand and bouquet in the other.  Standing, he was several inches taller than Kenshin.  Wasn't everyone?
”Himura Kenshin-san.” The man's face was sober now, and he had dropped his voice once again.  “I do not wish to fight over the flowers.” He smiled wistfully.  “It is for honour.  Do you know the name Tadagawa Iyuchi?”
“…I'm afraid that I don't,” murmured Kenshin after a moment.
“Ah.  I was hoping you would.  It would certainly mean I had to explain far less.” Senzo sighed, and then tilted his head to glance at Kenshin quizzically.  “Himura-san, please.  Walk with me a moment.  I would rather not discuss this in such a public place.”
After a hesitation, Kenshin consented, and found himself with a bouquet in his arms as Senzo strapped the shinai over his shoulder.  Jasmine assailed his senses again as he balanced the flowers awkwardly with the tofu bucket, and he smiled briefly as he followed the merchant onto quieter paths.  It took him further away from the Kamiya dojo, but it could not be helped.  He would just have to apologise to Kaoru for running so late.  Perhaps with flowers, he thought idly, and then twitched.  The jasmine would get to him if he wasn't careful.
“Tadagawa Iyuchi was my sister's husband,” Senzo said soberly as they found themselves alone.  The marketplace crowds could still be heard faintly in the background, but no-one was nearby to listen.  “He joined with the Shinsengumi in his sixteenth year, but he never attained any worthwhile rank.  Four months after he became a member, the Shinsengumi clashed in the street with …your faction.”
Kenshin winced.  He knew where this was going.
“I understand, Himura-san, that it was a war.  That there are casualties.  That you were required to defend the men you were with.  But I have been told my brother-in-law died to your blade.  He left behind a widow two months pregnant with child.  She miscarried shortly afterward.”
“Is she alive?”  he asked quickly.
“My sister?  Oh, yes.  But it would be fair to say those incidents broke her spirit.  She was shamed, Himura-san.   And so …I swore to her that if I ever ran into you, I'd cross swords with you, for her honour.”
The worst part of the story was that the name rang no bells.  There were those he'd killed in the later years of his service where he'd never found out the name of his victim; just another man to cry out and die in the dark streets of Kyoto.   Kenshin closed his eyes for a moment.  “It seems to sessha that you are entitled to more than just crossing swords,” he said softly.
The answer surprised him.  “A war is a war, Himura-san.  I am wise enough to know it would never have been personal.” He smiled wryly.  “I am also aware that - with my level of skill - my likelihood of winning would be terribly small.  Give me this one chance to be able to tell my sister I challenged you.  For your trouble, I will give you that bouquet to take home to your … friend.”
“I … understand,” Kenshin replied softly.  He wasn't sure he did understand.  Surrealism washed over him.  A victim from his past life, and Senzo Karanai had not cursed his name.  In fact, the man seemed absurdly cheerful.  “But the sakabatou versus your shinai would hardly be fair.  Sessha will return home and borrow a shinai first.”
“No need,” Senzo replied swiftly.  “I have boarding at a small cottage on the outskirts of Tokyo.  If you'd care to walk with me, I can loan you my spare.  It would hardly do for your lady friend to view that pretty present ahead of time, now.”
Still, he hesitated, staring at the bucket he still held.  Kaoru would have expected him back with the tofu, by now.  She would be angry with him for taking so long, he knew - but she would be worried if he came home, only to leave for battle shortly afterward.  Even a battle as harmless as this one seemed.
“Himura-san?”
Kaoru's anger was easier for him to live with than her concern for him.  He glanced up, and smiled.  “Lead the way.”
--------------
BakaBokken: Hee! You would be the first to review. XD I'm just gonna have to write these author notes all over again, I see …