Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ To Be Alone ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Note: This fic is no longer under my control. I haven't been leading the plot since the first part, so I don't know what may happen with this story. Be prepared for twists and strange characterizations. -_-
Category: Anime, Rurouni Kenshin, Yaoi, TWT
Warnings: shonen ai, minor angst, cursing
Pairings: SanoxKenshin, Kaoru+Kenshin, Katsu+Sano
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatoumina@hotmail.com
Website/Complete Archive: http://www.geocities.com/arigatomina
Japanese=English terms:
http://www.geocities.com/arigatomina_animeinfo/index.html
To Be Alone

Part 2

Kenshin had been right when he warned that it would get cool. A chill breeze swept across the yard, lifting her hair until she tightened the cloth wrapped about her shoulders. She wasn't going to bother him, but hours had passed and she was starting to worry. Yahiko had bolted from the dojo so quickly she'd barely reached the door in time to see him disappear through the gate. It wasn't like him to just take off like that. And it wasn't like Kenshin to be so strangely quiet, or the odd look he'd turned on her. Something was wrong, and Kaoru had a horrible suspicion she'd only made it worse.

It wasn't that she wanted to control him. The last thing she'd wanted to do was to smother him. But his eyes...she'd seen that look before. That was the same cold hopeless expression he'd worn before he left for Kyoto, the same distant troubled gaze he held when he fell into his memories of the past. She'd seen it too often to mistake it. But Kenshin always snapped out of that when she caught him, flashing a quick smile, thinking of something else. If there was one thing she was certain of, Kenshin didn't like to think of those things and he welcomed lighthearted distractions. So what was different this time? At least with Kyoto, he'd been open about his plans, warned her of his departure. And whatever it was that was bothering him, wherever he'd planned to go, he hadn't gone. Somehow, the more she thought about that the more she wondered if it weren't worse that he'd stayed.

She should have been reassured, but if something were bad enough to bother him like that, he wouldn't let it go just to keep her from worrying. And the only time Kenshin refused to talk to her was when she asked about his past. Those were the only secrets he kept. So why couldn't he tell her what was bothering him? Even if there was nothing she could to do to help, at least she'd be able to offer support for him. She didn't know what was worse, that he wouldn't talk to her, or that he didn't even want to be around her. The last time Kenshin had closed himself in the dojo was after Saitoh had attacked, when he'd been busy thinking about the unknown enemy. If there were some danger that he was worried about, surely he would have just said so.

And Yahiko was going to get the lecture of his life for giving her yet another thing to worry about. Sending a sharp glare at the open gates, Kaoru leaned harder on her bent legs, tea cup held in her hands. She was worried enough about Kenshin, and now Yahiko was missing. And worse still...she was afraid to ask Kenshin for help. Oh, she didn't doubt he'd put aside whatever was bothering him if he thought Yahiko might be in danger, but to tell him...she'd have to go to his room. And she'd already upset him once today. The last thing she wanted to was to bother him when he was already staying just to reassure her. But it was getting so late...

She could always go looking by herself, but she'd still have to tell Kenshin first in case he noticed she as gone. If he even came out of his room long enough to realize he was alone in the dojo. That breeze whipped by her again, and she shivered, setting her cold tea to the side so she could wrap the blanket closer around her shoulders. Yahiko hadn't brought anything with him. He was probably freezing. And where could he have gone? He didn't really have any friends in the town, and few people would be welcoming visitors this late in the evening. The only person she could think of was Sanosuke, and he'd have sent the boy home before it got so dark. He might have had more than his share of bad habits, but he cared about Yahiko as much as the rest of them, she was sure of it.

"Then where is he...?" Impatience surged through her, accompanying a cold shiver. She'd give the boy a few more minutes, but she couldn't wait all night without doing something. Her gaze was locked on the gate, and she gasped when a shadow fell through the open doors. "Yahiko!" With a mixture of relief and awakening anger, Kaoru stood and took a few steps off onto the grass. It took her a moment before she realized the figure hadn't entered the gates. It took another moment to recognize the height was far taller than the one she was expecting. Her step faultered, fear bolting through her as she suddenly thought back to Kenshin's distraction earlier.

Taking a sharp step back, Kaoru stared at the dark outline leaning in the doorway. There was only the slightest glint of light from the person's eyes, but the clothing was far too dark to be Sanosuke. No one else would have come here so late. Her voice tried to hide in her throat and she glared, forcing her back straight. "Who are you? What do you want here?"

"Kamiya Kaoru, I take it?"

The voice didn't sound dangerous, but she still had trouble holding her position when the man finally straightened, moving into the lit part of the yard. A familiar red band caught her eye and she gaped, recognition sparking quickly. She'd seen him before. "You're-" The door behind her was thrown back sharply, and she jumped in surprise, nearly falling over her own feet. "K-Kenshin!" The redhaired man frowned at her, his eyes not quite as dim as they'd been earlier, and she heaved a sigh of relief when he moved to stand beside her.

"What is this?" Kenshin said quietly, his gaze moving over the man standing a few feet from them.

"I don't know," Kaoru said quickly, shaking her head. "I was waiting for Yahiko to come home and he showed up." She turned to the man and managed a weak smile. "You're Sanosuke's friend, aren't you?"

Katsu gave a wry smile, tilting his head as he nodded at the girl. She was as pretty as Sano had told him, but she didn't look nearly old enough to be settling down with a manslayer. "Yes, and don't worry about the kid. He's sleeping it off at my house. He was a little fired up, so I gave him some sake, that knocked him out for the night."

Remembering how weak Yahiko's tolerance for alcohol was, Kaoru could imagine that. "But why is he at your house?" she asked, frowning when Kenshin stepped past her. "Kenshin?"

"Daijobu," Kenshin said softly, flashing a light look back at her. "I'll bring him back. I should have noticed when he left earlier."

"You scared him off," Katsu commented, his voice light. Sharp eyes flicked to him, and he smiled, turning back to Kaoru. "He's fine. Sano wouldn't have left him with me if he didn't-" The short swordsman had halted at his words, and he sent him a knowing look. "If he didn't trust me," he finished, not the least bit bothered by that sharp gaze.

Kaoru was torn, her eyes moving between the two men. That sense of something being wrong was doubled suddenly, and she had the strongest urge to insist that she go with them. But Kenshin...she wasn't going to smother him... "All right," she said, managing a weak smile. "I'll just...wait here, then."

Looking back, Kenshin nodded. "I'll bring him back soon. You should wait inside if you're going to stay up, de gozaru."

"Hai."

They walked in complete silence, the wind rifling their clothing and pulling at Katsu's band. A glance found those steely violet eyes quite narrow, and focused straight ahead. Katsu glared down for a moment before sniffing. "I hear you lost it earlier." The redhead didn't speak, but he continued anyway. "The kid was really worried, you know. He said you'd gone insane. Of course, I doubted that. Looks to me like you have a few issues, though. She seems sweet." The continued silence made him smirk, and he let it hold for a few seconds before pushing. "To hear Sano talk, you'd think she was a hellion."

Kenshin halted as suddenly as Katsu had expected him to, and he turned, smirking down at the man. "Don't think he told me, he wouldn't do that. I knew it the moment I saw his face. Sano's not very good at hiding things when he's bothered. His eyes give him away." The slender man's gaze snapped up to him, and Katsu shrugged, moving forward again. "But you'd know that if you spent any time with him. Which you have. I hadn't seen him since the two of you came back from Kyoto. You must have really done a number on him for Sano to come running to me. I was starting to think he'd never speak to me again."

He was baiting the man, but Kenshin remained silent. There was no point in this little trip if he didn't break through that barrier. Turning so he could see the man as he walked, he caught those eyes. "So, how did you do it? Get him drunk? He said he was swearing off alcohol after we were together, but he was drinking up a storm tonight." That did it. Those shadowy violet eyes flashed at him, and Katsu held still, his glare falling to the hand wrapped tightly around the hilt of that sword. "You didn't think you were his first, did you?" he spat, his own eyes nearly as bright as the gold flecked ones blazing at him.

"Be silent." His grip ached to pull the blade free, and Kenshin's breath caught in his throat. "Don't say anything to me..."

"Fuck that," Katsu hissed, throwing his hands out at his sides. "Do you have any idea what it feels like to know your best friend prefers the enemy over you? That I had to sit there and try to comfort him after he chose you over me? And what did you do? You treated him worse than I did."

His throat was too tight, his instincts ready to uncoil, and Kenshin could barely hear his own sharp words. "I did nothing."

"Nothing?" Eyes wide, Katsu let out a bark of laughter. "Who are you kidding? What do you call that back there?!" He waved a hand in the direction they'd come from, noting how those sharp eyes flicked at the movement. "You used him and ran back to your woman. What did you think would happen? That he'd hang around in case you got bored with the virgin and wanted more? Let me tell you something about Sagara Sanosuke, he doesn't fuck around. I learned that the hard way. He chose you because his damn heart told him to. And I warned him this would happen. As soon as you got what you wanted you threw him aside."

"I didn't."

"You didn't what?" Katsu prodded, his voice dropping to a whisper. "You didn't want him? Didn't use him and then run straight back to that girl? You know he cares too much about her to ever fight her claim on you. He's even tried to convince himself that you don't want her that way, but it doesn't matter. If it comes down to him or her, she wins. I can't blame him for running away from that. I blame you for making him leave." For a long moment their eyes held, then Kenshin jerked back so suddenly Katsu recoiled, his arms moving to ward the expected attack. But that gold-flecked gaze had snapped to something else. A dark shadow shifted a few yards down the road, eyes glinting from where he leaned against a building.

"So you finally noticed me. You're getting lax, Himura." Smirking when Katsu gave a loud curse, Saitoh shook his head. "You really shouldn't have such a private discussion out in the open like that. You never know who might overhear. It really is a shame the aho isn't here to see the two of you fighting over him, that just might be enough to wipe that pathetic look off his face." Kenshin moved, reaching him in an instant. Katsu seemed more reluctant to come closer, but Saitoh wasn't paying him much attention anyway, taking in the dangerous glint in the former battousai's gaze. With a smirk, he lit a cigarette and looked away, seeming content to enjoy the night. He'd make Himura ask, and maybe if he felt like it, he'd point him in the right direction.

Some of his anger was falling into a cold calm, and Kenshin stared for a full minute before releasing the hilt of his sword. "You've seen him, then."

"I see him often," Saitoh smirked, tilting his head back against the wall. "He does like to roam the alleys at night. One might think he was hoping for a fight. I've considered giving him one more than once."

Katsu stiffened at that, but Kenshin knew there was little danger in the threat. Saitoh took pleasure out of taunting him, but he wasn't the sort who would do that. He took his oath against evil seriously, though he stretched his own level at times. Kenshin waited another minute to let the comment pass. "You saw him tonight?"

"About an hour ago," Saitoh smiled, his eyes narrowing with mirth. "He still can't seem to sense me when I tail him. I could have killed him nine times over before he even knew I was there. Such a wreckless boy."

"You-"

"Where did you see him," Kenshin interrupted, his voice smooth. A sharp glare hit him from the side, and he frowned when Katsu moved in front of him.

"Do you think you're going after him?" Kasu glared. "What's the point? You promised the girl you'd be back soon. There's nothing you can do in so little time. If he wants to go, let him. Dragging him back will only make things worse. You caused this, the least you can do is let him make a clean break. I won't let you hurt him again."

"This is so heartwarming," Saitoh drawled, blowing a trail of smoke at black-haired man. "You took advantage of him and he avoided you. Now Himura takes his turn and he runs again. So the two of you fight about it when you both are guilty. In the meantime, I wonder who will be next?" Two sets of glares snapped to him, and he gave a dark smile. "Is there anyone else he trusts? I'm afraid we don't get along well enough for that, and it really should be someone he cares about so he can be broken afterward."

Katsu lurched forward, his glare locked on Saitoh. "This isn't a joke, and it's none of your business." A dark hand shot out, and his mouth snapped shut as he was jerked forward, narrow eyes staring down at him.

"I'll decide what is and is not my business," Saitoh drawled, twisting his hand in the cloth until the young man was barely touching the ground. "And I find this absolutely hilarious. After what you did, Himura is a saint. And the aho is even more ignorant than I thought, to have gone back to you for help. He must really have no one without Himura to confide in."

Fighting Saitoh was the same as trying to take on the battousai, and Katsu had seen Sano fall to both within minutes. He held still, but his eyes blazed. "What do you know."

"Didn't I say I watch the streets at night?" Saitoh reminded him, his gaze flicking to the side to glint at Kenshin before returning to the angry youth. "It's a long walk from your house to his. I really doubted he'd make it. Did it really take that much alcohol to persuade him? And you still couldn't get him to stay afterward. You have no place telling anyone what to do." That angry expression vanished from Katsu's face, and he sniffed, pushing him away again. "Following that aho has provided a regular drama. It would be dull without him here. Although, as little attention as he was paying to his surroundings I wouldn't be surprised if he wandered off some cliff in the dark. He has no sense of direction." Kenshin turned sharply, glancing to the right, and Saitoh smirked. "So what are you going to do?"

"I have to get Yahiko," Kenshin said, turning away from the two of them. Katsu jolted after him, and he glared when the man stepped in front of him again. "Move."

"Are you going after him?"

Saitoh's words had marked a sharp change in Katsu's expression, but they'd incited more anger toward the man than Kenshin had held before knowing the details. By all rights the glare he sent the man should have set him on fire. "After I get Yahiko. Don't get in my way."

"He'll be long gone by that time. I'll take the kid home." Katsu clenched his teeth when Kenshin sidestepped him, and he didn't even notice Saitoh's movements behind them. "If you go back there what are you going to tell that girl?"

"I promised her I would bring Yahiko home," Kenshin said, not looking back. "I keep my promises. What I do after that is not your concern."

"You won't catch up with him." A low chuckle sounded over Katsu's shoulder and he bristled, glaring to find Saitoh following them. "You."

"I thought you didn't want Himura to bring him back. It sounds like you are afraid they will reconcile and leave you in the wake. Things would be easier for you if you and Himura were both miserable, wouldn't they."

"Shut up," Katsu growled, stalking after Kenshin. "And stay away from me." The redhead broke into a sudden run and he cursed, the speed leaving him far behind. He was about to follow when a hand caught in his hair, jerking him back. "Bastard!"

All hints of humor left Saitoh's face as he leaned close to the man, his voice a quiet whisper. "If you really cared about him, you never would have taken advantage of him. What you did is a betrayal to him, and to yourself. Himura is not like you. He would have held back forever rather than make a move. You won't get rid of your guilt by protecting Sagara from him. All you're doing is making things worse." Katsu looked back at him from the corner of his eye and he shoved him away. The man turned to glare at him and he lit a cigarette, waiting a moment before returning the stare. "Let it go. Once Himura catches him, things should be interesting. I look forward to it."

The tall man turned to walk away and Katsu managed a weak glare after him. "He won't catch up with him."

"Oh, I don't think the aho will get too far tonight," Saitoh called back, smirk firmly in place. "In fact, I'm sure of it."

* * *
TBC
-notes-
Okay, like I said with the first part, this is just getting weird. I'm sure the characters are totally off, but it's just coming out this way and there's nothing I can do about it. Also, we're going to have either a happy ending or a death - and no, Kaoru is *not* going to die. That much I can promise...as for the rest of them...I sense angst and possible lemon content in the future... @_@