Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Requiem of Hope ❯ Chapter 1 - A summoner is born ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter One - A Summoner is born
 
Her hair was blown from her face by a strong sea breeze as a ten year old Usagi stood next to her open window, gazing at the scenery below. Things had certainly progressed since Sin had attacked that fateful day. Everything had been rebuilt. The tower where she and Setsuna watched Sin's attack was gone. Lady Setsuna had decided to destroy it because it was a painful testament to what sin had done that day. A new harbor was built and the island once again became a bustling place.
 
The beach where the attack happened remained deserted however, and a crystal monument stood on a nearby cliff, a testament to the bravery of the fallen. Usagi often stole away to come there and pay her respects. In addition to this, each of the fallen priestesses had a monument ornately carved with their temple emblems positioned near the base of the main temple. Even now during this, Lord Braska's calm, the vivid memory of that day clung to her, never allowing her to forget. She breathed the fresh salt air deeply, feeling it wash away her doubts and the somber thoughts racing through her mind. She shouldn't be thinking of such things now, especially on such an important day.
 
They had trained hard and long for years to reach this point. Usagi herself had spent late nights studying, and early mornings helping the elder nuns with the their chores, all the while trying her best. Her mother was her inspiration, the people, her strength.
 
It had been hard for them all when the priestesses died but thankfully Lady Setsuna was there for them. She was there for them all. She was the mother they all lost, and under her guide they all became quite powerful and skilled.
 
But today was the day when they would learn who among them would become the next in line for the title of high priestess. They were all put to the test two weeks ago in the presence of Lady Setsuna and the older nuns. The tests were rigorous with various skills including magic and battle skills being thoroughly examined and criticized. However since then Usagi had lost the enthusiasm that the others had. But even during this important and exciting time, Usagi was not completely happy. It was all she could do to pretend to be excited when Minako, Rei and the others talked about who was going to be chosen.
 
She watched the horizon every day since then, unconsciously searching for any sign of Sin's return. Every black cloud mass on the horizon sent a wave of fear through her, sometimes leaving her shaking and even gasping for air. She knew the calm would end soon and once again they would be terrorized by it. It was a vicious cycle, this spiral. Always watching, always waiting, sparsely interrupted with brief cycles of calm. It was during times like this that she clung the most to her guardian Setsuna. She hated that feeling of vulnerability. And inwardly, she had a deep hatred for herself, and her crippling weakness.
 
Then one day she overheard what Lady Seveilla and Lady Linna was talking about just before the time of their trials.
 
-------------------
Usagi was on her way to the sphere archives when she heard voices in an off limits part of the temple cellar. Curiosity got the best of her so despite the warnings, she quietly headed towards the voices, being careful not to be seen. She spotted two nuns whom she recognized from the temple of Chronos and hid behind a wall and listened intently.
 
“Lord Braska was a summoner right? I know you came from the mainland and were an acolyte at the temple of Djose, so what exactly is a summoner Linna.”
 
“A summoner is a person who has the ability to call forth the aeons. They're the only things that can truly defeat sin, if the disaster that happened has taught use anything” Lady Linna responded.
 
“Ah, really? I suppose you're right. You would know afterall, since spira has been plagued by sin for a millennia…… Lady Seveilla's voice drifted off as they continued to walk towards the vault.
 
 
-------------------
 
Later, after mustering up her courage, she had gone and spoken with Lady Linna. After a bit of begging she finally told Usagi all she knew about summoners, aeons and the teachings of yevon. Usagi became very intrigued by Yevon and its teachings. This was parly the reason why she had lost her enthusiasm for being high priestess. She knew in her heart that she wouldn't be content staying here either. Not when she knew that she could do more than just sit and wait for the inevitable return of that creature, Sin.
 
That day when her mother was finally put to rest, she made a vow to stop the suffering caused by sin. And when she learned about summoners from Lady Linna that gave her an idea.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Usagi, Rei, Minako, Ami, Makoto, Haruka and Michiru -1- all took their place before the temple council. Each was dressed in their temple's traditional colors and garments. They knelt on the floor, atop large throw cushions. Before them were ornately decorated silver boxes, each engraved with the sigil of their temple. They sat still backs straight and heads held high. Setsuna looked at their expectant faces blankly. She couldn't give away their decision just yet.
 
She cleared her throat, and the girls perked up in wrapped attention. “Let's begin,” she said simply.
 
Lady Honta stepped forward, opening the scroll in her hand. “All of you here today displayed exceptional skill and prowess in your arts and you each should be proud of your efforts. However,” she paused dramatically, surveying their faces in approval. Not one showed a glimmer of excitement. “Only one of you can become high priestess. While all of you displayed perfect technique and power, some of you did better than others. Lady Minako and Lady Serenity, please step forward.”
 
The girls blinked, then rose and stood before the elder nun, heads bowed in respect for her status. “Lady Minako, Lady Serenity, you both shone above the rest in the tests given. Your level of skill is truly amazing and I'm sure that you two will both be shining lights to your temples.
 
But Lady Serenity, you showed two qualities in a priestess which are prized above all. Your exceeding compassion for others is truly admirable. And while you do have your shortcomings, it is our collective consensus that you will be a truly great priestess, and maybe even surpass your mother before you. It is because of this that you have been chosen to carry the legacy and become the next high priestess.”
 
Applause was heard when the next in line was announced but Usagi didn't lift her head. Her heart was unusually heavy and she almost felt like she was suffocating. She realized that this was definitely not what she wanted to do.
 
“Lady Setsuna,” she said loudly, causing the applause to die down. She looked Setsuna dead in the eye, with the most serious look on her face.
 
“Yes Serenity?” she asked.
 
“I am truly honored that I have been chosen as the next high priestess. I know my mother would be very happy to know that I succeeded. But I know that this is not the path that I want my life to take now. My mother died protecting this island because the people here were important to her. She wanted to stop their suffering, and give them a chance at life. And I want to do the same. This calm cannot last forever and when it comes to an end and sin is reborn, I want to make sure that it doesn't cause the same pain to others as it did here. Lady Setsuna, I want to become a summoner!” she proclaimed passionately.
 
Loud gasps could be heard all around. Setsuna could not believe what she just heard. Her head was reeling with questions. “Who could have told her about summoners?” “Does she even know what a summoner does?”
 
But one look at Usagi's eyes was enough to tell her that she couldn't persuade her to change her mind. She closed her eyes, and forced herself not to shake her head in dismay. She had so many questions for her but only one question came out. “Are you absolutely sure about this?”
 
Usagi nodded. “I do have one request however. I wish to train as a head priestess as planned.”
 
Setsuna nodded, understandingly. “I grant your wish then. You are no longer to become high priestess, that position will be filled by Lady Minako. You will be allowed to pursue the path of a summoner and that of a priestess. You do realize however, that your training will be more intense than those of your fellow priestesses in training?”
 
“I understand,” she said nodding her head firmly with a determined look in her eyes.
 
“Very well then, it is hereby my decree that Lady Serenity will train as a priestess up until the age of thirteen. At such time she will travel to the mainland to pursue her wish of becoming a summoner.”
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Later that day, her good friend and training partner Rei went in search for Usagi. She found her in her usual place near her mother's shrine -2-, deep in thought. She drew back behind a palm tree, preferring to observe rather than interrupt.
 
“I finally found a way to keep my promise to you mother. I've discovered the way that the yevonites have been dealing with sin all these years. Nearly a millennium has passed since it was born and still no one has truly defeated it. But at least they know how to kill it, and they've done a better job than you and the other priestesses did.” She gasped, covering her mouth with her hand.
 
“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound so rude. Forgive me,” she apologized, bowing her head. Silence was her only response. Usagi laughed; even now she still spoke as though her mother was right next to her. But this was the way in which she coped with her grief for so long.
 
A soft sigh escaped her lips as she turned her head towards the water. “You know, mother, I intend to keep that promise I made that day. I don't care if it just comes back, its better than sitting here doing nothing right? I don't want another village or person to go through what we did. Our method didn't work, so the answer must lie in Yevon, right? And if only for a few years more people can sleep carefree at night then that's enough isn't it?”
 
Rei couldn't stand back and take anymore of it. “Usagi! They're holding a banquet in Minako's honor now,” she called out, walking out from behind the palm tree.
 
If Usagi was startled, she didn't show it. “It's started already?” she asked dusting the sand off of her skirt.
 
“Yes, I've been looking for you for a while now,” she smiled, grabbing her arm and tugging it. “Let's hurry before Minako and Makoto eat all the sweets!”
 
Usagi laughed, allowing herself to be carried off by her best friend.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
The years passed and soon Usagi turned thirteen. During those times she trained very hard and became quite skilled in her arts. It was apparent to Setsuna that she was the natural choice to become high priestess. Her dedication was admirable and there wasn't a complaint about the long hours she spent training. Long after the others were asleep she was up struggling to complete her priestess training.
 
She was taught both white and black magic skills, though she was more adept at using white healing magic more than anything else. She also showed a keen interest in medicine, helping in the city infirmary whenever she could. Whether it was babies or wounds, she was eager to help. Nothing was too much for her and soon the people came to respect her as a healer. She wasn't the best, that position was held by her fellow priestess Ami, but what she lacked in skill, she made up for in other ways.
 
During this she spent her free time in the company of her best friend. Rei recognized the hardships she was going through and that determination struck her. Even if she herself couldn't do it with Usagi, she wanted to be there along side her as much as possible, in support of her friend
 
On the day that she was scheduled to leave the island, Setsuna summoned her to her private chambers.
 
“I am here, your grace.” She said upon entering the room. Setsuna motioned for her to take a place by her side on the bed.
 
“Do you know why I have summoned you here, Usagi?” she asked.
 
“I have no idea why, my Lady,” she said bowing her head. Setsuna stifled a chuckle. `Even now after all this time, formalities.'
 
“You are leaving young one. Today you leave a priestess and when you return, you will be a summoner. You have worked very hard to become a full high priestess at such a tender age.” Setsuna reached over to Usagi and softly cupped her face with her hand, tilting her head upwards. “I admire your strength,” she said softly.
 
Usagi blushed, lowering her eyes. Setsuna laughed, letting her go. “You are so much like your mother, did you know that?” Usagi looked up puzzled.
 
“I am?”
 
“Yes, both of you are very strong, and hold on firmly to your convictions. That was the thing I admired most about Lady Selenity, and about you. Your mother would be very proud of you this day.”
 
“Do you think so? I want so much for her to be proud of me,” she responded.
 
“She already was, before she died,” she assured her smiling.
 
“Thank you, Lady Setsuna,” she said smiling as well.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
“Bye bye `Sagi!” Hotaru called out, waving enthusiastically. “Bring me something back!”
 
“Yes, I will, I promise,” Usagi responded with a smile, waving as well. She wouldn't get to see her home for the next three years and it almost was too much to bear. They were just leaving the dock and already she felt the pangs of homesickness tugging at her heart.
 
“Bye Usagi!” the others called out once more, their smiling faces reassuring her. She looked at the dock for her guardian, but she didn't come, just like she said. They had said their goodbyes in that room, away from the others. Before she left, they embraced, and she felt guilty for abandoning Setsuna for so long. But it couldn't be helped. This was what she wanted to do more than anything, keep her promise.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Usagi was terribly seasick through the entire ocean passage. By the time they reached their destination at Luca, she was ready to kiss the ground in relief. She was barely able to bring her bags to the top deck. A kind al bhed woman named Naida helped her and brought her to the dock. That was the good thing about her island; they had strong ties with the Guado and Al Bhed.
 
She sighed and sat on her bags, waiting for her guado guide. She didn't have long to wait.
 
“Lady Serenity, I presume?” an old kind voice said, startling her out of her thoughts.
 
Usagi jumped slightly, her heart racing. She looked up to see a slightly familiar, old face before her. “Are you Trommel?” she asked hesitantly.
 
The guado nodded. “I am here to take you safely to Guadosalam. There is a chocobo carriage waiting for us on the highroad. Shall we go my lady?”
 
“Umhm,” she said, nodding. Suddenly, two more guado appeared behind her, taking her bags.
 
A guado's appearance would be frightening to those not used to seeing one. Certainly their extremely exotic features were a bit frightening. From their tangled hair and pale skin to their veined faces and long limbs, they looked quite different from humans. However their mellow dispositions and kindness more than made up for their appearance, and their hospitality was well noted, especially towards summoners.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
As she saw when she was coming into port, Luca was a big city, a bit bigger than her home city. There were a lot of people there as well, from humans to al bhed and even this strange animal like creature which she learned were ronso. There were all kinds of shops and merchants, selling cloth and other items. They even had a restaurant and a theater! She wondered if it was anything like the one they had a home. Usagi wished she could stay longer and explore it, but she didn't voice them to her guide. It would be a bit rude and direct of her, especially since she was under their hospitality. Besides she was eager to reach her destination, Macelania temple. She was very excited to see snow for the first time. And Lady Setsuna had made for her a complete wardrobe of warm clothes for her stay there, which she was very excited to wear.
 
As she passed through the square, the large crystal monument there caught her eye. It was big, and there was something about the way the light shone on it that kept her attention drawn to it. It was not unlike the crystal she received on the day of her becoming a full priestess. But this one lacked the luster that her mother's had.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
When they had reached the Mihen Highroad, Usagi was wide eyed when she saw the carriage. It was a bit old and worn, but that's not what surprised her at all. Pulling it, were two large yellow birds, both a bit fidgety. At the head was another guado, the carriage's driver.
 
“Are those chocobos?” she asked, in awe.
 
“Why yes my lady. Do they not have these on your island?” He asked.
 
She nodded her head. “We have them, but they're bigger and white in color. These certainly are a bit small.”
 
Trommel chuckled. “It's refreshing to travel with youngsters.” He then helped her into the carriage. “So full of wonder and excitement. It's been a while since we've had guests.”
 
“Do you not get visitors in Guadosalam?” she asked as he sat besides her. “Our temple gets them all the time.”
 
“Well my lady, we have no temple, so Guadosalam is merely a rest stop where people pass through on their way to the other temples.”
 
“How far is Guadosalam from here then?”
 
“Three days journey at most. But don't worry,” he added after seeing the look on her face. “Time will go by rather quickly. You should enjoy it.”
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
The three day journey to Guadosalam was delightful for Usagi. Almost everywhere she looked was something new. The yevonites wore strange clothes to her, and she saw a lot of strange and exciting new things. She was ecstatic when she got to ride the shoopuff. She enjoyed it, though she was scared at first of the massive beast. But they were gentle creatures, and one even allowed her to play with its nose.
 
Trommel told her stories about the places they passed, to help the time go faster. She listened in rapt attention to everything he said, committing them to memory. When they arrived in Guadosalam on the night of the third day, she was fast asleep. Trommel decided not to wake the wondrous child and carried her to the mansion.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
When Usagi woke up the following day, it was to a strange room. She had been dressed in some odd styled clothes and lay on a very comfortable bed. The room was large though dark and light filtered through the light blue colored glass windows. The lamps on the wall were also lit, though they did little to lighten the atmosphere of the room.
 
“You're up my lady,” a guado woman spoke out. Usagi jumped slightly at the voice. The woman bowed in respect. “Forgive me for startling you my lady. You will find a change of clothes on that chair. And Maester Jyscal requests your presence at breakfast. I will be waiting for you outside.”
 
It was a while before she managed to get out of bed. She hadn't felt this comfortable in almost two weeks and was reluctant to leave the warm bed. However she knew that it would be very rude and ungracious of her if she was late. She hopped out of bed and dressed quickly, making herself presentable for her introduction to the maester of Yevon.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Lord Jyscal watched as the young priestess walked into the room. Lady Setsuna had told him about her and she was everything she described. It was a bit unusual for a priestess to leave her temple, but he knew her motives were positive. His son, Seymour was next to him. It seemed almost too good to be true, that his son would forgive him so soon. He himself had put that boy, now a young man through a lot. But the past seemed to be erased and a new slate was started with him.
 
Usagi bowed before the two guado, her eyes fixed to the ground. “My apologies for keeping you waiting, my grace.”
 
“That's alright, young priestess of Selene. Please rise,” he said kindly. “I as you know, am Jyscal Guado, Maester of Yevon. This is my son, Seymour.”
 
“Pleased to meet you my lords,” she responded politely bowing again.
 
“There is no need for such formalities. Please, let us eat. I know you must be hungry from your long trip, especially so far away from home.”
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
During breakfast, Lord Jyscal conversed with Usagi. She was very polite and passive in nature, with a kind and gentle soul, though a bit naive and self aware. He got a feel for her resolve and determination. But one thing still bothered him.
 
“Lady Serenity how is it that you're so keen on becoming a summoner?” He asked directly.
 
Usagi grew silent, wondering how to answer. Then after a while, she spoke up. “I'd like to keep those reasons to myself, my lord. But please don't think of me as being rude. There are just some things that I want to keep inside.”
 
He smiled kindly at her. Didn't they all have feelings like that? “I respect your decision then. My son is also training to become the high priest at the temple of Macalenia. He is a summoner himself, so it's fitting that you study under him.”
 
Seymour's initial reaction to this news was to voice his opposition, but after giving it some thought, his mind thought better of the situation. He could use this to his advantage after all.
 
Seymour at first wondered why they were being so formal and nice to this human girl. She reminded him of the al bhed because of her blond hair, but her eyes were blue, not the typical bright green and didn't have that swirl pattern that the al bhed shared.
 
He knew she came from an island that was unknown to the rest of spira, save for the guado, but that's about it. And here his father was, treating her like royalty. It sickened him. He had grown hatred towards his father, and what he did to he and his mother. And anything that won his father's favor was to be despised. So even before he got to know the girl, his animosity for her took root.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
In the weeks following Usagi's departure, things became quiet. Setsuna missed the way the girl often interrupted her work just to talk to her, or to complain, or even because she was worried about her. Setsuna was not the only one however, as Rei also missed her friend. It's true she was good friends with Minako, who was Usagi's cousin, but the two weren't as close as Usagi and Rei themselves. They were almost inseparable, with Rei constantly yelling, fussing and worrying over Usagi, and Usagi just doing things to make Rei yell and being very protective of her friend.
 
It was this relationship that prompted her to her current position. Inside the temple to Chronos, antechamber. Setsuna had just finished a marriage ceremony when Rei came to her. To be honest, Lady Setsuna intimidated her, from her commanding voice to the graceful and sensual way she carried herself. Her voice was soft, yet firm, her face friendly, and at the same time, a bit scary if angered. And with the intimidation came a deep respect. She wanted to be just like Lady Setsuna. So it was a bit hard for her to even approach her when she did.
 
Setsuna looked at the timid girl with interest. Rei was a lot like her mother, a fiery temper and fierce loyalty as her trademarks. She knew that both she and Usagi were close to each other.
 
“Um, Lady Setsuna?”
 
“What is it that you wish to ask, Rei?” She said directly, turning fully towards her.
 
Rei stepped back and bowed. “I want to become Usagi's guardian when she comes back,” she said quietly.
 
A puzzled look crossed Setsuna's face. `First Usagi and now Rei, who is talking to them I wonder,' Setsuna thought. “What do you know about guardians?”
 
“I know that they protect a summoner on their journey, and I want to protect Usa. She's my best friend and I know she's going to need one. Plus I want to see the rest of Spira as well. Also,” she continued, a slight blush creeping across her cheeks. “I heard about the temple of fire in Kilika and I would like to go there.”
 
“A summoner's pilgrimage isn't for pleasure you know,” she said sternly. However she softened when she saw her freeze. “Being a guardian means more than protecting your summoner, it means that you must also understand your enemies, your environment and be willing to give your life so that they may reach the end of their pilgrimage safely.”
 
“I-I didn't know,” she said a bit dejectedly, lowering her eyes to the floor. She could tell that Setsuna was discouraging her.
 
Setsuna bent down, lifting her head with her fingertips. “Your request is still noble, and I know how much you care for your friend. Do you still wish to protect Serenity? Even knowing that you may be hurt or even killed for her sake?”
 
Rei stared into her burgundy eyes for a moment before nodding her head. “I love Usa and I want to protect her. When she told me what she was going to do, I wanted to find some way to help but I couldn't until I talked to Lady -“
 
“Lady who?” Setsuna asked. She wanted to find out who was giving them all this information.
 
Rei shook her head furiously, backing away from Setsuna. “Please don't ask me to tell.”
 
Setsuna sighed. “I will allow you to become a guardian, but you have to learn about spira first. You must learn the topography, the cultures and the people. You must also learn about your enemies and the tools used in defeating them. It will be a lot of work.”
 
Rei's eyes brightened. “Really? And I can journey with Usagi?”
 
“Yes, you can,” she said smiling.
 
“Thank you!” she said happily bowing before running out.
 
After she left, Setsuna sighed deeply, pressing a hand to her forehead. She needed to investigate this thoroughly and remove the problem before any more of the priestesses decided to follow in Usagi's footsteps.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
 
The years rolled by with Usagi working eagerly alongside Lord Seymour, slowly winning his favor. She showed the same eagerness and willingness to learn now as she did when she was studying to become a high priestess. Unwittingly, Lord Seymour and Lady Serenity became friendly to each other. Seymour felt his initial animosity for her dissipate, though not completely. In his eyes, his father treated her better than he treated him though this wasn't truly the case. She hung on his words and actions, absorbing as much as she could in her stay there.
 
Towards the end of the second year of her training, speculation rose as to a union between the two. Usagi was a bit horrified at the rumors but Seymour was amused. He didn't hate her, and marriage didn't seem entirely unpleasant to him if it was her. However, he knew better than to give the idea any serious thought. His father warned that getting attached to the young priestess would be bad, emotionally and politically. And besides, she didn't fit into his plans for the future; there was nothing to gain from taking her as his bride.
 
Eventually Usagi noticed the darkness that had crept over the young lord's heart and it was growing stronger. She began distancing herself from him on the advice of Setsuna, with whom she exchanged letters often. She knew that Setsuna would never lead her wrong and trusted her advice above all else.
 
She and Rei also had frequent contact. Every other week without fail they sent letters to each other about, telling all about what they did that week. It was through these that they became close. It was through this that Usagi revealed her brief infatuation with Lord Seymour. And Rei revealed that she and Lady Minako shared a rather racy exchange in the bath house.
 
All too soon, the third year and final year of her training came and went. Before she knew it, it was time to actually enter the chamber of the fayth and finally become a summoner.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Usagi was nervous. This day was what her training was all about. She pulled her coat tighter around her. The air was bitterly cold today, much colder than usual. She noticed that as soon as Seymour opened the last door before they reached the chamber of the fayth. The path was narrow and rather treacherous but they did make it down safely, with him leading the way.
 
They stopped at the door which automatically opened to receive them, and she turned to face him, unsure of what to do exactly.
 
“Beyond is the chamber of the fayth. Just pray honestly and sincerely and you should be fine,” he assured her, placing his hand on her shoulder. She nodded and stepped inside.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
 
Twenty hours later the doors opened, and a very exhausted Usagi stepped out. She fell to her knees, trying to compose herself. That wasn't at all what she expected it to be. She looked wearily for Lord Seymour but she was alone. Her head was throbbing and her world spun as she tried to stand. Her blood roared in her ears, her veins seemed filled with ice.
 
She reflected on what had happened. She prayed hard and long, but nothing. Soon she gave up and prayed to Selene to aid her in this task. She prayed to Yevon and asked that it find favor in her and grant her the power of the aeons. As the hours passed, her prayers grew desperate. She refused to fail now. She worked so hard and had come too far just to fail.
 
***
Usagi shivered as the cold grew more intense. It had been a long time since she had come in and her legs were numb. Her eyes were heavy with sleep, her lips and fingers blue from the subzero temperatures. It hurt to take every breath, hurt to still be in this position. She felt that she was at the end of her limit. And still they wouldn't come.
 
She at last fell forward, too exhausted to keep upright. She reached out her hand and touched the smooth glass protecting the fayth and cried. This was just too much. No matter how strong her will was her body couldn't continue.
 
“Please, help me,” she whispered. Images of what sin had done to her home flooded her mind. Struggling, she sat up, determination driving her.
 
“Please, I can't do this by myself!” she cried out passionately.
 
Pyreflies -3- began to gather out of nowhere and a woman's form appeared over the statue of the fayth. Usagi gasped, her eyed widened at the sight.
 
`Daughter of Selene, you have worked hard to come here. Your resolve is admirable and your will is strong. We, the fayth have heard your request, and will help you. But know this; Yevon is not with you. Do you still wish to continue on, even knowing this?'
 
Usagi nodded. “This is what I wish.”
 
`Then accept my aeon,' she said holding her hands out.
***
 
She had done it. Even without Yevon's favor, she would continue on knowing that she had the help of those she needed most. The aeons and the fayth.
 
“I am a summoner,” she whispered, shakily rising to her feet.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Seymour paced slowly before the door. It had been a long time since she went it, and despite all he told himself, he was worried. Just as he was ready to go and retrieve Usagi himself, the door opened. A very wary Usagi walked in and he rushed to her side, knowing she would probably collapse. Which she did, against his chest.
 
“Are you alright?” he asked, holding her carefully. The last thing he wanted to do right now was to hurt her unintentionally.
 
She lifted her head and looked at him, directly. “I did it,” was all she said before she fainted.
 
-------------------
In the next chapter, all the characters come into play. The journey will officially begin in chapter 3. Any questions, comments and constructive criticism are welcome. I'm curious to know whether people want long chapters or shorter ones. I am partial to reading and writing long chapters, but if they're too long I will shorten them.
 
-1- Hotaru is not present here because she is too young to participate in the selection process.
-2- Small monuments or shrines were built near each temple for each of the ladies who died.
-3- Pyreflies are mysterious creatures found throughout Spira. They have many uses but the most notable is of those who live in the Farplane which react to the memories of the living, allowing them to see their deceased loved ones.