Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Polarity ❯ Particle Evolution ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Ranma had to admit he actually liked this new form. Sure he had a slight panic attack when he had woken up, not only from finding out he was a huge cat but also from finding his head in Sailor Jupiter's lap, but that had gone away quickly when his dream had sunk in.
 
The two girls told him it wasn't really a dream, but he didn't really understand what an `awakening' was, so he ignored it. All he knew was that he could now think about cats; even be one, without going totally spastic.
 
Now he was in this new body, and even if it was magic helping him adapt he got used to it in quick order. Muscle groups were different, built onto a larger frame and packing great power. His senses were stronger, and he knew this because he could pick out exactly where Sailor Jupiter was behind him from her scent.
 
The first new scent he had found when he woke up and he would never forget it.
 
And the fact that he was running around on four legs now also took a little getting used to. But if a half crazy nympho Amazon girl could do it, so could he.
 
Walking, actually stalking, forward, Ranma took in the dozen creatures in front of him. He could smell them as well, and it was foul and sickly. Letting out a low growl, something that he really liked now because of the intimidation factor, he shifted his weight and got ready to pounce.
 
Looking past the horde he saw the sorceress that Jupiter had told him was called Famine. She felt as strong as War did, maybe even stronger. But that didn't matter now.
 
It was time to show them who the top cat was in this urban jungle.
 
Ranma leapt into the air and roared out, “Let's go wild!”
 
 
Polarity
By Seth
Chapter 13
Particle Evolution
 
Note: Ranma and Sailor Moon are owned by their respective creators and distributors. I use them without permission or gain, but with respect to the work done before me.
 
 
The Senshi watched in amazement as the giant cat charged the enemy. It was feline grace and raw power combined. As one they turned to see a still unsteady Sailor Moon being supported by Sailor Jupiter, who was watching the hunter attack his pray.
 
Sailor Saturn finally managed, “Saber Polaris? Is that…?”
 
“Yup,” the brunette said plainly, “Ranma's transformed state…or part of it anyway…I think…”
 
Venus blinked, “What's that supposed to mean? I thought Polaris was a guy? That looks more like Artemis on steroids with a cosplay fetish.” All the Senshi looked over at the blond with odd looks and she blinked, “What?”
 
“Um…” said Moon hesitantly, “anyway…Long story short is that there was some kind of mental trauma that combined with a weird Chinese curse and it created a second Star Seed.”
 
A clattering was heard and the Senshi saw that Pluto had actually dropped her staff to the ground as her eyes went wide in shock.
 
“That's not possible,” the Time Guardian whispered, “that much power would rip a person apart, or drive them insane. Look what happened to Sailor Cosmos when she absorbed Chaos.”
 
“It's not like that,” Jupiter said with confidence. “Jusenkyo didn't really create a Star Seed. It just adapted itself to try and balance the power. Sailor Polaris is still in there, uncorrupted by the curse, but it's anchored to his other half. Saber Polaris is the curse's attempt to interpret the Star Seed.”
 
Mars looked at her friend and asked, “How do you know all that?”
 
“I saw it. The curse, the Neko-ken, I saw it all.”
 
“Jupiter was the one to awaken Polaris,” Sailor Moon said in explanation.
 
There was a long pause while the Senshi looked on. The armored white tiger was tearing into the enemy ranks with wild abandon allowing the Senshi time to recover. The girls regrouped, each lost in their own thoughts about the new feline addition to their team.
 
“Should we be, you know, helping him,” Venus asked after a while.
 
“Nah,” Jupiter responded, “he's having too much fun.”
 
Meanwhile, Famine watched from under her hood as the giant animal assaulted her ranks. It was an unforeseen event, but even with the slow destruction of her troops she was still confident of her victory. As the tiger swatted another imp aside, sending it into a concrete wall with a loud crack and proceeded to jump onto its next target, forcing it into the ground with savage strength, she raised her golden hand and charged her power.
 
Bolts of energy lashed out, impaling one of her own, and heading on to the tiger. But the great beast almost seemed to pop upwards at the last second, jumping a dozen feet into the air as the attack impacted the ground where it was standing.
 
Taking a few steps back, the armored tiger glanced about, evaluating the battlefield. As he did he saw that two of the enemy were charging him, and rearing up on his hind legs he whipped his forepaws out, catching each by the back off the head and smashing them together and slamming them into the ground.
 
He growled out in a low tone over his shoulder, “Think you girls can handle the last six while I tangle with their boss?”
 
“How nice,” Uranus said as she readied the Space Sword, “Fuzzface is giving us some leftovers.”
 
Jupiter nodded as she slid forward, “He's considerate like that, so let's enjoy.”
 
Quickly the two sailor suited warriors moved to engage the enemy as their comrades recovered. Mars and Venus followed behind them with renewed vigor. Sailor Moon stayed behind and began to get the other girls back on their feet for the now more even fight.
 
Meanwhile, Saber Polaris' muscular feline form paced back and forth, each pass bringing him closer to Famine. The sorceress stood calmly as the jungle cat approached, but her glowing eyes tracked it's every move.
 
“You are not what we were expecting,” she hissed out from under her hood. “What happened to the girl that War was defeated by?”
 
“Oh, she's around,” the armored white tiger answered. “So where is Tin Grin anyway? I wanted to play with him.”
 
Famine held up her gauntleted arm and let power crackle over its surface, “He paid the price for his failures. Our master would only tolerate so much from him, and since he proved himself weaker then that girl he was destroyed.”
 
That stopped Polaris cold. His growl deepened and he asked softly, “He lost a fight and you people killed him? He fought with skill and honor, and for that he was…What kind of monsters are you?”
 
“The kind that will destroy you as well, Saber Polaris.”
 
With that Famine flung her arm forward, sending a cascade of energy out at the armored tiger. Polaris skittered sideways out of the way but part of the fusillade scored his armor. With a snarl he ran forward, attempting to get inside the arc of the assault and into hand to hand range where his claws and muscle would be effective.
 
Beyond him the Senshi were fully engaged in combat with the monsters. The original trio, Sailor Moon, Sailor Mars and Sailor Mercury teamed up to take on one creature. The blue haired water Senshi pushed the beast back with her elemental attack, using its raw kinetic energy to distract the imp where magical powers otherwise failed. Mars then moved in and struck quickly with a few well placed kicks and a sprit ward. After that Moon simply proceeded to bash the things head with her magical weapon, knocking it cold.
 
Jupiter and Venus also struck in unison, the blond lashing out with her chain and the brunette striking with her fists. The flighty former crime fighter and the powerhouse of the Senshi attacked with precision and determination, bringing the creature down in short order.
 
Neptune and Uranus did what they did best, they worked in harmony. Neptune moved with grace, her normally defensive nature pulling the creature in to be cut down by Uranus' Space Sword.
 
Pluto and the recovered Saturn were the most devastating. Their powers were not elementally based, but attuned to Time and Death itself. The power they wielded between them was great and devastating, which is why they so seldom used it. But today they unleashed a fraction of their energy at the remaining three creatures.
 
“Chrono Typhoon!”
 
The impact of the swirling sphere of energy did not send the creatures flying. Instead it tore them apart, molecule by molecule as time and space distorted around them. It was over in a heartbeat and the Senshi quickly regrouped to see how the newest addition to their team was doing.
 
Unfortunately even with his new transformation Saber Polaris was finding it extremely difficult to battle Famine. He had strength and speed to spare, but his tiger form was too large and made an easy target for the area effect blasts of lightning and fire that the dark sorceress continually sent his way.
 
He darted to one side to avoid a blast, and then jumped high to dodge lightning. Landing he flattened himself to the ground as a fireball shot over him and dashed forward to put a mailbox between him and his attacker. The obstacle absorbed one blast, but the armored cat was already moving again.
 
“You cannot win against me,” Famine shouted out over the cacophony of her attacks, “War's power magnifies my own, and that is more then enough to kill you!”
 
“Better then you have tried,” roared back Polaris as he jumped again. This time he let his body flip in mid air and impact against a nearby streetlight. Coiling his legs again he launched himself towards his enemy. Rearing back one forepaw he let his claws slide out, ready to finish this with one strike.
 
Famine spun to face his new attack, and in her hands appeared the massive sword of War. The wide blade stopped Saber Polaris' attack and in that instant she raided her gold gauntlet once more and released another eldritch spell. The blast instantly arced into the great tiger sending lightning up and down his body as he let out a screaming roar and was blasted away.
 
Landing in a boneless heap, Polaris shifted under his scorched armor, unable to feel his limbs as his body fought against the spell.
 
Jupiter ran to where the white tiger had fallen with the other Senshi only seconds behind her.
 
Pluto called out, “Everyone, get into a defensive formation! Saturn, help Jupiter!” The small girl nodded and came to a halt where the brunette had fallen to her knees, her hands on the side of Saber Polaris' body.
 
“Ranma,” Jupiter whispered, “are you all right?”
 
The tiger groaned and muttered through pointed teeth, “Damn stupid big fuzzy cat body. I have no idea what I'm doing with it. Can't jump or run for crap. Can't use any of my martial arts. I haven't had any time to get used to it yet.”
 
Saturn blinked and thought about the whirlwind of power the giant cat had shown and asked softly, “You weren't at full power?”
 
“No, I'm at about quarter strength. Once I get used to this body I'll really be able to cut loose.” The big cat worked his way to his feet and stood unsteadily before the two girls. “Too bad we don't have time for that. I'll just have to make due. I can't let her win.”
 
“But if you haven't learned how to use your body yet then you haven't figured out how your powers work in it either,” Jupiter said as she stood and rested one gloved hand on top of the tiger's head. “Maybe charging head first isn't a good idea against this enemy.”
 
Saber Polaris growled low, his eyes narrowing as he saw the Senshi stand between him and Famine. The sorceress was calmly regarding the line before her, War's claymore held in a one hand grip while power played over her gauntlet.
 
“It's just like last time,” Mars said, “she's twice as strong, but she's still just toying with us. It's like she doesn't even care.”
 
Pluto nodded, “Hunger rarely cares about what it eats, only that it does eat. War lived for battle, and now this one lives to consume. But there is intelligence behind that hunger, and like a beast it toys with its food.”
 
Sailor Moon shook her head, “How sad. I feel sorry for her. Knowing only that hunger, she must be in pain.”
 
Across the way Famine barked with laughter, “Pity those who are fated to suffer. I chose to forsake humanity. Before the darkness consumed me, I swore I would consume the light itself!”
 
“She's crazy,” Polaris said, “and believe me, I know crazy. This big cat thing isn't going to work until I get some practice in, so…” There was a pulse of light and a sphere surrounded the armored form of Saber Polaris. When the light dissipated Ranma stood tall, his silk shirt and ponytail blowing in the wind of the dissipating magic. “I'd say it's time to do this the old fashioned way.”
 
Jupiter held up her hand, “Hold on there Tiger, I've got an idea. Your male side has one Star Seed, why not try the one your female side has?”
 
Ranma sighed and shrugged, “What the hell. Hey, Neptune, think you can hit me again with that little water blast?”
 
Curious to see his redheaded alter ego again, Sailor Neptune nodded and flicked a marble sized Deep Submerge at the boy. The change was instant, and as the redhead girl gathered her belt up around her Jupiter took in the new form for the first time.
 
Short and cute with elfin features at about Sailor Moon's height, Ranma's girl form was similar to what she remembered of her past life. Jupiter had to hide a small smile at Ranma's bust line, an equal to her own, that made the girl look like a young centerfold.
 
Ranma nodded in satisfaction and looked up at the now taller brunette, “Ok, let's give this a spin.” As she crossed her arms over her chest there was a flash of light and the metal bracelets were once more in place, Ranma touched the two of them together and called out.
 
“Polaris Star Power…MAKE UP!”
 
Pale light bathed her form as an explosion of energy fired up from the ground, tearing away her clothing. A skin tight white leotard formed on her body as long gloves and boots wrapped around her limbs. A bolt of power ran through her and metal plates formed on her forearms and shins covering from wrist to elbow and ankle to knee. Another bolt passed and plates appeared at her hips and over her shoulders, protecting the joints. Another bolt and a metal breastplate formed on her upper torso, guarding her chest. A final pulse of power and simple ruby studs were placed on her ears, a white collar formed around her neck, and a circlet formed on her brow with an inlaid blue circle with a line through it. Her eyes opened and the red swept out of her hair, leaving a stark white as she touched back down on the ground, legs in a wide stance, fists at her hips, and a confident smirk on her lips.
 
**********
 
Cologne clutched at her staff, unbelieving of what she had just seen.
 
She was perched on a rooftop not far from the battle having followed Ranma's ki to this area. There was an unbelievable burst of power and the old Matriarch had come running to see a tiger in war gear attacking a group of monsters.
 
But the tiger was radiating Ranma's distinct ki patterns.
 
At first she thought that he had unlocked some new level of the dread Neko-Ken, but as the battle progressed she could tell there was deep magic at work here. It was when the battle paused, and the tiger changed into Ranma that her eyes really took in the boy's comrades.
 
The Sailor Senshi were the stuff of legend, not just in Tokyo but in the mythology of the Amazons. They were known from the beginning of Amazon history as a group of magically enhanced warrior woman from the stars. It was every young Amazon girl's dream to be one of these mystical figures.
 
And Ranma was now fighting along side them.
 
Then the boy really sent her for a loop with a quick gender change via the aid of one of the legendary warriors, and a nerve tingling blast of light and power obscured the changed boy from view.
 
When it ended and the white and copper armored form of Sailor Polaris stood tall and proud the old woman nearly had a coronary and could only gasp out.
 
“The General!”
 
Behind her two cats waited in the shadows as the old woman watched the battle.
 
“I'll keep an eye on her,” Artemis whispered to his long time partner. “She seems to recognize Sailor Polaris, we need to know how.”
 
Luna nodded, “I'll let the girls know after the fight.”
 
They separated then, Luna slipping deeper into the shadows to work her way down the fire escape they had climbed up on, while Artemis lowered himself, tail swishing back and forth, to watch this newcomer.
 
**********
 
“It really is you,” Famine said as Polaris stared her down, “and I thought War was becoming delusional. To think that the last of your race has gone through such interesting changes. What must it be like for you?”
 
Sailor Polaris wore a frown on her face. The idea that she was the last of her kind did seem to bother her, but now was not the time to think about those things. She reassured herself that she was human, no matter the abilities, and that there were millions of other humans in this city alone, and she had to protect them.
 
“You had one advantage before,” Polaris said calmly, “My size. Now I'm maybe a fifth the size I was before you'll have a harder time hitting me. Not that you were doing that good before.”
 
Famine shifted and replied, “Perhaps, but in changing to a human form you gave up the bestial strength and speed you had. You're weak now, just like the rest of the cattle.”
 
Polaris gave her trademark smirk, “I lost the raw power, sure, but just like War you don't get it. Strength isn't everything. Besides, I just lost several hundred pounds of weight, and that makes me…”
 
In a blur Polaris was gone and all that was heard was a rush of displaced air before she reappeared directly in front of Famine driving a boot heel into the sorceress' stomach, sending her flying back to land hard on the ground.
 
“…a lot faster,” Polaris finished.
 
Collectively the rest of the Senshi felt their jaws drop.
 
“She wasn't that fast back on the Moon,” Venus said in amazement.
 
Jupiter shook her head, her eyes staying glued to the white haired girl, “She wasn't raised by a sadistic, self centered, lazy bastard before. She was this time, and I guess it's made her that much better.”
 
Famine was on her feet again and let loose with a wide barrage of lightning and fire. Blasts rocked the street, but Sailor Polaris danced among them, feet barely touching the ground in a whirlwind of motion as she once more closed in on the cloaked woman.
 
As she came into range Polaris ducked, dodging a slash of War's blade as Famine clumsily attempted to take her head and was inside the mage's guard delivering a turning kick to her sword hand followed by a hard palm strike to the opposite shoulder and ending with a snap knee kick to the chest and a hard punch to the jaw.
 
Famine was knocked back again, and roared her outrage as she stood once more. She had dropped War's sword in the melee, but that didn't matter to her now as dark energy gathered in both her hands.
 
“Die!”
 
Polaris saw the attack build, but never gave it the chance.
 
“MOUKO TAKABISHA!”
 
The ball of energy streaked like a comet and impacted hard against its target. Famine was sent flying a third time and the miasma of evil power she was ready to hurl was sent harmlessly into the air.
 
Polaris was on her even before she touched the ground, unloading an uppercut that sent the sorceress into the air. Jumping high, Polaris met her again and spun into an ax kick that finished the job, sending Famine crashing into the ground.
 
Landing lightly, Polaris saw that her opponent wasn't going to rise up again any time soon and took a moment to glance back at the other Senshi. She had expected their looks of amazement, after all she had been amazing people for a while now, but there was something else that threw her off.
 
They were smiling.
 
Normally, when Ranma had pulled off an almost impossible feat he was met with amazement but also fear, anger, loathing, and of course jealousy. But these girls were instead happy. They were happy that their new friend had shown great skill, and they were even glad to have her stand with them.
 
“I could get used to this,” the white haired girl said to herself. She then pulled her attention back to her foe, quietly scolding herself for being distracted. But there was no great need for concern as Famine lay still on the ground, gasping for air and attempting to recover from the brutal assault.
 
Polaris walked over and saw that the mage's hood had fallen back, revealing a female face. It was slightly scarred along the left side, as if it was a poorly healed burn, and the woman's eyes were a softly glowing milk white, and when Polaris got a good look at the face she felt a slight sense of duality again.
 
She knew that she had never met this person before, at least not in this life. However the same feelings she had when she looked at the Sailor Senshi were also present here, and taking a moment the twice transformed girl let her past self mingle with her current.
 
When the memories tied to this woman hit her Polaris stumbled back with a gasp.
 
“I know you!”
 
The other Senshi were quick to join her, surrounding the downed sorceress and still cautious, but also checking on their new comrade.
 
Venus asked, “What is it, Polly?”
 
Sailor Polaris glared lightly at the blond, still hating that nickname, and then looked back down at Famine, “You're Ghost, aren't you? I thought you were dead. I thought we lost you when the magma flooded Verdin City.”
 
“Verdin City,” Uranus muttered, “I don't remember that from the Moon.”
 
“It wasn't on the Moon,” Jupiter asked, “was it? It's an old Polarian name. She's from your home world.”
 
Famine weakly laughed as the others took this in, “Polaris…a waste. Those people should have been cleansed from the universe. Instead they were sheltered by another dying race. Once the Master is finished you will both be extinct.”
 
Sailor Moon's eyes went wide at the venom in the sorceress' voice, “How can you say such things? What did we ever do to you to make you hate us so much?”
 
“You exist,” Famine answered as she worked her way to her feet. The Senshi backed up save for Polaris, Jupiter and Moon. “The Light is a blemish upon the universe, and the Master will see it put out once and for all. AND DARKNES WILL RULE!”
 
With her shout Famine drove her gilded hand forward, a black charge forming on its surface as she reached out towards Sailor Polaris for a killing blow. Polaris was still stunned by the revelation of her lost comrade being the enemy and was late in putting up a defense. But before she knew it Sailor Jupiter's tall form was in front of her.
 
The brunette was right next to her white haired friend when the attack came, and had simply turned inwards, placing her back between the albino and the sorceress. She felt the blaze of dark power as it hit her spine and let out a long scream at it tore through her armor.
 
Sailor Moon heard this scream and in mid motion transformed into her Eternal Sailor Moon state and released a blast of pure energy at point blank range into Famine. But having delivered her lethal blow, the mage had teleported away, confident that she had taken the life of one of the defenders of love and justice.
 
“NO!”
 
Polaris screamed out as Jupiter's eyes rolled back the lightning warrior slumped forward into the smaller girl's arms. Polaris looked down, here eyes filled with terror, and took in the damage to Jupiter's back. The skin was black and burnt, and smoke still curled up from the darkened and torn edges of her uniform.
 
“No, no, no, not again,” she muttered out in growing panic, “Don't die, not like this. Don't die in my arms like this. Please, please, I just found you, don't leave me. Not like Akane…”
 
An agonized wail echoed over all Juuban, “DON”T DIE!”
 
 
To be continued…
 
 
Endnote: I am an evil little turd, ain't I? Next time the fallout of the battle rocks Juuban and Nerima, and friend's new and old gather to battle each other. Will Makoto survive? Will Ranma recover? Will Penfold defeat Mad Manuel the Flamenco Assassin? Wait, what? Oh, wrong show…um...Until next time, eat all your vegetables because I sure don't want them.