Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Betrayal ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I couldn't believe what I had just heard. I reached out and grabbed Crow by the arm, forcing her to stand up and meet me at eye level.

"What was that you just said?" I demanded.

"About what?" Crow asked angrily, avoiding eye contact with me.

"About Taylor... that he wasn't really killed?"

"I believe I said something like that, yes," Crow answered, pulling her arm away from me.

"But I saw you take him away," I stammered out. " I heard the clash, and then the screaming..."

"Yes, he was quite good at that, wasn't he?" Crow asked. "I don't think I could have put up a better act myself."

"An act?" I whispered, as if I dared to believe in hope again. "The whole thing was an act? Taylor's... still alive?"

Crow sighed. "I made a promise to you. That if you gave up your Star Seed to Galaxia, your knight would be safe. And I kept that promise." After a bit of a pause she added coldly, "Not that you care."

"I didn't realize," I said, looking humiliatingly down at the floor. "I thought for sure that you had killed him. But that doesn't make up for what you did to Neptune."

"I do what I have to in order to survive," Crow said. "If I didn't show Galaxia results, I was going to be killed. No one wants any victims, but when things are like this... what choice do we have?"

No one wants any victims. How hauntingly familiar those words were to me. I had recited them to myself a countless number of times, trying to free my soul of that burden of guilt I felt. When Neptune and I were searching for the holders of the talismans. And when Pluto joined us in our quest to seal away Sailor Saturn. It was always about sacrifices then. For the good of the whole, someone had to die. But no one wants any victims. I never thought I would have my own philosophy shoved so abruptly in my face.

"I'm sorry you lost your friend," Crow said quietly. "And I'm sorry that it was by my hand. She seemed... like a nice girl."

"She was," I admitted. "The best. None of the other Sailor Senshi stood beside me like Neptune did. Heck, she was the one who taught me how to be a Sailor Senshi." A few tears started forming in my eyes. There was a part of me that felt a great happiness at the thought of Taylor being alive. I wanted to believe that somehow Neptune was alive as well. I wanted both of them to come back to me. But I had been there, watching Neptune's death. I knew all too well how real it was.

"Are you going to stand there and cry about what you've lost or do you want me to tell you how you can get your knight back?" Crow asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked. Crow sat down on the side of her bed and proceeded to explain.

"You see, to make this whole thing work, I had to erase Taylor's memories of you and everything he saw. So I gave him a dose of water from the River of Lost Memories."

"River of Lost Memories?" I asked.

"It's a river hidden within the space surrounding Galaxia's homeland, guarded by Sailor Lethe. In large quantities, the water from the river can cause complete amnesia or even lead to death. But drinking it in a small amount will cause you to forget only recent events."

"So," I said quietly. "What you're telling me is that Taylor doesn't remember anything about me or the Sailor Senshi."

"Not now he doesn't," Lead Crow answered. At first I felt my heart sink. Taylor doesn't remember me. So even though I hadn't lost his life, I had still lost his love. The love that had rescued me from a deep a dark loneliness that even I was not totally aware of. But such was the hand dealt a traitor, I supposed. I didn't deserve him anyway.

"However," Crow continued. "There is a way to give him his memories back." She reached behind her and quickly tossed something at me. The object was so small and I was caught off guard that I almost dropped it. The thing was a glass vile with some sort of clear liquid inside of it. "That," Crow told me. "Is water from the River of Memories, guarded by Sailor Mnemosyne. You give that to Taylor, and he will regain all his memories of you and what happened." With that, she started to walk away. I looked at the little container in my hand.

"Crow, wait!" I called out. She paused for a moment to glance over her shoulder at me. I felt horribly guilty. I had misjudged this girl, who was really no different from me. She too had lost someone dear to her. Yet she continued to go on, without showing regret or fear. How she did it, I would never know. "About Siren..." I began.

Crow held up her hand. "Don't," she said. "What's past is past. I'm prepared to deal with consequences of my actions. I tried to use others to save myself, and that wasn't right. My only regret is that my best friend had to suffer for it." She smiled at me, a smile a genuine friendship.

"Go to your knight," she said. "And treasure every moment. Now that you know how short and precious each one really is."

I nodded and ran out, clutching the little bottle in my hands. Crow was right. It was not a time for tears; I had Taylor back now. The very thought of holding him in my arms once again made my heart race with each step I took. Treasure every moment. Funny, the whole thing sounded a lot like what Usagi would tell me to do. And I was sure it was what Michiru would tell me to do as well.

* * * * *

I ran as quickly as a could along the streets of Tokyo once more, the vile of water Crow had given me still pressed to my chest. I was dressed in my street clothes again, at least I remembered to do that. The streets lamps were just starting to come on, the sky had turned a majestic deep blue. Taylor would be home from school now. The thought of seeing his face again made the blood rush through my veins. I just kept repeating the same thing over and over to myself: This was it, I was finally going to be with Taylor again. After everything that had happened. It was enough to make life worth living once more.

By the time I reached Taylor's apartment, I was quite out of breath. I first stopped by and checked his mailbox where he always kept the spare key. I still knew the combination by heart. Key in hand, I nervously climbed the single flight of stairs to his room. I knew he wouldn't recognize me at first with his memory erased. So how I was going to explain my being there in his home was a challenging question in and of itself. Never mind the fact that I somehow had to get him to drink the water from the River of Memories I had brought with me. But details were unimportant now. Somehow or another, I would find a way.

I slipped the key into the lock and pushed on the door gently as I could. The hinges groaned as the door swung open, as if to announce my presence to Taylor and everyone else living on his floor. Surprisingly though, as I stepped inside, I saw that no one was coming. Didn't Taylor hear the door open? Cautiously, I shut it behind me and made my way into the living room. This place was so familiar to me, like it was only a few hours since Taylor and I had last met here. The floor was cluttered with schoolbooks and sports magazines, and a plate of cheese and crackers sat on the table. More likely leftovers from two or three days ago than from this afternoon. Typical guy. Suddenly I froze. I thought I heard someone moving. Where was it coming from? I peered ahead of me to see the movement had come from the couch. A light snoring could be heard, muffled against the pillow. Taylor was fast asleep.

I smiled as I approached the couch where he was resting. My eyes must have lit up like those of a child of Christmas morning. Just seeing his beautiful face again! I thought of pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. But no. Here he was. In front of me. At last we would be together again. Quickly, I undid the cork on the glass vile and took the water into my mouth. I gently leaned over Taylor's body; I could feel the warmth from his skin and his gentle breathing against my cheek. There was no going back. I pushed my face forward, pressing my lips against his.

The moment our lips touched, Taylor was startled awake. I can't say I blamed him. It must have been a complete shock to find that a total stranger was not only in his home, but was now kissing with all the fire and passion she had in her soul. But I would not let go. I touched Taylor's cheeks, holding his face firmly between my hands. The water from the River of Memories flowed from my mouth into his. He caught his breath for just a moment while the water found its way down his throat.

"Please let this work," I silently prayed. And then I released him. Taylor say up slowly, rubbing his head. He looked groggy and confused, like he didn't know quite where he was. His eyes were locked on me, staring long and deep. Was he reading into my thoughts? I couldn't stand it. All I wanted was to lunge forward and grasp him in my arms with every drop of strength I had. But I couldn't do anything until I knew for sure if the River of Memories water had worked.

"Haruka?" he whispered.

"Taylor!" I cried. I jumped onto the couch and grabbed his body, hugging as hard I could.

"I missed you! I missed you so much!" I cried. The tears started to fall uncontrollably. I guess Taylor was a bit taken back, but he seemed to understand. He put a gentle arm around, caressing my shoulder.

"It's okay, Haruka," he said. "Calm down, it's okay." I nodded, but of course I kept right on crying. I couldn't help it. I had waited for this moment for so long. Every day since Taylor was gone, my very being longed for nothing but to see him again. I would have given up everything just for a single glance, to know he was okay. To tell him how much I loved him. And now here I was somehow blessed with this privilege of holding him in my arms once again. There was no way I was ever going to let go.

"I'm sorry, Taylor," I said. "Please forgive me. You were almost killed because of me."

"I was almost killed because of Galaxia," Taylor answered. "Don't ever confuse that. You did everything in your power to try and save me, even laying down your life to protect mine."

"No good came of anything I did," I said, burying my tear-strained eyes in his warm embrace. "I'm so foolish! I can't believe I gave myself over to the enemy. And now Michiru..." I stopped myself short. That's right. Taylor didn't know about Michiru. And I wasn't about to tell him.

"What about Michiru?" Taylor asked. I pulled away from his arms.

"Nothing," I said. "It's nothing."

"She was attacked by the enemy, wasn't she?" Taylor asked. I gasped. How was it he was able to read me so easily? Was I that obvious? I couldn't answer him. I only nodded, trying to hold back from weeping for Michiru all over again.

"I thought so," said Taylor quietly. "It's written in your face. But Haruka, you can't blame yourself for anything that happened to Michiru..."

"Don't talk like you know what happened!" I yelled, my emotions exploding within me. "It's my fault! I'm to blame for Michiru's death! I led the enemy right to her!" Taylor reached out his arms and held me. I tried to push me away. I didn't want anyone to touch me.

"Let me go!" I said.

"There's no way," Taylor answered. "Haruka, there's no way I'll ever let you go again. I almost lost you. You're everything to me. Don't you know that?"

"Taylor..." I whispered. After everything I'd done, why was it he still had so much trust and love in his heart for me? Despite what I had become? It didn't make any sense. "I'm not worth it, Taylor," I said.

"You'll always be worth it," he said. "Pain, torture, even death. You would always be worth it to me." He leaned over and kissed my wet cheek. "I love you," he said.

"I love you too," I answered. "Always." Once again, our lips met. My body surged with this wondrous energy, this beautiful power called passion. I loved him. I loved him with everything in my being. Yes, life was indeed worth living again.