Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Russian Roulette ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Russian Roulette by Katrina Kadabra

Summary: Haruka and Michiru are forced into a trap by Chaos that will allow one to live, but only if the other dies. Of course, the one who dies will eventually be reborn. But when and at what cost?

Author's Note/Disclaimer: This is a new fanfic I have finished up until about chapter 10. It was originally supposed to end after chapter 3, but I got a bit carried away. ^_^;; Anyways, I'll still be working on it some more, but please be patient with me if I don't update right away when I get to the parts I don't have written yet. Thanks & enjoy! As always, reviews are much appreciated, and BTW I do NOT own Sailor Moon. This is just a fanfic.

--------------------------------
Chapter 1

"What's the matter, Neptune? Move it!" Sailor Uranus demanded as she glanced back at her companion, who only seemed to be getting further and further behind her. Now she stopped completely, but just for a moment to catch her breath.

"What wrong with you?" she demanded of Uranus.

"What do you mean?" Uranus asked. "Our prince and princess are just at the top of this tower. We're within rescuing them." Neptune turned her face away.

"Are you that apathetic?" she asked. "We just saw Pluto, Saturn, and all of the inner senshi killed right before our eyes. Don't you even have a tear for them?" At the mention of the day's earlier events, Neptune's body began to shake. She still didn't want to believe any of it. Earlier that day, Sailor Chaos had captured Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask and imprisoned them at the top of this awful tower. If, she said, any of the senshi could reach her, she would release the prince and princess without harming them. Unfortunately, the tower was full of many deadly levels, not one of which had the senshi passed through without somebody being sacrificed. And now, just before the top of the tower with the goal in sight, only Uranus and Neptune remained.

"Neptune," said Uranus quietly. "Just think that just because I'm not showing emotions doesn't mean I don't have them. But those girls sacrificed their lives just so we could make it this far. I won't dishonor them with meaningless delays."

Upon hearing Uranus' words, Neptune quickly brushed her arm across her eyes. "You're right," she said. "We said we'd sacrifice everything for our prince and princess. We can't stop now."

With that, the two companions ran forward, not knowing what lay ahead but holding confident that they would be victorious. As the last of the steps disappeared behind them, Uranus and Neptune suddenly found themselves in a dimly lit room with only themselves on one end and Chaos on the other.

"Welcome, Sailor Senshi," she said in a cold voice. "And congratulations, I really didn't think any of you would make it here. At least not alive." She stood to the side to reveal Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Moon, unconscious and chained to the wall behind her. Both Neptune and Uranus' hearts ached at the sight.

"So we're here," Neptune said. "Keep your promise. Release our prince and princess."

"Not quite yet," said Chaos. "I have one more challenge for the two of you."

In that moment, Uranus' eyes were caught ablaze with anger. "No!" she said. "The deal was if any of us made it here, you would release them."

"Oh, calm down," said Chaos. "This isn't to see if I'll release your prince and princess or not. You made it here, so they are safe. I just could use a little more entertainment before I let them go." That did it.

"So this is entertaining to you?" Uranus screamed, charging forward, seeing only images of her companions falling one by one. She would not let Chaos get away with it. But no sooner did Uranus run forward, she was promptly thrown backwards by some sort of unseen force, as if she had collided directly with an invisible wall. The sky senshi fell to the ground with a grunt.

"Uranus, are you okay?" Neptune asked, hurrying to her friend's side.

"I'm fine," Uranus replied, spitting a drop of blood from her lips. "But it looks like we're trapped."

"Very good observation," said Chaos. "I've ensnared the two you inside an unbreakable force field. Furthermore, I've disabled your planetary powers. In other words, escape is out of the question." She sneered evilly at Uranus and Neptune as a cat would that had cornered a mouse. She loved teasing her prey. "Do you accept my challenge now?"

"Do we have a choice?" Uranus asked sarcastically.

"Give us your worst," said Neptune. At this, Chaos let a small laugh and snapped her fingers, causing something that looked like a remote control to appear in Neptune's hand. In the same moment, an identical item appeared in Uranus' hand and around both their necks, a kind of metal chocker with a bulb containing a pink liquid attached to the back.

"Here's the deal," said Chaos. "The devices around your necks are both loaded with a lethal poison that, upon being injected, will stop the victim's heart within a minute. The remotes in your hands are both set to control the other's device, by pressing the center button. Upon activating the other's device, the one around your own neck will be released. However, if neither device is activated in five minutes, they will both go off. Either way, however, your prince and princess are safe." She gave one last laugh before she said, "Your time begins now."