Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Sailor Moon Legend of Zelda ❯ One Strike and You're out! ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER NINE
 
 
Sammy was in the yard with his dad, Kenji, practicing for his upcoming softball match at school, and Sammy really wanted to win too and had been practicing endlessly for the past few weeks, but really didn't think he stood too much a chance.
 
He had trouble batting, throwing and catching. In fact, the only thing he seemed to do well was run around the bases, but that skill would be pretty useless if he never even hit the ball.
 
“Okay, kido… here it comes.” said Kenji, and he pitched the ball gently towards Sammy, who missed it by a long shot, and that was his third strike.
 
“Awe, Man…” he moaned as he threw the bat angrily at the ground. “It's hopeless.”
 
Kenji walked over to his son, “Now, come on there, son. That's not showing good sportsmanship.”
 
Sammy just snuffed hard and kick some dirt away from him. “Dad… I don't think being a good sport can help me this time.” He said.
 
His father dropped the ball. “Whoa-ho-ho there, kid. Being a good sport and having fun is what sports and games are all about.”
 
In was in vain that Kenji's lecture about having fun, and being a good sport and all that stuff didn't get through to Sammy.
 
“But dad, you don't know the kids were playing against, they are mean.” He said. “You should've heard what they said today.”
 
“Hey Sammy… how does it feel having the blood of a loser running in your genes.”
 
Kenji went all red. “Wh-- what… did… they.. say!!” he puffed.
 
And just then one of his rivals from work, who unlikely happened to be passing by with his son, a player on the other team.
 
“Hey… how does it feel to be related to a complete sucker?” the man asked.
 
Kenji walked right up to Sammy and called back up the street. “Hey, it's not his fault.”
 
The other man sniggered. “I was talking to your kid… and I know it's not his fault.” Kenji just got completely burned off, and he almost wet nuts with his fists flying.
 
“Hey… Come back here and say that again!!” he yelled up the street. Sammy held onto his legs keeping him from running up the street like a madman.
 
Ikuko poked her head at the kitchen window and sighed. “Gee, I wonder if at past life he was a military soldier with a bad ego.” She said to herself.
 
Meanwhile, in Ganon's Castle
 
Volvagia was speaking to Ganondorf about his plan to gather energy so Ganon could increase his power.
 
“You see, Master… Phantom Ganon failed you because he tried to gather energy from too many people at once.” Said Volvagia. “His methods were far too obvious.”
 
“Oh… and I suppose you have a much more successful plan?” asked Ganondorf.
 
“As a mater of fact, I do.” replied Volvagia. “As master of the Fire itself, I can call upon its power to help me seek out individuals who are admitting powerful energy waves.”
 
“If I can successfully tap into their minds so that they may focus on their strongest activities… then without even realizing it, their energy will soon be transferred to us.”
 
“Once enough of it is harnessed my minions shall emerge and tear down the Hero of time should he and his Sailor Scout friends interfere.”
 
“Ha, ha, ha, ha… Oh, please! You couldn't even beat the Hero of Time if he was blindfolded and handcuffed.” Called a voice.
 
Volvagia turned and saw a huge tentacle made of water squiggle its way thought the floor, with a glowing Nucleus in it's center, which was really doing the talking.
 
“GRR… Morpha!” growled Volvagia. “Who are you to butt in and tell me if my plan will work or not?!”
 
“Hmm, mm, mm… I'm not really.” Said Morpha, “But I was sure by know you'd realize that if the boy crushed once before, what makes you thin you can get him now?”
 
“GRR… BACK OFF!!”
 
Volvagia being Fire, and Morpha being Water, were both the kind of rivals you'd expect to always get themselves into a dog fight.
 
“Down, boys! Down!” said Ganondorf. “You may proceed with you plan, Volvagia. I'd very much like to see it in action myself.”
 
Volvagia turned and bowed. “Thank you, My-Lord… I will not disappoint you.”
 
In Volvagia's hideout
 
Lava was boiling softly, and the fire embers were burring brightly as Volvagia bowed his head before it and held his arms together. “Fire knows everything.” He said to himself. “Please, help me to locate a victim with the energy I seek.”
 
At his words, the embers of the fire began going crazy and produce an image of Sammy still practicing with his father.
 
“Ah yes… this young lad is already deliver loads of energy as he practices for his big ball game coming up.”
 
Volvagia then looked away from the fire, “But if I am to get close enough o make contact with him, I shall need a disguise so complete… no one would ever suspect me.”
 
He bathed himself under a flowing Lava-fall which magically changed his Dragon shape to a young Softball coach. “Perfect… This will do just fine.” He thought to himself.
 
“Look out Sammy… Your energy will soon be mine. Hmm, mm ,mm… Hmm, mm, ah, ah… Ooh, hu, hu, hu, hu ah, ah, ah, ah!!”
 
Meanwhile, at Karaoke Café
 
Serena served the customers their coffees, and when they gave her a tip for herself she hardly even looked at them or said so much as a thank you.
 
Lita and Mina were even exchanging comments about her behaviour. “When was the last time you ever saw Serena act so down before?” asked Lita.
 
Mina nodded in agreement.
 
“Hey come on you guys.” said Luna, “Serena's just concerned about Sammy and how much he's been practicing for his softball game next week.”
 
Amy came into the kitchen with an empty tray. “Yes… I've heard that Sammy's really been going hard at it. He really wants to win.”
 
“I've been there before…” said Darien. “Back in grade-school I always loved winning, even if there was no prize held out at the end. I always used to make such a fuss when I lost.”
 
Everyone shared a soft sigh.
 
 
At our coffee/tea break by closing time, Serena would have by now gulped down at least three slices of leftover cake, but she hadn't even finished her first one halfway yet.
 
But at least she was talking… and telling us why Sammy was so determined to win. “Ah, another area where honor is insulted.” said Link.
 
“Yeah, I mean I wouldn't blame Sammy for wanting t o win now.” added Artimus. “But still… that doesn't mean he shouldn't just go out there an have fun.”
 
Serena still wasn't so sure of that. “It's not that I don't think Sammy can win… it's just the way he's practicing… you'd think he thinks that winning is the most important thing in the world.”
 
“Well it isn't…” said Link. “Sammy will realize one day that winning at sports isn't the most important thing, but in fact having fun playing the GAME bit of it.”
 
Everyone nodded.
 
On other topics they had other things to worry about. Now that Phantom Ganon was gone, and the Forest Medallion secured, they still had to search for the remaining four Temples.
 
Keeping in mind that the monsters they face would now be much stronger than before.
 
Meanwhile
 
It was getting darker outside, and Sammy was still practicing on his batting. Throwing the ball up into the air and trying to whack it… but still he struck himself out more than seven times.
 
He slumped down on the ground again and grunted. “Oh, man… It's just no use.” He sighed to himself.
 
“Sammy, Dinner's almost ready.” Ikuko called form the kitchen.
 
“I'll be right in mom.” Sammy answered, but then he was remembering the words his Dad told him that day.
 
“Remember son, Practice makes perfect.”
 
Sammy just snorted at that thought. “Practice makes perfect? What, a joke!” he kicked the baseball out towards the sidewalk where a young-man passing along the way stopped it with his foot.
 
“Hmm, so you play softball?” he asked Sammy. “I'll bet you can bat this ball miles away.”
 
Sammy stood up. “Ha, are you kidding? I couldn't even belt a beach-ball with this useless thing.” He said holding out his bat.
 
The man, who was really Volvagia in disguise, looked at the bat closely. “Let me see that bat, maybe I can help.” He said.
 
He grabbed the bat for moment, and in secret, “I infuse this bat with the power of the Fire to aid my victim and gather his energy.” The fire symbol appeared on the end of the bat and he gave it back to Sammy.
 
“Here, just hold the bat any way you'd like and I'll pitch a ball at you.” He said.
 
Sammy looked confused. “Alright, but I'm telling you I'm not that good.” He said as he took his stand.
 
Volvagia wound up back and pitched the ball as hard as he could, sending it right towards Sammy like a missile. Sammy yipped and swung the bat forward… he hit the ball and actually sent it flying pretty high and far away.
 
As if he almost sent it into orbit. “Wow… did I really do that?” he asked. “Gee, thanks a lot, Mister.”
 
Volvagia bowed to Sammy. “My name's Vega Volcan… I coach softball during the summer days.” He said. “You'll do just fine kid. Just walk up to the plate and hit a home-run.”
 
“Hmm, mm… and send your energy to serve the mighty Ganondorf.” He said in his mind, and with that he left. Leaving Sammy with newfound confidence to keep practicing.
 
The Next Day
 
Serena, Lita and May met at the front of the school, so they could walk to work together.. Amy got a 100-mark on the open-book essay they had, even though she did it with her book closed. That was to be expected.
 
Lita got and 85… not quite as high as Amy's, but still a great score, and Serena, well she just barely passed with a 60. A pass, but still not a good mark.
 
“Ooh… this is still such a tragedy.” She moaned. “Well at least I passed the test so, mom may not kill me.”
 
“No… but Master might Kill us all for sure if we're late for work.” Said Lita.
 
“Yes... we should get going. I have a lot of studying to do tonight, and I really don't want to have to work late.” added Amy. Serena and Lita sweat-dropped and wondered if Amy ever had anything else on her brain that wasn't school or work related.
 
They passed by the ballpark on the way to the café and saw Sammy's Softball team. The kids sure seemed tired, but Sammy was still going at it.
 
He was batting the balls so far away that they were irretrievable. He was throwing them so hard and fast that nobody could hit or catch the balls.
 
“Sammy?” Serena said not able to believe that that was her brother out there.
 
But Sammy turned to face her, with a mean expression in his eyes. “Don't you and your friends have other things to do, Brainiack!” he growled at her.
 
Well that was proof enough that it was Sammy, and so the girls decided to leave, but that sure was an unusual behaviour for Sammy.
 
Later on
 
Sammy was staying overtime at the ball field, when teenagers were trying to force him out. He readied himself with a ball.
 
“Ah, ha, ha… the little runt's going to pitch one at me.” The leader said. “Kid, you have never seen me catch before.”
 
He positioned himself to catch any pitch Sammy would toss at him. “Hmm, mm, mm!” Sammy took a mighty big swing and really threw it HARD!!
 
BAM!! Right in the dude's hand, he caught it, and boy he got it good. The palm of his hand was all red and burning. “YEOW… that smarts!!”
 
“Heh, heh, heh! Who's the runt now?” Sammy mocked with a sinister look on his face. Then he picked up his bat and playfully swatted his hand with it like a crop. “Now get out of here! I got a game to practice for!!”
 
The boys walked over to the big basket of baseballs. “Oh yeah… practice with these, SQUIRT!!” and they began pitching so many of them at once, but Sammy was able to bat them all out of his way, and some even nearly hit the boys.
 
“Hey! Let's get out of here! This kid's not for real!!” and they all ran off scared to the teeth.
 
“Hmm, mm, mm!! And I'm just getting warmed up.” Sammy said. Volvagia's fire symbol on the bat glowed brightly, meaning Sammy's energy was rising fast.
 
 
A Few days later
 
Link was at the Temple of Time sweeping the massive floors. Well it as Link's only home on Earth, and he had to try and keep it clean.
 
“So you're saying, Sammy's been getting worse?” he asked.
 
Serena nodded. “I asked him last night if he was ready I'd walk him home,, but he said was…”
 
“Leave me alone, I'm busy practicing!”
 
Every single day, Sammy seemed to be getting meaner and meaner. He wouldn't go home from the park until really late, he came home but didn't go into the house.
 
He just kept practicing outdoors, and he would only go in if dinner was ready, or his mother insisted he go to bed. He was even starting to fall behind in his homework.
 
“When I passed him in the park today, do you know what he was doing?” asked Mina. “He was playing a game with teenagers, and he completely overpowered them.”
 
“I saw it too…” added Rei. “Even when the other players wanted to leave, Sammy just kept on insisting for another game, and he showed no mercy.”
 
Luna and Artimus were beginning to think that maybe there was more to this than met the eye. “Maybe we should all confront Sammy, and tell him to take it easy.” Luna suggested. “Young boys should having fun with sports, not pushing themselves too far.”
 
Link agreed, and they were off to the park.
 
 
By sunset they arrived and found a lot of ball-players freaked out of their skulls. “That… That kid… he's a killer!!” they whimpered.
 
They all looked into the field and saw Sammy pitch and belt the balls so hard. It was no wonder the players all ran away.
 
“Okay dude… fun playing with you, but I think I got to go.”
 
Sammy walked over and picked up his bat. “Just one more game…” he sniggered, “You can handle it. Hmm, mm, mm.”
 
But this was too much. “SAMMY!!” Link called, and he and the others all stepped in front of his way.
 
“Sammy come on. What's wrong with you?” asked Serena.
 
Sammy's eyes flared with anger. “Get out of here!!” he roared.
 
“Sammy, come on little guy.” Said Darien, “This bad behaviour of yours has to stop!”
 
“I said… GET OUT!!”
 
One by one all the girls tried to talk some sense into Sammy. “LAST WARNING!!” he screamed, but they still didn't give in.
 
“Sammy! We mean it!” growled Link. “Just let us help you.”
 
By now, Sammy was literally flaring in fire. “OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! YOU ASKED FOR IT!!” Sammy swung around and held his bat out sending a HUGE supersonic wave towards them.
 
They dodged it, and the blast really damages the benches. “Sammy!!” cried Serena. Obviously he wasn't responsible for his actions. They had to get him away from that bat.
 
“I'm sorry Serena. I hate to do this…” said Lita, “But there's no other way!” she rolled back out into the field.
 
“YOU!!” Sammy fired another shot and missed.
 
Lit rolled and leapt up. “TIME FOR A PENALTY KICK!!” she roared and kicked the bat right out of Sammy's hand.
 
“AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH… YOU'LL PAY FO THAT!!!”
 
Meanwhile, in Volvagia's lair
 
The fires were going crazier than ever. “Yes, finally…” he chuckled. “His energy ha reach it's peak… GO GET HIM DODONGO!!”
 
 
Sammy tried to pick up his bat, but the moment he laid his hand upon it, it began glowing madly and knocked him unconscious.
 
“Look!!” cried Link.
 
The Fire Symbol on the bat began blasting out huge smoke screens, and there appeared a infernal Dino-creature Link recognized as a Dodongo.
 
“Ahh… Let the games begin!” Dodongo growled. And began breathing fire out from his mouth which everyone was barley able to evade.
 
Link looked around, and saw no one was watching and Sammy was still out cold. “Everyone… Do it Now!” he called, and everyone nodded.
 
“SAILOR SAGE POWER!!”
 
“POWER CHANGE!!”
 
“ECTO PHASE, ACTIVATE!!”
 
They all stood side-by-side, and Link held his sword up high. “Guardians of the Earth, united we stand.” He cried out. “Prepare to feel out wrath!”
 
The Dodongo turned and sniggered. “Heh, heh… Well it looks like the bases are loaded toady sluggers, Who's up first?”
 
Everyone scattered. “Here Dino-breath… take this!” shouted Venus.
 
“VENUS CRESENT BEAM… SMASH!!”
 
The beam flew straight at the Dodongo, but he just spun around and batted it right back with his huge tail. “Whoa… Strike one, Venus! Heh, heh, ah, ah, ah!”
 
“Now it's my turn. Here comes the pitch…” and he blasted out loads of fireballs. BOOM!! BANG!! POW!! The small explosions were enough to knock everyone off their feet. Even Link's shield wasn't enough to block an attack that strong.
 
“Ha, ha, ha, ha… Home Run, and going for the grand slam!” and Dodongo fired more fireballs, but this time Mercury was ready.
 
“MERCURY ICE BUBBLES… FREEZE!!”
 
Her frosty bubbles froze the balls in their path causing them to drop and shatter. “That's strike one for you!” she mocked.
 
“GRR… Rotten Spoil-sport!”
 
Mercury then turned on her VR-Visor to try and scan for a weak spot. “Yes, I see it… it's right there in his tail. We have to get his tail and he'll be powerless!”
 
“Not going to happen!” growled Dodongo, and he began whirling around like a cyclone, and coming at them all with incredible speed.
 
Tuxedo mask leapt up into the air and tried his Deku nuts, but they didn't work. “It's no use, he's moving way too fast!” he cried.
 
Jupiter tried her Thunder-Attack, but Dodongo's scales were as hard as rock, making him completely immune to electrical attacks.
 
“It's no use…” cried Jupiter, “We've got to get him to hold still!”
 
Venus and Mars and Moon suddenly had an idea. “Quick let's do it!” cried Sailor Moon.
 
Venus went up first. “SPIRIT… SAND-STOM… WAVE!!” and she fired up a huge sand storm around Dodongo who stopped spinning and looked around in confusion.
 
“This dust… I can't see a thing!” he began shooting his fireballs blindly at the sand.
 
“That's Strike two.” Mars called from above. “Now take a penalty shot!” and she stuck a big charm smack on his face.
 
“YARGH… Hey… I can't move!!”
 
“And here comes the pitch!” called Sailor Moon. “MOON TIARA… MAGIC!!” and she sliced Dodongo's tail right off.
 
“Whoa!! My tai! My Tail! Ohhhhhh!!!”
 
“Three strikes and your out! Time for the Grand-slam” called Link. He pulled out his sword and it began glowing. “SACRED… MASTER SWORD… ATTACK!!”
 
SLASH!!
 
“GAAAAAAAAGGGGRRRH… BEAN BALL… FOUL!!!” and Dodongo exploded like a bomb, causing the fire Symbol on Sammy's bat to fade. He was going to be alright.
 
Meanwhile, in Volvagia's lair
 
The Fire flares suddenly went down.
 
“What's happening?” Volvagia growled, “The fire is going out!”
 
“Ha, ha, ha, ha! Looks like Hero of Time and the Scouts have turned your fireproof plan into ash, Volvagia.” called Morpha's voice, “Now you're starting to go the way just like Phantom Ganon was.”
 
“GRR… I may have lost this round, Morpha, but I shall gather my strength and strike again. Replied Volvagia, “They haven't heard the last of me!”
 
 
A few days later
 
The whole gang was watching Sammy's Big game. The other team was ahead by 3 points. Bases were loaded, Sammy was up last to bat before the end.
 
Sammy just needed one good hit for the Grand Slam to win the game, but now that Sammy was no longer under Volvagia's spell and back to his old self, this wasn't going to be easy.
 
“Come on Sammy, you can do it!” Serena mumbled to herself.
 
Sammy stood up to the plate. “Come on Sport, hit one for the team.” Called his dad.
 
“STRIKE ONE!!”
 
“BALL!!”
 
“STRIKE TWO!!”
 
The tension was really mounting now. this was it. Either Win… Lose… or Lose horribly. “I can do this… I can do this.” Sammy mumbled to himself.
 
The pitcher readied himself. “Is the little whiner ready?” he mocked.
 
“You're kids toast, Kenji.” His father added in the crowds. Kenji just ignored him.
 
The pitcher wound up back… threw the ball forward…
 
Sammy waited… waited… took his swing and… POW!! Right out of the park.
 
“HOME RUN… GRAND SLAM… SAMMY'S TEAM WINS 10 to 9!!”
 
The crowd went wild, and it was the other team who acted like sore losers while Sammy's team got to insult them right back.
 
Sammy's family were very proud of him. “You did it son… You did it!!” cried Kenji. “Oh yeah… that's my boy!!”
 
“Awe… it was nothing.” Sammy said. The girls all lifted Sammy up in the air. “Let's here it…” cried Link. “HIP… HIP--”
 
“HORRAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!”
 
HERO AND SAILORS SAY
 
 
Link: “Sammy really wanted to win his game today, so he was practicing a lot which is what really makes perfect.”
 
Serena: “But even though he still won the game, it doesn't change the fact that winning isn't really everything, and it doesn't always make you feel better.”
 
Amy: “Some people win, and then brag about it in everybody's faces, and that's not really good sportsmanship at all.”
 
Rei: “Sometimes you may win at a game, but lose more than what you gained, like friends even.”
 
Lita: “Sports are really just really fancy games, and the one thing games were meant for is to have fun, and for people to do their best. Not to show off, and rub it in peoples faces.”
 
Mina: “Just remember that practice makes perfect, and games are just for fun. If you play it cool even if you lose, then everybody will be a winner.”
 
(Karaoke Café Song, live from the ball-parkduring a game. Sung by Darien.)
 
(Darien)
 
It's great to belt the ball a country-mile
A round the bases with a cocky smile.
Bu win or lose, if everyone had tons of fun,
Everyone's A Winner
 
It's swell to run like crazy down the track
And know your dearest rival's ten yards back
But if you both are running `cause you love to run
Then, Everyone's A Winner
 
The sun is shining brightly on the players and the stands
Everyone is happy to be here.
But if you can't enjoy yourself unless your getting hand
Why not give yourself a healthy cheer
Rah, Rah ,Rah, Rah, Rah, Rah, Rah
Hip.. Hoorah, Rah, Rah, Rah, Rah.
 
Your team's ahead and time is nearly up,
And then the others score and take the cup.
You think you're going to cry, but kid what's done is done
So why not just remember what you truly won
You really were a winner before the final gun
 
`Cause, everyone who tries..
(I got it. I got it!)
Everyone who cheers…
(Way to go Sammy)
Everyone who comes, Everyone who plays
Everyone who learns to throw in Oh so many ways.
Everyone who stands up tall, who take his glove, forgets it all.
Everyone, Everyone, Everyone, Everyone, EVERYO-O-O-ONE…
 
EVERYONE'S A WINNE-E-E-E-ER
EVERYONE'S A WINNE-E-E-E-ER
EVERYONE'S A WINNE-E-E-E-ER
Ever-- Every—Every—Every…Everyone's A Winner