Saint Seiya Fan Fiction ❯ Warped Reflection ❯ What do you mean, not OUR Shun? ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ikki groaned and rolled over, blindly groping around for that damn incessantly ringing cell phone and successfully managed to knock over his lamp before finding it. Cursing Saori for all he was worth for forcing him to carry the thing, he flipped the wretched thing open and shouted “What?!” into the receiver before bothering to check the number.

“Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed,” Seiya’s agitating voice drifted through the earpiece.

“Shut up, Seiya,” Ikki grumbled, not bothering to open his eyes as he groped his way over to the hotel room’s refrigerator to retrieve his half-empty bottle of vodka from it, “What do you want?”

“Didn’t you just tell me to shut up?”

Ikki’s eye twitched, “Damnit Seiya...”

“Okay, okay! Look, don’t get all worked up or anything, but Shun’s missing.” “WHAT?!” “Didn’t I just say not to get worked up? We think he’s-“

Seiya’s voice was drowned out by someone knocking on the room’s door. Growling for Seiya to shut up for a minute, Ikki walked over to the door to let Shun in without bothering to open his eyes. “Found him,” he muttered into the cell phone before shutting it with an snap. “You had them worried, you know,” he grumbled at Shun.

“I left a note on the mantlepiece for them,” Shun replied quietly.

Ikki cracked an eye open. Something sounded wrong about his little brother’s voice. He blearily studied the younger saint for a moment, “What’s wrong with your hair?” He was waking up now, “And your eyes?”

Shun gave him an odd look, unconsciously reaching for the small cluster of grey hair hanging in front of his ear, “Are you alright, nii-san?”

Ikki blinked and brought his hand up to tap the scar on Shun’s cheek, “And your face?”

~*~*~*~*~

“What do you mean ‘not our Shun’?” Ikki winced at the resonating calm in the voice on the other line. “This better not be some kind of demented joke, peacock, or I’ll be using your hide for a rug.” There was a sudden yelp that could only be Seiya getting forcibly removed from wherever he had been.

“You think I’d joke about something like this?” Ikki snarled, glaring acid at the phone in his hand, “You can tell our brothers by looking at them; it’s like that. He’s my little brother, he’s Shun, but he’s not OUR Shun.”

“Then where in Athena’s name is OUR Shun, oh wise and wonderful Ikki-sama?” The other line was silent for several minutes, save for the sound of Seiya shouting “Lemme go you psycho!!” at the top of his lungs. Finally, “...Bring him back to the mansion, I think I’ve got an idea, but I need to talk to the Gold Saints, Kanon is I can.”

“Kan-“ Ikki began indignantly, but he was cut off by a resonating click in his ear. He glared incredulously at the cell phone, “The runt hung up on me...”

“Nii-san?” Shun asked, poking his head into the small kitchen Ikki was currently pacing. Ikki froze and turned to face him. Nope, still not his Shun. “What’s wrong?”

Ikki studied the younger boy. Yes, it was Shun, but he looked more like the Shun he’d tried to kill so long ago, not the one who had dived into a battle with Aphrodite and her minions a few weeks ago and single-handedly defeated the goddess of love while Ikki was facing off against Poseidon with the rest of the bronze boys. He wasn’t wearing Hades’ pendant either. Oh shit.

“We’re going back to the mansion,” Ikki announced grimly, “something’s seriously wrong.”

If Shun had any misgivings about this, he did not voice them. He simply followed quietly and did whatever Ikki told him to. In reality, it was a little unnerving. The Shun he was used to would have prodded him and given him those disgusting puppy dog eyes until he cracked.

They drove the five hours back to Tokyo in silence, broken only by Ikki occasionally cursing and muttering to himself. Whatever they expected to find when they arrived at the mansion near midnight, it wasn’t the entire place alive and buzzing.

“What’s going on?” Ikki muttered as they got out, “They wouldn’t stay up just to wait for us...”

They found the remaining bronze saints gathered in the music room with a girl near their age, which struck Shun as extremely odd. They were all gathered in a circle around a large table with papers scattered across it. Shun blinked, and they all seemed to be in various states of having just been woken up.

“What’s going on?” Ikki asked from the doorway, “Don’t tell me you decided to have a party without us?”

“Attacks,” the girl waved offhandedly at them, “Every saint training center in the world in under 24 hours...” Her head shot up and bright green and red eyes darted from Ikki to Shun and back, “About time! I was starting to worry!”

“How touching,” Ikki muttered, “you finally admit you care!”

Hyoga gave a rueful snort and the girl grinned darkly, “Why the hell would I worry about a bipolar peacock with an Oedipus complex? I was worried about Shun, you’ve probably scared the poor boy half to death by now.”

Shun found the behavior of this strange, starburst-eyed girl far more frightening than anything his brother had done thus far. He was struck by the urge to cower behind Ikki, though no one else seemed fazed by her behavior. She growled and walked over to them, stopping so close to Shun that he could feel her breath. Shun took a step back.

“Ikki’s got him scared?” Hyoga muttered, “He’s petrified of you.”

“Shut up, Russian,” she replied, turning back to glare at the blonde before turning her eyes directly on Shun’s. He took another step back out of pure surprise. The green in her irises was dark and haunted but around them was red, bright and alive and reaching out in tendrils for the edges of her eyes. A hand touched Shun’s cheek and he tried to leap back in surprise, but his feet were stuck. “Calm down, Shu-chan, I’m not going to bite you. It’s me.”

Shun found himself wanting to lean in to her touch, to let himself take comfort in her presence, but he was afraid. Finally, he managed to step back, “I-I’m sorry.” He stared at her face, trying to understand what about those eyes was so terrifying, but all he could see was that consuming fire in them. “I don’t know who you are.”

As he said that, the doors burst open and Daichi came running into the room, “Ushio’s been attacked! There’s something going on at Death Queen Island!”
A brief look of shock and sorrow crossed the girl’s face before she turned to Daichi and her eyes went emotionless, “What happened?”

Daichi’s eyes were wide and frantic as he turned to the girl, “He went to Death Queen Island like you and Seiya told him to and he got attacked, said something about black saints and then the line died.”

The girl swore and wheeled around to face the saints still standing around the table, “I’m going after him.”

“Absolutely not!” Ikki shouted at the same time that Seiya began yelling and Shiryu and Hyoga said, more than a little harshly, “No.”

“Elektra, you’re going to get yourself killed,” Shiryu reasoned over Seiya’s shouting.

“May I remind you what happened last time you set foot on that hell hole?” Ikki growled.

She gave him a withering look, “No need, Phoenix, I remember all too well.” She turned to Hyoga, “Look after Shun for us till Ikki and I get back.” She smiled, “Not that I really need to tell you.”

The freezing glare she received for the comment made Shun wince in sympathy.

“Us?” Ikki repeated slowly, “Elektra...”

“You’re the only one who knows the island,” Elektra replied shortly, “We have to find Ushio and get to Sanctuary. You’re my best shot at finding him.”

“Nee-chan?” Daichi spoke up.

“No, Daichi,” Elektra hissed, “They need you here.”

“But-“

“No buts. Sho would have my head.”

Daichi glared, “If Shun were asking you-“

“Shun is also older than you and he’s seen a hell of a lot more than you have,” Elektra replied, “and this is something I wouldn’t even let him do.”

“Who the hell put you in charge anyway, Lyra?” Seiya snapped suddenly.

Elektra glared, “Stay out of this, Pegasus. He’s my little brother.”

“Mine too!”

“He’s my responsibility!”

“And you’re both mine!”

“Says who?!”

“Saori-san!”
“When have I ever listened to that pampered princess?!”

Hyoga gave an exasperated sigh and stepped between the two of them, placing one hand on Seiya’s chest and the other pressed two fingers to Elektra’s forehead, “Can the two of you save your pissing contest for after we save Ushio and get everyone to Sanctuary, please?” He turned to glare Seiya, “You need to keep an eye out for stragglers that haven’t made it to one of the havens yet,” then to Elektra, “And you,” his eyes softened slightly, “if it were me in that position you wouldn’t hesitate to let me come. No buts, Elektra,” she had just opened her mouth to retort, “besides, what kind of sister can’t protect her baby brother?”

Elektra sighed and stepped back, “Fine. He can come. Sho’s going to kill me.”

Daichi shot Hyoga a ‘Thank you’ look and ran out to collect his armor.

“If he gets in the way...” Ikki warned.

“He won’t get in the way, Ikki,” Elektra waved absently at Ikki, “You forget that he was sent away the same as the rest of us were and spent four years training under the Gold Saints themselves. He’s a tough little kid.” She turned back to Shun, “Hyoga’ll fill you in on what’s happened, including what your dear brother most likely decided not to tell you before. After we get Ushio, Ikki, Daichi, and I will head straight to Sanctuary to talk to Kanon.” Seiya gave a sound similar to an angry dog. “Shut up, Seiya, I don’t have any choice in the matter, since Saga decided to go and kill himself and they’re the only ones who have enough knowledge of other dimensions to help us.”

“Dimensions?” Ikki asked blankly.

“Time to go,” Daichi announced, “Doc’s got a plane waiting for us.”

Elektra smiled and moved towards Shun so quickly it scared him, “We’ll see you soon, Shu-chan,” she smiled and kissed him on the cheek, “Try to keep Hyoga out of trouble, and once you get to Sanctuary I would prefer you staying with Shaka, he’s the best protection I can give you since you don’t have Hades’ pendant right now.”

Ikki gave Shun a reassuring smile before turning and following Daichi and Elektra out of the room. Shun watched them go before turned to Hyoga, who was watching him with something akin to worry.

“Those eyes can be scary at times,” Hyoga mused wryly, gesturing in the vague direction of the kitchen, “Come on. I’ll explain what I can.”