Saiyuki Fan Fiction / Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction / Saiyuki Reload Fan Fiction ❯ Eastward Bound ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Eastward Bound
By: eternalsailorsolarwind AKA youkai_girl
 
Disclaimer: Saiyuki and all of its characters are owned by Minekura Kazuya, her Japanese publisher, and Tokyopop. I only play with them for grins and giggles.
 
A/N: Written for the prompt: Someday. The quest is over, and its time to head back to Chang'An. Things feel a little off, for some reason, though. Mentions of Gojyo/Hakkai, and Sanzo/Goku.
 
0o0o0o0o0o
 
“This doesn't feel quite right somehow,” murmured Hakkai, staring at the rising sun from his place in the driver's seat.
 
Gojyo, sitting shotgun, chuckled. “I know, right? We been goin' west for so long, I almost forgot there was an east. But we knew we'd get here someday.”
 
“Did we?”
 
The redhead frowned at the brunet. “Yeah, we did. There was never any doubt in my mind that we'd get this done and go home.”
 
The healer turned a shiny smile on him, “Of course, Gojyo.”
 
Quick as lightning, the hanyou snagged the monocle from his startled companion. “No hiding behind this. I thought you were past all that.”
 
Both men knew what “all that” was. The converted youkai had always had certain self-destructive tendencies; Gojyo thought the last few months - since they'd finally become lovers - had ground them out of the other man.
 
Apparently not.
 
“Maa maa, Gojyo,” replied Hakkai, the quality his smile altering somewhat. It warmed the eye usually hidden behind the monocle, letting the redhead know that it was real and not one of his “plastic” ones. “You misunderstood me.”
 
A quirked eyebrow spoke volumes, and the brunet chuckled. “I am `past all that' as you so eloquently put it. However, I will admit that I was …less sure of our success when we first began this journey.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Of course. The four of us against tens of thousands of maddened youkai would usually be considered impossible odds,” explained the former teacher, somehow managing to not sound like he was lecturing his lover. “Mathematically, at least.”
 
“Well, when you put it that way…,” drawled Gojyo, around the fresh cigarette in his mouth. They lapsed into silence.
 
“Why were you so certain that we would get to India and stop Gyumaoh's reserection,” asked Hakkai curiously, noticing Sanzo and Goku's exit from the cabin the two had shared the night before. The young Sage was helping the grousing priest out to the jeep. A nasty leg wound was slowing the blond down.
 
The wound was the ostensible reason for the late starts in the morning. Both the redhead and the brunet, however, could catch the faint scent of sex that lingered over the two in the mornings. But not even Gojyo brought it up.
 
“Why was I so sure we'd make it back,” asked Gojyo, his smirk evident in his voice. “'Cause his Prissiness here said so, that's why!”
 
His laughter soon became choked curses as Sanzo lit into him with the harisen from the back of the jeep.
 
“Now, now,” interrupted Hakkai, his green eyes twinkling in a serious face. “No horseplay in the car, or you'll be left behind.”
 
Without another word - and without letting Sanzo sit back down - the converted youkai hit the gas, driving them into the sunrise and the road home.