Samurai Champloo Fan Fiction ❯ Fine, Fine Line ❯ Jin ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The chances of your surviving it are very small. If possible, please don't ever use this technique.
 
The words echoed through my head with renewed energy, ringing clear as when I first heard them. Kariya proved too strong for me to defeat on skill alone; I was lucky to have survived our previous battle. I could only do one thing: I lowered my guard. The assassin attacked.
 
There is an opening. Take it.
 
My sword sliced through the air, through layers of clothing, through flesh, against bone— through him. The blow had hit its mark; I sensed my attacker's grip loosening on his sword. I pulled the sword from his body. Kariya fell.
 
He is dead.
 
My thoughts and feelings came rushing back as the assassin fell to the ground—sharp feelings. His sword had cut me deeper than I first realized. This was the cost of my victory. I felt my knees grow weak as my vision blurred. In the back of my mouth I noticed a metallic taste growing stronger. Blood.
 
The samurai is always ready to die.
 
I fell to the ground, my legs unable to carry my weight. My senses dulled, but my mind remained sharp. I could see vividly the events that had passed bringing me to this cliff.. To Nagasaki. To Mugen and Fuu. Away from that place. The past three years of my life have left me wandering aimless. Masterless. Pointless.
 
There is no master worth risking your life for. My sword was nothing but a sword for myself.
 
I did what was necessary. The dojo was to be turned into a breeding ground for war. I could never have watched the school lose its soul. Enshirou Sensei lost his spirit. This country has lost its Way.
 
In all things, strive for the Way.
 
I shouldn't be ashamed of what happened. I served what was right. Even though that meant cutting down my own master, my conscience is clear. There is no dishonor in this.
But then what is the duty of a masterless warrior? To serve the country that lost his faith? To protect only one's own interest? Neither of these paths constitute honorable actions. If I learned one thing from this journey, it is that loyalty is not commanded, but earned by those most deserving of it.
 
I think I found my first friends.
 
I could hear the waves crashing against the rocks beneath the cliff, washing back toward the open sea. The horizon faded in my view. I had traveled for so long, but I had found something to serve. I had done my duty.
 
Samurai.
 
I smiled.