Shaman King Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demons, Secrets, and Shamans ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Demons, Secrets, and Shamans
Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I don’t own Yuu Yuu Hakusho or Shaman King.

A/N: This idea was nagging at me for a while so…yah…enjoy.
I’ll try to keep the balance between Yuu Yuu and Shaman King.


Gray eyes stared out over the mist-shrouded forest as the bat-winged demon-spirit hovered over the temple that he had once tried to rob and now was bound to protect. Funny how Fate likes to throw little things like that around. The figure chuckled to himself as thoughts of a certain silver-haired yoko entered his mind.

‘If you could see me now, Youko.’

“Yoh-dono always says that one should not dwell past events,” a voice drifts into his ears as the ghost of a 600 year old samurai appears next to him.
“Hmm… I thought Yoh always says that ‘everything will work out in the end’?” the bat demon replied while smirking slightly at the thought of the lazy shaman and his philosophies. The samurai just chuckled good-naturedly before responding,
“True, that too…and it will. You’ll see. Yoh-dono has an aura about him, Kuronue. It makes you want to believe the things he says.”
“I think you’re falling behind, Samurai…I recognized that when he saved my ass from being thrown into Hell.” The newly named Kuronue then went back to staring into space while the samurai left to leave his fairly new friend to his thoughts.
------------------------------------------------------------- --------

“Why do we have to do this again?” asked one very frustrated teenager. He sat leaning against a wall in the large office, jeans rumpled and hair mussed as if he had been dragged out of bed. Which in fact, he had been only hours before.
“Because, Yusuke, you are the only ones powerful enough to stop the maker of such a strong spirit energy if it should prove aggressive,” the child ruler of Reikai answered with as much patience as he could muster. About an hour prior, his assistant had informed him that a massive amount of spirit energy had radiated from a small shrine in Japan. Immediately, Koenma called for his spirit detective. Sadly though, with all the commotion of the Demon World Tournament coming to a close, Koenma had yet to choose a new detective for Reikai. He really did have too many things to do. Seeing as he had no other option, the toddler had begged his father to temporarily reinstate Yusuke as a Spirit Detective. King Enma reluctantly agreed.

So now Koenma sat in his office with the newly reinstated Yusuke Urameshi, Kazuma Kuwabara, Hiei, and Kurama. All of which were dragged forcefully out of their respective rest/sleep.

“Wasn’t I fired or something? You just can’t come drag me out of bed in the middle of the night!” The mazoku was NOT letting go of the issues. “And! What the hell are Yomi and Mukuro doing here?!”

“Yeah, what Urameshi said. I was having a good dream about Yukina!” Kuwabara shouted in support of his friend. Unfortunately, his declaration brought him the point of Hiei’s katana to his neck.

“Exactly what happened in these dreams of your’s, baka?” the short fire demon hissed while glaring at the much taller human.

“Er…nothing h-happened…honest. It would go against my code,” Kuwabara stuttered out while sweating bullets. The fire youkai narrowed his eyes but let the issue drop for the time being. Mukuro, Botan, Koenma, and Yusuke all sweat-dropped at the idiot’s misfortune of dating Hiei’s half-sister. Especially considering Hiei was inclined to dislike Kuwabara anyways. Surprisingly though, throughout the entire episode, Kurama, who usually diffuses situations involving an angry Hiei, was completely silent. Glancing at the fox youkai trapped in a human body, the other occupants of the room (minus Yomi because he can’t see, but he can sense Kurama’s emotions) were shocked to see the usually calm and logical kitsune ashen and wide-eyed, staring at the display screen which was currently displaying the shrine that they were going to investigate.

“Yo, Kurama, what’s up? You look like you’ve seen a ghost…no pun intended,” Yusuke asked in his usual blunt way. Kurama seemed to have to physically drag his eyes away from the picture of the shrine, though he still maintained his hunted/haunted expression.

“That’s the…same shrine where…Kuronue…” Kurama began carefully only to fade away before completing his thought. Not that the others in the room needed him to finish; everyone in the room knew who Kuronue was, either from personal meetings, rumor, or the occasion one of the group’s opponents had transformed into Kuronue to make Kurama too grief-ridden to fight. (a/n: If you don’t know what I’m talking about, watch the Yuu Yuu Hakusho Movie: Poltergeist Report.)

“Ah…Kurama…if you don’t want to go with Yusuke and the others…this once I won’t force you,” Koenma said uncertainly. Not even Yusuke dared to open his mouth to oppose that offer. Kurama just smiled slightly, still ashen, and shook his flaming head.

“No, no…I’ll go…it might be good for me,” he replied. (a/n: if only he knew)

The group remained silent for a moment before the resident punk-turned-Spirit-Detective-turned-mazoku continued on with his ranting. “You never said why Yomi and Mukuro are here!!”

Yomi smirked slightly as he turned in Yusuke’s general direction, “It would appear that Enma’s not taking any chances.”

Koenma just stated simply, “With the amount of raw power that emanated from that temple, I don’t think we can afford to take chances. Proceed with EXTREME caution.”

Everyone was silent after that and went to prepare for a long mission.
-------------------------------------------------------
20 Minutes later:

“Where the Hell are we?!” Yusuke and Kuwabara screamed. The whole Spirit Detective crew, plus Yomi and Mukuro, had jumped out of the portal to find themselves helplessly lost in a forest of VERY large trees. Mist pooled around the trunks and shadows lengthened all around them. The most common thought at the moment: ‘Are we sure this place is part of the Human Realm?’

Hiei just rolled his eyes and looked to Kurama, who seemed to be going down memory lane. “Hn. You know where this place is, don’t you, Fox?” Kurama just nodded and led them on.

-----------------------------------------------------

The headphones-wearing teenager sighed heavily as he looked out into the mist-covered forest. Amidamaru and Kuronue were kneeling in front of the window he was currently laying in, Kuronue looking to be dozing. Not that Yoh could really blame them; even he had to admit that this much free time was weird. Especially here where one couldn’t go a day without someone trying to steal the precious artifact buried below the temple. Even through his boredom, Yoh and his spirit allies could tell that this might very well have been the calm before the storm. And to think, he volunteered for this. He probably should have stuck to Anna yelling at him to do paperwork and the family council calling Kuronue’s and Hao’s souls to be sent to Hell.
….

……
Second thought…this was a bit more peaceful.