Slam Dunk Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Filling The Spaces Between ❯ Just a Sappy Love Song...Not Chapter 6! ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Note: Not Chapter 6. Not quite a songfic and not quite an omake either.

It takes place 2 years before the start of 'Filling in the Spaces"

Just A Sappy Love Song

The large man stared mindlessly at the driving wheel he held. The slighter man in the seat beside him was amusing himself by making finger puppets. They had been waiting for the stoplight to change for twenty minutes now.

"Why, Shiro-san, yes! Yes! I would love to marry you!" said one index finger to the other.

"Oh, Sae-san, you don't know how long I've hoped to hear those words from your lips!" came the reply. And the two fingers kissed, or more exactly, two fingertips pushed against each other while the owner of said fingers made kissing noises.

The driver stared at him, torn between amusement and curiosity as to his friend's sanity.

Paper rustled behind them; the man immediately stopped the little scenario he was creating, and both he and the driver glanced furtively at the backseat reflected in the rearview mirror. They could see the other two men, one of them calmly reading account reports or whatever official looking document, and the other man was smoking with his eyes fixed on the car beside theirs. When the two in front detected the latter's eyes swerving to look at them, they immediately shifted their attention to other objects. The news report they had been listening to on the radio ended without anyone in the car noticing.

The man in the front seat started twiddling his thumbs. More paper rustled. The man in the car beside them started complaining about smoke and rolled up his window. The driver, in his boredom, started humming along to the song that began to play on the radio and when the words started, he also began to sing with growing enthusiasm.

"I don't wanna lose you, I don't wanna use you just to have somebody by my side," he closed his eyes to concentrate on the song. It was one of his favorites.

Behind him, the man reading raised his head, the expression on his face one of horror as he heard the music playing. His eyes widened even further when one of the people he thought he knew well started to sing along.

The man beside him dropped his cigarette in shock at the opening bars of the song. It didn't sound like a Japanese song…it couldn't be-!

The man seated beside the singing driver now wore an expression similar to the one he had caused the larger man to wear. He knew Kuro knew that the two men in the back hated music of this type.

"Shut it off! Turn off the wailing gaijin!" barked the man who had lost his cigarette.

Shiro hastened to obey but couldn't figure out how to turn off the radio. It was an unspoken agreement between him and Kuro that Kuro would be the one in charge of the radio since he was the music lover. In trying to turn it off, he instead increased the volume. Kuro, lost in his private world, raised his voice in response.

"AND I DON'T WANNA HATE YOU, I DON'T WANNA TAKE YOU, BUT I DON'T WANNA BE THE ONE TO CRRYY!!!"

Shiro cringed, frantically pressing various buttons. He could picture Aoshi-san covering his ears and squeezing his eyes shut, praying that the torture that was gaijin music would soon end. And Saito-san would be frothing at the mouth now.

At that very moment came the bellow from the back seat, "For the love of the kami, if you value your life, TURN IT OFF!!"

Shiro started mashing buttons and pounding on dials in desperation, cursing under his breath all the while. Then a miracle happened, he had shut off the music. Merciful silence would have filled the air if it weren't for Kuro, who still kept on singing.

"THAT DON'T REALLY MATTE-MMPH!" Kuro was suddenly gagged. He turned his angry eyes at the offending hand and then on its owner who simply shrugged and rolled his eyes toward the rearview mirror.

They saw Aoshi-san lower his hands, and pick up the papers dislodged from his lap. Kuro pretended not to notice the faint sigh of relief that came from his superior.

'Never again will I ride with Kuro' went through Aoshi's brain as he rearranged the papers. Wailing Gaijin really was the best description for it he had to admit. Alas, poor Kuro, corrupted by Western pop culture. He shook his head. Oh well, there was still paperwork to be done.

Saito, meanwhile, was cursing. He had been forced to listen to some gaijin howling about something. AND he had burned a hole into his coat! This would definitely be the last time he accepted a ride from Aoshi to Kyoto. Why had he ever agreed to let Tokio use the car today? She could very well have easily gone by train!

Shiro was thankful that the policeman's anger wasn't turned against him and that Aoshi-san was pretending the whole incident had never happened. Maybe he would forget about the little playacting Shiro had done earlier too.

Kuro couldn't wait to reach the Aoiya. There he could listen to the songs he liked in peace. And he could sing along without anyone complaining. Well, almost anyone. At least, Hannya-san wouldn't. Not in his hearing anyway.

***

"But like a fool I keep losing my place
And I keep seeing you walk through that door
"

Megumi cocked her head to listen to the song playing at one of the other shops. Hmm… 80's love song unless she missed her guess. Now what was the title again? And who sang it? Sounded like an American country singer. She almost turned to ask Kaname but the girl had moved further into the store, and besides, she probably wouldn't know anyway. Ah-hah! One sure-fire way to remember a song was to remember the time period itself. Now what was she doing at the time this song was popular, not to mention how old was she?

"Kaasan? I'm done now," her daughter had materialized by her elbow, "what were you looking at?"

"Oh? Nothing, really. I was just thinking about something. And trying to remember…"

Kaname looked blankly at her and shrugged. "Anyway, I think we should leave now. My interview at the new school is in around an hour and a half from now."

"We have plenty of time to reach it. And I want to finish this song." Megumi strained her ears to hear the music.

"…But there's a danger in loving somebody too much
And it's sad when you know it's your heart you can't trust"

"But I want to look around the school first. And we still have to unpack our things at the apartment. Let's go!" The girl suited words to action as she made to pull on her mother's arm.

Megumi rolled her eyes and let herself be dragged along with only a mild protest. "You don't have to be so enthusiastic, you know. Maybe you should have stayed with Kaede…or your father…or maybe with Tokio-san, even…"

"Kaasan! It will take us about 35 to 45 minutes to reach the school from here. Hurry up!"


"There's a reason why people don't stay where they are"

***

The first practice game during summer break had just ended and Tomigaoka High students were boisterous in celebrating their team's victory, especially since it was against their chief rival, Fujimatsu High. Students from other schools had also attended and were equally loud in their jubilation. Most of them were girls who came to the game for only one reason.

This reason was currently in the locker room observing his teammates from his position by the wall. Why celebrate so soon? It was only the first game and there would be many more they to come if they were to win the district championship in the junior division.

"Oy, Rukawa! Where's Kana-chan? I thought she'd attend today's game?" Ayako-senpai popped out from somewhere.

He looked at her.

"Ah-hah! That look means 'she's not here, OBVIOUSLY'. I'm so proud of myself!" she giggled. "After so long, I can finally say I'm one of the few who can understand what Rukawa Kaede means when he glares at you."

He kept on looking at her.

"That one's asking you 'are you crazy', Ayako!" Kadowaki-senpai piped in.

"You're right!"

Kaede was now staring at the both of them.

"Hey, lighten up! We're on our final year here, Rukawa-kun. After a few more months, Ayako'll be in…Shohoku, I think, and I'll be in Aichi. Join us in celebrating!"

He and Ayako-senpai then started singing the silly sentimental song blaring from the loudspeakers a while ago.

"Now I could never change you… or at least we can't change Rukawa-kun."

"Shh! I don't wanna blame you… Baby, you don't have to take the fall…"

"Yes, I may have hurt you… But I did not desert you!"

He shook his head and walked out of the room to get a drink from the vending machine, ignoring the entreaties his senpai made for him to party along with them.

Outside, he breathed a little easier. The corridor wasn't as crowded as the room he had just left and the noise from the basketball court and the locker room were both muted. Then again, there were all these girls here. Where did they come from? Why were they here for that matter?

Picking up his drink and taking a long swallow from it, he noticed they were all staring at him, particularly that one group over there. They were wearing uniforms vaguely familiar to him. They were also very red in the face. Perhaps they had heatstroke? Shrugging to himself, he cleared the way to the vending machine. That was probably why they had been looking at him so intently; he had been blocking their path.

Sure enough, the brunette in the center had plucked up her courage and was approaching him. Oh well, might as well head back to the locker room.

"A-anou, Rukawa-kun─"

Couldn't she see the vending machine was free already? Picking up his pace, Rukawa Kaede failed to hear the rest.

"─good job?" The girl finished miserably as she looked at the retreating youth's back.

***

Okon fussed over the floral arrangement. Everything had to be perfect for the prospective clients they were going to entertain, so everybody in the staff was busy. And Okina was expecting Aoshi-san to bring Megumi-san and their children today. It had been quite some time since Kaede-kun and Kaname-chan had visited the Aoiya.

Omasu bustled in with more flowers. "Well, Okina's certainly in a good mood today."

A far-off voice cried out, "And there's a danger in loving somebody too much! And it's sad…when…hmm, what comes next again?"

Okon winced. "Where's Misao? Why isn't she undergoing this torment with us?" she gestured towards the direction from which the voice came.

"And it's sad when you know it's your heart they can't touch─"

Raising her voice to compete against the singer, Omasu answered, "Wrapped up in her new baby, where else?"

Okon shrugged and went back to arranging flowers. Hearing Okina struggle to find the words to the song reminded her of something he had said once. "Omasu, do you recall that time…when Okina was telling us that story about the 'one that got away'?

"Oh! Wait… 'Nadesico-san of the large eyes and flawless skin'? Yes, I do."

"Yes, and he was using this same song to explain why they weren't meant to be?"

Right on cue, Okina burst into song once more. "There's a reason why people don't stay who they are…"

Omasu snickered. "I, personally, believe that if 'Nadesico-san' even existed, she didn't stay with Okina because she was of a sane mind!" She opened the door to find Okina about to open it himself.

"Everything fine here?" He inquired, rubbing his hands together. "Hotta-san and his associates were pleased with the reception we gave them last time and this should be the clincher! Soon, every executive in Miyabe Enterprises will stay at the Aoiya whenever they visit the office here. And when they vacation in Kyoto, naturally where else would they go but to the place they trust, my Aoiya!"

"It's not your Aoiya, Okina, the Aoiya belongs to all of us." Okon threw him an exasperated glance.

"Well, yes… can't you let me imagine she's all mine? After I've spent my share of good looks, wit, talent, and youth in making this fine establishment the success it is now?" The old man pouted and cried mock tears. "Do you know what I had to give up for the Aoiya? I could have married Tsubaki-san…but as that song goes: There's a danger in loving somebody too much and it's sad when you know it's your heart they can't─"

"I thought she was Nadesico-san?" Okon asked with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"It was Tsubaki-san! Oh beautiful Tsubaki-san of the large eyes and flawless skin!" Okina exclaimed.

Omasu raised an eyebrow. "I'm pretty sure it was indeed Nadesico-san you're referring to, Okina."

"Eh…really? Well, you know, all these girlfriends with flower names, you tend to mix them all up. Eh-heheh." He chuckled.

"Right," Okon agreed but added under her breath, "If they even exist."

"Be that as it may, I've made sacrifices for the Aoiya and for all of you. I don't have a spouse, I don't have children of my blood, and I certainly don't have grandchildren!" His voice was breaking as he continued, "Not that I don't love you or your children…but they're not MINE, if you can understand…" He sniffled.

Okon and Omasu looked at each other. Okina was crying? Was this what he really felt? It was hard to understand the old man at times, never being able to judge whether or not he was serious. Moved by his pain they were about to go comfort him when he abruptly straightened his body.

"Feeling sorry for me are you? Well, don't! You people can pay me back by having lots of children… so I can be their surrogate grandfather!" He laughed. "Speaking of which, where are Aoshi and the others? I want to see my eldest grandson already!"

Taken aback my one of Okina's swift changes in mood, Okon stuttered, "T-they should be here in a few more minutes, Jiya."

"Good! I better give that boy a lecture too! Imagine, taking up basketball of all things!" The old man snorted. "Well, I'm sure he'll grow out of this phase when he reaches senior high. And he'll take up something sensible when he reaches college."

"Aren't you planning his future for him, Jiya?" Omasu prodded.

Okina smirked, "Well, who else is capable enough to do it? Once Aoshi and Megumi get here, then we'll start the real discussion of Kaede's future."

"Remember how the last 'discussion' ended, Jiya? Megumi-san and Aoshi-san weren't very happy when they left."

"Oh pfft! That was a whole year ago! And why in the world would they permit him to join the basketball team anyway? It was bad enough when they indulged him when he was younger, letting him waste his time and energy on such a useless hobby but to allow him to continue─"

Okon interrupted him, undisguised relief in her voice, "Oh look! They've arrived!"

In another shift of mood, Okina was all smiles. "Well, let's go welcome them in then!"

As they made their way to the front entrance, Okina started singing the song he had been trying to recall earlier. And Aoshi , Shiro, and Kuro opened the door to be greeted by the older man's voice belting out:

"There's a reason why people don't stay who they are
Cause baby sometimes love just ain't enough.
Baby sometimes love just ain't enough!"

Needless to say, Kuro was rather annoyed that Okina got to sing without anyone (other than Aoshi, that is) trying to make him stop.

***

*"Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough" by Patty Smith and Don Henley

AN: Just started writing this to help me over writer's block. And then it snowballed into something larger than I had planned. Darn Shiro and Kuro, they weren't supposed to be here! Although I pretty much like their portion. That part was supposed to be Aoshi and Saitou only. Then it changed to Tokio and Aoshi with Tokio going on a shopping trip to Kyoto and threatening Saitou that she was going to pay a visit to the station and giving his colleagues a heart attack. Then Kuro started singing in my head and Shiro came out with his finger puppets. And that's that! ^_^

Rukawa's part turned out longer than I thought it would too. Oh, and yup, it's Haruko who approached him by the vending machine if any of you were wondering…

The last part was supposed to be funnier but then I lost momentum and then these words came pouring out of his mouth…or my hand, if you prefer. ;) I tried to recoup the humor with the last line but maybe it didn't work.

The song doesn't really have a bearing on the fic. Or maybe it does, I'm not sure yet. It's just that the line "sometimes love just ain't enough" jumped out at me and I thought "hey, is that why they broke up?" But I don't know yet.

Thanks for sticking with us up to this part!

*Daiji, thanks for your advice on dealing with multiple fic ideas invading one's head! I'm now the proud author of 4 fic outlines with no conceivable real ending or beginning. But I've gotten this fic back on track, which is the important thing.

*Lady A, hope you like this one! Your news on the pending A/Meg site urged me to write this part of the story.

Again, thanks to all of you who've read and those who've read and reviewed!