Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ A Fox's Life ❯ Spikin' Spiky-head... ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Standard disclaimers apply. "Me broke, don't sue!" ^_*

"A Fox's Life"

Chapter 8: Spikin' Spiky-Head

"Really? You also know how to play volleyball?" Michiru gazed at him in amazement. Earlier, Coach Chiba and the others suggested Sendoh to take Michiru to the school canteen for a snack in the meantime he prepares the documents she needs. But when they came back, they found the gym empty. Sendoh grabbed the opportunity to talk to her while they wait for the others to get back.

He chuckled upon hearing seeing her reaction. He was feeling amused by the way Michiru's eyes were beaming in surprise upon knowing he also plays other sports than basketball.

"Well, yeah. I play volleyball every once in while when I got nothing to do. Why?"

Michiru shook her head. "Oww nothing. Its just I can't believe someone like you… I mean, I can't imagine you playing other sports aside from basketball."

He smiled. Indeed a lot of people who doesn't know him yet that deep also gets surprised to know that he actually is an all-around sportsman.

"Oh yeah? How come?"

"Hmm… let's just say when you're already famous as a basketball player-adding up your height-people thinks you're limited only to that and only be good at that, I guess," she answered.

Sendoh regarded Michiru for a while. "You have a point there, Ms. Akiyama," he said nodding. "Some would really laugh when I'd tell them that sometimes I really consider shifting to other sports-like volleyball, for instance."

"Maybe you're not that good, that's why."

The spiky-haired man eyed the girl seriously. Michiru had a teasing expression on her face. Sendoh smirked in response.

"Try me."

Sendoh stood up and went inside a room and came back with a volleyball in hand. Michiru stared in confusion.

"Uhm… wh-what are you up to?"

"We're gonna play, can't you see?" he said with an amused smile on his lips. He began to toss the ball with his arms.

Michiru arched an eyebrow at him. "Y-you're not serious, are you? I'm not playing okay? You can't make me play like this…?" she said looking at her get-up. "Hullooo? I'm in jeans…!"

"That's no problem. I can lend you my shorts if you want…" he said attempting to pull down his jersey.

Michiru turned around automatically in horror. "No! Don't…!" she stammered. Inhaling deeply, she decided to surrender. "Okay, okay. I'll play with you if that's what you want…"

"… can I turn around now?"

Sendoh laughed. He laughed even harder when he saw Michiru's face red as a tomato in embarrassment. But the blush on her both cheek seemed to emphasize her innocent-like beauty even more. Spiky felt enjoying himself with just looking at her at that moment.

"Why are you blushing?" he teased. "It isn't like you haven't seen a naked guy before…"

She blushed harder. "W-well…" she tried to explain while looking at other directions. Feeling herself being toyed, she pouted. "Can we just play now?"

The smile in Sendoh's face grew wider. God, she can't be THIS beautiful…!

"Let's get it on, then."

Michiru put down her things on a table near her and they walked together at the center of the court. She positioned herself a few meters away from him.

Having felt she was ready as she took her stance, Sendoh threw the ball upwards to the air towards her.

Michiru was fast enough to have tossed the ball back to him. He again tossed it back with his arms but was immediately caught off-guard as Michiru quickly assumed spiking position. It was only a matter of time as Sendoh struggled to keep the ball in play by tossing it back to her. The force was too great that the ball went high in the air.

Michiru smiled upon seeing his quick move. His reflexes are good…

… but still not quite.

Calculating the distance between her and the ball still high up, on cue she leaped to hit the ball again with a massive forehand spike downward to the still-recuperating Spiky-head.

But she suddenly felt unsure of the move she did upon seeing the grin on his face.

She felt as-if he had read that move all along and was expecting it. And was ready for a counter-attack any time.

Hah! He can't possibly…

Twisting his body slightly and positioning his arms with ease, he had managed to block the spike intended for him.

N-no…

The impact of the ball upon hitting his arms had taken an immense throwback up the air, causing it to fall out of bounds as it flew above Michiru's head.

Michiru stood there speechless.

She wasn't able to counterattack…

And it was the first time somebody had manage to deflect a ball she had spiked.

Nobody was really able to…

… not until now.

The Tomigaoka Volleyball Team has considered her their 'ace' upon seeing that one-of-a-kind spike of hers. The force of the ball when hit by her arms created doubts as to one could be able to block or even toss it. Nobody ever withstood Michiru's stamina and agility in recovering from a block or even from a spike from the opponent. Not even their Team Captain surpass her when it comes to energy stability.

And now.

Sendoh slowly stood straight and stared directly at the still-dazed Michiru. He spoke to her, "Why? Hasn't anyone done that before?"

She wailed her head. "Not really. Actually there was…"

Suddenly her eyes grew wide before uttering the name of the person that had had once blocked her spike before. Looking at the clock near the door, she quickly grabbed her things and rushed out of the gym to her car, half-running and walking.

Sendoh, who looked puzzled at that moment also ran out and caught up with her. "D-did I say something wrong?"

Shaking her head, without even turning around, she got inside her car and started the engine.

Casting his a nervous smile, "Thanks for the list, though its not yet that complete. I'm sorry but I have to hurry. Please give my sincerest apologies to the others and to Coach Chiba, okay? I-I really just have to go now," she said.

But after her car had just driven a few yards away from him, it stopped.

Michiru glanced at him from the driver-seat window and smiled apologetically at him.

"It was a nice game… you're good," she paused. "I'm looking forward to play with you again some other time, Mr…?"

"Sendoh. Just call me Sendoh."

She nodded. "Yeah, until then. Nice meeting you… Sendoh."

With that, she drove off.

The spiky-haired cager was left to himself, still befuddled by the girl he just met.

He caught himself smiling.

I'll see to that 'sometime' would be sooner, Michiru.

Thank you for the reviews. Ja! ^_^