Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ April 1st - The GIFT ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*************************************************

EPILOGUE: THE GIFT OF YOUR LOVE

*************************************************

{A year later - Rukawa Manor}

Shinji and Naomi Rukawa, both looking elegant and as much the aristocrat as they were known to be, stood side by side just right outside their mansion as they welcomed and bade visitors who comes and goes. Only a few wore familiar faces and some of those were still at the solarium where the main festivity was still ongoing.

"Stop fidgeting, Shinji," Naomi scolded her husband for the nth time that night.

"This suit is stifling me!"

Smiling at another nameless guest, "It's not that different from the suits you wear almost everyday."

"It is different! And I wish that all these people would just go home so I could change into a more comfortable attire."

"Patience honey. It's not everyday that your only child gets married."

Trying not to scowl as another guest passed by, "Thank God for that but, do remind me to just let him and his new found, er… husband handle all the parties after this. Okay?"

Laughing, Naomi clasped her hand on her husband's arm and said, "You know as well as I do that Kaede won't have a party unless he could help it and besides, you like all this hoopla. You like having this huge house filled with people."

Sighing, he patted his wife's hand and said, "True. Speaking of this house, did Kaede tell you where he and Hanamichi would be living?"

"Yes, in Hanamichi's house. Not only is it near Kanagawa University but he wants to live where Hanamichi is most comfortable." Shaking her head, "Guess we'll be seeing less of Kaede now that he has his own family." Naomi stated with a thoughtful smile.

Looking down on his wife, Shinji thought of something all of a sudden. Seeing one of the best man at the wedding, "Youhei-kun, could you be our substitute for a while? I just have to take Mrs. Rukawa somewhere. Would that be okay?" Shinji asked.

"We'd be glad to. Right guys?" Mito asked, turning towards his three other friends who nodded in acquiescence.

"Thanks." After saying that, Shinji pulled his baffled wife inside the house and straight towards the den.

"What's the matter, Shinji?"

Gazing into a pair of clear blue eyes that were the exact replica of his son's, Shinji took a deep breath before asking, "Are you okay with this, Naomi? Now that Kaede is married, you won't have a child to dote and worry over anymore."

For a while, Naomi stared at her husband and wondered where the concern was coming from. Then she remembered the incident when their daughter died and understood her husband's question. Smiling her understanding, she clasped Shinji's hand and said, "I am okay with it, honey. I did not loose a child. In fact, I gained a very boisterous one and I'm sure that I'll have my hands full with Hanamichi."

Relieved, Shinji smiled back and kissed his wife tenderly on her forehead before standing up and offering his hand. "Come. Let's both enjoy and share in the celebration of our son's happiest day and nothing's going to ruin it for me, not even this stifling suit."

Taking the offered hand, "Yes, let's. We have to relieve Hanamichi's friends of that boring task you gave them so they could enjoy the party." But once they stepped into the living room, Naomi saw her childhood friend.

"Hanami!" She called and a rather beautiful woman with dark tresses and sparkling blue eyes turned and waved.

Frowning, "Who invited them?"

"I saw their son's name in the invitation list so it's but natural that I invite them also. I haven't seen and talked with Hanami for ages." Naomi replied in excitement.

"Please don't tell me that we're going to talk to them. I don't like that husband of hers." Shinji complained but was already following his wife.

"Why not? He's charming and very friendly."

"Too friendly and too charming for my taste and I often wondered if someone had plastered that smile on his face."

"Ssshh… stop saying that. You're starting to sound like your son," Naomi rebuked, elbowing her husband. "Go and change places with Youhei-kun and the others and leave me with them if you find him so distasteful. Though why you and Kaede feel that way about him and his son is beyond me."

"Leave you? With him? No way!"

Thus, Naomi was left with no other choice but to have her over jealous and possessive husband by her side, smiling albeit sulking inwardly, while she talk with the Sendoh's.

*********************************************

{Outside the manor}

"What do you think Hanamichi and Rukawa are doing right now?" Takamiya questioned, turning towards his slightly taller dark-haired friend.

Looking somewhat bored, "What do you think?"

Slightly peeved, "Okay… Where do you think Rukawa took Hanamichi for their honeymoon then?" Takamiya questioned differently this time.

Turning towards his chubby friend, "Do you even know Rukawa? Do you think that he would actually talk to anybody about that?" Mito sarcastically countered.

"Why? You think he's paranoid after what happened last year?" Noma asked.

Shrugging, "Maybe. Who knows what goes on inside that head of his?"

"Hmm… that reminds me. Why did you wait half a year before telling us about the Fujima incident?"

"Yeah. You were so tight lipped about it after you came back to the party with smiley. It was obvious that you were hiding something, what with you and Sendoh doing that song and dance of evading everybody's question about birthday boy's absence."

"I told you guys already. It was not mine to tell. Besides, Rukawa made me promise not to tell anyone and since it was understandable, I agreed."

"Don't mind them, Youhei. We do understand and we're glad that you waited till Hanamichi was ready for us to know." Noma interjected.

"Ooh… but there's one thing that came out good with that Fujima incident." Takamiya pointed. Three sets of eyes turned towards him.

Crossing his arms, "What pray tell is that?" Mito asked.

"Yeah, Takamiya. What could possibly come out good after what happened to Hanamichi?" Ookusu added while Noma looked on.

Placing his hands over his mouth to stifle his growing laughter, Takamiya held on to his revelation for a while before blurting out, "First, that we got Hanamichi's presents. Second, that we were able to find out that Hanamichi is not the only one who got hooked after April Fool's day."

After saying that, three members of Sakuragi's Gundan erupted in chorused laughter and would have laughed even if their sides ached if Noma had not recognize the thunderous look being given to them by their friend.

Brushing the tears that had gathered in his eyes, "I'm sorry but it is hilarious and you'd think it too if you're in our shoes. I mean, next to Hanamichi, who would have thought that you're also gay." That earned Noma a hard jab on his shoulder and he actually staggered sideways from its force.

"Not to mention that you fell for the most unlikely person that you could fall for." Ookusu stated, still laughing.

"And speaking of the said unlikely person, lover boy number two is heading our way to claim his little love," Takamiya pointed and laughed even more when he saw his friend blushed.

"So this is where you guys disappeared to, I've been looking all over," The newcomer stated, snaking an arm around his boyfriend's waist.

Controlling his mirth, "Why? Missed your little 'bun' already?" Takamiya teased.

Smiling sheepishly, "Well, yeah. But could you blame me? I've only had this precious brunette for just a month."

"That's because you spent most of the year getting over Hanamichi," Noma pointed.

Sendoh worriedly looked down his newfound boyfriend and said, "Not true. I may have spent 3 or 4 months pining for him but the rest I spent convincing your friend here that my intentions for him are real."

"Just out of curiosity and not that we're prying or anything but… How DID you manage to fall for Youhei?" Ookusu queried, still with that goofy grin plastered on his face.

Looking thoughtful, "I really don't know. All I know is that, I woke up one day seeing not Hana-kun's face but Youhei's. It confused me at first and I pondered over it for a while." Scratching his chin, "I remembered staying away from Youhei because of that to think and recheck my feelings. But I didn't know that staying away from him would be too hard. Of course, I thought that I only missed his company because as you guys know, he and I became close after that Fujima incident." Chuckling, he went behind his also curious boyfriend, wrapped his arms around the latter and said, "Hmm… Maybe it's safe to assume that my feelings for this guy started when he was trying his best to make me forget Hana-kun."

Lips twitching, "I only did that for Hanamichi's peace of mind. Just imagine his worry every time you came along and he sees Rukawa going nuts with jealousy over you." Mito remarked and sighed as he lean against the warmth behind him.

Tightening his arms, "Uh huh… Remind me to thank you later for saving me then, Youhei-bun," Sendoh cooed.

Mito blushed against the teasing stare his friends were giving him but before he could answer that one, Noma interrupted him by saying, "That… What's with that 'bun' part? It's not Youhei at all!"

Placing his head onto Mito's shoulder, "It's my pet name for him. See, 'bun' is short for bunny because he was so elusive before but now that I have caught him…" Grinning, "I just shortened it to Youhei-bun."

"And you're okay with that?" Noma inquired, staring at Mito.

Shrugging, "Better than being called honey, or sweetheart, or darling."

Noma, Takamiya and Ookusu laughed at that and were still laughing when another Shohoku couple, bitten by the same April Fool's love bug, came strolling towards them.

"Hi guys. What are you doing here? The party's still in full swing back in the solarium." Mitsui asked with an arm casually slung over his slightly shorter boyfriend.

Still not that comfortable of their relationship, Mito wriggled free from Sendoh's embrace but remained standing close to the warmth as he replied, "Rukawa's parents asked us to be their substitute for a while but for what, we really don't know." Shrugging, "Guess we'll just have to wait till they come back."

"Oh…" Mitsui mouthed.

"So… What brings you two out here?" Sendoh inquired, mirroring Mitsui's posture by slinging his own arm around his own petite boyfriend.

"The solarium is starting to get crowded. Too many visitors and I can't find half of the people I know in there." Miyagi answered, not at all surprised about Sendoh and Mito's relationship since he kept contact with Sakuragi.

"Hmm… I saw Haruko, Ayako, and Megane-kun left a while ago. Then, Gori, Boss Monkey and Hikoichi left much earlier than that. Gori was saying something about a practice game or something," Noma stated, scratching his chin.

"That would be the practice game that we'll be having against Kanagawa University next week. I believe Rukawa and Sakuragi are the golden rookie that Maki and Akagi are preparing for?" Mitsui asked, turning to Sendoh in which the latter nodded his head in agreement.

Changing the topic, "Hey, Ryochin. Do you have any plans of following Hanamichi's footsteps?" Ookusu suddenly blurted.

Wide eyed, "What? Get married?" Seeing a nod, "I don't think so. Hisashi and I are happy with the way things are and marriage is not our thing," Shohoku's once ace point guard replied.

"YET!"

Turning towards his scarred face lover, "Huh?"

Looking down onto the puzzled face, "We might not have talked about it yet, Ryo-kun, but I do intend to settle down one day, and since Rukawa and Sakuragi are able to pull it off..."

"Hisashi…" Miyagi trailed, touched by the seriousness that suddenly beset his always-playful lover.

Breaking the moment, "Yo what's up?" Said a newcomer with a rather long silky black hair tied in a ponytail.

The small group manning the fort, as Mito earlier explained, turned to regard the three newcomers and something like dejavu struck Mito into saying, "What is this? A reunion or something?"

Kiyota, Jin, and Hanagata, along with Sendoh and the others, laughed at Mito's rather weird expression.

"It kinna seems like it, doesn't it?" Jin commented with a smile.

"Yeah. Can't believe that it's been a year since that dating game," Hanagata added.

Snorting, "Hmph… Still can't believe that that red monkey got hitched."

"Don't tell me you're jealous, Kiyota."

Turning towards the resident ace basketball player of Kanagawa University, "Why would I be? I've got my own love and that monkey could not even hold a candle to him," Kiyota proudly beamed.

The former 3-point player of Kainan High could not help but blush to the roots of his hair when all eyes zeroed in on him. And it did not help when his rowdy boyfriend wrapped a possessive arm around his waist either.

Laughing, "I don't think Rukawa would agree with you, Kiyota, though I doubt that you guys would ever see eye to eye," Sendoh commented.

"Hey, Youhei. Do you still remember the time when Rukawa got wind of what Kiyota did to Hanamichi last year?" Takamiya suddenly asked.

Chuckling, "Yup! I believe that Kiyota got a fist on his eye for that," Mito replied and all four members of Sakuragi's Gundan broke out laughing when they saw the sudden blush that crept into Kiyota's face.

"SHUT UP!" Kiyota bellowed, but to his consternation, the others, and his boyfriend as well, joined in the laughter. With chibby eyes, "Soi-chan, you too?"

Relenting, Jin squeezed the arm holding his waist and said, "I'm sorry, Nobu-kun, but it was really funny at that time and you deserved it for doing that to Sakuragi."

"You don't love me anymore," Kiyota pouted, rubbing his forehead against his taller lover's shoulder.

Ruffling the wild mane, "That's not true and you know it," Jin chided with fondness.

"Just be thankful that you were able to escape an even heavier punishment when you left me and Fujima that time in my house. If you've stayed, them maybe… "

"HA! I'm not afraid of Rukawa. And for your information, I didn't escape. Soi-chan here needed me for last minute instructions about the team and I'm glad that I went." Turning his gaze away from Sendoh, Kiyota stared at Jin and said, "Or we wouldn't have gotten together."

Jin smiled and his heart fluttered at the love that was clearly shining for him in his boyfriend's baby blue eyes.

Coughing, "Sorry," Hanagata said as both Kiyota and Jin turned to stare at him. "You guys are starting to get all lovey dovey for my taste and I am kinna missing my girlfriend."

Out of the blue, "Er… Hanagata-san, where are Fujima and Maki-san?" Sendoh asked with caution, stepping beside his boyfriend who had fallen silent after watching Jin and Kiyota's display of affection to each other.

"Yeah. Where are they? I thought they were coming." Jin also inquired.

Adjusting his spectacles, "They opted to stay in Tokyo in the last minute, and yes, they are both doing fine and are still together," Hanagata divulged, reading the unspoken question behind Sendoh's words.

"Why? Were they ever in danger of breaking up?" Mitsui queried. "Did you notice anything, Ryo-kun?"

"Nope. They're like the sweetest couple on campus so why would they be breaking up?"

"Why would they be breaking up? Maki-san and Fujima-san IS the perfect couple! Well, next to Soi-chan and me, of course," Kiyota boasted, much to Jin's chagrin again.

Sendoh, Hanagata, and the Gundan sweatdropped as they remembered that Mitsui, Miyagi, and even Kiyota and Jin knew nothing of the events that happened same date of last year. Not willing to disclose the reason behind the question just yet, Sendoh and Hanagata tried racking their brains for something to throw the others but it was Mito who cracked the tense silence by saying, "You know… I think we ought to thank Hanamichi one day. All six (6) of us." Noticing the raised eyebrows and the blank looks, "I mean, Akira and I, Jin and Kiyota and Mitsui and Miyagi. If it weren't for his birthday celebration, then the six (6) of us wouldn't have found our true love."

Drawing his beloved within his embrace, "Am I your true love, Youhei?" Sendoh asked in all seriousness.

Forgetting his shyness, Mito turned to stare at his 'own' blue-eyed boyfriend and said, "May you be a boy or girl, I know that you're meant for me, Akira, and I'm not afraid to show it anymore." As proof, he wrapped his arms around Sendoh's neck and pulled the latter down for them to share a kiss meant to tell everyone of their newfound relationship.

Three sets of eyes widened in disbelief and amazement but said nothing. Jin turned towards his boyfriend after the shock receded and whispered something which the latter hastily agreed. Saying their goodbyes, the pair set off to their own home to spend quality time together. After which, Hanagata immediately followed suit, Mitsui dragged Miyagi somewhere, and Noma and the others decided to search for their own love by going back to the party.

Needing air, Sendoh and Mito broke apart and it took them quite awhile before they noticed that they were the only ones left standing outside the mansion. Both chuckling, "Guess we scared them off, huh?" Mito questioned, in which Sendoh answered by claiming his lips once again for a quick searing kiss before saying, "I love you, Youhei."

Mito blushed and hid his head inside Sendoh's jacket. "I love you too, Akira."

Hearing the words, Sendoh could not help the whoop of sheer joy that escaped his lips for it was the first time that Mito said the words to him. He knew that the other loved him, he could feel it, but hearing it meant so much more. Cupping his blushing boyfriend's face, "Do you know how happy you've just made me tonight?"

Masking his own happiness, Mito forced a bland expression then said, "Hmm… I dunno. How?"

Not buying the fake look, Sendoh tap the tip of Mito's nose and said, "You've made me happier than what Rukawa and Hana-kun might be feeling right now."

Laughing out loud, "Now that is way happy. I don't think we could rival what those two are feeling right now," Mito remarked as he leaned his face back inside Sendoh's jacket.

Gazing upwards, [wherever you are Hana-kun, I wish you all the happiness in the world and thank you for bringing Youhei to me.]

********************************************

{Somewhere}

The twinkling of the stars, the clear blue sky above, the tranquility of the surrounding, the warm but humid breeze of the night and the raven head in his arms, all made a certain birthday boy blissfully happy and he thought that nothing could be more perfect.

Sneaking a peek at the sleeping face of his kitsune, Sakuragi sighed in content before turning his gaze back to the stars. He still could not fully believe that he and Rukawa did it. They really got married. Before, he thought that marriage for the two of them was just word of mouth and that they would not actually go through with the proceeding. However, Rukawa was Rukawa; determined and never gave up until he got what he wanted. He remembered laughing his head off when the fox-eyed brunette told him that they would be 'sealing their promise of eternity' on his birthday. He did not take the other seriously of course but as time passed by and his birthday drew near, he could not help but accept what the other kept insisting. The preparation, the fitting of the suits, the setting of the place where they were going to say their vows, the invitations, the food, the band, EVERYTHING! Rukawa took care of everything up to the smallest detail and all that was really left for him to do was to choose a song. Sure, choose a song. If it was as easy as pointing a finger to a certain title listed on a song page then he would not have spent an entire month fretting over it. It had to be the perfect song. Perfect to express his love for his dark haired soon-to-turn-lover-and-husband. After a painstaking month of searching, he finally found it. True that the ceremony was indeed planned to perfection and that the guests were especially awed with the way the solarium was transformed into a small Garden of Eden but it was not till the song he chose got played did the significance of that day dawned on everyone. Rukawa's mother was in tears, Youhei and the others were slightly surprised with the sappiness of the song he chose but none of those mattered to him. His only concern was to see if Rukawa got the message of the song. His answer, though, came in the form of sapphire orbs glistening with tears and the tightening of the hand holding his own.

Still smiling in remembrance, a movement by the body snuggled against him brought him back from his happy recollection and when he looked down, a pair of sleepy blue eyes met his gaze.

Stretching, "Hmm… Didn't you sleep?"

Staring lovingly at his blue-eyed lover, "I couldn't sleep."

Lifting himself on one elbow, "Why? Are you still sore? Did it hurt that much?" Rukawa questioned in sudden alarm.

For a second, Sakuragi did not understand what his lover was talking about but when he did, he reached out and affectionately tapped the other's nose. "I'm fine, Kaede. It was painful, yes, but you made me forget the pain soon after. So don't worry about it."

Sighing in relief, Rukawa laid his head once again on Sakuragi's chest, "So what were you doing?" He asked, drawing circles around a rosy bud.

Feeling the tingle of pleasure, Sakuragi looked down and replied, "Just thinking."

"Of what?" Rukawa pressed, transferring his teasing towards the other nipple.

"Stuffs, but mostly about what happened today."

Satisfied to see that the twin buds were now rock hard, Rukawa gave both a quick peck before shifting his body to transfer his ministration on Sakuragi's neck. "What about it?"

Loving the feel of the roving tongue on his neck, "Nothing much, but erm… Kaede, can we go downstairs? I mean, don't you think making love again on top of your yacht without so much as a roof over our heads is a tad bit… pushing our luck?"

Though busy with teasing an ear lobe, Rukawa managed to whisper, "Why? Are you getting cold?"

Tilting his head to the side to give the roaming lips more access, "Not really. Your body keeps me warm but… It is rather eerie to be 'openly' naked like this. What if your crew comes up and sees us? Or… What if an airplane or a helicopter passes by and sees us? Won't it be awkward and embarrassing to say the least?"

Trailing his lips lower, "You think too much. Don't worry about the crew. They know better than to disturb us," Rukawa replied, his lips reaching Sakuragi's collarbone.

"But it's still disconcerting to know that people might see us having sex," the redhead pressed then moaned when a portion of his skin was sucked into a moist warm cavern.

Kissing the mark he just created, Rukawa crawled on top of his bashful lover and rained kisses all over the reddened face while saying, "Like what you have already said earlier, Hana-kun, making love. Having sex are for people seeking temporary release and ours is nothing like that."

Sakuragi was about to say something when Rukawa shut him off with a searing passionate kiss, making him temporarily forget everything except for the guy on top of him. Minutes later, after breaking apart for air, Rukawa placed his elbows on both sides of his 'aho's face and tenderly brushed the tendrils that kept the honey brown eyes hidden from his view. He savored looking down his still panting lover for a while then rolled onto his back and gathered Sakuragi to him.

Resting his head against Rukawa's beating heart, "Kitsune, what made you choose the sea instead of dry land for our honeymoon?" Sakuragi queried.

Stroking the crimson mane on his chest, "I want to be able to celebrate your birthday as well as our wedding night longer than we could."

Looking up, "Huh?"

Taking a deep breath, Rukawa smiled down and said, "Your birthday and our wedding day should be ending in about 3 hours or so from now. Right?" Seeing a nod, "Well, since I want to make up for the time we lost last year, I decided to have our wedding night here in Japan then celebrate your birthday elsewhere where it would still be April 1st."

Still confused, "Today IS my birthday and IS our wedding night. And we are celebrating it both, aren't we?"

Shaking his head, "No we're not. This day and this night are for the both of us. But yours would be tomorrow's. I want tomorrow to be YOUR day while I just celebrate it with you.

"You're not making sense. How in the world are we…?" The redhead stopped, realizing something all of a sudden. Sitting up, he stared out into the night and only then did he notice something. Maybe it was the almost inaudible hum of the engine, or the surprising calmness of the sea, or maybe because Rukawa made him forget everything that he failed to notice that the yacht never anchored.

Still staring out, "Where's this yacht taking us, Kitsune?"

"Near an airfield outside Japan where a Concorde is waiting to take us to New York."

[WHAT?] Dumbfounded, Sakuragi stared wide-eyed at his lover before exploding, "Have you gone nuts?" Making a move to stand, he was halted by a hand on his arm and a worried voice saying, "Where are you going?" In which he replied with, "Anywhere but New York!"

Still keeping a tight grip on Sakuragi's arm, "Stop it, 'aho. You can't do anything about it now. We're going and that's that." Rukawa stated in a tone that brooked no argument.

Feeling the rise of anger within him, "Who the hell made you the boss of me? Don't think that just because I'm legally tied to you that you could just order me around. I am still my own person, Rukawa."

[Shit!]The brunette inwardly cursed upon hearing his last name. He could recognize the brewing anger even in his sleep. Reluctantly admitting that he was at fault in a way, he quenched his own growing irritation and pulled himself up to embrace the redhead. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it to sound like I'm ordering you around. Please, let's not fight," he implored.

Inhaling Rukawa's scent, the redhead mellowed a little and wrapped his own arms around the other. "I'm sorry too," he mumbled. Then added in the same tone of voice, "I just don't want you spending money on me. First, you took it on yourself to arrange our wedding and I let you do that. Then this yacht and now you expect me to just fly to New York?" Pressing his forehead onto Rukawa's shoulder, "That's just too much. You're starting to make me feel like a wallflower, Kaede. Please, please don't make me feel less of what I am."

Feeling like a heel, Rukawa lifted the head from his shoulder and made the brown orbs meet his gaze by cupping the boyish face. Seeing the sadness within the brown depths, he drew in his breath before saying, "I never meant for you to feel that way, Hana-kun, and God knows that I only want to make you happy." Rubbing both his thumb along his Hana's cheekbones, "But if by showering you with everything that I have is making you sad then… I promise to tone it down a bit and let you know my plans first."

That snapped the redhead from his melancholy and lifted one brow as he said, "Tone it down? You mean there's gonna be more?"

Trying not to smile at the incredulous expression that replaced the sadness in his beloved's eyes, Rukawa forced his voice to remain placid as he said, "Maybe. Look, we have an eternity to live together, Hana, and you can't completely turn away from who I am. And who I am is someone who might want to give his love one a gift from time to time or whisk him off somewhere to occasionally get away. Now is that bad?"

Seeing the logic but still not relenting, "No it's not but…"

Placing a finger to silence the redhead, "That's all I needed to hear," Rukawa said before replacing his finger with his lips. After the chaste kiss, "So, do you forgive me for not telling you about New York?" Seeing the crimson head bob a little, "We're going to New York then, right?" He asked in hope.

With his resolve crumbling beneath the pleading gaze, Sakuragi sighed in resignation and said, "Yeah. We are." Catching the fleeting triumphant grin, "Just this once, and no more surprises you sneaky kitsune."

Nodding his head, Rukawa's grin turn into a smile as he urge Sakuragi to lie back down. After snuggly cuddling the redhead beside him, he said, "Thank you, Hana-kun. I promise that you won't regret a minute of it."

"Why New York anyway?"

"Why not? I heard that it's a great city to visit. Besides I've always wanted to see Madison Square Garden."

"It figures. You're just thinking about basketball again instead of me," Sakuragi snorted.

"Do'aho," Rukawa laughingly chided. "We have a tour guide who'll be showing us the sights during the day, and then, later at night…" Dropping his voice to a husky whisper, "I'll let you do anything you want with me." He said and smirked when he saw his beloved blushed.

"Anything?" Sakuragi mumbled, hiding his face.

"Yeah, anything. I've always dreamed of you making love to me you know," Rukawa revealed with a chuckle.

Startled, "Since when?"

Placing one hand beneath his head, Rukawa gazed up to the stars as he softly said, "Since last year."

"Last year? But you haven't…"

"… said anything?" Rukawa finished.

"Yeah," was Sakuragi's shy reply. "And here I thought I was the only one with such thoughts since you've always told me that you want to wait for the right time."

Closing his eyes, Rukawa absently trailed a finger up and down Sakuragi's arm as he almost inaudibly said, "Yeah, I know." Feeling a burning gaze on him, he opened his eyes and met his beloved's inquisitive gaze. Knowing what was behind that look, he removed his hand from beneath his head then reached to tenderly caress the face that was always in his dreams and realized that he should tell the other what he had planned for them last year. "Hana…" He started. "Last year," clearing his throat, "do you remember the phone call you got from me while you were driving to Sendoh's house?"

Nodding, "Yes. You said that you were gonna take me somewhere."

"Actually, I was supposed to take you back to Kiyoto back then. Not to see the Sakura tree and listen to music like what we've done the year before that but…" Tracing the outline of the redhead's lips, "I was supposed to make love to you that night." Seeing the chocolate colored eyes widened in disbelief, he stifled a laugh then said, "Do'aho. That part would come later that night, of course. Way later after we share a candlelit dinner during which I was supposed to confess that I'm ready both in heart and in mind to be your lover."

Blinking stupidly a couple of times, "Then why wait this long before telling me that?" The redhead cried and would have said something else if not for the pain that clouded his mate's blue eyes.

Dropping his hand onto his chest, "Because of what happened." Sighing, "I still wish that I didn't make you leave without me back then. But, the fact remains that I did and by doing so… you almost got raped," Rukawa barely whispered. Kneading his forehead, "The guilt held me back and I also couldn't make you face that horror by triggering something in your memory. So I waited till it's your turn to be ready." Meeting the brown gaze again, "Ready for you to make love with me," he ended then held his breath for the other's reaction.

Though he knew that he had to say something, Sakuragi was incapable of saying anything for a second. The revelation brought both pain and sadness to him that he could only utter an, "Oh…" before laying his head back down.

[Last year… We've wasted a year,] the redhead thought. As he closes his eyes, it was as if he got transported back to that time and place. He remembered watching the video, reading the letter, and how Rukawa never left his side the whole time. Unconsciously, he snuggled deeper within Rukawa's embrace as he recalled the hardships they both went through afterwards.

It was months before both of them could actually put aside the said incident and that was after squashing a thousand inclinations to go to Tokyo and seek for revenge. Rukawa had been great. He was always there to sooth his worries and calm his fears and never once did he hear him complain about his moods. Once, only once, did he see Rukawa blow his fuse about the topic and that was when Hanagata went to visit them in the gym, relaying a message from Fujima saying that he hoped things were okay between him and Rukawa. What happened after that was unbelievable. The kitsune went berserk and he literally threw Hanagata out with a message saying that he would kill Fujima if he so ever shows his face or even come near him, Sakuragi, ever again. After that, Rukawa became morose and unapproachable. Thus, one night, after practice, after Rukawa brought him home, he asked the latter to stay a little while longer and they talked. They have spent the whole night talking and thankfully, came morning, the shroud left by Fujima got lifted and they were able to start anew.

Smiling albeit feeling sad about the time they wasted because of the incident, "You know, even though I again have reason to pound that substitute to death for taking away my chance of sleeping with you that time, I'm glad that we have forgiven him," Sakuragi stated unexpectedly, shocking his blue-eyed lover.

"Why?"

Propping his head on Rukawa's chest, "Because at least now, we won't have his shadow looming over us." Sakuragi grinned.

Rukawa's eyes shone anew as he gaze upon his adorable redhead and he could not agree more to what the other just said for he knew it also to be true. "Yes, Hana-kun. I am glad that we did." He replied, lifting his head to place a quick kiss onto the other's lips.

Sighing blissfully once again, Sakuragi nestled back into Rukawa's embrace and said, "Life is perfect. Perfect now that I have you with me, for eternity!" He yelled into the wind.

Sharing the other's happiness, "Yes… for eternity." The raven head agreed then would have proceeded to show how he would like to spend most of their 'eternity' when the other suddenly scrambled onto his feet in his naked glory. "What's wrong, Hana?"

"I almost forgot. I have your gift down below. Don't move. I'll just be a second."

The exuberant birthday boy was about to climb down the steps when a cloak of white came out of nowhere and covered his face.

"Cover yourself, 'aho. I don't want anyone ogling over your body."

Sakuragi blushed but did not retort. Instead, he went down to their supposed room, which Rukawa's warp mind would not let them use, to get his gift then hurriedly went back up thinking that he too did not want anybody ogling over his kitsune's uncovered body.

"Here," Sakuragi said, handing over a rectangular wrapped gift then proceeded to cover the lower half of their bodies with the blanket he used.

Curious, Rukawa sat up and opened the gift then his eyes lit up when he saw the content. "Hana, is this…?"

"Yeah… That's where I got the song," Sakuragi beamed.

This time it was Rukawa who almost went downstairs naked as he hurried to get his Discman from his bag. Once he got back up, he first placed the Discman on a safe enough place before lying none-to-gently on top of his pretending-to-be-asleep husband. "You can't sleep before I show you how much I love the gift, Hanamichi." He seductively whispered against the other's ear.

Honey brown eyes peered through long lashes before fully opening them when they met a pair of the most beautiful pair of sparkling sapphire eyes glinting mischievously. Reaching out, Sakuragi lovingly caressed the face above his as he said, "I'm glad you liked it, though, I'm sorry if it's the only thing I could give you."

The underlying meaning behind those words did not escape the raven head and again he felt the first stirrings of guilt, like he always did, whenever his 'aho would point their differences in stature. Capturing the hand that was caressing his face, he first placed a quick kiss on its palm before saying, "I don't care even if you have given me a gum, Hanamichi. What's important to me is YOU. You've given me the best gift I could ever wish for by marrying me."

"Kaede…"

"Sshh… Hush, Hana." Rukawa soothed, caressing the face before him when he saw the brown pupils glistening with tears.

"I'm not crying!" Sakuragi denied though he was rubbing his eyes free of its wetness.

Rukawa softly chuckled and said nothing. Rolling away from his lover, he picked up his Discman, connected it's output to the mini-speaker that he had also brought up, and after pressing play, a familiar song filled the upper deck of the yacht as he stare unseeingly out into the night.

Trying to hum along with the song, the redhead allowed his raven head lover to his own musings while gazed up into the sky. Being alone… Growing up without someone caring for him… The trials… The hardships of childhood… Those that he once had to bear alone… They were now no more, faded into nothingness now that he has Kaede.

"What are you thinking?" A voice cut through the silence.

Meeting a pair of blue eyes, "You" Sakuragi replied, smiling as he crawled behind the raven head. "I was just thinking how lucky I am to have you in my life."

Leaning back against Sakuragi, "Me too."

Lacing their hands together, Sakuragi placed his head on Rukawa's shoulder while cocooning the latter within their linked hands. "Do you think we could stay like this forever?" He questioned.

"Why? Do you still have doubts?"

"It's not that I have doubts but…"

"But what?" The brunette urged.

Kissing Rukawa's nape, "Do you know what my greatest fear is?" Feeling rather than seeing the other shake his head, "I fear that one day, you'd wake up and realize that you don't love me anymore," the redhead confessed.

Brows furrowed, Rukawa leaned sideways and turned his head to stare at his lover. But Sakuragi looked away. Exhaling, "Look at me, Hanamichi."

Reluctantly, the redhead turned his head and met Rukawa's gaze.

Unclasping one of his hands, Rukawa reached out and touched Sakuragi's face as he said, "Do you even know how much you mean to me?"

Seeing the solemn expression on his pale-faced lover, "You love me," he replied.

Shaking his head, "Loving you, being with you, cherishing every moment spent with you… I feel all of those and yet it's not all that I feel for you." Taking Sakuragi's hand, Rukawa placed it against his heart and said, "Feel that, Hana-kun? Mom and Dad may have given it life, but you gave it reason to live. Without you, I'm nothing. Without you, there's no happiness."

[Kaede…]

Gaze unwavering, heart thumping, and with a huge lump that had suddenly formed in his throat, Sakuragi sat motionless for a second before an overwhelming surge of love made him gather its recipient in his arms, holding him tight and never letting him go.

[God, if you're listening, please hear my plea. I don't need riches. I don't need glory. All I need and all that I wish for is for you to just let me have his love. Just Kaede's love and I'll never ask for anything else.]

Up in the sky, a lone star suddenly shone brighter than the rest and upon seeing it, the 18 year-old once resident bullhorn of Shohoku High smiled his thanks for he knew that someone up there heard his plea. With the last of his worries gone from his heart, he turned his beloved around so they would be facing each other. Clasping one hand into his, he looked directly into his lover's eyes and said, "Thank you for making this day the most wonderful day of my life, Kaede. And…" Leaning to place a lingering kiss on the pale forehead, "Thank you for loving me," he whispered, before lowering his lips to meet the ascending one's of his kitsune.

In the background, a different tune already replaced the one earlier played but no one took heed. Lips locked, arms entwined, bodies touching, the couple once again were lying naked under only a sheet of white as they celebrate their love by becoming one, in mind, heart, body and soul, under the moon's ethereal glow.

*************************************************

THE END

April 1st - THE GIFT © Yenny (April 01, 2002 - August 10, 2002)

*********************************************