Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Double Standards ❯ Tennis and Baseball Practice ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 6: Tennis and Baseball Practice

Shoyo (Kotori)

On the way to the basketball court in the gym, Kotori was stopped by a bunch of girls. Slightly taken aback by the group of anxious girls, she took a step back.

"Iris!!!" one of them shouted. "Where are you going?"

"I…"

"You have tennis practice today!!!!"

"Te…te…tennis?" Kotori stared at them apprehensively.

"Yes," The girl grabbed her arm quickly in hers. "What are you doing with Fujima-san anyways?"

"He was teaching me remedial class…"

Fujima stared at the group of girls and then at Kotori. He couldn't believe that she actually forgot about her tennis practice and agreed to come to the basketball practice instead. He did hear that she was a school champion in tennis.

"Whatever!!!!" Another girl cried as she grabbed another free arm. "We are late for practice."

"But…" Kotori looked over to Fujima helplessly. She had never played tennis in her life before.

"I'll see you later Kanzaki," Fujima said with a slight smile.

"But…" Kotori started to say again but was dragged away by the girls.

"…" Fujima watched them pulled Kotori away until they were all out of sight before he turned and left the other direction to the gym.

Kotori couldn't believe want she got herself into as the girls pull her away to the changing room to get changed and dragged her outdoors to the tennis court. They handed her a racket and pushed her out to the court.

"You will be playing against Ruko sempai today. She wants to test your ability in the next coming match!!!!"

"Ruko sempai?" Kotori stammered slightly.

"Our Captain silly!!!!" One of them answered before running out of the court.

"But..." Kotori cried trying to stop those girls from leaving her. "Wait, I can't…"

"You don't seemed very confident today Iris." Ruko said at the other side of the net. "Not like the Iris Kanzaki I know…"

Kotori gulped.

"Ok, let's start…" Ruko said and tossed the ball into the air and smashed it across the net towards Kotori.

Kotori shrieked, closed her eyes, swung the racket awkwardly and missed the ball.

The group of girls who were standing next to the court watching stared at her with their mouth hanging wide opened. Even Ruko stared at Kotori slightly astounded.

"Opps?" Kotori said uneasily.

There was a moment paused and silent before Ruko spoke again.

"We will try again."

She tossed the ball into the air again and hit it across the net towards Kotori. This time the ball hit Kotori's head instead.

"Itaiiiii!!!!"

Ruko frowned slightly.

"What is wrong with you Iris?!!!! Pay more attention to the ball!!!!"

"I'm trying!!!!"

"Why are holding the racket that way? You are holding it like it is a baseball bat instead of a tennis racket!!!!"

"It is because I play baseball not tennis…" Kotori mumbled under her breath.

"What did you say?" Ruko yelled.

"Nothing!!!!!"

"Let's do it again!!!!"

Ruko smashed the ball over to her as Kotori ran for it clumsily and missed. Without mercy Ruko hit another ball over to Kotori and hit her on the stomach. Shaking her head slightly, Ruko served again and this time Kotori fell as she ran over to the ball.

"Alright, TIME OUT!!!!" Ruko shouted. "Take a break Iris…"

Kotori left the court with relieve, as she walked away she heard the girls whispering and felt really awful.

"What is wrong with her?"

"She played like she was having elephant legs."

"I never knew she is so clumsy."

"It looks like she never plays tennis before."

Kotori sighed inwardly. It is true that she never played tennis before. Supporting the racket on her right shoulder, she walked away from the tennis court towards the school field. She looked through the fences where the field was separated from where she was and watched some students, boys and girls playing baseball. She smiled softly and walked over to the opening gate into the field.

How she missed the game. Shohoku High had one of the best baseball team in Kanagawa and she was one of their main players.

"SHIT!!!!" Kotori cried remembering that she was one of the main players of Shohoku. "Iris, will kill me for not telling her that!!!! And what will happened, when the matches starts!!!! Hitomi will kill me!!!!"

Hitomi the baseball captain who were always very strict with them and her main aim was to be the number one baseball team in Kanagawa, they got second in the running last year and Ryonan had first. Then her hopes were very high when Kotori came into the team.

Kotori sighed out loud.

"I guess it wasn't a very good idea to switch places after all."

"HEADS UP!!!!!"

Kotori turned swiftly to see the baseball came flying towards her direction. She raised her hand and caught it without difficulty.

"Whao!!!" A boy came running over to her. "Cool catch."

"Thanks…" Kotori mumbled tossing the ball over to him. "Girls and boys practice together?"

"Yup, we had only one couch so we group into a team and practice together." The boy said with a smile. "Hey aren't you Iris Kanzaki?"

Kotori nodded.

"I'm Botan Hikari." He introduced himself extending his hand to her. Kotori shook it. "You got a swift move over there. You should try out for the team."

"You are still looking for players?"

"Well, unfortunately the girl's team is still missing by one player. So if you are interested you can always try. But seeing you are in the tennis club I think…"

"Can I try out now?" Kotori asked eagerly.

"Huh?" Botan looked at her slightly surprised but smiled anyways. "Sure. Come down to the field."

________________________________________________________________ _______________

Fujima and the rest of the team came out of the gym after an hours practice for a break. They heard a loud uproar near the school field and curiously all of them went over to the fence to see what was going on.

"Isn't that Iris Kanzaki?" Hanagata asked.

"What?"

Fujima took a closer look into the field and sure enough he saw, Iris in her tennis outfit a white collared top and mini light green tennis skirt at the base. Her arm raised holding onto the baseball bat, with full concentration as she waited for the pitcher to toss the ball to her.

The ball went over to her fast and hard and without difficultly she swung her bat skillfully and the ball sailed high up and straight.

The basketball team watched with their mouth slightly ajar as their heads followed the ball as it flew high in the sky.

"HOME RUN!!!!!"

Fujima turned his attention back to Kotori astounded. He saw her punched the air and jumped up slightly.

"Yata!!!!" She cried happily.

"Way to go Iris!!!!" Botan cried running up to her. "You know you should join the team!!!!"

"I'm thinking I will."

Kotori grinned and looked towards the fences to see a group of very tall boys watching her. She spotted Fujima among them and she raised her hand up to wave at him.

Fujima was taken slightly aback at her gesture could only nod in returned as the rest of his teammates turned to stare at him unbelievingly.

"What?" Fujima asked.

"When did you and Iris Kanzaki are in such good terms?" Hanagata asked.

"None of your business." Fujima muttered turning away. "We have to continue practicing."

Fujima quickly entered the school gym feeling very confused with his feelings. While watching `Iris playing in the field, he admired the way she hold herself and how she had managed to get such a swift strong hit at the ball. Earlier he had asked her to come to see him practice and now when he saw the way she had waved at him. He couldn't help but feel of wanting to be with her.

________________________________________________________________ _______________

Shohoku (Iris)

Ringgggg!!!!

"Hey Kotori, you promised us that you will helped with our Bio project after school!!!" Yuriko called when Iris had already packed her bag and was rushing out the class.

"Are you in a hurry to go somewhere again?" Sasami asked watching the anxious looking Iris.

"Ermm, you see I… I…" Iris stammered slightly.

"Another catering service to do?" Yuriko asked sympathetically.

"Right," Iris agreed immediately. "And it's better that I am not late."

"Well, its ok then." Sasami said waving her off. "We will figure out something. Good luck!!!!"

"Thanks!!!!" Iris mumbled and ran out the class.

Sorry girls…. I can't help in Bio… I suck in it!!!! She thought silently.

As she hurried down the corridor she saw again the same bunch of girls, H.A.G around the corner and this time they were around the `Salivate Face' who looked extremely annoyed. She raised an eyebrow watching them slightly taken aback how this boy could attract them.

"Kotori!!!!!"

Iris nearly walked away even someone was calling her but stopped herself on time and turned to the person smacking her forehead inwardly. A very petite girl with her curly hair pin up with two pins at the side of her head was running up towards her. She blinked, wondering who the hell she was.

"Kotori, there you are!!!!" She shouted again and bent over her knees when she reached Iris taking deep breaths.

"Er…????"

"You promise to help me with my cooking classes!!!!"

The girl grabbed her hands in hers anxiously as she straightened up. She bent forward so close to Iris that she bent back slightly.

"Hah?!!!!!"

Cooking???? How many people does Kotori have to help?!!!!!"

"Kotori, you said you will!!!!" The girl was nearly in tears.

"Wha…" Iris blinked and asked softly and in defeat. "What did I say I will do?"

"A cooking competition is coming up and we need to think of some nice and unique food to serve the judges. You say you could help with the menu…"

Before Iris could answer she heard the most loathsome voice.

"Oh isn't that the nerd Kotori Sumire? And her squeaky friend Taika Risha"

She turned to the group of girls and saw Chiro the leader of the group talking to her. The curly haired girl, who Chiro had called Taika Risha quickly hid behind Iris when she saw Chiro.

So this is the curly hair girl's name, for once Chiro safe me from thinking who the hell she is but that doesn't mean it changes my opinion about her.

"Oh isn't that the Biggest Voice-box in school, Chiro Juiko." Iris said. She found out her name from Yuriko and Sasami. "Leave me alone I don't have time for you now!!!!"

Rukawa watched the screaming girls agitated when they surrounded him after class. He will be late for basketball practice and that was the last thing he needed now. They were side tracked when they heard someone called a girl by the name of Kotori. He looked up and saw the girl with glasses he saw during break. He was really amazed how she stood up towards this girl who had been giving him love letters since… he couldn't remember since when.

"You…." Chiro stammered slightly boiling up. "Watch your mouth!!!!! Do you know who I am?"

"Don't know don't care," Iris rolled her eyes looking bored. "I have a lot of other things to do. Now go and do whatever you always do, shout, scream and screeched till you loose your voice. That would be a blessing to us all!!!"

With that Iris turned away and walked off with Taika who looked worriedly and slightly afraid at Chiro who stared disbelievingly at Iris retreating back.

Rukawa walked off at the same time too, glad that Chiro had totally forgotten about him as he made his way to the changing room. For the first time, he saw someone shut Chiro up.