Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ The Girl That Time Loved ❯ No More Hiding ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I would like to give special thanks to yoriko sakura-chan, tensaispira, Ms. Joy Gavica, rurouni, Ian, and a very honest friend named Marc for their words support and encouragement, as well as all the wonderful people who took the time to read this humble piece of mine.

This is for you.

Iron kitty

"Hello, Uncle Tak, how are you today?"

"I'm fine, thank you. So how did the party go?"

"I had a pleasant time. All of my teammates were there, and I met a group of nice people."

"That's great! No one hit on you, did they?"

A laugh.

"No, although Mr. Miller and Fuji-san got hit by Miki-san and Sayuri-san's charms."

A chuckle.

"But they're nice, right?"

"Yes, very."

"I think that's kind of funny. Miller and Fuji's sons have always been good kids... What about Mitsui-san? How is he?"

Recollection.

"He asked me to teach him how to waltz."

"Really... I thought it was an informal college party."

"Indeed. But when asked to dance initially, I was unsure how to... and I think to make me feel better, he danced the way I knew how."

"That's very nice of him... I have a feeling this Mitsui-san of yours is quite smitten by you."

Crimson silence.

"Does he know about you?

"I... don't believe so."

"Will you tell him?"

Reticence.

"I am afraid to."

Understanding.

"Just take it one day at a time, Rei."

Cough.

"Are you feeling under the weather, Uncle Tak?"

"I'm fine... just catching a cold I guess."

"Please take care of yourself, Uncle Tak. The hospital is not the healthiest place to work in."

A chortle.

"Yes, Dr. Nakamichi."

"Uncle Tak..."

Pager beeping.

"I'm needed in the surgery room now, Rei. I have to go."

"All right then. I'll talk to you again soon."

"Okay. Oh, one more thing..."

"Yes, Uncle Tak?"

"Do you feel your move to your father's summer house in Kanagawa is a good idea?"

Reflection.

"I seem to be happier lately."

A sigh.

"That's how I feel, too." A pause. "Have a good day at school, Rei."

"Good luck with the surgery, Uncle Tak."

End transmission.

She was greeted by Mitsui and Akagi in front of the lecture hall. After seating themselves, Reiko's casually dressed guards took their usual positions by the entrance. The math professor entered the room clumsily, stumbling on an electric cord laying on the floor. After a moment of laughter from the class, the thin man pushed his glasses higher up the bridge of his nose and began to write on the blackboard. Both basketball players copied the seemingly endless lines of equation, and only after glancing sideways at Reiko did the shooting guard notice that she wasn't writing. Her eyes were fixed on the board, as if checking the professor's logic, her concentration focused on each stroke of the chalk against the board.

// I'm not surprised... she's a genius, after all... //

After filling 5 boards with equations, the professor stopped. "Please pick up the homework assignment I've placed by the entrance. It's due tomorrow, people."

Protests and groans filled the room. A voice piped out, "This isn't funny!"

The professor smirked. "Well, neither is tripping on an electric cord. Good day, folks."

He left the grunting crowd, pleased with the little gift of affliction he left them by the doors.

Akagi sighed. "Man, that wasn't cool. I still have to finish my organic chemistry homework!"

"He bit our asses this time," Mitsui said, packing up his notebook.

They filed in line to pick up the assignment sheet, their other classmates uttering silent curses at the pencil necked professor.

The guards met them outside as they looked over the problems listed on the sheet. Reiko broke the somber mood.

"It's not as bad as you think it is. I am confident that you two can finish this in an hour," she said, glancing down at the equations.

"I have an hour right now, but I doubt I can finish this in an hour," groused Akagi. "I wish I had your brain, Reiko-san."

"But Akagi-san, you do."

Surprised at the reply, the tall center leaned and whispered to the grinning shooting guard. "She scares me a little, Mitsui..."

"Man, just shut up and believe her. If I was able to do my homework last week without knowing anything, she can teach an ape like you to do a mere ten-question assignment!" Mitsui hissed back.

"If you let me take this hour from you two, I will show you just how much more you know than you think."

They were sold on her smile.

"Ah, you kids are so fired up with studying!" observed the old proprietor of the bakery, handing over three steaming mugs of his special brew.

"Thank you very much, Jii-chan."

The old man blushed and sighed. "Ah, to be complimented by such a pretty girl..." With stars in his old bright eyes he disappeared into the kitchen. The two men beside Reiko laughed.

"It must be hard being beautiful, huh, Reiko-san?" asked Akagi in a puckish tone.

"Yup, Jii-chan is member number 3 of the Reiko Fan Club," the shooting guard chuckled.

"Say, what's this? This tastes like heaven!"

She smiled. "That was my reaction, too, Akagi-san."

"Jii-chan calls it `Sunday Morning'. Like it?"

"I love it. But how come it's not on the menu?" asked Akagi.

"He only makes it for us," beamed Mitsui.

"Wow, the privilege of being the fan club's president..."

Reiko couldn't help but sigh. They were like a pair of little children finding fun in trivial things. Yet she liked being in this happy ambience. She took a sip of her drink and nibbled on a piece of kolache, sneaking a peek at the entrance of the bakery to see her bodyguards enjoying breakfast. She smiled.

After forty-five minutes, Akagi gawped at his finished homework like he had just witnessed miracle. Mitsui spied Reiko's hand by the side of her chair and gave it a soft squeeze, mouthing a silent `thank you'. She responded with surprised blue eyes.

"Reiko-san, how... how do you make things so easy? I can't believe it..."

"You can take that skirt off now, Akagi. I guess Reiko-san is right. We're a lot smarter than we thought."

"I will never doubt again," said the tall center, mock tears threatening to fall from the corner of his brown eyes.

She grinned and drank her Sunday Morning.

"What time is your game on Friday, Reiko-san?" asked the shooting guard.

"Three o'clock."

"Well, I guess I'll see you there," Mitsui said, winking at her.

"Do you not have a game as well, Mitsui-san?"

"Yeah, it's on Saturday, at two... in case you want to watch," the suddenly coy shooting guard mentioned as he glanced down, hopeful yet avoiding his stretch partner's gaze. She only smiled at him.

"Hey guys, I'm gonna be late for my organic chem class. Reiko-san, I am grateful for your help. I'll see you two later." Akagi got up and breezed through the door, waving at the bodyguards on his way back to class.

Reiko averted her eyes to the window next to their table. Not a cloud in the sky. It had been so for most of the time since she stayed at her family's summer home, and she didn't expect the weather to be so nice in Japan. Or perhaps it was just in Kanagawa.

It was nearly the end of October and the leaves on trees everywhere have completely changed their color from green to red. The air was getting cooler with each passing day, and one required a light sweater if one was to be outdoors.

That following afternoon, Mitsui met up with the rest of the basketball team who were already gathered in a stretching circle in the middle of the court. To his surprise, Coach Miwa yelled at him.

"What are you still doing here, Mitsui?! Get your butt to the annex gym now!"

"What? What happened?"

"Just go!"

He decided not to ask anymore questions for the coach could really give a mean and cold glare. Mitsui didn't understand, but he knew it had something to do with Reiko. He began to worry as he rounded the corner.

// Did something happen to her? //

Seeing none of the guards by the double doors, he busted through the doors, turning every head in the annex gym to him. His eyes frantically scanned the court for Reiko, and finding her talking to Sayuri and Miki threw the breaks on his racing heart. Sakai, watching from the balcony seats, gave Jackson an inquiring glance and was answered by a shrug. Fuji and Miller who sat by the bench could only raise their brows.

"Is everyone okay?" he stammered.

"Why wouldn't they be, Mitsui-kun?" asked Coach Sato, putting his clipboard away.

Reiko stepped forward and placed a hand on the shooting guard's muscled shoulder. "We're fine, Mitsui-san," she whispered, brow furrowed. "Are you all right?"

He heaved a sigh, feeling tired all of a sudden for worrying over nothing. "Yeah, I just... ah, don't mind me."

"Mi-chan, you're just in time for stretching," chimed Miki.

// So that's what coach meant... but how did he know... //

And so began their stretching, his beautiful stretch partner by his side counting off for all of them.

It was game day at the main gym. Coach Sato proudly looked at his team as they stretched for the five long sets ahead of them. They were all in their warm-ups and the ladies looked attractive in their uniforms of white and gold with matching golden ribbons in their braided hair. Mitsui stood by the volleyball coach, looking at the team roster and the starting line-up.

"Hey Sato-sensei, why isn't Reiko on the starting six?"

"When you go to battle, Mitsui-kun, you want the enemy to underestimate you. We don't have to let them know we've got a secret weapon just yet."

"Right... have you been reading Sun Tzu war books again?" the shooting guard cajoled.

"It worked for a general, let's see if it'll work for me this season. Oh, Mitsui-kun, do me a favor. After the ladies finish stretching, pull Reiko-chan aside and take her to the annex gym. Keep a low profile, though. I want you to warm-up with her there."

// Warm-up? //

All of a sudden his mind began traveling the path of imaginations verging on torrid intimacy...

"Mitsui-kun? Are you listening?"

"Huh? Yeah... oh, they're done now. Let me go get her."

"Thanks a bunch, Mitsui-kun."

The older guards watched Reiko from the sidelines and Mitsui told them of Coach Sato's idea first. He then called on her as her teammates craned their necks to watch the opposing team come out from the visitors' locker room. The spectators were filling the seats quickly, among them Akagi, Miyagi and Ayako. Fuji and Miller watched the court below from the balcony seats.

"Sato-sensei wants to keep you a secret, Reiko-san," the shooting guard said quietly.

She blinked at the idea and looked to Jackson and Sakai for explication.

"He just wants me to warm-up with you, that's all, although I don't know how much help I'll be. I'm not very good at volleyball," Mitsui confessed timidly.

The shooting guard let the way to the annex gym to find the volleyball net already set up with a rack of balls on the side. Coach Sato had thought of this plan beforehand. The guards waited outside the double doors.

"Um... so, how do you warm-up?" Mitsui asked, grabbing a ball off the rack and palming it easily in his hand.

She giggled and motioned for him to stand on the other side of the net facing her.

"Perhaps you can do this blocking exercise with me, Mitsui-san."

"All right. Show me how to do it."

"Jump straight up and down when I do, and try to push my hands back behind the net."

"Okay..."

And so ensued the drill, the two jumping in unison, touching hands over the net and pushing off against each other. Several minutes went by and Mitsui could notice the tiny grin on her lovely face whenever she pushed off against his hands. It looked like they were giving each other double high fives, and he was a little surprised at the warmth of her hands and strength behind each push-off. He studied her with each jump; her lips would slightly part with every leap, her skin glossing with light sweat, and her azure eyes fixed at her hands' contact against his. For a good moment he felt as if they were enacting the way things were between them: they've gotten close enough to be friends, and yet she always pushed off, separated herself, almost retreating into herself before she comes out to get close enough to do it all over again. She retreats... and he leaves her alone to think about her. He wondered if he really had that much patience before curiosity consumes him altogether. He was never like this before... why was his patience so drawn out? He clung to the hope that she had not forgotten his words at the party. Her smile was a silent reply that he prayed meant a promise to open up to him, to not be afraid, to not retreat. He hoped that she would consider what he said.

He was aware of the need for patience.

"Mitsui-san," she said, her breath ragged, "may we take a break?"

"Yeah, sure."

He sat beside her as she wiped the sweat off her brow with her sleeve.

"You're a good blocker, Mitsui-san," she complimented, still catching her breath.

"Maybe... but I'd do better as a receiver..." he said as he gasped for air.

Reiko raised her head and gave him a puzzled look. "Isn't that a player position in football?"

The shooting guard laughed and waved her off. "I was just being silly, that's all." His breathing was returning to normal, and he took a deep breath and sighed. "Man, the opposing team's not gonna know what hit `em. You're gonna shine tonight."

She smiled. "Do you believe in me that much?"

He winked. "You got it, and you better not forget it."

They sat in comfortable silence in the following moments, Mitsui staring into the sheen of the wooden floor and listening. He could hear the droning sound of the air conditioning vents and Jackson's words when they were last on the phone.

`I hope you're as mentally fit as you appear... because you are now at the point where others like you stopped and turned away after getting to know about her.'

He had thought of this when he got home from Miyagi's party, and it didn't make sense to him. Without his willing, his mouth opened to speak.

"Why did they turn away?"

He caught himself. // Shit, did I just ask her that? //

"I'm afraid I don't understand your question, Mitsui-san." She looked at him questioningly, and he knew it was too late to retract his inquiry.

"I'm sorry, Reiko-san. I promised no questions, I didn't mean to -"

"It's all right. Please repeat and explain your question and I will answer as best as I can."

Astonished and a little uneasy at her response, he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Are you sure? I don't want you to hate me afterwards."

She only smiled. "I will not hate you, Mitsui-san."

// All right, here it goes... //

"I... I'm sure I'm not the only guy on this earth who has tried to be close to you. Maybe it's because you're always with Jackson and the others, but... I just want to know... what Jackson-san meant when he told me that I am at the point where other like me stopped and turned away after getting to know you. I don't understand." Shuffling his feet, he ran his fingers through his hair. "Please don't be angry at Jackson-san for telling me," he said, almost a whispered plea.

The smile from her pretty face faded, her eyes closing upon hearing his last words, only to open and reveal crystal grey eyes. Mitsui cursed himself. He broke his promise.

"I had a feeling you thought of this before," she said, her voice barely audible. "And I understand now what you meant by being better as a receiver."

"Reiko-san, don't -"

He was silenced by the touch of her hand.

"You've been so patient with me, Mitsui-san. I can only imagine how patient you've been, putting your questions on hold for me."

He blinked and wondered if she could read his mind.

"I often wondered why your questions never came. Why did you not ask?"

He exhaled a heavy breath and tore his gaze away from her. "Because I made a promise to myself to keep your eyes blue, and right now I'm not doing a good job with keeping promises."

That unexpectedly made her smile faintly.

"Did you do it to protect me, Mitsui-san?" her voice quivered.

The shooting guard's heart fluttered, making him take his thick hand from hers only to enclose it in his.

"I only wanted you to trust me. I don't want you to have to answer to me if it only makes you unhappy."

Seconds passed like a day, her gaze fixed on the wooden floor.

"I cannot give you an answer with a simple explanation, Mitsui-san, but... but I will try. Those others you mentioned, they turned away because they didn't like my dismal circumstances. It was... for them.... a burden much too difficult to bear."

Before Mitsui could react to her words, the double doors opened slowly and Sakai's head poked in.

"Nakamichi-dono, they're calling the players for the line-up."

She stood, still looking at the floor, his hand reluctant and not letting go of hers. He could feel from her touch that she was controlling a maelstrom of emotion within her; she closed her eyes momentarily, as if to forget a scene only she could see in her mind. When she opened them, she spoke.

"I have to go now, Mitsui-san. Thank you for warming up with me." She made an effort to put her game face on despite the sad tone in her voice. "I'll do my best." She turned to him. "I apologize for making it hard on you... If you would like, you can ask me more questions after the game. I will not hide from you this time." And with that, she smiled at him with her soft eyes of gray.

"Are... are you sure?"

She nodded.

"After you lead Sato-sensei's team to victory?" his face lit, hoping she would catch the happy spirit that took hold of him.

"Whatever the outcome may be," she said quietly. "I promise." She held the pinky of her free hand out to the shooting guard. This was a contract, and he gladly intertwined his fifth digit around hers, sealing her promise with the act.

The shooting guard quickly stood and tugged at her hand. "Let's go then, Reiko-san. I'll race you to the main gym. The loser owes the winner another promise!" he said, getting a head start.

Her startled eyes waxed glints of blue as she saw him break away. "Hey, wait!"

They ran to the door, startling the two waiting guards as they breezed through and around the corner, laughing and chasing each other like children.

"Ladies, I'm sure you remember this team we're about to play," said Coach Sato, drawing circles on his clipboard. "They will always use two setters on the court, so watch out for the right side hitter. Nanami-chan, Sayuri-chan, I want the ball set to the outside hitters, tire their middle blockers out. Miki-chan, Kaname-chan, defend the sidelines here and here. Rika-chan, close the gap with the blocks, when you see an opening, call for a quick play. And Yuki-chan, the back court is yours. All right, ladies, show me how much you've improved. It's all up to you," he said, clipboard forgotten and both palms held out. The whole team piled their hands in a heap onto his. "Team, on three. One, two, three -"

"TEAM!" they cheered in unison.

Mitsui sat on the outermost seat next to Coach Sato with a stat clipboard in hand. The coach figured that since he was always around the team he could help mark down the stats. A simple enough task, the shooting guard was told what was what and anticipated the start of the game.

"Sato-sensei, wasn't this team ranked third in the region?" Mitsui asked.

"Yeah, and it's going to be great when we kick their ass!" he replied quietly yet excitedly. The girls on the bench giggled at his response.

Two sets passed and Coach Sato's team lost both sets. They were behind five points in the third set to the opposing team's eight. The girls glanced worriedly at their coach who still kept a grin on his face.

"Do you think Sato-sensei is okay, Reiko-chan?" whispered a teammate sitting beside her.

"He appears happy," she answered, glancing over the coach.

A few moments later, Coach Sato stood and signaled for a substitution at the referee.

"Reiko-chan, please go in for Kaname-chan," he said as he waved at the left outside hitter on the court.

As they met at the sidelines for the bottom referee to mark numbers off a card, Kaname gave Reiko's shoulder a squeeze. "Show them what you've got, Reiko-chan!" she winked.

The ball was jump served and Yuki dug it, passing it to a ready Nanami. She set the ball sailing to the outer left just as Reiko liked it, and everyone on the court, even on the bench, held their breaths as they watched Reiko sprint to jump and hit the ball with explosive force over the opposing blockers' hands. It hit the floor with a resounding thud just a few inches within the ten-foot line, and the other team was shaken by the feat.

The girls on the bench cheered madly as they watched the five on the court huddle around Reiko to exclaim encouragements at her, congratulating their attention-weary teammate on her first awe-inspiring kill that compelled the spectators to rise from their seats in amazement.

Almost every ball went to Reiko, and she put it away every time, frustrating the opposing team and its coach to no end. As Coach Sato predicted, the tide turned for his team and they were winning the third set.

An hour later the annex gym was empty save for a few stragglers, among them Mitsui, Akagi, Miyagi and Ayako. Coach Sato and his ladies won, placing them in the spotlight of the collegiate sports world and raising their rank in their district. It was a jubilant afternoon.

The four bodyguards waited by the ladies' locker room and greeted Reiko with compliments as she walked out the door. The smile she gave them was sincere and grateful, a warming gesture. They met up with Mitsui and his friends and was again showered with compliments. This was not something new to her, it all happened before in a different setting. But she never got used to the attention. She thanked them for coming to see the game.

Miyagi and Ayako asked them if they wanted to celebrate their victory, but she politely declined.

"I'm afraid I promised someone an interview," she said, smiling at the puzzled point guard.

"Well, I guess you gotta go then... oh, you're coming to our game tomorrow, right?" asked Akagi in a childlike tone, Miyagi and Ayako joining in the chorus.

"Please, Reiko-san?" the sweethearts cooed.

Reiko looked to Jackson who gave her a slight nod.

"Yes, I'll be there."

"Great! Well, we've got practice, so have fun on your interview," Akagi said with a thumbs up as they walked out of the gym.

As they disappeared from her sight, Reiko's heart increased its pace at the thought of what the next few hours held for her. Shock? Rejection, perhaps? Regret? It would be a gamble, and she often lost at it. The stakes would be great; she was rather fond of Mitsui's company. Should he step back and turn away after all his questions, her heart and mind would be prepared to pay the price, but she wouldn't count the cost, for in the end she will have revealed the past she painstakingly dealt with for a decade now. It was acceptable to come out of hiding once in a while. Would it really be all right to be seen vulnerable, she wondered. She would find out. She will take the good memories with the bad. With a person such as Mitsui, she thought, the outcome is unpredictable.

A tap on her shoulder drew her out of her thoughts. Reiko turned to see Mitsui's handsome face smiling softly at her. "Where would you like to have our little `interview', Reiko-san?" he asked, his expectant gaze yielding to her bluish gray eyes.

Looking at the gym clock, she took a moment to decide.

"Mr. Jackson, would it be possible for Mitsui-san to visit the house?"

Jackson raised his brows at the request, and the rest of the guards were surprised as well.

"Y-yes, that would be very possible, Nakamichi-dono," his bass voice answered, Jackson flashing Reiko a rare smile.

Sakai and Miller led the way through the exit, Mitsui walked beside Reiko and the two remaining guards followed. While the black vehicle was retrieved, Reiko and Mitsui could hear the broad-shouldered Jackson bedevil a red-cheeked Fuji with taunts of how goofy-eyed he looked at `his Sayuri-chan' during the game, all the while growls of dripped from the younger guard's mouth. It was uncommon to see this playful side of Jackson, she thought.

Mitsui sat beside his stretch partner, and their hands collided as they buckled themselves in their seats. Whispering an apology, she withdrew her hand. As she looked out the window past the treetops, she felt a warm hand clutch hers gently, and as she turned her head, the shooting guard whispered into her ear.

"Apology accepted," he hushed, punctuating his response with a quick light press of his thick hand.

Letting her hand remain in his clutch, her gaze went back to the treetops that seemed to fleet past her. She found herself smiling at the blue sky above. She had an odd feeling. This patient person holding her hand will be different from the others, she thought.