Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Unrequited Love ❯ A "DATE" to Remember ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Note: This is my first Slam Dunk yaoi fanfic. I wrote this for my sister who is still obsessed with SD yaoi fanfics (and now she's got me into that mode too!). There will be a lot of OOC-ness (and now, when I say OOC, I really do mean it!) in Kaede, I hope you don't mind. Thank you in advance for bearing with my craziness. And before I really forget, I want to thank shi-chan, OrOoo, Yuuki, and RuSen no Ai for reviewing my work!!! Domo!!!

Unrequited Love

Chapter Two

A "DATE" To Remember

The skies were perfectly blue, and the clouds were perfect too. The birds were chirping sweetly in the trees, and the wind was blowing softly. The people in Shohoku High were unmindful of these things around them, because they were too busy beating each other up, or attending to their usual duties. But the unusual scenery did not escape the chocolate brown eyes of Kogure Kiminobu. But of course, it was usual for him to notice such splendor.

But what the students noticed was the glow that radiated from a certain blue-eyed first year. Rukawa Kaede, who usually slept throughout the whole class, was now wide-awake and taking down notes that their history teacher was asking them to jot down. Now there was something that you wouldn't see everyday.

The teacher seemed to notice the change in his student, and praised him.

"Yogatta, Rukawa! It's good that you have taken interest in studying! Slept well last night, I suppose?"

Rukawa stopped writing and nodded politely at his sensei. "Hai, sensei. I had a very good night indeed."

A look of shock passed every face of every student in the room as well as the teacher's. They could not believe that in all their months of existence in the said classroom, they would hear Rukawa Kaede speak in a polite manner. But, Rukawa was all too happy to notice that his classmates were staring at him in the most incredulous way possible. The memories of last night's events were still freshly embedded in his mind.

The day went by without any difficulty, thank you very much. The afternoon came and Rukawa, who was usually earlier than Hanamichi in the court, was later than everyone else.

"Kogure, have you seen Rukawa?" asked the captain of the team.

Kogure shook his head. "As matter of fact, no. I haven't seen him all day."

Mitsui passed the ball to Kogure. "It's kinda weird, y'know? He's usually the first one to come in."

"Nyahahahahahahahaha!!! We don't need that Kitsune!!! You already have the tensai!!! Nyahahahahahaha!!!"

"If he's a 'tensai' I wonder what we are… a god?" Miyagi asked, snickering.

"Hey! I heard that!" Sakuragi shouted making his way to Miyagi, but was cornered by Akagi.

"ITAI!! GORI!!!"

Everyone laughed as the usual bickering began. Sakuragi rubbed the spot on his head where Akagi hit him. It was very sore… more than he expected it to be.

"You shouldn't have done that, Gori! You'll destroy the great ten…"

"Say that again and you'll get a bigger bump in the head," Akagi warned the first year.

"Eh, the do aho's at it again?"

Everyone turned around and saw the missing member of the basketball team, a blue duffel bag on his left shoulder and five books were on his right hand.

"Kaede-kun!" Kogure exclaimed, earning questioning looks from his teammates, "Where were you? I thought this is one thing you'd never be late at."

Rukawa flashed Kogure a smile that made Sakuragi's jaw drop, Mitsui rub his eyes, Miyagi slap his face, and Akagi pinch himself.

"I went to the library, Kimi-kun. Had too much homework to research. I'll just change, ne? Gomen for being late, minna!" he said, rushing to the locker room.

"Kaede-kun?" Sakuragi asked, looking at Kogure.

"Rukawa smiling?" said Miyagi, not even believing his own eyes and ears.

"When did the word 'library' and 'Rukawa' start to be in a sentence?" Akagi asked.

"Did he just call you 'Kimi-kun', Kogure?" Mitsui asked the already blushing vice captain.

"I never thought I'd see the day that Rukawa Kaede would study by himself. What exactly did you do, sempai?" asked Ayako.

"I didn't do anything! We just went out…"

Mitsui shook his head in disbelief. "You went out with the Ice Prince when you never said yes to me? You are so unfair, Min-kun!"

"Earth to Mitsui! If my memory serves me right, I invited you to come to the amusement park last night and YOU DECLINED!" Kogure pointed out. "And when did you start calling me 'Min-kun'?"

"What right has Rukawa have to call you 'Kimi-kun'?" Akagi asked.

"Not you too, Akagi!" Kogure said exasperatedly.

"Tell me, Megane-kun, did you poison the kitsune last night?"

"Sakuragi-kun!"

"Eh, Akagi-sempai? Aren't we going to practice yet?"

Everyone turned his or her gazes to the speaker. It was Rukawa, already geared up for the day's activities.

"Saa… Akagi, Kaede-kun is right. We are wasting precious time, gossiping here."

Akagi cocked an eyebrow at Kogure, knowing that the latter only said that to escape from further questioning. He nodded and turned to the others, shouting that the practice would start any minute. Kogure sighed.

"Arigato, Kaede-kun," he whispered to the junior.

"Doshite, Kimi-kun? I did nothing."

"You did more than you know."

Rukawa looked at him questioningly but Kogure just smiled at him.

"Hey, Min-kun! I'll walk you home later, ne? No 'buts' and 'nos'!"

Kogure raised an eyebrow at Mitsui's remark. "Alright then. But you'll have to buy me a snack."

"Sure thing, Min-kun." Mitsui said, once again emphasizing the last word. "C'mon, Rukawa. I'll be your partner today. You won't mind, won't you?"

Rukawa smiled at him "I wouldn't mind, Mitsui-sempai." Then he turned to look at Sakuragi, who was practicing with Miyagi, resuming his usual deadpan voice. "As long as it's not that do 'aho."

"HEY! I HEARD THAT KITSUNE!"

"Do 'aho. Saa, Mitsui-sempai," he said, turning to smile at Mitsui, "let's start, shall we?"

Mitsui blinked. What exactly happened last night? What happened that made Rukawa like this today? This is sooo weird!!!!

"I'll call you later, ne Kimi-kun? I need help with biology. I really don't understand the genetics thingy," Rukawa said, flashing another smile at Kogure.

"Sure, Kaede-kun. I'll hopefully be home by then," Kogure replied, giving Rukawa a smile that melted the latter's heart like ice cream.

With that, Rukawa bid Kogure and Mitsui goodbye. Both seniors waved back at him, and then started to walk towards the coffee shop.

"What was that all about, Min-kun?"

"What?"

"Tell me what happened last night, Min-kun. Tell me what made Rukawa's attitude change."

Kogure sighed. "Even I don't know what made his attitude change suddenly, Hisashi-kun. Last night, when all of you went home, I asked him if he'd like to come with me to the amusement park."

"And he said yes?"

Kogure nodded. He went on telling Mitsui what happened the night before as they went inside the coffee shop. Mitsui was throwing comments time and again making Kogure blush or look at him sternly. For Mitsui, it was fun seeing his best friend so confused like that. Kogure was always so calm and smiling like everything was very understandable. Even Rukawa and Sakuragi's daily bickering. But what made Mitsui laugh hard was when Kogure was narrating the Ferris wheel part. Kogure began to blush deep red when he said that Rukawa held his hand.

"Ow, stop laughing, Hisashi!"

"*laugh* How can I? *laugh* You look *laugh* so adorable! *laugh* I didn't know you could *laugh* You could blush *laugh* like that! *laugh*"

"Oi! You're supposed to listen to me! Not laugh at me! You're so mean!"

"Fine, fine. I'm mean, then," he said, trying hard to suppress his laughter.

Kogure frowned at him again for the nth time since they got there. Mitsui, seeing the frown on the usual smiling face, forced himself to keep his face straight.

"Are you finished laughing?"

"Wha… oh, yes. Gomen. Anou, Min-kun, why did you blush?"

"I don't know…"

Mitsui shook his head. They were getting nowhere with this. "Do you like Rukawa?"

"NANI?! Just what do you mean by that, Hisashi-kun?"

"It's pretty simple, Min-kun… DO. YOU. LIKE. RUKAWA."

"I… I… It's just that… I'm not used to being held like that…"

"Oh c'mon! I hold your hand more times than he would ever do! And you never even the slightest blush at that! Oh, maybe you did… when were first years."

"You don't understand…"

"I know, I know. I was just asking, alright? Well, maybe you don't have this crush thing for Rukawa, but he certainly seems that he has a crush on you, vice captain."

"Oh, shut up, Hisashi-kun!" Kogure reprimanded him, quite pissed off now. "How could someone like Rukawa Kaede like me? He's an ace, for God's sake!"

Mitsui raised an eyebrow at Kogure's remark and said indignantly, "So basically you're telling me that just because he's great and all, there's no chance for a guy like you to be the apple of the eye of someone like him? Get real, Kogure! I was an ace like him before and I noticed how great a person you are! Heck, you were there for me though we just met!"

Kogure's face was flushed as Mitsui stopped talking. Suddenly the floor became interesting enough for Kogure to stare at it. He couldn't think of anything to tell Mitsui that would be coherent and believable. His eyes became somewhat unfocused and he couldn't understand why. Mitsui sighed. Maybe he had said too much. He reached from across the table to hold Kogure's hand. A soft smile curved his lips as Kogure raised his eyes to meet his.

"Kiminobu, you are such a great person, and I owe my life to you. I'm sorry for teasing you about the Rukawa episode, okay?"

A small smile lit up in Kogure's face as he nodded. Mitsui's smile became broader this time as he tightened his grip on Kogure's hand.

"Ne, Hisashi-kun, when did you start calling me 'Min-kun' in school? I thought we agreed on calling each other by our first names when we were outside of the court?"

Mitsui laughed lightly at first then pouted at Kogure. "You are so unfair, Min-kun! You let the kitsune call you by your first name but you won't let your best friend do so? Favoritism…"

Kogure shook his head, laughter in his eyes. "You're hanging around Sakuragi-kun too much, Hisashi. Alright. Call me what ever you like."

"Yosh!" Mitsui exclaimed happily, a teasing glint in his eyes. "Koibito, then?"

"MITSUI!!!" Kogure exclaimed as he reached across the table to strangle the shooting guard.

"Just joking, Kiminobu!!!!!" Mitsui shouted as he held his hands up in defense.

"Are you listening to me, Kaede-kun?" Kogure asked for the nth time that night.

Rukawa blinked sleepily and rubbed his eyes. "Gomen ne, Kimi-kun. I just can't seem to focus myself in studying these… kind of things."

Kogure was at the Rukawa residence for the third time that week. It frustrated him that Rukawa wasn't really learning anything because he was sleeping all the time. He sighed. Day one of their tutoring ended up in playing basketball near Rukawa's house. Day two was a bit more encouraging, in Kogure's point of view. Rukawa barely let his eyes close as Kogure did everything he knew to make the guy awake. And as they finished, with Rukawa finally drowsing off a bit, Kogure announced that they would be eating out as a reward for staying up. Rukawa became fully awake because of this. Now, Kogure was wondering if he should do that trick again to get a nicer response from the other small forward. Maybe I should consider calling Hisashi-kun up to help me…

Rukawa sighed. How could he tell his Kimi-kun he loves him if he couldn't keep his damn eyes open! Another sigh. Last night, he was awake because of the fact that Kogure told him that they were going to eat out if he opened his eyes. He could use one now but that was already too much to ask from the vice captain. It was time to give something to Kogure as his reward.

"Kimi-kun, maybe we should catch a movie, my treat, before we proceed in studying. I solemnly promise I'll stay awake and study hard! What do you think?"

Kogure checked his watch. It was only 6:30 in the evening and the mall, he was quite sure, was still open. He sighed again. If this was the only way to have Rukawa awake for his long test the next day then…

"Alright. We'll see a movie BUT you will have to keep your eyes open when we get home, okay?"

Rukawa's face lit up at this, his lips curving into a big smile. "Yogatta! Come, I'll just get my jacket and wallet!"

Kogure shook his head as the blue-eyed boy rushed to get his things. Then, he reached for his smiley covered 3310 cell phone, which was lying on top of kitchen table and began to text:

Hisashi, don't pick me up at Kaede-kun's house later. I may come home very late. We're just going out to watch a movie first, then we'll study after. Don't worry, I'll be fine. I'll call you when I get home.

After texting the message, he sent it to Mitsui's cell phone number, just in time to see Rukawa emerge from his room, excitement very much evident in his face.

"Let's go Kimi-kun! We might be late!"

"So, what are we going to watch, Kimi-kun?" Rukawa asked, scanning the posters in front of them.

Kogure shrugged as he also scanned the posters in front of them. There were four movies: A Walk To Remember, Spiderman, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, and Scooby Doo, Where Are You?. Kogure was very sure that Rukawa wouldn't pick A Walk To Remember since Rukawa wasn't that type of guy who'd like sweet movies. Nor did Rukawa want to watch Scooby Doo, in Kogure's opinion. But I've already watched Spiderman and Star Wars with Hisashi! What to do, what to do…

"Saa… I've already watched Spidey and The Clones on DVD… anoune, A Walk To Remember, sempai?"

Kogure's eyes widened in shock and his jaw dropped a few centimeters. Were his ears playing a trick on him?

Rukawa lifted the straw of his drink to his lips, sipped a small amount of his iced tea and said, "Well, I just thought you'd like to see the movie because you've already read the book."

If it was even possible, Kogure's already shocked eyes widened some more. "How did you know that I read Nicholas Sparks' A Walk To Remember?"

Rukawa lowered his eyes, willing himself not to blush and not to give away what he really felt. "I saw you reading it once while the team was practicing."

"Oh…"

Never, and he meant NEVER, in his entire time of knowing Rukawa Kaede did he think that his junior was this observant to even notice him reading a book. It was unusual, Kogure thought, for this frigid blue-eyed boy to like sappy, romantic movies. But it seemed like he was learning more about this 'kitsune', as Sakuragi had put it.

"Are you sure that you want to watch that movie with me?" Kogure asked. "A friend told me that it's nicer to watch it with someone special."

A sweet smile graced Rukawa's lips. You're more than special to me, Kimi. "Well, you're special enough, Kimi-kun," he said, winking at his senior.

Kogure felt his cheeks redden a little bit, but he quickly hid it with a particularly nervous smile. Rukawa turned around and led the way to the ticket booths. He bought two tickets for a lovers' seat because there were no other seats available. Apparently, the Gods have been listening to Rukawa's silent requests.

"We're just in time," Kogure whispered, taking a seat beside the Shohoku ace.

Kogure shifted in his seat, moving closer to Rukawa, making the super rookie the least bit comfortable. His heart was pounding hard in his chest, making him unable to even breathe. He couldn't even concentrate on the film. All he could think about was the love of his life sitting beside him.

The film was nearing its end. Mandy Moore was dying. And even though Rukawa was already close to tears with what was happening in front of him, he still maintained an ice-like composure. Mainly it was because he was still uncomfortable with his Kimi-kun so close beside him. Rukawa was still contemplating on his own thoughts when he heard a slight sob beside him. He glanced at the vice captain. In the dim light, he could make out tears form the senior's eyes. Apparently, Kogure was really touched by the film. The sobbing became more audible and Rukawa thought that it would be just right to comfort Kogure right now.

What?! How could I do that?! I'm not the expressive kind of guy…

Trust your feelings, Kaede, a thought that came from somewhere in his unconscious mind.

Trust my feelings?

He saw Kogure clutching his handkerchief tightly, wiping his eyes once in a while.

Trust your feelings, Kaede. If you don't, you might regret it all your life.

Trust my feelings…

Yes…

Shaking nervously, Rukawa put his arm around Kogure's shoulder, feeling his senior stiffen a bit as the blue-eyed small forward tried to silently coax the vice captain to lean on him. Kogure seemed to feel the comfort of having Rukawa's arms around him and leaned into Rukawa's chest, puffy eyes still on the big screen.

He's so warm…

Kogure's face suddenly turned into the deepest shade of red possible. What am I thinking?

Soft music began to play in Kogure's mind. The melody not coming from the movie theme.

I don't know what it is that you've done to me

But it's caused me to act in such a crazy way

He felt Rukawa's grip tighten as the movie went on with its dramatic climax. He snuggled closer wanting to feel the comfort that Rukawa was giving him.

Why am I doing this? This is not supposed to be a date! And we're nothing but friends!

Just friends? Then why are you blushing like that? Someone from his unconscious countered.

Whatever it is that you do when you do what you do to me

It's a feeling that I want to stay

Rukawa looked down at Kogure, sapphire eyes meeting cinnamon ones. Both small forwards held that gaze, their hearts thumping fast against their rib cages. Each of them felt the warmth in each other's gaze, in each other's arms.

Kaede…

Kiminobu…

Now my heart starts beating triple time

With thoughts of loving you on my mind

I can't figure out just what to do

When the cause and cure is you

Questions pooled into Kogure's brain. What the hell am I doing? I'm not supposed to be doing this! Kaede is just my friend…

How long are you going to stick to that lie, Kiminobu?

I'm not lying! It's the truth!

Then why are staring at him with so much love and compassion? Why is your heart beating more than it's normal rate? Why are you blushing?

I'm not used to…

Not used to what? To being comforted and held close? Don't tell me Hisashi doesn't do that.

He does… but the feeling is different when it comes form Kaede. He makes me feel …

I get so weak in the knees I can hardly speak

I loose all control

And something takes over me

In a daze, you look amazing

Kogure reached out to touch Rukawa's face, forgetting everything, completely losing himself. Rukawa, though shocked at what was taking place, leaned on Kogure's soft hands caressing his face. A small smile crept into Kogure's lips.

You're so handsome, Kaede…

It's not a phase

I want you to stay with me, by my side

I swallow my pride

Rukawa reached to hold Kogure's hand, the one that was currently holding his face. His Kimi-kun was holding his face so gently that he couldn't care any less that he was already blushing in front of Kogure. He didn't even care if he died right now, but of course he wouldn't like that right now. Right now, all that mattered that he was holding his Kimi-kun close and that he was looking straight into his eyes, caressing his cheek.

Your love is so sweet

It knocks me right off of my feet

Can't explain why your love just makes me weak

Both of them stayed in that position, forgetting that the two of them weren't alone. They even forgot that they were watching a movie. And that the movie just ended.

The lights suddenly lit up, to their surprise. Kogure put down his hand, well away from Rukawa's face. He started to try and compose himself. But he was failing miserably.

"I think we should be heading home, Kaede-kun. We have a lot of studying to do," Kogure said, standing.

Rukawa nodded glumly. "Yeah. Long test tomorrow."

Kogure turned to look at the other small forward. "That was a great movie, don't you think so?' he asked, smiling.

Rukawa blinked. "Yes it was," he replied, returning the smile.

"What time did you go home last night, Min-kun? You told me that you'd call me once you get home, but you never did. I fell asleep waiting for your call!" Mitsui said indignantly.

Kogure smiled, the same smile that he had given Rukawa the night before. "You don't have to worry, Hisashi-kun. I am still in one piece. And I came home very late. I didn't want to wake you up."

It was just a day after Kogure's 'date' with Rukawa. Mitsui went to Kogure's house so that he could walk with the small forward to school. He was extremely worried when Kogure didn't call him when he got home and couldn't wait to talk to him.

Mitsui looked sternly at Kogure. "What time EXACTLY did you come home, Kiminobu?"

Kogure looked down, refusing to meet Mitsui's eyes. "About one in the morning."

"WHAT?! What were you exactly thinking, Min-kun? It's too dangerous for you to come home at such an hour!" Mitsui exclaimed, turning the corner that lead to Shohoku High.

Kogure sighed resignedly. How could he tell Mitsui what exactly happened last night without making himself someone who has fallen in love with his junior? Which is not tru, in his opinion. he couldn't possibly fall in love with Rukawa Kaede. Can Mitsui possibly understand what he felt for the younger boy? - And that was only friendship, only in a deeper sense.

"I'm sorry, Hisashi. I… we got carried away with studying. I won't go home that late next time, alright?"

Mitsui tried to look straight into Kogure's eyes but the other wouldn't. There was something that Kogure was hiding, Mitsui was sure of it. And he would find that out, one way or another. He wasn't Kogure's best friend for nothing.

"Okay. Min-kun, don't forget our lunch date today!" Mitsui exclaimed as he went inside his classroom.

"Did I promise I'd have one, Hisashi-kun?"

The three-pointer winked at Kogure. "Sure you did. Ja!"

The vice captain shook his head and smiled. Whenever Mitsui was around, he could light up the room. He had this certain gravitational pull around him that made it impossible for anyone not to notice the shooting guard. And he, Kogure Kiminobu, was blessed and honored that Mitsui Hisashi, Akagi Takenori, and Rukawa Kaede were his best friends.

Kogure stopped short. Where the hell did the name Rukawa Kaede come in?

Author's silly notes: *smiling triumphantly* It's finally finished! It took me so long because school already started, but it was worth it. I'm so glad that the four above have reviewed my work! Please continue to read and review, my dear readers! DOMO ARIGATO!

Disclaimers: Slam Dunk is still not mine, unfortunately. Even the movies and the song 'weak'. I don't own anything BUT the story is MINE.

yyh2116

21Jn2k2

3:21p