Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ When You Believe ❯ Part 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

He heard the familiar sound of basketball as he was about to open the door to the gym. He felt anticipation flowing all over him, his heart pounding in his chest. Suddenly his hands felt sweaty, his whole body turning cold and clammy. He was very nervous at the prospect of seeing her and spending time with her again.

Of all the people he knew, or rather, knew him, she was the only one who made him feel like a first grader, who for the first time, saw the girl of his dreams. It was unnatural for him to anticipate a person's company, much more, enjoy a conversation, for he was as silent as the walls that made up the gym and as mysterious as the depths of the ocean.

He walked inside the gym, pretending to care nothing about his teammates, who were wrestling with each other. It wasn't new to him; the only time he ever noticed them was when Ryota, the captain of the team, flirted with Ayako. When he saw this, jealousy kept threatening to break free from its confinement in his heart, wounding his heart and pride for he knew Ayako loved him as much as he loved her, yet they could not be together because of certain issues.

Throughout their team's practice, he wished that somehow she would speak to him long enough, even a word of criticism directed to his play would be most welcomed, as long as it was from her own mouth. It wasn't like Ayako ignored him or didn't talk to him; she was their manageress after all. She just didn't pursue longer conversations much and when she did, it was always about the team and not about the two of them. He always secretly hoped that one day, Ayako would talk to him about their history together, and when that happened, he would welcome her with open arms. Yet he knew, that somehow, it would be impossible because both of them had to recover, both of them had to, somehow, forget each other and move on.

This hurt him because he didn't want her to forget him the same way that he didn't want to forget her. He would have fight for their relationship at the cost of his life if she had only requested it; however, as much as he wanted to, she never wished him to do so nor uttered anything to defend their relationship when her parents demanded that she should leave him and her love for him. She simply told him, in a strained voice, that they were not meant to be and after that, she had left him, their promises to be together forever shattered to pieces.

"You've improved a lot!" Ayako told him cheerfully after practice had ended. He nodded, acknowledging what she said. He would have treated her in a less hostile way if only those do'ahos weren't there, present in the gym, making a hell of a lot of noise. She gave him a pat on his back that sent shivers on his spine. How he wished that it was only the two of them left in the gym but Ryota and the rest were there, laughing and teasing each other.

He watched Sakuragi having a fight with Mitsui. He chuckled inwardly, remembering all too well that they, he and Ayako, met in the same fashion, arguing with each other. It happened at an orphanage eleven years ago…

Flashback

He was with his parents at the orphanage. Sulkily, he watched the children playing here and there. His parents were talking to two grown-ups that were uttering words in a weird language, though he later found out that they were speaking in Chinese, including his parents. The two grown-ups, which he assumed was married, also brought a child with them, a girl with curly hair who was bouncing up and down, the same way as he was doing.

" Why are you copying my every moves?" he asked the girl, annoyed. He stopped bouncing and placed his hands on his hips. The other girl also proceeded to do the same.

" I am not!" the girl replied, indignant. "You are the one who's copying me!"

Both of their parents stopped talking for a while to watch the two of them. They were smiling at them, as if pleased by their actions. Then, his mother spoke, "I see that you're acquainting yourself with their daughter, Kaede. Be good to her. Ayako's a nice child."

He snorted at hearing what his mother said. After a while, he found a toy to play with in order to kill boredom. He got Ayako's attention and soon, the two of them were having a fight over the toy. He ran as fast as he could while Ayako was after him, screaming at him to give the toy. He stopped to look back at her, only to stick his tongue out that fueled Ayako's annoyance.

Suddenly, he fell, scraping his knee badly. Ayako got the toy and stood proudly in front of him, causing him to bawl for his parents. However, he ran too far from them, as the orphanage was a big place. Ayako then looked at him with pity, assuming that his wound must have hurt.

"Daijobu?" She let go of the toy to inspect the wound on his knee. It looked terrible and Ayako, having visited the orphanage for almost two years, knew where the first aid kit was placed. She got it and treated his wound carefully that made him stop crying. "There!"

He sniffed and looked at her with tears in his eyes. "I hate the sight of blood. I wish we'd never bleed when we get wounded," he told her, sniffing again. "But there's no such thing, ne?

Ayako smiled as she sat beside him. "There are persons who don't actually bleed. And because of that they ask for blood from their people. Those people are the Chinese Gods."

He looked at her in disbelief. "No way! Anyway who would offer their blood to them?"

"According to my parents, they grant a person's wishes if that person offers them blood. Gods also ask for blood in exchange of their blessing over them like the emperor. When he thinks that his nation is in danger, they offer human sacrifice to please the Gods," she told him.

"Wow," he said in an awed voice. "How did you know that?"

"Well, I am Chinese."

He shook his head. "You don't look like one."

She laughed. "That's what they always say."

After that conversation, they became close friends, as both of their parents were into charity, often donating food and clothes to the orphanage. They always met at the orphanage and both parents were glad at Kaede's friendship with Ayako, as their parents were family friends.

End of Flashback

He could still remember the two of them growing up. His parents died before he turned 12, which caused him to become the quiet person he is now. He was left at the care of his older sister and sometimes, Ayako's parents came to see him, as they had grown fond of him. At the death of his parents, Ayako and him became close friends, as Ayako was a year older than him, making her much more experienced which caused her to be the shoulder he would lean on. Ayako was the only person who he treated in a friendly manner after his parents' death. Their friendship caused him to even enter the same school Ayako was in which was Tomigaoka.

The moment he entered that school, people fussed over him like a celebrity. Lots of people tried to befriend him but they never succeeded in winning his trust. He knew that they weren't really interested in who he was but only with his popularity and looks. Only Ayako, his childhood friend, received his complete trust and when he entered Tomigaoka, their friendship blossomed into something that they never thought would happen.

They fell in love with each other.

He didn't know how it happened but he was not going to say he didn't know why he fell in love with Ayako, because he knew the exact reason why he fell in love with Ayako. She was everything he wasn't yet everything he'd dreamed of. Their relationship wasn't full of dark intentions or any secret desires for they started their relationship by pure friendship and they knew each other so well that they could see right into each other's souls.

The way he knew Ayako, she wasn't a very determined person. Her parents could easily persuade her, as she had a soft spot for them. He didn't mind this of course; he respected her parents. Ayako's parents, in return, were pleased by their friendship, however, they were less pleased by their relationship, which was more than just friends.

Her parents accepted him as Ayako's best friend; however, they didn't exactly welcome him as Ayako's boyfriend. In fact, they detested the thought of him as their daughter's boyfriend.

He didn't understand it. So what if he wasn't Chinese like Ayako? What was with the racial issue anyway? When they were still together, they often had conversations about that issue…

Flashback

"Do you believe that there's a thing such as 'together forever'?" It was break time already and there was already a large amount of people around. He didn't like the noise, if it was up to him, he'd be on the rooftop; however, Ayako insisted that they should be at the grounds enjoying the feel of nature. He didn't actually mind being at the school grounds, as long as he was with Ayako, everyone disappeared to a mere background.

"Everything is possible," he replied, opening his eyes. He glanced at Ayako.

She shook her head. "Sometimes, I can't believe that you are the one who I'm talking to," she told him, referring to his way of choosing his words when he talked. She often commented on how deep he talked, which according to her, was out of his character.

He smiled, his lips curled slightly upwards. "I thought that by now, you'd know me very well and you'd be used to me, considering our eight years of friendship."

"I do," she replied. "It's just that, considering your quiet nature and your past, it seems to be out of your character for you to believe that everything is possible."

"Well, it's true. When you really want something and you find a way to make it happen, it will happen. If something happens, it's because of what we did, ne? And what about my past?"

"Well," Ayako began, shifting uncomfortably. "Your parents' death."

"That's why it's called the past, Ayako. It's something not to be brought back or thought about repeatedly. Because it is over already, it's all in the past- my past," he said quietly. Ayako looked at him with an apologetic look. He smiled in return to assure her that he was not in the least bothered or offended. It was true. He was not bothered by it. Sure, at first he was bothered by the fact that his parents were gone causing him to change from the cheerful, noisy boy to the quiet, reserved guy he was now. Now, his parents' death was only a small pang in his heart every time he remembered it. "Anyway, why did you ask that question?" He felt that it was odd that Ayako was asking such a deep question. Actually, it was rare of her to ask questions like that.

Ayako remained quiet. He got a feeling what her question was all about. "Don't tell me that it's about that racial issue again," he said in a low voice, staring at her.

When Ayako was unable to meet his stare, he felt a surge of anger. "Damn it, Ayako! Why would you let such a trivial matter like that separate us?!"

End of Flashback

He was well aware of the reason why Ayako let that racial issue get in their way. It was her parents' will from the start and her parents were already planning a fixed marriage for her. That news made him want to scream his heart out; never did he want to lose Ayako in such a way.

However, he was ready to fight and sacrifice everything for their relationship; nevertheless, when he was about to fight for the fifth time in front of Ayako's parents, he found out that she wasn't fighting for their relationship beside him anymore…

Flashback

He went to Ayako's house, prepared and ready. He was ready for the insults that might come and the rejection of her parents. He was ready for everything, or so he thought.

"Kaede, what were you and my daughter thinking about?" Ayako's mother asked him in disbelief. They were in their living room, Ayako beside her parents and him, on the couch in front of them. "As best friends we accept, but more than friends? Hell, no!" She started speaking in Chinese in which he suspected that those words weren't blessings for their relationship.

He kept glancing at Ayako, who went quiet the time her mother started ranting words that were in Chinese. Ayako, come on. Please speak up. He wished that they could speak directly to each other's minds at that moment. Please, Ayako. What do you think you are doing?

Ayako's parents continued conversing in front of him in Chinese, which he thought was rude enough, when in fact, they knew that he knew that they were talking about him even if it was in a different language. He continued watching and saw Ayako's parents speaking directly to Ayako. He had a feeling that what they were telling Ayako wasn't pretty.

To his surprise, Ayako's parents left the moment they finished talking to Ayako. Ayako's mother motioned the two of them outside to the garden before leaving. He sat beside Ayako on the porch, and waited expectantly for her to say something.

"Why did you come here and talk to my parents all about our relationship ?"

He was surprised by her question. "Why? Did you not like what I just did?"

"You made my parents mad," she said, instead of answering his question.

He had a sudden feeling that what she was going to say to him wasn't any good. "Demo, isn't it worth it?" he asked, despair creeping in on his voice.

"I'm sorry, Kaede. Demo, we're not really meant to be. I have a different culture from yours and a different belief. And I'm also older than you," she told him in a shaky voice.

"Don't you have faith in our love? Don't you believe that we could stay together? We could make all our promises to stay together forever by fighting for it. Why won't you fight for our love?" he asked her bitterly. "Why are you letting them interfere?" he whispered.

"We have different beliefs, Kaede. I don't believe in such based on my experience. Look at us. If what you said is true, that all we should do to make things happen is believe, then why is this happening to us? We have tried many times to fight for it yet we always fail. Can't you see that simple truth, Kaede? Can't you see that we can't be together anymore?"

End of Flashback

Those words fell onto him like a ton of bricks, crashing into him, agonizing him. It was the end of their relationship, yet, until now, he still couldn't accept it. When Ayako graduated and entered Shohoku, he heard about a certain Miyagi Ryota courting her that almost made him go insane with jealousy. That was the reason why he was studying at Shohoku High, although he told everyone who asked why he entered there an entirely different reason.

At the corner of his eye, he saw Ryota approaching Ayako. He clenched his fists, watching every movement of Ryota. He didn't like the fact that Ayako was getting friendly with Ryota now that he was captain, unlike last year when Ayako always brushed him off.

He knew that Ayako saw him glaring at Ryota, and as if an added discomfort on her part, she started acting uncomfortably, giving Ryota too much of her attention as if to make herself forget that he was staring at the two of them. Her reaction made him want to beat Ryota to a pulp.

After a much needed persuasion from Ryota, she agreed to eat somewhere outside with him, which Rukawa found despicable. His normally passive face already showed a trace of annoyance and a hint of anger that made his face more serious and dangerous than the usual. He sat down at a nearby bench that was close to where Ayako was, pretending to tie his shoelaces. He made sure that he could hear every detail of their 'date' from where he was, before standing up. He headed towards the shower room to take a quick shower before following the two.

He maintained his distance from the two, to make sure he would be able to follow them without getting caught in the act of doing so. People were staring at him, probably because of his weird actions that included hiding behind a tree, waiting in line for an hour without purchasing anything and insisting that he was expecting company as he was sitting at a table for two.

The place where Ayako and Ryota decided to eat was a popular one, considering the number of persons waiting for a table. Some guys were already shooting daggers at him because of his stubbornness not to leave the table, saying that he was still waiting for someone, when in fact, he was still alone until now for already a good one hour at that booth without even buying anything. He just ignored all of them; his attention focused on watching Ayako and Ryota.

The place was so noisy, if he was in a different situation, he would have been leaving the place. However, if he was going to leave now, losing Ayako may be the only consequence.

He remained unmoving at his seat, his eyes focused on the two, who were a few tables away in front of him. He heard someone calling his name but he did not take any notice to the one person calling him, as it was a girl. The person's voice got louder and louder until she was already yelling at the top of her lungs. He cringed at the girl's shrilly voice.

The girl's shrilly voice captured everyone's attention, including Ayako and Ryota. He saw Ayako's eyes wide with shock at discovering that he was also there while Ryota looked baffled and confused at the same time. He cursed under his breath. Damn that girl!
"Kaede! Kaede! Oh my goodness, you look so grown-up already!!"

He gritted his teeth, clearly thinking that the girl was either unaware of the attention thrown at her or that she was plain stupid. He turned around and saw a girl who was maybe in her 17's coming towards his table. He took note that the girl's appearance stood out from the crowd.

"I never thought that we would meet here!" she exclaimed, smiling at him. She took the seat in front of his, effectively blocking Rukawa's view. He clenched his fists in response. There was no way that he would be able to monitor Ayako and Ryota, now that the girl was in the way.

The girl noticed his indifference to her presence. She tapped his hand playfully with a wink. "I can't believe that you have forgotten me already!" She shook her head. "And I thought you wouldn't forget me as you have promised you would not! Remember when you were 10?"

He didn't have any clue about what the girl was talking about. At the corner of his eye, he saw Ryota and Ayako leaving. He clenched his fists, wishing that the girl would go away although strangely, he felt that if he left the girl, he would be missing something.

He glanced back at her trying to figure out why she seemed so familiar to him.

He noticed that he wasn't the only one who was staring at the girl. The place became so quiet all of a sudden; the crowd talking in hushed voices. He glanced around and saw that everyone who was staring at the girl was either snickering or smirking. They stared at the girl, not because of her beauty but because of her shabby, faded clothes. She looked so out of place and he knew that the girl herself was aware of it. Yet, the girl was not in the least bit affected by the attention.

"I'm used to that," she said in a low voice. She smiled. "I'm still as poor as ever, Kaede."

He felt a warm sensation flowing to his heart and all throughout his body. She was one of his dearest childhood friends! His friend from the orphanage! "Yoko!" he whispered.

He had a nice conversation with Yoko. He became unusually talkative, as he has dearly missed her. After his parents' death, he never returned to visit the orphanage although he promised he would never forget them. He had a lot of friends from that orphanage; almost all of them were the orphans that were living there. Yoko commented that he had become a different person now. 'Talkative' for him meant uttering a few comments and answering questions in a full sentence, unlike the usual one-word reply or the never-reply at all.

"Where's the smiling, hyperactive and talkative boy I once knew?" she joked.

He found out from her what was happening at the orphanage now. Yoko told him that there were lots of new orphans living there and that they had insufficient funds.

"I guess charity isn't a big deal now, ne?" She smiled sadly. "The new kids there do not even know how to write or read. Remember how when we were kids there were lots of people helping us out? At least, we were able to learn how to write and read compared to them. And a few of us were even sent to school by those kind people."

Like you, he said silently. Yoko was an extremely smart girl. Ayako's parents were very fond of her and were amazed by her intelligence that they even gave her money so she could go a junior high school, which was Wakko Junior High. Up until now, she was still being supported by Ayako's parents and was currently studying at Takezono. They thought that it would be a waste if she wasn't sent to a proper school to hone her talents and skills.

"Can you do me a favor?" Yoko asked. He nodded in reply, thinking what favor that could be.

He was surprised by what she was asking. Yoko asked him if he could give up some free time so he could teach some kids at the orphanage how to read or write. Yoko explained to him that she had been looking for their friends from the orphanage, who were the same age as they were, that were willing to spend their free time there teaching kids.

"Have you asked Ayako about this?" he asked. He glanced at the booth Ayako and Ryota sat on a while ago that was now occupied by someone else. "She was here awhile ago."

"She started teaching weeks ago, " she answered. " If you'll agree, start tomorrow okay?"

There was no doubt in his eyes as he replied. "I would love to teach those kids."

My notes: Please review!!!!!!!!

I've decided to try something different other than the usual OC's.