Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Brave Breeze ❯ Chapter 5

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Brave Breeze
by Sakura (aka L-sama no Miko)
 
Part 5
 
            ; The aqua haired mazoku watched silently as his redheaded companion paced around the room. This had become a daily occurrence ever since Lina had woken up after their `ordeal' at Grausherra's a few weeks ago, and to tell the truth Val was getting quite annoyed - though it was more at his own inability to help the mazoku that had once been his `auntie' than her incessant pacing.
            ; “Lina…” he attempted.
            ; “What?!” she snapped, causing the taller mazoku to cringe slightly. “Sorry, Val,” she apologized upon seeing Val's forlorn expression. “It's just that it's driving me nuts!!”
            ; The aqua haired teen nodded in understanding. He too had felt the pull. When a mazoku was created, he or she would sometimes - depending on their creator's whims - be driven to remain at their master's side at all costs to insure their loyalty. However, most of the more powerful ones were able to ignore this urge for much, much longer periods of time, hence Xellos' ability to travel about whenever he damn well felt like it.
            ; Val's own `pull' was making him antsy as well, urging him to get up and leave - but where to, he just couldn't figure out. It was as if that strange empty hole deep within his soul he had felt for most of his life had suddenly been filled. What was even stranger was that the `pull' was active. They all knew Maryuuou Gaav had been killed by Phibrizzo, but here he was longing for his former master's presence. `It's got to be because I've only just gotten these damned memories back,' he inwardly sulked, `I never asked to remember my past life! I was happy! Damn you L-sama!' The horned mazoku stifled the growl that threatened to escape his throat, not wishing to alarm his redheaded fellow mazoku.
Lina was doing fine herself, but he could see that it was becoming increasingly more difficult for the petite sorceress turned mazoku. It had appeared that Grausherra was yanking at the other end of the `pull' making the longing she felt ten times as worse in spite of his current state. `Why didn't that freakin' namagomi kill him?!' Val cursed silently.
            ; “Gods Val! I can still feel those disgusting, freezing hands of his on me and L-sama help me I want to feel that again!” she exclaimed, shivering at the memories as she moved closer to the fireplace instinctively, not to mention snapping her taller companion out of his silent ranting.
            ; “It'll be okay, Lina,” he soothed, gingerly wrapping his arms around her tiny waist in hopes of giving his former nanny some added strength. “We'll all help. I won't let him have you again. Ever.”
He let out a soft growl that caused her to stiffen slightly, but soon realized that it wasn't being directed at her. “V-Val?!” Lina gasped, surprised at the other mazoku's sudden protectiveness of her. Had this been any other situation, she'd probably either be scared out of her mind or flattered that a mazoku had liked her in that way. But at the moment, Lina Inverse wasn't sure what to feel.
True, she was fond of Val, very fond in fact. He never once poked fun at her figure or lack there of, and it was awfully cute when he would call her `Auntie Lina'. And of course he was very easy on the eyes. Before he had been turned in a mazoku again, Val was certainly someone she'd consider going after - that is if she'd hadn't known him since a tiny hatchling. Now that he was once again Valgaav, the old scars he was once again sporting gave the teen a rather sexy and rugged appeal that the sweet and somewhat shy anczoku had lacked.
“G-Gomen, Lina,” said mazoku sputtered and blushing, fearing that he'd offended her in some way and abruptly removed his arms.
During the whole mess with Dark Star, he had somehow developed feelings of lust toward the petite redhead and, thankfully to his present self, never got to act upon those feelings. But that didn't mean he still had them. His actions and thoughts back at Grausherra's domain were most certainly absolute proof they were still there, niggling at him and urging him to claim what was his.
However, Val wasn't about to let his baser side get what it wanted. Not after what that b@$^@rd of a mazoku did to her. He doubted she'd ever want anyone like that now that she'd been used in such a horrible way. He clenched his fists, trembling as he fought against the lust.
“Thanks,” Lina said, smiling softly. He gasped when he felt her grab his larger hands and pulled his arms back around her. “I… I don't mind if it's you Val,” she murmured, blushing.
Did she? Did this mean she had the same feelings? “Lina…” Val started, only to have the shorter mazoku turn in his arms and place a finger on his oh so kissable lips.
“Don't Val,” she pleaded, “Just… just hold me for now. Hold me tight and never let go. I'm scared I'd disappear completely if you don't.”
What could he say after that? He had no words that could really alleviate her suffering. Nothing could destroy that hideous bond, except for death of either master or minion. There was another way, though it was not an option; not to Val at least. Xellos had hinted that if another mazoku lord were to imbue another's servant with a much larger amount of their own essence, there was probability of that servant switching loyalties.
That was definitely out of the question. There was no way in hell he'd ever let that b*^ch or her namagomi of a minion lay a paw Lina. Not as long as he was alive. He was more than willing to die all over again if it meant his Lina was safe from those two.
“If only Gaav-sama were here,” he murmured.
“But he isn't,” Lina replied, startling the aqua haired mazoku out of his thoughts. He hadn't meant to say that out loud. “But thanks for offering Val,” she added, guessing at what her taller companion had been thinking. As far as mazoku lords go, Gaav wasn't too bad I guess.”
“He was an honorable and noble man,” Val said wistfully, remembering his time with the redheaded mazoku lord.
“Since when are mazoku honorable?” Lina chuckled, “But I guess he could have been. He did save you after all.”
“That he did, and I will be eternally grateful to him for that. I just wish I hadn't disgraced him during… those days.”
Lina nodded. “You let your grief blind you,” she said after a few moments of silence, “You never really did let me explain what happened to him. It wasn't…”
“I know. Now. I was so eager to place the blame on someone, anyone back then. You were the one he had been chasing after, so I had decided it was your fault Lina. I never even wanted to consider that Hellmaster was the real reason my master was dead. Besides, Phibrizzo was dead too so…”
“I was the only available target, ne?” the redheaded mazoku finished, chuckling bitterly.
“I truly am sorry for that Lina. I can't understand why you…”
“Enough of that!” she scolded, turning back around to face him again. “You got your chance to make it up to me, so don't waste it on stupid apologies! Just do what you can, ok? No more `Sorry's'.”
He stared at her as if she'd just grown two extra heads and wings. Never had he ever expected her, Lina Inverse, of all people to forgive him so easily. Deciding that speaking now, would be a total waste of time, Val just nodded, blushing rather cutely. Lina returned the smile, blushing as well and snuggled against the taller mazoku's well toned chest, grateful for Val's presence. He was something familiar, something safe - despite the fact that he was once again Valgaav the mazoku instead of Valteira the teenaged anczoku.
“It's been long enough,” Lina muttered softly after several minutes of just holding onto Val and snuggling against him.
“What has?” Val wondered fearfully, worried that Lina had suddenly no longer wanted comfort from him. He was rather enjoying his time with her, even if it was just holding each other.
“I've been thinking, Val,” she began, “What if Gaav didn't stay dead?” Valgaav blinked. What had she meant by that? “He got reincarnated as a human the first time he died right?” The aqua haired mazoku nodded then it clicked.
“A-Are you saying that…”
“I'm not really sure, Val, but it's a possibility. Enough time has passed since the whole biz with him and Phibrizzo.”
“But even if he did get reincarnated, we don't even know…”
“I know, I know,” she replied, “I really shouldn't have said that, I was just thinking out loud anyway.”
“Lina,” Val said determinedly and gently turning her rather kawaii face up towards his, “if you're saying you want to go look for Gaav-sama…”
“Val…”
“No, Lina, don't interrupt. If you want to look for him, then I won't stop you. All I ask is that you…” He suddenly felt like the shy dragon boy he had been for the past eighteen years and turned his golden orbs away from her ruby eyes, “please let me go with you. I-I don't want to let you out of my sight anymore.”
It was Lina's turn to be utterly stunned. She could feel the taller mazoku's lust for her and it had been sending rather pleasant tingles up and down her spine, but they were being tempered with the more powerful emotion underneath that lust. She knew mazoku were capable of feeling fondness for another being, Xellos was living proof of that since he'd said over and over that he was rather fond of her. But love? Was that even possible for their kind?
Loyalty, fondness, lust, possessiveness, yes; but who had ever heard of a mazoku falling in love? Then again she wasn't exactly an expert on mazoku emotions so… Lina decided not to think too deep on the subject for now. After all, she and Val now had all the time in the world to figure that one out.
“You really sure about this aren't you?”
“I'm not letting you go alone, Lina!” he replied empathically.
The redheaded mazoku sighed. “You do realize we have to tell your mother, right?” Lina felt an eerie glee at the resulting shouting match that was sure to erupt once she'd announce her and Val's impending departure from Wolf Pack Island and the others.
“I'm still not letting you out of my sight, Inverse,” Val insisted.
“Just remember you're the one who brought up Gaav,” she said, resigning herself. She pulled herself away from the dragon mazoku's arms - much to the disappointment of both - and made toward the door. “Why's it always me?” she muttered under her breath.
 
 
***************************************************************** *****
 
“So where do you think we should start looking?” the taller mazoku asked his smaller companion.
“Beats me,” she replied, shrugging her shoulders.
The aqua haired dragon mazoku was in no hurry at the moment. He knew he should find his former master as soon as possible since no one knew how long it'd take for a certain ice and snow loving mazoku lord to recover, but he didn't want to rush this trip. He wanted to be able to enjoy being with the petite sorceress turned mazoku for as long as possible. Inwardly, Val growled at his rival's words.
 
Flashback
They had just finished convincing the irate and frantic Filia that it was best Lina and Val go in search of Gaav. She most definitely didn't like the idea of handing the petite redhead over to any of the mazoku lords, but they did have a point.
Lina had over and over again explained how she was constantly being driven to go to Grausherra's side due to what the two newborn mazoku had decided to call `the pull'. It was Zelgadis' stern, yet calm voice and Lina's urging that had finally swayed the former dragon priestess. So Filia had reluctantly let the two leave their group, but not before making Val swear to protect Lina at all costs - which of course he would even if he hadn't been told to do so.
He was about to go after the red haired object of his affections when he felt the presence of a certain purple haired mazoku.
“What do you want, namagomi?” he spat in disgust.
“Oh just to give a bit of advice, Valgaav-kun,” was Xellos' cheerful reply, smirking at the younger mazoku's reaction.
The aqua haired mazoku had flinched at the older mazoku's use of his former name. In spite of having regained the memories of his past life, Val still felt like that barely eighteen years old boy he'd been just a few short weeks ago. He hated himself for what he'd done to his `mother' and to Lina as `Valgaav'. No amount of forgiveness from either woman had been able to ease the pain. True he was grateful for their kindness, but he just couldn't forgive himself, not yet.
“And what kind of advice can a namagomi like you possibly give?” Val retorted, anxious to get away from the twisted priest/general.
“Just this. Don't forget who she really belongs to,” he replied, his amethyst eyes open just enough for Val to see the feline pupils. “Who she really wants.” Without another word, Xelas' chief servant faded from view.
The dragon mazoku growled lowly, his hands clutched into fists. Val shook in barely restrained anger. “She's not some toy for you to play with!!” he yelled, his words reaching no one's ears. He had the sudden urge to hunt the older mazoku down and bash him with a giant mallet.
 
************************************************************** ***
 
Xellos's words had been weighing heavily on Val's mind ever since they'd left Wolf Pack Island. It was no secret that Lina had a crush on the annoying namagomi for years. It stemmed all the way back to when he had snuck a kiss from her when they were trying to get a Claire Bible manuscript from a pack of bandits calling themselves the “Fighting Dragon's Blood Macho Men”.*
But then she did cling to him a few short hours ago - to him and not Xellos. Did that mean that she wanted him now? Or was Lina just reaching out to the only available source of comfort? He wanted to grab her and demand what she had been playing at, but doing so would most probably damage whatever it was they now had. To keep silent or not; it was driving him mad.
“Val?” the redheaded mazoku called, when she'd gotten no response the past few minutes.
“S-Sorry Lina,” he apologized, blushing for having gotten caught spacing out like that. “I was just… thinking.”
She nodded, leaving the taller mazoku to his privacy. If he wanted to tell her what was bothering him, she'd wait `til he was ready. “So any ideas?”
“Not really,” he said forlornly. He really didn't know where Gaav would be, or even if he'd been reincarnated for that matter. “How about where you and he fought? Maybe we can find something.”
`But don't count on it', was what was left unsaid. Lina Inverse was no idiot, but she did feel as though they were going on a fool's errand. The actual chance of them succeeding in finding the reincarnated Maryuuou was pretty much next to nil.
“Might as well try there,” she sighed, “It's better than just wandering around with no direction.”
“Lina…” Val attempted, placing a hand her shoulder.
“Don't Val,” she said, “You'll just jinx things.”
The aqua haired dragon mazoku nodded, but refused to let go. Lina gave him a tiny smile as thanks then teleported away. Valgaav shortly followed his smaller companion, homing in on her own unique signature.
 
~Tsuzuku~
 
 
*This happened waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy back in episode 2 of Slayers Next. And no, I didn't make up that name. Hajime Kanzaka-sama did or whoever wrote for Next!!!
 
Sakura: Yeesh what is it with me and writer's block?! I had major troubles starting this thing.
 
Zel: Well if you were so lazy, maybe you won't have writer's block all the time. You did leave this one behind for quite the while.
 
Sakura: Zip it Stone Boy! You try getting into the mood when your offline life keeps getting in the way. Anyhoo, like Lina-chan, I'm no expert on mazoku either - I've never seen or heard of a human becoming a mazoku - so I'm just going along with my instincts here folks. Lemme now what you think minna. Reviews are ALWAYS welcome!!