Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Paint the Sky with Stars ❯ Dance of the Cinnamon Apple Faerie ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Paint the Sky with Stars

Author: Yugure

Genre: Romance

Bias: Lina/Zel - Zel/Lina

Rating: PG-13

Disclaimer: I don't own Slayers. I don't own the rights to the album or song "Paint the Sky with Stars", which actually belongs to Enya, as does the song "Caribbean Blue". Also, I like giving Zelgadis black hair when he's human, because I've seen some fanart of him with black hair and I think he looks really good that way. Lina is 19 and Zel is 21.

Chapter 1 - Dance of the "Cinnamon Apple" Faerie

"Ow! Damn prickers," Lina grumbled as she stomped her way through thorny bushes, swinging her portable and nearly indestructible CD player around like a battering ram. She was thankful for the heavy-duty boots protecting her feet, but unfortunately, since it was about mid-summer and the temperature was rising exponentially, her legs were bare and left to fend for themselves. Lina emerged from the foliage and stepped into the clearing.

She had found this space a year ago when a stray dog stole and ran away with her favorite hat. After much cursing and chasing, Lina had regained her possession and successfully terrified the mutt into a coma. They had ended up in this clearing. It was like a small piece of heaven on earth.

Emerald green grass tickled Lina's feet as she kicked off her boots, set down her boom box, and hopped around. Sunlight dappled the ground where it trickled through the leaves of the trees. In the center of the clearing, the sun shone down full force. Forget-me-nots and bluebells grew in lazy patterns across the ground, like misplaced toys in a child's room. Lina spun around in a circle with her arms out, laughing and enjoying the sun on her face.

She sighed and bent down to press the play button on her CD player. Soft strains of New Age music seeped from the speakers and saturated the air. The song nearly came alive. Lina stepped into the middle of the clearing, waited a few beats, and began dancing.

Like a faerie from the forest or an angel descended from heaven, Lina twirled and pivoted. Moving slowly with the grace of a princess, she closed her eyes and let the music move her.

***

Zelgadis wiped the sweat from his brow and continued jogging. The sun was murder today, and the only reason he forced himself to exercise was because it kept his mind occupied. The last thing he needed was another emotional breakdown.

On impulse Zelgadis took a right, swinging by the forest edge. The trees provided much needed shade. Deeper into the park, kids screamed and laughed as they ran around the playground. Weary mothers congregated on the benches, finding solace from others just like them. A little girl in a pink dress fell down and began bawling. Her mother scooped her up in her arms and whispered reassurances in the small child's ear. Even that caused a pang in Zelgadis's heart.

She had wanted children. For hours and hours she would plan out the baby rooms. She mostly wanted a girl, but even a boy would have brought such joy into her life. Zelgadis didn't really want any children, but deep down, he knew a part of him wanted to be a father. And then…

Zelgadis stopped in his tracks and bent over. No, I will not think anymore. It hurts too much. I can't… I can't do this…

Suddenly the sweet sound of music reached his ears. Zelgadis straightened up and looked into the forest. It was definitely coming from there. It was a beautiful song, something whimsical and instrumentally masterminded. He knew the song. It hurt him to remember it, but the notes came easily in his head. He could almost hum the rest of the song without the music. Drawn to it, Zelgadis stepped of the path and forged ahead into the forest.

As the music got louder and Zelgadis drew closer to its origin, he noticed movement. Not knowing what it was, Zelgadis pushed aside a few branches and saw… an angel. Or at least she looked like an angel, with the glorious red hair and pale porcelain skin. She had to be an angel because - Zelgadis felt his heart in his throat as he brushed past the foliage with a loud swishing sound - she looked exactly like -

"Eeep!" the girl squeaked as she stumbled to a halt and stared at Zelgadis with wide eyes. Her expression turned from confusion to suspicion. "What are you doing here?"

"I… I followed the music," Zelgadis stammered. "It was-"

"It was none of your business, that's what it was! How dare you just barge in here as if you owned the place!" the girl ranted. She pointed a slender foot at the CD player and hit the off button. The music abruptly stopped and left the two of them in virtual silence. Only the faint swishing of the trees interrupted.

"Well, you don't own it, either," Zelgadis commented, feeling slightly annoyed at this girl's hostility.

"How do you know?!"
"This is the city's land. It belongs to everybody."

"…. Well you still interrupted me. I think you owe me an apology." The girl put her hands on her hips and waited.

"What?! Why should I apologize to you? I didn't do anything wrong!" Zelgadis protested. The girl said nothing, only waited.

This definitely wasn't his angel.

***

Lina stared at the handsome man in front of her. Sure, she was irked that he interrupted her dancing, but it wasn't all that important. She could come here any time she wanted. It wasn't as though he interrupted a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

The man was entirely too handsome for his own good. Lina felt her anger slipping away like sand through fingers. With lustrous black hair tied back into a small ponytail and dark sapphire blue eyes glaring back at her, and the muscular build peeking out from beneath a loose white tank top, Lina felt her cheeks turn a dusty rose red. She was proud of herself for having that much control, when it really felt like her face should be the same color as her hair.

"Look, how about you join me for lunch, if you're really so upset about all this," he finally said. Lina's ears perked at the mention of food.

"How do I know you're not some sicko who'll take me into an alley and do bad things to me?" Lina demanded. It was futile, really. She already knew she was going to go. Her stomach had decided for her.

"I'm not that kind of guy!" the man exclaimed, his face turning red. Even that was cute, and Lina berated herself for thinking such thoughts.

"Well, you walk ahead of me, and I'll follow you, okay?"

"How do I know you won't pull a knife on me and stab me in the back?"

"… I wouldn't do that. Do I look like I could stab someone in the back?" Lina put on her cutest face and noticed the man turn a bit red again.

"Not really."

"Of course not. I only attack from the front."

"…."

"I'm kidding."

"Let's go." The man sighed, turned around, and began trekking back through the forest. Lina gave him brownie points for not turning back to check on her. She trailed along behind him.

***

Zelgadis wasn't exactly sure why he offered to have lunch with the redheaded wild child. She was beautiful, that was for sure. It could have been because she looked so much like… well, Zelgadis was pretty sure that wasn't it. This girl was much different. Her unique personality was invigorating, even though they had only just met. Zelgadis had simply opened his mouth to apologize when the words poured out by themselves. He decided not to question it. Maybe, just maybe, he was getting on with his life.