Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ For Love Of The Hunt ❯ Who's On What Side? ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Let's see if we can't make this the biggest, most explosive fight I've written yet…

Chapter 6: Who's On What Side?

The wet grass sloshed around under the feet of Ghost as he carefully searched the area. The people had cleared the area after seeing the robots, and many of them had called the police. Meanwhile, Metal-2's body, under the control of Tails, followed the fox as they headed to the City Hall after hearing about the robots there. Scotty had decided to come along despite warnings from the crew, and traveled along the rooftops. It wasn't long before they arrived, and saw Ghost and the three drones in front of them.

Ghost: what are you doing here?

Scotty: Looking for you.

Tails: Yeah, we've got a surprise for your robot friends there.

At the ABT building, the president watched the scene from the eyes of the drones. He then recognized Scotty and the others.

President: Wait a minute…those are the guys from before! And that robot is with them, from what I've heard.

He turned to one of the employees at a control panel, and looked him sternly in the face.

President: Prepare the drones for a fight. Activate the combat AI programming.

Employee: But sir, that programming is still in its early phases!

President: Do it!

Employee: <sigh> Yes, sir.

The employee hit a few buttons on the keyboard, and the drones stepped forward. Tails saw it, and motioned to Scotty to move back. They did so, leaving Metal-2 out in front. Tails lifted his wrist to his mouth, and spoke into the watch.

Tails: Okay, Metal, here we go. Let's try and do as much damage as we can before you lose.

Scotty: Good luck, Tails.

Ghost: <thinking> While the drones take care of those guys, I'll hunt down Ivy and get my reward!

He walked away, continuing his search. There was a noise in the trees, above him, and he looked up to see Ivy nearly lose her balance and fall. When she noticed that he found her, she panicked and lost her grip. Ivy fell to the ground, and was immediately thrown against the tree with a pistol to her chin.

Ghost: I've got you now. Don't take this personally.

Ghost backed away slightly, and was about to pull the trigger when he was suddenly tackled away. He fell to the ground, and Scotty stood over him.

Scotty: I can't let you kill her…<thinking> no matter how much I despise her…

Ghost: This is none of your business. Now get out of my way.

He stood up, and faced Scotty with a piercing glare. There was the sound of an explosion of dirt behind them, and all three hedgehogs turned to see a crater in the ground and Metal-2 running toward the drones. The President taunted the robot while watching the fight.

President: Heh heh heh… when that thing gets in range, cut him down with one swipe!

Metal-2 ran up and punched one of the drones in the chest, causing a small dent. A second drone attacked from behind using its left arm's sword to swing at Metal-2. The robot saw the attack, and whirled around to block it with his arm. The blade made contact, striking with impressive force. However, instead of cutting through, the blade bent and buckled causing only a small scrape on Metal-2. The drone then pulled back its right arm, and slugged it into the chest of Metal-2. Again, only minimal damage to the hedgehog robot, but the entire blade of the drone's right arm was ruined. Metal-2 was thrown back by the force of the hit, however.

Tails: How did…hold on! That's it! Metal's titanium-carbon armor must be stronger than whatever metal that blade is made of. And I'll bet the same goes for the rest of the drone.

He lifted the watch to his mouth.

Tails: Metal! Keep up the physical attacks!

The robot got back up and flew toward the damaged drone. He tossed his foot out in front of him and made a solid kick to the robot's chest. The drone stumbled backwards for a moment as Metal back-flipped back onto the ground. He turned to face the slightly dented drone, and ran at it.

Tails: Take him down!

Metal-2 ran and jumped onto the drone's head, grabbing it as he sailed over. The entire drone was pulled back by the force of it, and fell to the ground.

President: What are they doing out there?! Focus all the drones' efforts on that robot. Hit him with everything they've got!

All three drones soon recovered, and surrounded Metal-2. The three robots leaned over, and pointed every shooting weapon at the hedgehog robot.

Tails: Uh-oh…Metal, get out of there!

Metal-2 jumped into the air and flew straight upwards. The drones followed him, keeping their guns pointed at the robot. Police sirens came from the distance, and Tails issued a new order.

Tails: Metal, get some distance and fire your guns at them before they get a lock on you!

Metal-2 began to fly around erratically, making him a hard target to hit as the drones fired at him. Metal-2 returned fire with his arm blasters, focusing on the most heavily damaged drone. The shots tore through the drone's weak armor, damaging it further. Several police cars arrived, screeching to a stop, and the officers stepped out armed with their own weapons. Ghost saw that time was running out, and raised his gun to Ivy's head, which was facing the fight. Scotty saw it and stopped him.

Scotty: Leave her alone!

Ghost: That's it, I've had enough of you!

Ghost surprised Scotty when he tripped him while punching his face. Scotty was sent to the ground, and was instantly staring into the barrel of a gun.

Ghost: I don't want to kill you, but I will if I have to!

Ivy: No you won't!

She kicked the gun out of his hand and shoved him away. Ghost pulled a knife from his ankle and ran at Ivy. She dodged a stab, and Ghost was struck on the back of the head by the combined fists of Scotty. The white hedgehog retrieved his gun as he rolled away to avoid a kick, and got to his feet, aiming at Scotty.

Ghost: I've had enough of you!

Ivy started to move in to attack, but stopped when ghost pulled a second pistol from a holster at his side, and pointed it at Ivy. The two green hedgehogs stood unmoving, each with a gun pointed at them.

Ghost: And you're next.

There was the click of a gun being cocked, and ghost felt the barrel against the back of his head. The voice of Officer Rouge spoke firmly and angrily.

Rouge: Drop your weapons! You're under arrest!

Ghost: Heh heh heh…If you only knew how many times I've heard that…

Ghost disappeared in a blurry streak of white that traveled around behind Rouge. He reappeared there, pointing both Pistols at her.

Ghost: …Or how many times I've done this…

He shoved his knee into her back, knocking her to the ground. He kept the gun to her head and looked up at Scotty.

Ghost: If either of you makes a move, the cop gets it.

Ivy: What do I care about some stupid cop?

Scotty grabbed her arm.

Scotty: You're not going anywhere. Ghost, let the officer go. She isn't a part of this.

Ghost: Neither were you, but now we're all involved.

As this was happening, Metal-2 unloaded twin charged laser beams from his shoulder cannons, and they ripped through a badly mangled drone. The robot's remains fell to the ground and exploded, sending shrapnel everywhere. Metal-2 landed in front of the other two, standing between them and Tails. When the officers recognized the machine, they fired at it.

Tails: Oh no!

The shots were from stronger rifles, and they caused minor pings when they hit the robot.

Tails: You're shooting at the good guy!

Metal-2 ignored them, and took off, targeting the next drone. Ghost had grown impatient, and pointed his other gun at Ivy. He felt Rouge trying to break free from his foot, and decided he didn't have time to deal with her. He struck Rouge's head with the handle of his gun, knocking the bat out. When that was done, he re-aimed his first gun at Scotty.

Ghost: Now I'm going to give you one last chance to turn her over to me.

Scotty: I can't. It's my duty to protect all life.

Ghost: Very well then, hero. You die with her.

Scotty had an idea just then. He released Ivy, and shoved her away. She ran, and ghost glared at Scotty, who smiled slightly.

Scotty: You can get me, or you can go after her. Your choice.

Scotty then ran away as well, and Ghost looked back and forth between him and Ivy. Finally, he ran after ivy, and tackled her to the ground. Before he could shoot her, Ghost was smacked away by the arm of one of the drones. Metal-2 had taken it from the wreckage of the first drone and thrown it at the second one, but missed. The arm also hit Ivy, and the two collapsed, barely conscious. The president of ABT watched tensely as the fight continued.

Employee: Sir, we've lost a drone and the second one won't last much longer. What should we do?

President: …<sigh>…Tell the drones to kill them all, including Ghost. They know too much about us.

With that the drones took on new orders and the undamaged one turned around to attack Scotty. The hedgehog saw it coming, and grabbed his emerald sword. He activated it and swung through the robot's flexible torso, cutting the drone in two. Both halves fell to the ground, And Scotty noticed Ghost and Ivy on the ground near each other. He ran over to see what had happened. Ghost spoke to him weakly.

Ghost: You again…You don't give up, do you?

Scotty: That's me, all right. But you can relax; I'm here to give you a hand.

Ghost: What?

Scotty: It's my job.

He extended a hand to Ghost, and he took it after hesitating a moment. The white hedgehog shakily got to his feet, and looked at Scotty.

Ghost: Not bad…I can see why they call you a hero.

Scotty: You're pretty tough yourself; I can see why they call you a bounty hunter.

Ghost looked down at Ivy.

Ghost: What about her?

Scotty: The cops will take care of her.

Scotty didn't want to tell Ghost that the cops would take care of him, too. At least not yet. Before their conversation could go any farther, they were attacked by a beaten up drone. It pounced at them, but both hedgehogs jumped back in time to avoid it. Metal-2, also damaged, flew in out of nowhere and bashed the drone into the wall of the City Hall building. Pieces of concrete flew out through a cloud of dust. Scotty and Ghost backed away as the drone pulled itself from the wall, and a ravaged Metal-2 stumbled away from it.

Scotty: <thinking> Okay, Tails, let's hope this plan works.

The drone hunched over and pointed the large turret on its back at Metal-2. Tails saw it and prepared.

Tails: Okay, activate the self-destruct, set for minimal collateral damage. Detonate on impact.

Everyone, including the police, watched as the drone charged its guns and unleashed two mighty blasts into Metal-2. The hedgehog robot went up in a powerful, roaring and fiery explosion. The drone, rattling with malfunctioning parts, came after Scotty and Ghost. It charged them, and leapt into the air. Scotty couldn't move away in time, and was only saved because Ghost shoved him out of the way. The robot missed them both, and crashed into the ground nearby. It blew up, and chunks flew all over the place. Scotty and Ghost were thrown backwards, stopping only when they hit the upper half of the robot that Scotty had cut in half earlier. The two hedgehogs coughed, and sat on the ground on opposite sides of the robot's head. They looked at each other, and Ghost wiped his forehead.

Ghost: You know, I've been doing this for at least 20 years…and this was the most fun I've ever had.

Scotty: I could've done without having a gun pointed at my head, though…

Ghost: <chuckles> Yeah, well that's business.

Scotty: Thanks for saving me back there. I owe you one.

Ghost: Just keep the cops off my back and we'll call it even.

Scotty: So I guess ABT betrayed you, eh?

Ghost: It's not the first time. And it won't be the last.

Scotty: So that's it? You're just gonna go back to bounty hunting?

Ghost: I don't have much of a choice. Besides, it what I live for.

Scotty: well…You did save me…so I guess I'll let you go.

Ghost: <jokingly> Let me go? Ha! I could escape you with my eyes closed.

Scotty: Oh really? Care to prove it?

They both laughed, and didn't notice that the drone's head started moving, and lifted off the ground. The robot lifted up with its arms, and Scotty and Ghost both stopped laughing and looked up at it. They were too weak to fight, and the drone lifted an arm to strike. Suddenly, its head exploded after a bright red streak hit it from somewhere, and the robot fell to the ground again.

Scotty: What in New York was that?

Ghost: I think I might know…

He pointed toward the roof of City Hall, and the two hedgehogs watched as the shadow of a fox leapt down form it. The figure came into the light, approaching them.

Ghost: Well, well, well, if it isn't old deadeye himself.

Scotty: Who?

The fox came closer, and then Scotty saw him more clearly. He smiled when he recognized him.

Scotty: Scruffy…Somehow I had a feeling you'd show up.

Scruffy: And not a moment too soon, it seems.

The two hedgehogs stood up, and Ghost shook hands with Scruffy.

Ghost: How ya doin', Fluffy?

Scruffy: I'm just fine, Casper.

Tails had made it to the scene after seeing Scruffy again.

Ghost: After that stunt you pulled back in Mexico City, I never thought I'd see you again.

Scruffy: Stunt I pulled? I seem to remember a certain white hedgehog pulling a 180 on the edge of that cliff that drops into the gulf.

Ghost: Guilty as charged. So how did you know I was here?

Scruffy: Saw you catch some sleep under a tree. Did anyone ever tell you that you snore like there's no tomorrow?

Ghost: I thought there was someone watching me…

Tails: You two know each other?

Scruffy: Are you kiddin' me? This guy's my old buddy from Mexico, back before I came to the U.S.

Ghost: We used to cause all kinds of trouble. I was doing a job for this one company, and he helped out.

Scruffy: Good times. I learned a lot then.

Ghost: You weren't the only one. That dash thing you showed me saved me from so many cops, it's not even funny.

Rouge: So you learned that from him, huh?

Everyone was surprised when the bat showed up again.

Ghost: Yeah…Sorry about that; I was just trying to do my job.

Rouge: And now I have to do mine.

She approached him with a pair of handcuffs, but Scotty stepped in her way.

Scotty: Hang on, Rouge. Ghost saved me a minute ago…and he didn't actually kill anyone.

Rouge: He still assaulted an officer, amongst other things…

Scotty looked Rouge sternly in the face.

Rouge: …But…if he tells us where he got those robots from, I think we can make a deal…Speaking of robots, what happened to Metal?

Tails: He was destroyed in the fight. The other officers saw it.

Rouge: I guess that makes it kinda hard to arrest him, then. We'll have to take his computer into custody.

Tails: It was destroyed, too.

Tails winked at Scotty, and the hedgehog smiled.

Scotty: We'll rebuild him with a new computer, and it'll belike nothing ever happened.

Rouge: Well, if the computer's new, too, then I guess he'll go free.

There was the sound of someone yelling nearby, and everyone turned to see several officers dragging a cuffed Ivy toward a police car. She saw Scotty, and yelled to him.

Ivy: You haven't seen the last of me, crime fighter! I'll be back! I'LL BE BACK!!

She was locked in the back of the car, and it drove off.

Scotty: Well, I guess…all in all, today went pretty well.

Rouge: I guess so.

Scotty: Well, I'm bushed, so let's head home, Tails.

Tails: Just a sec…Uncle Scruffy, it was good to see you again.

Scruffy: You, too, Tails. You, too. How's Keylo?

Tails: She's doing fine.

Scruffy: Glad to hear it. Wish I could stay, but-

Tails: You can! Please come and stay with us, at least for tonight!

Scruffy: Well…

Tails: Pleeeease?

Scruffy: …Okay.

Tails: Yes!

The three left together, headed for the Refuge base.

Rouge: We'd better get you down to the station, and you can tell us all about your employer.

Ghost: All right.

They got in a police cruiser, and left. Within a few days, Metal-2's body was rebuilt, and his core was installed. Everyone convinced Scruffy to stay for the rest of the week, and they all watched the news as the President of ABT was carried off in handcuffs to a police car. This exhausting adventure was finally finished, and they all took a much-needed break. All was well in the city, at least for now…

THE END

________________________________________________________________ _____________________

Finally! This one's done. So, guys, what did you think?

Robotnik: I didn't get a good role!

Sonic: I think a pinata is the perfect role for you.

Robotnik: Grr…

Me: Save it for the next fic, you two.

Scruffy: I know what the fat guy means; my role was barely in the story at all!

Me: Well, maybe if you would move into the city, you'd get a bigger part.

Keylo: I did just that, and I only got one scene in the whole thing!

Me: <sigh> Actors…well, what do you, the readers think?

I would like to thank Scotty CF for letting me use her characters and stuff. Be sure to check out my fan art for a picture of Ghost. Uh…Other than that, thanks for reading, and please review this story. Even a short review would be much appreciated.