Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Iron Heart ❯ Change Of Heart ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Welcome to my newest fic…Okay, first, the explanation: This story takes place mostly from the point of view of MS-02, a new version of Metal Sonic. Therefore, when a line in the script is said by `Me', it means that it is said by MS-02. Sections of all capital text are programming messages on MS-02's point of view; in a way, they are his thoughts. Also, I have uploaded a picture of MS-02 so that you'll know what he looks like. Okay? You got all that? Let's go!

The Iron Heart

Chapter 1: Change Of Heart

Deep inside of Robotnik's layer, the mad scientist himself had been working endlessly, completing his latest project. It was a new version of Metal Sonic…

Robotnik: It's finally finished…months of work…the ultimate AI brain…a variety of weapons…super powerful hydraulic muscles…a hardened titanium-alloy skeleton…all encased in the strongest armor known to mankind…MS-02!

Robot: It is quite an achievement, sir.

Robotnik: Yes, but enough talking. Ever since that blasted hedgehog and his little fox friend captured my last Metal Sonic, we've been in a hurry. If Tails gets his hands on MS-01's hard drive…there's no telling how much he could learn about our little base here…

Robot: The system is ready for activation. Should I engage MS-02's permanent power core?

Robotnik: Do it. Once MS-02's power core is engaged, it cannot be deactivated. Of course, if he does get too rowdy, I always have this override remote…though I doubt I'll need it.

Robot: Very well. Engaging power core. <presses buttons on console>

Robotnik and the other robot were in a small control room in front of which was another, larger area with a table in the middle. MS-02 lay dormant on the table, with a bunch of robotic arms attached to the ceiling above him. As the robot operated the console in the control room, a surge of blue electricity surrounded MS-02. It lasted for a few seconds, and when it stopped, two red glows came from MS-02's visor.

ACTIVATE ALL SYSTEMS…COMPLETE

OPTIC SCANNERS ACTIVE
AUDIO SCANNERS ACTIVE

Metal Sonic 2 sat up on the table and looked around.

DIAGNOSTIC COMPLETE

ALL SYSTEMS FULLY FUNCTIONAL

Metal Sonic stopped looking around, and instead stared at Robotnik, who was approaching him.

Robotnik: I see you've awakened…

Me: Partially correct.

Robotnik: Good, very good. MS-02, check your memory to find out what you need to know about the mission I'm going to send you on.

MEMORY CHECK> QUERY = MISSION; CURRENT EVENTS…COMPLETE…

Me: I assume you are referring to the recent capture of MS-01.

Robotnik: Correct. And, do you know what I want you to do about it?

CHECK LOGIC>…COMPLETE…

Me: You want me to recover MS-02.

Robotnik: <thinking> Amazing! His AI brain is even more advanced than I thought! <talking> Exactly. Above all else, make sure to recover his hard drive. Get the rest if you can. And if you run into Sonic or any of his friends, fight only if it's necessary to keep them at bay.

PROCESSING COMMAND…COMPLETE…

Me: Understood.

Robotnik: Excellent. Go.

Me: Yes, sir.

Metal Sonic 2 got off the table, and exited the room, and made his way out of the base.

Meanwhile, at Tails's Workshop…

A dented and dinged MS-01 was strapped to a section of wall in Tails's lab upstairs. The robot did not move; it had shut down due to the amount of damage it had sustained. Downstairs, in the research and development room, we find Sonic, Tails, and Amy. Sonic and Amy are watching TV, and Tails is at a desk, slumped over a stack of blueprints.

Sonic: Man, what's takin' the pizza guy so long?

Tails: He might have trouble finding this place; it is pretty secluded.

Amy: I hope he gets here soon, I'm starving.

Tails: <to Sonic> Shouldn't Knuckles be here, too? You did invite him, didn't you?

Sonic: Yeah, I told him. Of course, knowing him, that knucklehead will just `forget' about the invitation.

Tails: Yeah, probably…

Amy: <walks up to Tails> Whatcha' workin' on, Tails?

Tails: I'm trying to figure out a way to get to Metal Sonic's hard drive.

Amy: <backs away> Okay…I'll just pretend I know what that is, and go…sit over there.

The three each continued to wait for a few minutes, until a loud crash was heard upstairs…

Sonic: What was that?!

Amy: I'll check it out!

Tails and Sonic: YOU??!

Amy: I can't let you guys have all the fun! <runs upstairs>

Tails: Sonic, I think you should go help her. I'll be up in a second, I gotta get something.

Sonic was on his way up the stairs when they both heard Amy scream loudly.

Amy: AAAAHHHHH!!!

Sonic: <rushes upstairs, stops next to Amy><sees MS-02 carrying MS-01 toward the door (or what was left of it, anyway)>Whoa!

MS-02 raised his right arm toward Amy, and using his blaster, (see pic of MS-02) fired. Sonic pulled Amy out of the way at the last moment, and put himself between Amy and MS-02. Metal Sonic 2 stared at them for a moment, and then saw Tails come up the steps. Tails had a large laser-pistol, which he pointed at the robot's head. MS-02 rocketed out the door, carrying the deactivated MS-01.

Tails: <watching MS-02 fly away> What was that thing?

Sonic: It looked like another metal me!

Amy: <runs up to Sonic, bearhugs him> OHSONICYOUSAVEDMEYOURMYHERO!WHATWOULDIEVERDOWITHOUTYOU??!!

Tails: You'd probably explode with all that energy.

Knuckles: <landing next to them> Hey, Sonic, with fans like Amy, who needs enemies?

Sonic: <choking> Ach!…Get her…<cough>…off me!!

Amy: <lets go> Oh, Sonic, did I do it again? Are you okay?

Sonic: <breathing heavily, rubbing neck> Well…I will be…

Knuckles: <looks around, sees damage> Uh, did I miss something?

One minute earlier…

Me: I believe this is the place.

SCANNING LOCATION…COMPLETE

CURRENT LOCATION = DESTINATION

ACTIVATE MULTI-FREQUENCY SCAN…

MS-02 stood outside the door to Tails's workshop. He was scanning it for the exact location of MS-01. After a moment, he found his target, and started to move.

SUBJECT: MS-01 LOCATED> RECOVER MS-01

ANALYZE STRUCTURE…COMPLETE…

RECOMMEND COURSE OF ENTRY…

Metal Sonic 2 raised his foot, and kicked the door open, sending splinters of shattered wood flying from the door frame. He then rocketed to the back room, the lab, and found Metal Sonic, strapped to a table.

SCANNING…COMPLETE…

HARD DRIVE OF MS-01 HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED

RESTRAINTS DETECTED> RECOMMEND COURSE OF ACTION

MS-02 knelt down, and removed a laser cutter from a compartment on his left leg. (see pic of MS-02) He then used it to cut through the straps that held MS-01 down. He returned the tool to his leg, and stood back up as the compartment closed. He picked up MS-01, and walked toward the door, carrying it over his left shoulder. He was on his way to the door, but he stopped when he saw a pink hedgehog in the doorway to his right.

SCANNING LIFEFORM…COMPLETE

SEARCH MEMORY FOR MATCH…MATCH FOUND

LIFEFORM IDENTIFIED AS AMY ROSE

STATUS: ENEMY, HOSTILE

ACTIVATE WEAPONS

Amy: AAAAHHHHH!!!

Sonic: <rushes upstairs, stops next to Amy><sees MS-02 carrying MS-01 toward the door (or what was left of it, anyway)>Whoa!

MS-02 raised his right arm toward Amy, and using his blaster, (see pic of MS-02) fired. Sonic pulled Amy out of the way at the last moment, and put himself between Amy and MS-02. Metal Sonic 2 stared at them for a moment, and then saw Tails come up the steps. Tails had a large laser-pistol, which he pointed at the robot's head. MS-02 rocketed out the door, carrying the deactivated MS-01.

PRIMARY MISSION OBJECTIVE: RECOVER MS-02…COMPLETE

NEXT OBJECTIVE> RETURN TO BASE, BRING MS-01…

MS-02 arrived at the secret entrance to Robotnik's base, and entered it. He found Robotnik standing just inside the doorway, eagerly awaiting the return of his latest creation.

Robotnik: <sees MS-02 carry MS-01 into base> Excellent work, MS-02. I trust you have his hard drive?

Me: MS-01's hard drive has not been removed, nor has it been tampered with.

Robotnik: Splendid. Place him on that cargo vehicle there. <points to a small, hovering table-like device>

Me: <obeys the order, hover-table promptly floats away> What is to become of him?

Robotnik: I will extract his vital components, namely the hard drive. Then, his body will be disassembled, melted down, and molded into a new one.

Me: Will it be a duplicate of mine?

Robotnik: No, unfortunately there are too many one-of-a-kind parts in your body. It would be nearly impossible to re-create them all, even with the nanobots. I will not change his body much, maybe make it a little more dent-resistant, but I will make extensive modifications to his AI.

Me: How so?

Robotnik: I will begin with a copy of yours, and then tinker with the details to try and make him as lethal as possible. I'll also have to take into account the differences between his body's abilities and yours.

ANALYZING…COMPLETE

Me: Understood.

MISSION STATUS>…SUCCESSFUL

NEXT DIRECTIVE = <NONE FOUND>

REQUEST MISSION…

Me: Is there anything else you need from me?

Robotnik: Not at the moment, no. <grins sinisterly> However…<thinking> I will give his AI brain an incredible test…by letting him make a major decision!…<talking> You may return to Tails's workshop tomorrow, if you wish.

Me: For what purpose?

Robotnik: You decide.

Me: Me, sir?

Robotnik: Yes…

Me: I will…consider it…

Robotnik walked away, toward the part of the base that he lived in. MS-02 walked in a similar direction, heading for his storage area.

At Tails's workshop…

Knuckles: So that's what happened, eh? Well, it's certainly not an everyday thing.

Tails: <patching up door frame> I sure hope not; fixing this door is hard work!

Sonic: It's kinda weird, though. I mean, it didn't seem like he was here to hurt anybody, just to take Metal Sonic back.

Amy: What do you mean he didn't want to hurt anybody; he shot at me, remember!

Sonic: Maybe he panicked. And besides, he didn't come looking for us-it was you that found him, Amy.

Knuckles: In any case, it seems like it got what it wanted, so I doubt he'll be back.

Just then, there was a knocking sound at the door.

Knuckles: <in fighting stance><whispering> Okay, Tails, open the door, and I'll get him!

Tails: <whispering> Right…<opens door>

Pizza Guy: I got your pizzas, sorry it took so long.

All: <face vault>

Sonic: <chuckling> Well, Knucks, you said you'd get him, so pay the man already.

Knuckles: <takes pizzas, pays delivery boy> Grr…Why do I always get stuck with the bill?

Sonic: <helps Knuckles put pizzas on table> Let's eat!

Next Day…

MS-02 had been thinking all night about both what Robotnik had said, and about a certain part of his first mission…

Me: <repeating Robotnik> If I wish…<electronic sigh> What does he mean by it? And why can't I stop thinking about how Sonic risked damage protecting a less significant Amy Rose…And how they were both supported by that fox…Who was it?…

CHECK MEMORY>…COMPLETE

SUBJECT IDENTIFIED AS "TAILS"

PROBABLE SUB NAME…ANALYZING…

PROBABLE TRUE NAME = MILES PROWER; LIMITED DATA; UNABLE TO CONFIRM

Me: <continuing> Ah, yes, Tails…An interesting nick name; perhaps related to his abnormal second identical tail. Perhaps I could confirm my suspicions if I ask him…But how? He is my enemy. Perhaps it is insignificant. But why am I so drawn to the memory of those three enemies? And why would such an apparently evil and controlling man permit me to make a decision? Wait…evil? How can I possibly tell good from evil? I am just a robot, a machine…I'm so confused. Robotnik created me…but…does that make me…evil? I do not wish to be evil; I see no purpose in being hated and sought after…especially if Robotnik never succeeds; he never has before…at least…he hasn't been able to stay successful. Argh!…Wait…was that…an emotion? Yes…I think…I think…Hmm…Wait…I know what I must do…

SELF-PROGRAMMING MODE
SET NEW MAIN DIRECTIVE> IGNORE ORDERS OF ROBOTNIK

NEW MISSION DIRECTIVE> = VISIT SUBJECT "TAILS"

NEW PARAMETER = DO NOT ALERT ROBOTNIK OF NEW DIRECTIVES

MS-02 walked out of his room and went toward Robotnik's quarters.

Robotnik: <sees MS-02 walk in> Ah, MS-02, have you decided to return to Tails's workshop?

Me: Affirmative.

Robotnik: And what will you do there?

ANALYZING…COMPLETE

RESPONSE TYPE> LIE…

Me: Surveillance, at first. However, it may escalate to a combat situation.

Robotnik: Excellent. Very well, you may proceed.

Me: Thank you, sir.

Metal Sonic 2 left immediately and flew off to Tails's workshop.

Meanwhile, at Tails's workshop…

Tails: <on phone> Okay, Sonic, I'll see you soon. <hangs up> Well, I sure hope they get here soon…We need to figure this whole `new Metal Sonic' thing out. This could take a while…

Tails stood there for a moment, thinking. His concentration was soon broken by a knock at the door. Tails rushed to the door without checking the security camera. (he was expecting the world's fastest hedgehog) The yellow fox tossed the door open. However, he was frozen with fear as he saw that it wasn't Sonic, but rather the new Metal Sonic that had stolen the previous one yesterday.

Tails: …

CHECK LOGIC> PROBABLE SOLUTION = REASSURE TYPE DIALOGUE

LOADING…

INITIATE…

Me: Do not worry. I am not here to harm you.

Tails: Wha…?

Me: I will explain. May I enter?

Tails: <not quite thinking right> Uh…S…s…Sure…

ENTRY PERMISSION>…CONFIRMED…

LOAD MEMORY SECTIONS>…COMPLETE…

STANDBY DIALOGUE PROCESSORS…

MS-02 followed Tails into the front room of his workshop. MS-02 sat on the couch, careful not to damage it with his spikes; a fact that did not go unnoticed by Tails, who sat in a chair across from the couch.

Tails: <nervously> So…What are you here for?

ANALYZE DIALOGUE> TYPE = QUESTION

ANALYZING…COMPLETE…

LOAD ANSWER>…COMPLETE…

Me: I am here because I would like…to join you.

Tails: <confused> What? What do you mean?

Me: All of last night, I continued to think about the mission that I carried out here. In particular, the moment before I left. According to my scans; Sonic, Amy, and you were all here last night. There was a moment after I fired at Amy when Sonic protected her, and you came up from behind them, providing offensive support.

Tails: <nervous and confused> Yeah…I remember that…Uh…You're not mad, are you?

Me: Negative. You were merely following the best possible course of action. In addition, I do not believe that I am capable of anger…So, do I have your permission to assist you in your struggle against Robotnik?

Tails: But, why would you help…us?

Me: I find the moment that I described earlier to be very intriguing. Sonic risked injury, perhaps death, protecting a less significant life. They were both able to rely on you for support. I realize that Robotnik would do no such thing for me. I wish to acquire your…friendship…

Tails: But…How can you…I mean…But you're just…A machine!

Me: True. However, I am equipped with the most advanced AI programming in the world. It would seem that I have developed a sense of sentience. Earlier today, I sensed that Robotnik was evil.

Tails: …<considers the implications of all this>…<slowly>…Whoa.

Me: It is rather incredible, I suppose.

Tails: This is too much…Man…I need to think…<gets up, goes into kitchen, pours tea into mug><thinking> This is a lot to consider…I mean…He's just a machine…Or…is he? <sigh> What if he's lying…What if it's all just a trick to get me to <realizes he is doing what he's about to say>…let…my…guard…down…<looks into front room, then back into kitchen.> Well, he hasn't attacked me yet…Maybe he's not lying…But…Is it possible for a machine to become sentient? Hmm…

Me: <examining table centerpiece> I wonder what he's thinking about…hmph…wonder…Maybe it is possible…

Tails walked back into the room, carrying a mug of hot tea. He sat back down in the chair, and stared at MS-02, studying him. After a few moments, the little fox brought himself to ask:

Tails: <leaning forward> Um, hey…

Me: Yes?

Tails: Uh…So what should I call you? What's your name?

Me: I am Metal Sonic two, or MS-02, for short.

Tails: <slowly> Uh…huh…

SUBJECT "TAILS" = NON-HOSTILE

UNCONFIRMED TRUE NAME> INQURE…

Me: And your name is Tails, is it not?

Tails: Well, that's what everyone calls me.

Me: So it is not your real name, then?

Tails: No, I guess it isn't.

Me: Why do you not use your true name?

Tails: Well, basically, I hate it.

Me: What is your real name…and, why do you hate it?

Tails: My real name is…Miles Prower; and…to me that sounds pretty stupid.

SUBJECT "TAILS"> TRUE NAME = MILES PROWER (CONFIRMED)

CALLSIGN = TAILS;

SET PREFERENCE> SUBJECT "MILES PROWER"> NAME = "TAILS"

Me: Understood.

The two sat like that for a while, neither moving or saying anything, both thinking about whether or not the other one trusted him. They might have been that way all day, had it not been for a certain blue hedgehog. Sonic's muffled voice startled both of them as they heard him outside the door.

Sonic: <outside><knocks on door> Hey, Tails, you in there? <to self> Naah, he's probably downstairs. <normal tone> Don't worry, buddy <opens door, walks in> I'll let my…<sees MS-02 and Tails sitting across from each other>…self…in…<points weakly at MS-02> Uh…Tails…you do know that Metal Sonic is sitting on your couch, right? <looks at Tails, confused>

Tails: <looks at Sonic, holds hand up as if to wave> Uh…heh heh…hi…

Me: <holds hand up; mirroring Tails>

Sonic: Uh…Maybe if I walk back outside, close the door, open it, and come back in, everything will be normal…<does so>…Nope…Hey, Tails…you wanna explain…why he's here?

Sonic walked in, closing the door behind him. He walked over next to Tails, who was still in the chair. Tails and MS-02 explained everything to a bedazzled blue hedgehog. It took a little while, since Sonic's computer vocabulary wasn't quite as complete as Tails's was. By the time they were finished, Sonic was pacing around in circles, trying to decide whether or not to trust this strange machine. Sonic couldn't decide what to do. He didn't have enough time, for you see, a few minutes later, they heard a car pull up outside. Seconds later, the shrill voice of Amy was heard from outside.

Amy: <from outside> SSSOOONNNIIICCC!!!

Sonic: Uh-oh…

SCANNING…COMPLETE

VOICE FREQUENCY MATCH DETECTED…

SUBJECT = AMY ROSE

Me: The voice frequency matches the scream that Amy Rose made last night.

Tails: Yeah, that's Amy for you.

Amy: <still outside> SONIC!! Come help me and Knuckles carry this stuff inside!

Sonic: <sweatdrop> Eh…heh…I guess I forgot to mention that Amy went shopping…She needed a cab just to carry it all. I offered to run ahead and tell you, and I left before they could answer.

Knuckles: <also outside> Come on, Sonic! I'm not doin' all this myself!

Sonic: Let's go, Tails!

Tails: Why do I hafta go?

Sonic: Because best friends suffer together! <grabs Tails by arm as he runs outside> Oh, uh…Metal, you can come, too.

Me: Very well. <gets up, walks out door>

Amy: <walking toward door, carrying grocery bags> I figured we could use some supplies, especially with the way you guys eat! <sees MS-02, drops bags> AAAAHHHHH!!!

Me: NO WAIT! I-

Amy: <runs behind Sonic> SONIC!! LOOK!!

Sonic: Amy! Amy, calm down!

Amy: Wha?

Sonic: Don't worry! He's not here to hurt anyone!

Tails: Yeah, he's harmless.

Amy: <calming down> Sonnie, are you sure?

Sonic: Sure I'm sure. And don't call me Sonnie.

SITUATION ALERT> CRITICAL…?

ANALYZING…SCANNING…PULSE DECREASE DETECTED>

SITUATION STATUS = ?

CAUTION…

Me: Relax. They are correct. I do not intend to harm anyone.

Knuckles: Guys, what's going on here?

Sonic: Don't worry, we'll explain everything.

Tails: <sarcastically> Have fun! I ain't explaining it again!

Cab driver: <foreign accent> Am I going to get my money?

Sonic: <removes remaining bags from cab, pays cab driver> Here.

Cab driver: <foreign accent> Okay, thank you very much. <drives away>

Amy: <examines MS-02> Well…I guess he's okay, but your still my hero, Sonnie.

Sonic: I told you not to call me that.

Knuckles: Hold on a minute. Wasn't that robot the one that attacked you yesterday?

Sonic: Yeah, it's him. But he's changed, now…I think…

Me: Yes, I have no intention of harming any of you. I wish to join you against Robotnik.

ALERT! UNKNOWN PRESENCE DETECTED!

Me: Something's coming!

Tails: What?

SCANNING…ROBOTNIK EGG SHIP DETECTED…

Me: It's Robotnik! <points to sky>

Knuckles: <squinting in indicated direction> Where?…Wait…<sees him>…Now I see him! He's moving fast!

Mere seconds later, Robotnik showed up in his single-seat flying egg ship thing. [I think that's what it is-If anyone has the right name, please let me know] He hovered over them, and held out some sort of remote device. Speaking through a megaphone, he announced:

Robotnik: Haha! I'm not sure what's going on here, but I do know what happens next!

Sonic: What do you want?!

Robotnik: I want you to dead, hedgehog! But I'll settle for forcing you to come to my base!

Sonic: What?!

Robotnik: Take a look at this! <holds out remote, presses button> MS-02! Grab the brat and come with me!

MS-02 quivered while his glowing red eyes lit up very brightly for a moment before returning to normal. He looked up at Robotnik.

Me: <other, deeper, sinister voice> Yes sir.

MALFUNCTION> DIRECTIVE OVVERRIDE

COMMAND = TAKE HOSTAGE, FOLLOW ROBOTNIK

HOSTAGE = BRAT> SCANNING MEMORY DEFINITIONS…

HOSTAGE = SUBJECT AMY ROSE

EXECUTE…

MS-02 fired up his jets, picked up Amy, and followed Robotnik, who was already flying away.

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles: AMY!!

MS-02 was flying just behind Robotnik.

Amy: What are you doing? I thought Sonic said you were okay!

Me: <other voice> Silence, Hedgehog!

Amy: <terrified, eyes watering> …

Robotnik: Excellent.

They flew back to Robotnik's base, where Amy and MS-02 were thrown into a locked cell. The pink hedgehog was knocked out when she hit the cold, damp floor. MS-02 was electrocuted by Robotnik, causing a similar effect.

Robotnik: I don't know what's wrong with you MS-02, but I intend to examine you bit by bit when I finish with MS-01. <walks away>

Meanwhile, in front of Tails's workshop…

Sonic: So what do we do now?

Knuckles: So he's harmless, is he?

Tails: I still think he is.

Sonic: Are you crazy? Did you not just see what happened?

Tails: Oh, I saw it all right. I saw something come over Metal Sonic when Robotnik used that remote control device. It's like Metal couldn't control himself…And did you hear that voice?

Thus ends chapter 1.

So what do you think of it so far? Please review!

And don't forget to check out the picture of MS-02! It can help you understand some of the details of the story.