Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Many Members Of Tails's Family ❯ Scruffy's Profile ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Full name: Scruffy Abunai Ferrite

Nickname(s): Deadeye, Fluffy

Color: Gray

Eyes: Dark Green

Father: Pierce Turbine Ferrite

Mother: Utsukushii Ferrite (Maiden name: Himawari)

Likes: Being left alone

Dislikes: Everything else

Likeness: Grey fox with thick, ungroomed fur. His left eye has a black patch over it, and there's a bite mark in his right ear. He also has a dark brown belt that carries the holster for his laser pistol. Scruffy wears baggy military camouflage pants with cargo pockets. His shoes are black with white straps.

Special equipment: His father's laser pistol

Skills: Marksmanship, short bursts of speed, staying hidden

Weaknesses: Extreme prejudice against iguanas

Background: Scruffy was an only child, born in South America. His mother was a Japanese field medic, and was never far from her husband, Pierce. Pierce was a tank pilot in a clan war against a tribe of iguanas. The war raged on for several years, during which Scruffy was born. They were dangerous times, so his mother gave him his middle name, which is Japanese for `danger'.

When he was only five, his family had to leave, deep into enemy territory. Just as the large squadron of tanks and soldiers was about to go, they were destroyed by iguana bomber planes that had snuck in under the radar. Scruffy and some other children watched as their parents and relatives were cruelly torn away from them. They had seen so much terror, so much pain and destruction in their short lives, that they didn't realize the full extent of their loss.

Several days later, the children returned to the wreckage and dead bodies, some of which was still smoldering. They tried to recover anything they could. The only thing Scruffy could find was his father's laser pistol. He took it, and made a holster for it from some leather straps he found. They didn't have long to remember the past, since they were attacked by iguana ground troops. They took most of them prisoner, but Scruffy got away.

He grew up in the jungle, perfecting his skills. Scruffy became an expert marksman, a skilled diver, a stealthy hider, and a nimble gymnast. One day, he was cornered by a fierce pack of jaguars. He killed them, but not before one of them permanently tore up his left eye. Scruffy eventually passed out from the pain. When he woke up, he was in a poorly built hospital somewhere in a native village. He had been nursed back to health by a white bat that was in the peace core, training to be a spy. As soon as Scruffy came out of his coma, he left, knowing that he would be interrogated if they found him awake.

Scruffy escaped and fled north, finding his way to North America. He spent a few months in Mexico, where he heard about the USA. Scruffy didn't know a lot of Spanish, but he figured out that it was to the North, and it was worth getting into. He managed to get a legal permit, and became a US citizen. He drifted around the country, trying to find a purpose, and one day found a genealogy database in Utah. Scruffy scoured it for any living relatives that he might have, and one of the first names that came up was the Prower family. He discovered that they resided in New York, on the other side of the country. Scruffy made his way there, taking several years because of internal conflicts, and staying hidden, amongst other things.

Scruffy's attitude towards people is often downright mean, in part because he grew up alone. His heart is cold, as is his gaze. He carefully calculates his every move, and is very precise in its execution. Speaking of execution, Scruffy will often try to kill an iguana on sight, since he blames all of them for the loss of his family. His ability to dash instantly from one place to another over short distances is as impressive as his shooting skills; Scruffy can draw his pistol, fire it, and return it to its holster in the blink of an eye.