Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic X: Day of the Dragon ❯ To sleep perchance to dream ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“YAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRR!”
 
“Easy there Uncle. This is for your own safety.” said Chris.
 
After Sonic and Chris had brought Sam back to the lab they had him placed behind a force field to ensure that he couldn't hurt anyone.
 
“I don't know how something like this could have happened. Biology isn't my strong suit but I'll run some test and see what I come up with. But it will take some time. In the meantime I suggest you and your friends get back to preparing for the wedding Chris.”
 
“Thanks grandpa I really appreciate it.”
 
The rest of the day went along as planned, but while doing things like picking out rings or deciding what would be on the menu at the wedding reception, the only thing everyone could think about was what on earth could have turned Sam Speed into vicious fire breathing monster. As the day went on a storm rolled in that only seemed to get worse as night fell.
 
“Tails! Tails!”
 
“Cosmo?! Where are you?!”
 
“Tails! Help me!”
 
Tails started running in the direction he heard Cosmo's voice when suddenly…
 
“No… Not you!”
 
There stood Gigex holding his sword to Cosmo's throat.
 
“GIVE ME THE CHAOS EMERALDS OR SHE DIES!”
 
Tails shot straight up in bed as lightening flashed outside the soaked window. He gasped for breath, instantly he crept out of the room and down the hallway, but that really wasn't necessary because the sound of his footsteps was drowned out by the sound of the thunder and rain. He came to Cosmo's room and quietly opened the door enough to peek inside. She was sleeping peacefully. Tails breathed a sigh of relief.
 
“It was just a dream.”
 
Tails went back to his room, but he found himself unable to sleep.
 
“It was only a dream.” he told himself “Gigex is dead, you were there, you saw it happen.”
 
Tails remembered that despite Gigex's reputation as a warrior he feared death above all things.
 
“That's why he used the chaos emeralds to make himself immortal, even though it also turned him into a life sucking monster of the night… It doesn't matter, I saw him burst into flames! But what if…”
 
Tails remembered that when Gigex was still just a mortal man, a warrior in the service of Princess Morganna, he was not just good at fighting, he was also brilliant strategist. Before every siege, invasion, battle, or whatever Gigex planned for every possible situation just in case. Even his contingency plans had contingency plans.
 
“Gigex feared death above all things. Even after he became a vampire, what if he planned ahead just in case he was ever destroyed?”
 
Tails pressed the button next to the speaker on the side of his bed.
 
“Jacob, can you have one of the Guard-bots bring me something from The Blue Typhoon?”
 
“Absolutely Tails. What do you require?”
 
“It's in the Captain's quarters. Go to the red drawer in the blue desk and bring me the book inside. The combination is 0301. You got all that?”
 
“Captain's quarters, blue desk, red drawer, 0301, the book inside, got it. I shall have one of the guard-bots fetch it for you immediately.”
 
Within minutes one of the Guard-bots came knocking at Tails' door holding the book he wanted.”
 
“Thank you. That will be all.”
 
“Your welcome sir.” said the Guard-bot in an electronic voice.
 
The book Tails had brought to him was Gigex's private archive. It was a record of all Gigex's missions of conquest written by the vampire lord himself, and also served as his personal spell book. Thousands of years ago it was stolen from Gigex's palace by one of Cosmo's clan, soon Gigex came to Cosmo's home world seeking the book, but Cosmo's ancestors used some of the book's magic and with the help of one of Sonic's ancestors sealed Gigex in the sarcophagus of never ending sleep in which he would remain for thousands of years. A few months ago before Cosmo's rebirth, she appeared to Tails in a dream and told him where to find the archive, because in the afterlife her mother had sensed that soon Gigex would awake from his endless slumber. After her rebirth Cosmo helped her friends translate the archive and discover the means of defeating the vampire lord. Tails had since then held onto the book incase they ever needed it again.
 
Tails began skimming through the books pages looking for anything about Gigex's plans for keeping himself alive.
 
“Shadow warriors… Spells that can be used as attacks… Torture by means of magic… Weather manipulation… Creating homunculi… What the heck is a homunculi?”
 
“Actually when there is only one it is called a homunculus, homunculi is plural.”
 
“Cosmo? What are you doing up?”
 
“Can't sleep, the sound of the thunder keeps waking me up. What are you doing up?”
 
“Uh… Bad dream.”
 
“About Gigex?”
 
“What? How did you know?”
 
“Why else would you be skimming through his private archive?”
 
Tails hesitated and said, “I don't want to freak you out, but I've been thinking… I know we all saw Gigex burst into flames, but what if… what if he planned for that sort of thing to happen? What if he discovered a way he could cheat death even if his body was ever destroyed.”
 
Cosmo thought for a moment.
 
“It's possible but highly unlikely. Something like that would require some very powerful magic. He had to use the Chaos Emeralds to make himself a Giaki, but when he did the emeralds were scattered to the winds. From what the book said I think we can safely assume he didn't retrieve the chaos emeralds again before he was sealed in the sarcophagus of never ending sleep.”
 
“Not to be rude but you were never one of the Giaki.” said Tails.
 
“That's because people who are part plant like me are immune to the curse of the Giaki.”
 
“Be glad you are. When I was a Giaki…”
 
To tell the truth Tails tried his best to forget he ever was a Giaki. Usually when vampirism leaves someone's system so does the victims memory of it, because they are not consciously aware of their own actions. But Tails broke out of Gigex's control when he ordered him to kill Cosmo, Tails would never hurt her and instead attacked Gigex, if the situation had been any different Gigex would probably never have been slain.
 
“When I was a Giaki… I felt so… angry, at Sonic, at everyone… I blamed them all for what happened to you… I seriously wanted to kill them…”
 
“That is one of the reasons I came back. You didn't think I was just going to sit in the afterlife for all eternity while you ran around serving the greatest evil the galaxy has ever known did you? Besides you should have known I would never leave you.”
 
Tails smiled and said, “I never did tell you how good you look with long hair.”