Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic X: Day of the Dragon ❯ The Right Bait ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“I don't believe it… I just can't believe it! My new and improved dragons defeated by Thorndyke with one of his toys and his little animal friends from outer space!?! My plan is supposed to be ruining Thorndyke, but instead the whole world is looking at him and his animal friends like heroes! That tears it! No more Mr. Nice Guy! If you want to have something done right you have to do it yourself… It may take a few days before the full effects to kick in… but it will be worth it. Now I just need to the right bait… Ah but of course.”
 
(Four days later)
 
Chris went down to the lab to see how his grandfather's research on the dragons they had captured was going.
 
“Ah Chris… Is something bothering you? You know, besides the dragons that have been showing up all over the place?”
 
“Well Grandpa I've been thinking…”
 
“Don't tell me my grandson who claims he went head to toe with a life sucking vampire (As seen in Sonic X: Night of the Vampire, Chapter 14) is getting cold feet a few days before he gets married.”
 
“Grandpa it's not that… It's just… You and I both know my parents aren't perfect people. When I was a boy their hectic careers left them hardly anytime for me… I don't want to repeat their mistakes.”
 
“Chris I watched you grow up since you were just a child. Trust me; you are not your father. I know that one day you will be a very great father yourself.”
 
“Coming from you Grandpa, that means everything.”
 
“One more thing, you might want to call Sonic and the others. I've found out something about these dragons.”
 
Chris had Jacob and the Guard-bots fetch Sonic and the others.
 
“Let's review the facts.” said Chris. “Uncle Sam came to work one morning and then the other S-Team drivers claim he transformed into a dragon before their very eyes. They say he looked sick when he came in implying that something was wrong with him. People don't just spontaneously mutate into dragons.”
 
“I ran a test on Sam's blood.” said Chuck “I found something very interesting. An unidentified type of mutagen.”
 
“What's a mutagen?” asked Cream.
 
“Chow Chow?”
 
“A mutagen is something that causes changes in the genetic information of an organism, thus causing mutations.” said Tails.
 
“In other words it's the kind of stuff that turned four baby turtles into the teenage mutant ninja turtles. Right?”
 
“That's a nice way of putting it Sonic. Or in our case it turned Sam and a bunch of wayward teenagers into the dragons we see before us.” said Chuck pointing at the dragons clawing at the force fields they were behind.
 
“Is there any way to undo the mutation?” asked Cosmo.
 
“I might be able to come up with an antidote, but it will take some time. And it looks like I might have to make two different types because the mutagen in the teenagers isn't the same as the one in Sam's blood.” said Chuck.
 
“But there is still one problem.” said Knuckles. “How did the mutagen get into their systems in the first place?”
 
“Why don't we ask Sam?” said Amy.
 
“I don't think he's in a very talkative mood.” said Sonic pointing at Sam.
 
Sam was pounding at his force field and roaring like crazy.
 
“AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!! LET ME OUT OF HERE!!! GGGGGGRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOORRRRRRR!!! I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BRAINS!!!”
 
“I guess I forgot to mention that the mutations seem to have a degenerative effect on people's minds.” said Chuck.
 
“YOUR BONES WILL SNAP!!! EEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! YOUR BLOOD WILL FILL MY BELLY!!!”
 
Cosmo raised one of her hands toward Sam and her eyes started to glow.
 
“Cosmo, what are you doing?” asked Tails.
 
Cosmo didn't answer, she just kept staring at Sam and said, “Calm down.”
 
“I WILL RIP YOU ALL APART AND…”
 
Much to everyone's surprise Sam stopped yelling and sat down.
 
“Since when can you use your mental powers for mind control?” asked Knuckles.
 
“I'm kinda figuring them out as I go.” replied Cosmo.
 
“Well, ask him how the mutagen got in his system.” said Chris.
 
Cosmo did as Chris requested and Sam replied with great difficulty.
 
“He came… he came one night… told me he could give me power… to beat Sonic in a race… I couldn't refuse the offer.”
 
“Who came to you?”
 
“He didn't tell me his name.”
 
“What did he look like?”
 
“Tall… thin… pale… greasy black hair… glasses… scars on his face.”
 
“Wait, did this guy look scary beyond all reason?” asked Chris.
 
“Oh yeah.” replied Sam.
 
“Good lord.”
 
“What is it Chris?”
 
“It's Damian Dracul.”
 
“Who?” asked Sonic.
 
“Founder, owner, and lead scientist of Dracul enterprises, your competitor for the contract with Washington?” asked Chuck.
 
“The same.” replied Chris “He's one of the greatest scientists of our time, he's also a grade A nutcase. He created a performance enhancing formula for the military, a super soldier serum. But it was too unpredictable and had very serious side effects. They chose my suits of body armor instead.”
 
“So you think he wants revenge?” asked Sonic.
 
“I'm certain of it. Damian wasn't born into a world of privilege like me. He came from an abusive environment and had to get his money the hard way and claw his way to the top. And my suits must've flushed all that hard earned money he put into making his serum down the toilet. That's why he attacked me and… Oh no. Jacob get me Helen!”
 
“Sir she's not answering her phone… Wait we've got it.”
 
“Helen are you there? Helen!”
 
“HA HA HA HA HA! Can little Thorndyke come out and play?”
 
“… Where is she!?!”