Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic X: Day of the Dragon ❯ Enter the dragon's den ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“If you ever want to see your fiancé alive and well again Thorndyke you will come to Dracul Island by midnight tonight… and you will come alone. On second thought you can bring your little animal friends and bring one of your little toys with you, otherwise this isn't going to be any fun at all.”
 
“You know it's a trap.” said Knuckles.
 
“What choice do I have?” said Chris “He has Helen.”
 
“But Chris, we don't even know where Dracul island is.” said Chuck.
 
“We do now, I anticipated the risks of having a high profile military contract long ago. So I put a little tracking device in the ring I gave Helen.”
 
“We'll go aboard the Blue Typhoon. It can get you there with time to spare.”
 
“Then by all means, let's move out!”
 
Chris got his best suit ready and they were off. They followed the signal of Chris' tracking device southward across the Pacific Ocean. By 9:00pm they had just about made it.
 
“Chris, if your tracking device is correct then Dracul Island should be visible just about now.”
 
Soon Dracul Island became visible in the moon light. It was shaped like a crescent moon and was covered in palm trees, but the most distinctive thing about the island was the huge smoking volcano.
 
“If Damian has harmed one hair on Helen's head…” said Chris.
 
Suddenly there was a loud siren sounding.
 
“Tails what's going on!?!”
 
“We're picking up an unidentified audio transmission!”
 
“Patch it through.”
 
“Well Thorndyke you've made it… and with hours to spare…”
 
“Where is Helen!?!”
 
“Oh she's just fine… but if you want her you'll have to come and get her.”
 
“Tails! We have a dozen or so unidentified flying objects coming up on the radar!”
 
“Yep, it's a trap.” said Knuckles.
 
In the distance they could see a lot of dragons flying in toward them.
 
“Tails! There is something else coming up on the radar and it's really big!”
 
Suddenly something that looked like a giant sea serpent jumped out of the ocean and came flying at the Typhoon.
 
“FIRE VERTICAL THRUSTERS AT MAXIMUM!” yelled Tails.
 
The Typhoon shot upwards just in time to dodge the serpent. It looked about the length of a football field and was big enough to take a bite out of the ship.
 
“Arm all weapons! Someone get out there and keep those lizards away from the ship!” said Tails.
 
“With pleasure.” said Sonic.
 
Sonic went out to the ship's hull and waited. When they got close enough Sonic went into a spin dash and shot out at the dragons. He rammed into them and ricocheted into another one again and again until he knocked them all out of the sky.
 
“Well that takes care of them.”
 
Just then Sonic remembered that he was in midair over the ocean.
 
“Uh oh…”
 
Sonic plummeted toward the ocean below him. Suddenly something grabbed his arm and stopped falling in midair. He looked up and saw Chris flying them back up towards the ship.
 
“Thanks Chris I owe you.”
 
Chris laughed and said, “This isn't the first time I saved your life.”
 
Back up on the typhoon Knuckles and Amy where out on the ship's hull waiting for Tails' order.
 
“Knuckles, Amy, The serpent is coming over on the starboard side!”
 
“We see it.”
 
The Serpent jumped out of the ocean and at the typhoon again. Knuckles and Amy jumped at it and when they got close enough Knuckles rammed his fists down on the creatures head, and Amy smacked it with all her might. The serpent plummeted back into the ocean and Chris flew down to catch Amy and Knuckles.
 
“Now let's get to that island.”
 
Tails landed the Typhoon on the far side of the island. They left the Guard-bots to protect the ship while they made their way to the volcano. Along the way they ran into more dragons. They fought their way through until they made it to their destination.
 
“Okay, did this Damian Dracul guy just wake up one morning and say, Hey here's an idea! Mutant dragon people! Really ugly ones!” said Sonic.
 
They followed the signal of Chris' tracking device through a network of hollowed tunnels inside the volcano.
 
“We're almost there.” said Chris “She should be at the end of this hallway.”
 
“Wait.”
 
“What is it Cosmo?” asked Tails.
 
“I can sense something… Traps.”
 
“What are you some kind of hidden object detector?” asked Knuckles.
 
“Knuckles, Cosmo has a kind of sixth sense about these things. Remember?” said Tails.
 
“Well it is because of her that we were able to find the heart of Gigex.” said Amy.
 
(As seen in Night of the Vampire: Chapter 12)
 
“Okay, we will proceed with caution. Jacob activate thermal infrared vision.”
 
“Yes sir.”
 
Instantly Chris' visor changed from its normal setting to thermal infrared. But nothing came up.
 
“No laser webbing or anything. There must be a trigger somewhere around here.”
 
“We'll fly over it.” said Cosmo.
 
Cosmo, Tails, Chris, Cream, and Cheese all flew over to the other side safely. Knuckles tried running over, then suddenly he felt one of his feet sink into the floor a little. He had stepped on the trigger. Suddenly hot bursts of fire started shooting out of the wall.
 
“By the bones of my ancestors!”
 
Knuckles jumped out of the way of a fire blast but saw more being shot out in front of him. He dodged them and soon found himself facing what looked like a giant pair of jaws that kept opening and shutting. Knuckles waited for just the right moment and pounced through the jaws to the other side. Next he ran across a series of giant blocks that kept smashing into the floor, and then last but not least there was a deep wide pool of lava separating him from the others. Knuckles gathered his energies ran forward and jumped, he almost missed it but grabbed onto the ledge just in time.
 
“How are we going to get across Sonic?” asked Amy.
 
“Hold on tight and pray.” he replied.
 
Amy hugged Sonic tight, Sonic started running past the fire blasts, jumped over the giant jaws and zoomed past the crushing stones, but when he made to jump over the pool of lava Amy's added weight caused them to fall.
 
“AGH! SONIC IF WE DON'T MAKE IT OUT OF THIS I LOVE YOU!”
 
“Tell me something I don't know.” thought Sonic.
 
Suddenly they stopped in mid air.
 
“What the?”
 
They floated right back up to the edge of the cliff. Cosmo had used her telekinetic powers to save them.
 
“Phew, thanks Cosmo we both owe you one.”
 
“Actually Sonic, Amy owes Cosmo one, and you owe her four.” said Tails.
 
Chris, Knuckles, and Amy broke through the next door.
 
“Helen!”
 
“Chris!”
 
Chris and Helen embraced.
 
“How did you find me?”
 
“As long as you wear that ring I'll also come to your rescue.”
 
“How cute, in fact it almost gave me the motivation I needed to throw up.”
 
“Who said that?”
 
Suddenly there was a loud sound of approaching footsteps.
 
“It gives me great pleasure to welcome you and your friends to your own execution Thorndyke. I hope you don't get stage fright because the whole world is watching…”