Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic X: Night of the Vampire ❯ The Untold Story of Gigex ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
The time was now 1:02 AM. It had already been a long night for everyone. First Rouge had been tricked into setting Gigex free, then Gigex turned just about everyone Sonic and friends knew into vampires, Chris arrives out of no where 20 years old and donning a suit of powered body armor, Tails had been kidnapped by the Giaki and no doubt had become one of them, and now Cosmo had been reborn. Sonic could tell that Tails would be very happy, that is if they could free him from Gigex's power.
 
“Here it is I found it!” said Cosmo.
 
“You know how to defeat Gigex?” asked Sonic.
 
“Yes… but it will not be easy.”
 
“Enlighten me.”
 
“It all goes back to before Gigex became a vampire. In his early years Gigex was a valiant warrior of unmatched prowess. He liked to travel and never stayed in one place very long, then one day that all changed when he came across that which vexes all men.”
 
Cosmo turned the page in the archive; they were now at a page which showed Gigex looking up at a young woman on the balcony of a castle.
 
“Cosmo, who is that lady?” asked Cream.
 
“Cream that is Princess Morganna, his one true love.”
 
“Excuse me.” said Knuckles “Never once have I heard a story that said Gigex had fallen in love, I've always been told he was a blood thirsty butcher.”
 
“I was just getting to that. You see one day Gigex came to Morganna's kingdom, and from the moment he laid eyes on her he knew he was in love. Then he heard that she was in despair because her kingdom was being threatened by foreign invaders. Gigex went to the princess and volunteered to protect the kingdom.”
 
The next page showed a painting of Gigex standing in front of an entire army impaled on metal sticks.
 
“On the day of the invasion he showed the invaders no mercy, he butchered them, he cut off their limbs, their heads, and in the worst case he impaled them on iron spikes and left them hanging there for hours waiting to die, sending a clear message to all others what would become of them if they ever threatened Princess Morganna or her kingdom. Eventually whatever was left of the invaders fled in terror. For his services to the kingdom Morganna held Gigex in great honor, and he was praised as a hero throughout the kingdom. He stayed with Morganna for many years and served her faithfully and fell more in love with her every day.”
 
“So what happened to this Princess Morganna?” asked Amy.
 
The next page showed a painting of Gigex holding Morganna's hand.
 
“After many years of service to Morganna, Gigex finally got up the courage to ask her to marry him. He knew of her love for collecting precious gem stones for he had brought her many over the years, so he promised her he would bring her the Master Emerald to show how much he loved her. Gigex knew he must face an insurmountable force from which he might never return, but his love for Morganna gave him the courage to go through with it… I trust you know the next part Knuckles?”
 
Knuckles' fists tightened and he started to get angry. Cosmo turned the book's page and it showed a painting of Gigex and his troops fighting the Echidnas for the Master Emerald.
 
“Gigex led an all out assault against the Echidnas, the battle lasted for hours and left heavy casualties on both sides. Eventually Gigex received a message from the Princess asking him to break off the siege, it also said that she loved him more than life, that she could not live without him, and would marry him even without the Master Emerald. Gigex ordered his troops to break off the attack and they made their way back. But…”
 
“But what? What happened?” asked Chris.
 
“But before they made it back, the vengeful Echidnas shot an arrow into the castle carrying false news of Gigex's death. Morganna believing him dead flung herself from the balcony and fell to her death.”
 
Everyone looked at Knuckles.
 
“You never told us that part Knucky-poo.” said Rouge.
 
“I didn't know.” replied Knuckles. “Until now I didn't even know that Gigex had a girlfriend!”
 
The next page showed a painting of Gigex wailing in despair over Morganna's body.
 
“When Gigex returned to the castle and saw that Morganna was dead he was overcome with an unbearable grief. The pain of losing her was too much for him to live with, but not enough to cause him to die. Despite his reputation as a warrior, Gigex feared death above all things, but he didn't want to live with the pain of his loss.”
 
“So what did he do?” asked Shadow.
 
Cosmo hesitated before continuing.
 
“To rid himself of the pain he took his heart and placed it in a chest.”
 
“Literally or figuratively?” asked Bokkun.
 
“He couldn't literally put his heart in a chest!” said Bocoe.
 
“… Could he?” asked Decoe.
 
“Not long after her death Gigex discovered that Morganna had descended from a long line of enchantresses. He searched through her secret spell books looking for a way to rid himself of the pain that tormented him. So he cut out his heart and locked it away in a chest. Not long after that Gigex discovered that Morganna's interest in gemstones came from her research of the chaos emeralds. Soon he brought the seven emeralds together, and you all know the rest.”
 
“So you're saying that the key to destroying Gigex is his heart?”
 
“Yes. You destroy Gigex's heart, you destroy Gigex. But it will not be easy. Gigex keeps his heart in a chest which can only be opened with a key that Gigex keeps with him at all times.”
 
“Where is this chest?” asked Shadow.
 
“ All these years Gigex has kept it in the safest place he could think of. His own palace.”
 
“That's not good.” said Knuckles. “People have been trying to find the lost palace of Gigex for years.”
 
“Cosmo, do you imagine that is where the Giaki have taken Tails?” asked Chris.
 
“I would assume so.”
 
“Then finding the palace shouldn't be very difficult. You see I placed a little tracking device on Tails before the Giaki disappeared with him.”
 
“Okay. But before we go, Sonic do you still have the Chaos Emeralds?”
 
“I don't have them on me, but I can go and get them.”
 
“You do that. You're going to need them against Gigex.”
 
“Okay, I'll be right back.”
 
Sonic dashed off to get the Chaos Emeralds and returned with them within minutes.
 
“So we good to go?”
 
“Not yet, take this with you.”
 
Cosmo handed Sonic what looked like a necklace made of red, white, and pink roses.
 
“What's this for?”
 
“If Tails has become a Giaki then that necklace will render him immobile once it is placed upon his neck.”
 
“Okay…”
 
“And take this too.”
 
“… Dirt… This is a jar of dirt.”
 
“Yes.”
 
Sonic just stared at it for a minute.
 
“Is the jar of dirt going to help?”
 
“If you don't want it, give it back.”
 
Though Sonic couldn't imagine why he would need a jar of dirt, he had a strange feeling that he was going to need one now.
 
“No.”
 
“Then it helps.”
 
“Okay… Let's move out!”
 
As they left the workshop and made their way through the storm Cosmo thought, “Don't worry Tails… I'm coming.”