Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ The Order of Membrance ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter One

For the last four years, the Blue Blur traveled the world, as he had always wanted to do.  He explored mountains, braved the depths of canyons, raced with cheetahs, swept through storms, chased tornadoes, surfed the oceans (from the comfort of a boat, of course), and—his favorite—took on the fastest people he could find.  Not to mention all the different kinds of chili dogs they had out there.  And all the while, his continuous encounters with the misfit Dr. Robotnik and other baddies along the way only further enriched his adventures.  Sonic’s life couldn’t be better.

Today’s itinerary took him to a lovely glade bordering a heavy-looking forest.  The atmosphere was peaceful, the weather fair.  He closed his eyes, took a deep breath of the clean air, and settled himself comfortably against an old, strong oak tree.  For a little while, he napped, content laying in the shade of the summer sun.

Then, an apple fell on his head, thoroughly waking and irritating him at the same time.

“O-ow…”

Leave.”
Startled, Sonic jumped back, away from the tree.  “Who’s there?” he asked, scanning the branches.  It definitely came from above him.

“Go away.  No one must enter this place.”  It sounded like a girl’s voice.  “If you value your life, turn and never look back.  Evil lies beyond these woods.”

“Evil?”  Now that sounded like a way to kill some time.  “Well then let me help you do something about it.  Where I come from, I tackle stuff like this all the time.  Some even call me a hero—“

In the space of the flex of a finger, a silver sai sword was pointed at his throat.  Sonic dared to gulp.  Unmoving, his eyes slowly dragged from the sheen of the weapon to a purple-furred arm, to a figure shrouded in a black cloak.

“This is your last warning.  Go back to where you came from.”  Despite himself, a shiver went down Sonic’s back.  Slowly, palms bare, he raised his hands in surrender and began to back away.  Once he was a few feet away, the figure slightly lowered her arm.  Then, in a blur of motion, he vanished from sight.  Startled, the girl looked around frantically before hearing a chomping sound.  Turning back towards the tree, there stood Sonic, chewing appreciatively and smugly on the apple that fell on him.

“Thanks for the snack,” he said, winking, with his mouth half-full.  With a snarl, the figure zipped towards him, but then Sonic took off, disappearing into the forest.

His curiosity got the better of him.  He couldn’t help it.  And if there was something “evil” within these woods, it was his obligation to find it and combat it.  On and on he raced through the woods, sure that he’d lost the mysterious person until he felt a breezy zing just miss his shoulder.  Looking back, he saw the girl giving close chase, aiming at him with a dart-blower in her mouth.  Normally he would be able to outrun her, but the density of the forest forbid it.

“Look, uh…maybe we got off on the wrong foot,” he tried to negotiate as he continued to elude her through the woods.  “My name’s Sonic—I kinda got this reputation for being fast.  You’re gonna tire yourself out eventually.  How about we just calm down, and—“

Before he could finish, he was suddenly grabbed by something big.  The shock of it knocked the breath from his lungs.  A great black hand gripped him.  Following the bulging, hairy arm it was connected to and further from there, Sonic recoiled slightly realizing it was some sort of monster.  It stood on two feet, its entire body rippling with great muscles and even greater rage.  Its blood red eyes glared at him before roaring ferociously, a black tongue rippling around yellow, mottled teeth and fangs.

Panicked, Sonic tried to free himself, but the beast’s grip was too strong.  Not only that, it began to squeeze him.  Hard.  The cloaked figure in the background made not a move, not a sound; if anything, they had all but disappeared completely within the vicinity of the monster.

Still it squeezed, and Sonic felt great pain.  It became greater, greater…his vision was growing dark…it may be the end for him…

At that moment, he could’ve sworn he heard a whistle in the background, which momentarily made the monster slack his grip, and Sonic fell to the grass, trying to make his lungs work again.  Eyes lidded in pain, he saw someone apparently fighting the beast, dodging its heavy waving arms and biting teeth, slashing at it with a dagger that caught the sunlight.  A mistimed leap, and the person was swatted like a fly against a tree, hard.  They lay crumpled for a moment; Sonic tried to get on his feet to help, but his body cried in pain.  He watched helplessly as the monster bared its claws, ready to scratch its victim out of existence, when they suddenly jumped to life into the air, this time landing on the monster’s wrist.  They gracefully ran up the length of its arm before leaping one last time to impale the shining dagger into the center of its forehead.  Shrieking in pain and agony, the beast crumpled before disappearing into a cloud of black mist and smoke.

Carefully and painfully, Sonic tried to get to his feet, but to no avail.  His chest still ached terribly, and he could not lift his head off the ground more than an inch or two.  How embarrassing, he thought.  There were few things he hated; one was when he would be saved instead of doing the saving like usual.  

The figure walked up to him, knelt down, and procured a bottle with an unknown blue liquid inside.  Popping the cork, they offered it to him.  The smell was thick, heady, rich, like perfume; Sonic wrinkled his nose in dislike and turned away from it.

“Drink this,” they said, and Sonic hesitated.  That voice was familiar.  Slowly, wary, he tried to obey, but then a dart came from out of nowhere and shot the bottle out of the person’s hand, spilling its contents all over the ground.
“Assassin!!” the beast-feller shouted, and he heard the sound of movement through the trees, eventually fading as they escaped into the distant forest.  With a growl—a strangely familiar and feminine growl—the figure tried to haul Sonic to his feet, rather rashly so, as another throb of pain went through his abdomen.  He was suddenly tired.  Before his vision went dark once again, he tried to focus on this mysterious person who seemed so familiar…

Ring bracelets…a red handkerchief tying back long quilled hair…long quilled pink hair…frowning peridot eyes…it couldn’t be…

Amy!?”


AUTHOR’S NOTE

I CANNOT BELIEVE how long it had taken me to get back to this.  It’s nagged me over and over to get back to it, but hey, I believe as a writer (regardless of how experienced) who claims that “life got in the way” is no excuse for prolonging the development of a story.  Please forgive me -_- and I’ll be more attentive from here on out.

Let me know what you think and how I can make the story better! I appreciate your reading!  See you guys!!