Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ The Order of Membrance ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Four

Two days he had been alone in the dark.  It had been a while since he had eaten.  But his stomach was as empty as his heart, his mood as black as the inside of the tent they kept him in.  His thirst was becoming powerful, though.

Someone brought in a tray of food; cooked fish, some vegetables.  What he wouldn’t give for a good chili dog, or some fries.  Next to the plate was a clay cup filled with a blue liquid that smelled so sweet it made him nauseous despite his empty belly.  He recognized it as the same stuff that Amy tried to make him drink—

His tired eyes widened suddenly.  Looking up, it was none other than her, holding the food to him to eat as she held a small lamp that painted soft light on the inside of the tent.

“It’s you!” he managed to get out, struggling against the wooden post he was tied to.  She looked at him without emotion, and didn’t answer.  How could he have forgotten her?  “Amy, what’s happening here?”

“Why do you call me that?” she asked.

Her question was unexpected.  It momentarily shocked him. “That’s your name!”

“No,” she said flatly.  “My name is Lia.  You have me confused with someone else.”

“That’s impossible!  How could you forget your own name?  What did these people do to you?”

These people,” she began, her eyes narrowing dangerously, “…are my own.  I’ve been with them as long as I can remember.  You’ve got the wrong girl, idiot.”

Sonic shook his head in disbelief.  He forced his sluggish brain to think; it had been four years since he had seen Amy.  Why had he not realized it?  Had he been so caught up in his adventures that he gave no thought to her—one of his closest and oldest friends despite her unwanted romantic advances?  It made him kind of feel like a jerk.  But how in the world could Amy have come in contact with such blade-friendly people?  She could be reckless, yes, but she wasn’t completely void of common sense.  No doubt she might have stumbled upon the dangerous tribe like he had.  Therefore, he decided to assume the worst; it was the only possible explanation.

“That’s not possible.  These people must’ve brainwashed you or something.  How can you not remember who you are?  How can you not remember who I am?”

“Shhh!” she hissed, glancing behind her.  “I’m not supposed to be here,” she said in a low voice, somewhat harsh.  “I just came to check on you, to see if you were okay.  How are you feeling?”

“Are you even listening to me?” he demanded.

“Shut up!” she whispered vehemently.  “I don’t know you. And I don’t think I’d even like to, since all you’ve done is get me in trouble for saving your sorry ass.  I should’ve just—“Stopping mid-sentence, she lowered her gaze to the ground, her eyes giving away a battle going on in her thoughts.

After a moment of uncomfortable silence, Sonic said, “Thanks for that…by the way.  What was that thing anyway?  That you…saved me from?”  God, he hated being rescued.  Worse more, admitting it.

“A monster.  Something not of this world, but…from somewhere else.  They thrive in this forest, but our tribe’s existence keeps them from spreading further into the world.”  The girl raised her eyes back to his, unwaveringly serious, and for the first time since she had saved him, Sonic took a good look at her.  Before, the two of them had been roughly the same height, but he didn’t realize how only a few years could change someone so much.  With some effort, he stood up, taking care not to scrape his tied wrists around the pole he was bound to, and noticed that she had grown a good foot taller, though now an inch or two shorter than he currently was.  Surprisingly, her bodily shape was becoming more mature than the cute 12-year-old girl he recalled.  Her usual red dress and boots were replaced with that same kind of tribal dress and wrapped slippers he remembered the squirrel-woman, Loch, had worn.  The red headband she used to wear was also gone; in its place was a red handkerchief that tied back longer quilled pink hair, and her forelocks were tied with the same cloth as well.  One pink ear was pierced with a small silver ring adorned by a single colorless stone.  Her pure, expressive green eyes were really the only things he noticed had not changed; Amy always wore her heart on her sleeve, and wasn’t capable of any sinister or dishonest intention.  With that, Sonic decided to relax a little.  Despite what she was saying, there was no doubt in his mind that this girl was in fact Amy Rose.  He wasn’t sure how she ended up with these people, and why it caused her to lose her memory, but he became determined to find out why, and save his friend.

When her eyes narrowed at his lack of response, Sonic snapped out of it.  “You all fight them?”

“Yeah.  It’s been a very long struggle.  No matter how many we defeat, they keep coming back.  They threaten our village; we spend every day battling them, keeping them away from us.  And not all of us come back every time…” Sadness shone in her eyes.

“That’s unbelievable,” Sonic remarked.  She must have become very close to these people.  Who was he to try and disrupt her life as it stood at that moment?  Even if it meant she didn’t remember anything from who she used to be…he decided it wasn’t that important at the moment.  She was here, she was safe.  That was all that mattered.  And he desperately needed to get free.  So Sonic decided to play along.  For now.

At that moment, she blinked rapidly as she came out of her reverie.  “You need to eat now.”

“Thanks,” he said.  “Is it okay if I could have some water?”

“Don’t worry; there’s our elixir here.  It will help you regain your strength much faster.  Trust me.”

“I don’t like it,” he said.

“That’s not an excuse,” she snapped, annoyed again.  “Drink it.”

“No.  It smells too sweet.  Makes me sick to my stomach.  Water, please.”

She just stared at him, incredulous and shocked.  With a huff, she dropped the tray on the ground and stomped out of the tent.  Sonic chuckled to himself.  Her sassiness definitely hadn’t changed a bit.  Oh well.  Looking down at the food, he slid himself back to the ground and extended his mouth towards the fish and took a bite.  His appetite had suddenly come back with vigor, and despite the lack of modern food he was used to, he quickly worked his way through his meal, taking extreme care to accumulate the natural juices of the vegetables in his mouth to help his parched throat as he swallowed.

Suddenly, the tent opened again.  She was back.  Before he could say anything, she approached him, knelt down, and grabbed his face.  His eyes widened in shock; that indignant spark was still there in her gaze.  She was holding a different cup in her other hand; before he could ask what it was, she forced his mouth open and poured a little inside.  At first Sonic panicked, thinking she was making him drink that blue perfumed swill.  Then he noticed the familiar clean, lightly sweet taste as it rushed down and rejuvenated his sandy throat.  His eyes fell closed in relief.  After a few seconds, she took the cup of water away to allow him to breathe.  Sonic smiled at her, weakly.

“Thank you…Lia.”

“Stupid idiot,” she replied, not returning his smile, but her features lightly softening nonetheless.  “…I’m not a huge fan of the stuff either.” And she went back to help him drink more.



Thanks for reading, guys!
First off, I know this story’s interpretation of Sonic is a little different than his actual character; he’s a little more arrogant if you’ve noticed.  Amy(Lia) is also a tiny bit different, not just outwardly or from her time with the Order, but just from generally growing up.  Either way, both characters continue to discover themselves as time goes on.
I appreciate the visits!  Stay alert for the next coming chapter; it will shed some light as we explore Amy(Lia)’s point of view.  Love you guys!

silverfeather