Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ It's in the Blood ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The usual, I don't own any of the characters in SSO. The only characters I do own are, well mostly anyway, the bad guys and I hope if I did my job right you won't want them.

This is set after Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Revenge. This is based off the Anime only and the English ADV versions at that. Warning Spoilers!

Lastly, I want to say a VERY BIG thank you to my beta readers.

Chapter 3*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*< /div>

The following morning, the sun was barely up and Cleo was trying to get everyone moving faster. She was excited about seeing her family and meeting Mariabella's fiancée.

"Cleo I can't go any faster." Majic wheezed

"We're almost there, come on Majic."

"You're not carrying all the stuff."

"Arrrgh…I'm going ahead."

"We stay together," Orphen said.

"We're almost in sight of town, what could happen? Please."

"No!"

"Party pooper!"

"Brat!"

"Two bit sorcerer!"

"Nit wit! "

"Betcha can't catch me." And Cleo started tearing down towards town.

"Why, you little minx…. Hartia stay with Majic" and Orphen sprinted after her.

They were almost to the edge of town when he finally caught up to her. When she didn't stop, he tackled her and they rolled in the dirt until they stopped with him on top of her, their faces inches apart. For a brief second, she thought he was going to kiss her. When she shivered in anticipation, he pulled back and stood up, leaving her lying in the dirt.

Looking at her dusty appearance, "You're going to make a great impression."

"Gee thanks. If you hadn't tackled me I wouldn't look like this."

"You're just peeved I caught you."

Just then, Majic and Hartia appeared a few feet away in a flash of purple light.

"Thanks, Master Hartia."

"Anytime." Hartia was watching Cleo and Orphen closely.

"Why the speedy arrival?"

Ignoring Orphen's question, Hartia walked over to Cleo and offered her a hand up, as he said, "Lovely ladies should not be left laying in the dirt. Come my beauty let me help you get cleaned up."

Cleo glanced down at herself, shook her head as she laughed, and took the offered hand only to realize it was gloved. She looked up to see that Orphen had shoved Hartia aside and helped her up himself. She blushed.

Hartia pushed Orphen back and said, "Come along, oh lovely one."

The group stopped off at the tavern where Majic's father, worked and lived. Majic, Cleo and Hartia entered first. Cleo wanted to get cleaned up before she went home but honestly she hated going in there. One of her old school rivals, Nerilissa, worked as a waitress there and she was always throwing herself at Orphen. When she wasn't hurling insults at Cleo that is. Nerilissa was an attractive brunette with violet eyes and ample curves. She never lacked for male companionship.

"My goodness, isn't someone dirty, what'd you do roll around in the dust?" Cleo's excitement was forgotten, with the arrival of Nerilissa's acid tongue.

Cleo ignored her question and went to ask Majic's father if there was a room she could clean up in. "Of course." was his reply and Cleo went upstairs.

"Well, of all the rude!" Nerilissa pouted and approached Orphen, who had just walked in and missed Nerilissa's insult. "What can I get for you?" She leaned down in front of Orphen giving him a glimpse of her ample cleavage.

Hartia was shocked that no one was going down the waitress's throat for being so rude. Majic saw Hartia's reaction, and whispered. "Cleo and Nerilissa have been rivals for years, the best thing Cleo's found to do is ignore her. Otherwise it gets nasty between them in a hurry. When I was ten they had a fight. Cleo came out better and worse."

"How?"

"Cleo did more damage to Nerilissa but she was grounded for months and sent off to boarding school. Nerilissa also stole every boyfriend Cleo ever had when she was here. Nerilissa would do what Cleo wouldn't if you get my meaning." Majic blushed at the implication.

Hartia whispered back, "Why isn't Orphen defending Cleo?"

"He's never seen that side of Neri. If you noticed, we came in before Orphen so he only heard her being nice. I didn't believe Cleo previously about Neri but now, well, I know Cleo doesn't lie.

Upstairs, Cleo washed up and changed into her favorite yellow off the shoulder dress, She decided that everyone would probably see the Wolven pendant if she wore it with this outfit so she took it off and put it in her backpack. She really didn't feel like explaining it to everyone.

While they were waiting, Hartia decided he needed to report the creatures they saw and he wanted to research why one of them was able to use magic. He really didn't want to leave with that sleazy waitress hanging all over Orphen but he really needed to talk to Lai.

"Krylancelo," Hartia called breaking Orphen away from the flirting waitress. "I need to head back to the Tower and report in. Tell Cleo for me, and reassure her I'll be back before the wedding. I am her escort after all." Hartia watched as the waitress now looked at him with intense interest. `Geez, Majic was right, she wasn't interested in me until, I mentioned a connection to Cleo.'

"You're so keen on her company, why don't you wait and tell her yourself."

"I didn't think you'd notice or care either way."

Hartia laughed to himself, he really was getting under Orphen's skin about Cleo in spite of the amorous attentions of the other girl. `Maybe the fool will finally admit how he feels.'

Orphen started to say something different but instead said "Whatever."

`Or not' Hartia added.

The purple light from Hartia's departure barely faded when Cleo charged downstairs. She'd cooled down while upstairs about Nerilissa's latest, albeit accurate, insult. Instead she focused on the upcoming events in her family and became excited again. In her excitement to reach her home as quickly as possible, she ran out down the stairs, the door to the inn, up the hill to her house, up the steps and into her house without even checking to see if Orphen, Majic or Hartia were following. She found her mother and sister just sitting down for tea.

"Welcome home, Cleo"

"Hi, Mom." Cleo walked up to her mother and hugged her. "Hi, Mariabella." and hugged her.

"So…. what's your betrothed's name? When did you meet? Where did you meet? Was it love at first sight? How did he ask you? What were you wearing? Where did he propose? Where are you going to go on your honeymoon?"

"Cleo, if you'll slow down, we'll introduce you to him. He just stepped out of the room to wash up before tea. Besides where are Orphen and Majic?"

Volcan and Dortin brought in the tea service.

"What are they doing here?" Cleo asked, annoyed.

"I brought them back since we were preparing for the wedding and we needed every set of hands we could find to get all the extra rooms ready. Just keep Leki away from them and everything will be fine."

"Oh.... Leki is visiting the Wolven right now so Volcan and Dortin won't be able to annoy him."

"So where are Orphen and Majic?"

Oh....I thought they were..."

"We just arrived," Orphen interrupted, "I apologize for just coming in but someone left the door open." He shot Cleo a dirty look.

"You and Majic are always welcome here, anytime."

"Thank you, Mrs. Everlasting"

Momentarily, Mr. Agan Montevallo entered the room and sat down next to Mariabella. Cleo rubbed her fingers against her temples because of the light buzz that thrummed in her ears and caused the hairs on the back of her neck to stand up. It was very strange, but she could sense it wasn't him but something he'd been near that bothered her. Her initial impression was that although he appeared to be handsome, well mannered and well dressed, he was fake. Just like most the rich people at her school were. He also seemed to be deliberately staying across the room from her.

The fake portion did not sit well with Cleo and she took an immediate and intense dislike towards him. `What is he hiding?' Their mother introduced, Cleo to Maribella's intended.

Agan tried to start a conversation with Cleo. "I didn't realize Mariabella had a sister until she mentioned you were coming from Alenhatan. Were you going to school there?"

"No"

At Cleo's answer, he looked questioningly over at Mariabella and tried again, "So you have friends there?"

"Yes."

"Ah…so do you travel a lot?

"Yes"

The conversation continued like this for a while, with Cleo periodically rubbing her ears like something was bothering her.

Majic was really confused. This wasn't like Cleo at all, certainly not the girl who practically dragged them along in her hurry to get home. He whispered to Orphen, "What's up with Cleo? Talking is her favorite pastime."

"Remember, this is Cleo you're talking about. You're trying to make sense out of that." His eyes narrowed with concern because he thought something was wrong too.

Majic shrugged, "Well, yeah, but…"

Mrs. Everlasting stood up and said, "Would you excuse Cleo and I for a few moments?"

They exited and Agan turned to Orphen, "I'm sorry we weren't introduced. May I ask your names?"

Mariabella, "That's my fault. Mother and I introduced you to everyone, Agan, but I should have given you everyone's names. This is Orphen and Majic."

"Ah, the traveling companions you mentioned." To Orphen, "How long have you traveled with the younger Miss Everlasting?"

Orphen looked blankly at Agan for a moment until he realized he was talking about Cleo, "She and Majic have both tagged along with me for almost 3 years now."

"Wow, that's a long time. You three must be an inseparable team."

"Team definitely, inseparable…" Orphen shrugged.

Cleo, red-faced, returned to the room just as Orphen started talking. She already looked upset from the tongue-lashing she received from her mother about her behavior but she appeared hurt at Orphen's words.

Agan watched her reaction closely. He also recognized that it was time for the next part of the plan outlined by his ally. He stood up and approached where Cleo was standing.

When he was close, she said, "I apologize, I was rude earlier. I've just developed a bit of a headache suddenly," a headache, which had just gone from annoying to intensely painful.

Agan saw her pale and asked, "Are you all right?" Then he reached to lightly touch her on the arm. As soon as he touched her, she grabbed her head in pain and fainted right into his arms.

Orphen, who'd been by the window, quickly came over and said, "Let me."

"I've got her."

"She's my problem. Give her here." `There I go referring to her in the possessive again and this time I actually said it aloud. What the hell's wrong with me?' Orphen was surprised by his own reaction but he honestly didn't like the idea of this Agan, or anyone else for that matter, touching her.

Agan looked at the resolve in the younger man's eyes and shifted Cleo into Orphen's arms.

Majic was hovering and asked, "Orphen is she going to be alright?"

As soon as Agan released Cleo, she started to come to.

Orphen asked, "Is your head still hurting?"

"Yes but it's getting better."

Orphen lifted her up, carried her to the couch, laid her down and said, "Rest."

Once he laid her down, Mrs. Everlasting and Mariabella rushed up to check on Cleo and try to convince her she needed to go to the doctor.

Agan spoke to Orphen, who had returned to the window once Mariabella and Mrs. Everlasting started fussing over Cleo, "That came on suddenly. Does she have problems like this often?

"No…well, once. Yesterday, we ran into some creatures on the road."

"Creatures? You were attacked? Was everyone OK? How did just the three of you handle it?"

"We handle ourselves pretty well in a fight."

Majic added, "Can you believe it? Cleo got two with her sword. Oh and don't forget Master Hartia was there too." Orphen gave Majic a warning look; he didn't like him talking about their fighting strength.

"She did? I can't picture any relative of Mariabella's hurting a fly. And who is this Master Hartia?"

"Hartia is a friend of mine … err, ours, from the Tower of the Fang, he went back a little while ago."

"Oh, I think I see now. You're sorcerers. Is she one too?"

"No way! She's just annoying." Orphen said.

Agan thought `This may be tougher than I expected. At first glance, this team looks easy to separate. But underneath, there's a solid core of trust, which will make splitting them up difficult. I think his plan will work, though.'