Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ It's in the Blood ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*

Cleo's mother had been waiting for Orphen to arrive at the house. "She's in quite a temper, I'd go carefully if I were you." Orphen nodded and went towards the foot of the stairs, just in time to see Agan backhand Cleo across the face. Orphen screamed "NO!" as he watched Cleo start to fall backward over the railing near the top of the stairs. Orphen chanted "Towers of Heaven that Dance Around Me" and was able to catch Cleo before she hit the ground.

Mariabella had heard Cleo coming up the stairs and came out onto the landing, just as Agan backhanded Cleo. "Oh my God, Cleo!" She cried, as she reached towards Cleo, knowing she wouldn't make it in time. She saw Orphen catch Cleo and sagged against the wall relieved.

Fairly burning with rage, Orphen checked to make sure Cleo was all right. He carefully and quickly placed her on the floor and then stood over her prone form.

"Sword of Light!"

A dark shape crashed in through the skylight and blocked the spell intended for Agan.

Cleo's mother shrieked, "You'll never come near my daughters again!"

Orphen continued firing spells at Agan, but the dark shape deflected the spells, grabbed Agan and flew out the broken skylight.

Before the two adversaries were out of earshot, Agan yelled, "This isn't over. I'll have my revenge on that bitch yet!"

"I'll stop you!"

"I'll do what I want and I want her dead!" as Agan and his savior flew away.

Orphen gently picked up Cleo and waited as her mother asked a servant to go to town and fetch the doctor and Majic, before he followed Mrs. Everlasting upstairs. As he carried her to her room, inwardly Orphen raged at himself over Cleo's injury. He should have believed her. He knew Cleo was loud, selfish, bratty and a whole list of other things that he drove him crazy, but she'd never been a liar.

A little later, Volcan and Dortin escorted the doctor, Hartia, and Majic, to Cleo's room. The doctor examined Cleo. He seemed puzzled and asked if she had been hit in the side.

Hartia winced and answered. "Yes."

The doctor nodded and went back to examining her. He advised, "She's got a strong constitution and will be just fine. I still want her to stay in bed a couple of days. She has a mild concussion." He paused. "That's not why I want her on bed rest though. Somewhere along the line she ended up with a couple of cracked ribs. She also appears anemic, like she's lost a lot of blood recently. I want her to take it very easy, to prevent the bones from breaking. Broken ribs can puncture a lung, which, more often than not, is fatal. What's really strange is that it takes a pretty serious blow to crack a rib, plus the injury appears to be in the process of healing already. I'd guess it's a couple of days old."

Hartia spoke up, "She had some really bad bruises on her stomach and side two days ago. I healed the bruises slightly and some significant internal damage, but knitting bones is beyond my skill. She wouldn't tell me what happened, and when I pressed her, she claimed it was an accident. She also mentioned Dortin."

"What …. How did you? Hartia, don't you move! We'll discuss this later…. VOLCAN!!" Orphen said.

Upon hearing that, Volcan tried to make a hasty retreat from the room, only to find himself blocked by Dortin.

Dortin whispered, "Either you tell them, or I will."

Volcan started, "Dor…" when a fist landed on his head interrupting him.

In an icy voice, promising painful retribution, Orphen hissed, "Start talking."

Volcan, being Volcan, "And what's in it for me?"

"Your life."

"You weak-minded, stinking, sorcerer, you're bluffing. I'm not going to tell you anything!"

"Dortin?"

Dortin was shaking profusely by this time. "I begged him to tell you bu…."

Volcan clamped his hand over Dortin's mouth, saying, "Keep your mouth shut or I'll never speak to you again. I'll disown you as…" Volcan stopped talking and started to scream. It was abruptly cut off, as Orphen pinned him to the wall by his throat. Orphen turned back to Dortin, belying his angry body language with a gentle tone, "You were saying?"

"Th-h-the night b-b-before you and M-M-Majic left, we w-w-were outside. Volcan wanted to get something f-from yo…. town but he saw a light in the house. He climbed the b-balcony, muttering something about blackmail, and started watching Miss Cleo's room. S-Suddenly, he started laug…err…. uh, fell off the balcony. I asked him what happened, b-but I couldn't get anything out of him. Then Miss Mariabella's fiancée showed up Volcan and he asked what Volcan saw. Volcan said he saw that witc…Miss Cleo being hit in the stomach and then kicked in the sides."

Orphen closed his eyes against the pain, `Oh God, I let that happen.'

"The man gave Volcan a gold coin for his silence. Honestly, O-Orphen, I tried to get Volcan to tell you that night. When I brought her bindings and medicine, I tried to g-g-get her to tell you, too. I think s-she went to him instead." Dortin pointed to Hartia.

Majic whispered to Hartia, "It's been nice knowing you, sir. Do you want to be buried in the Shrimpman costume?"

Hartia whispered back, "I might survive if he takes his anger out on Volcan."

"Are you kidding? He'll have enough anger for both of you."

"I know." Hartia thought, `I am so dead,'

Orphen sighed, "I believe you Dortin. Now, for Volcan." Orphen dropped Volcan and cracked his knuckles menacingly. Volcan gulped loudly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"So are you going to kill me, or have me killed, for messing up your plans?" Agan inquired.

"Very tempting, but you know I can't do that. You remind me often enough of the pact. Be quiet and let me think."

Garik knew that he or his minions had an effect on Hunters, particularly the ones just coming into their powers. In fact, that was how he'd been able to keep their ranks down. A new Hunter couldn't handle the sensations of meeting with him, or others, and usually passed out, making them an easy target to eliminate. It took at least a couple of months to be desensitized to the Demon effect, as he liked to call it. He determined that there was reverse effect, or like a Hunter effect, when he or one of his minions came in close proximity to this Hunter.

She had actually affected Agan. He had checked his crystals and this was not a power that had been seen in any Hunters since the beginning of time. This was probably due in no small part to the simple fact that she was female.

This also triggered a worry in his mind. Maybe he should just outright kill her, and deal with the weaker blood of the Hunters he already had. There was a prophecy about his final defeat. It said he couldn't be killed by anything but the complete Radiant Blade. That magical blade was supposedly unable to be wielded as a sword by any man. This chit was no man.

`No, there will still be time to kill her before that becomes a danger. She doesn't even know about sword yet. I have to think of a way to take her, and get what I need from her quickly. I will not have more than 4 or 5 days with her before the deep dragon will be able to find her. The sorcerers too, but they can be fooled. Fooled? Ah…. I know just what to do.'

"Agan, I didn't count on what effect the Hunter would have on you. I still need the girl taken from the sorcerers. That will now be harder and trickery will probably be the best method. Can you and your men handle it?"

"We can."

"Good. As per our pact, I will continue to help you, although I suspect you will have to give up on the girl, Mariabella. Do you wish to void the protection on her and her mother?"

"No. I really did and do care for her and I still don't want her hurt. Besides, once we have the power you seek, I can still marry her. By force, if necessary."

"As you wish. They will be immune from any harm from me, as long as they do not reveal my name or location. I would have expected you to want revenge on Mariabella for jilting you."

"She didn't, the brat did. She's the one I want. I know you want her, but if I take her as you ask, I want to make her pay."

"Once I've had her a few days, you may do just that."