Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ It's in the Family ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The usual, I don't own any of the characters in SSO.

This is set after Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Revenge. This is based off the Anime only and the English ADV versions at that. Warning Spoilers!

Author's note: First of all a VERY big thank you to Bianka-chan. She gave me some good suggestions for the questions our heroes will ask which appear later in this chapter.

Another reminder, the language will get rough from time to time as our heroes' frustration level rises and believe me, their frustration level will rise. Also, you will notice that the characters have changed and may be somewhat OOC. Please keep in mind the events that happened in It's in the Blood and remember that will have far reaching effects….. that said I am doing my best to keep them in character.

Chapter 2 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The following morning, Orphen was up early, fully expecting Cleo to follow suit since she'd been awake during the night. `After all,' he reasoned, `she's the morning person, not me.' Breakfast had been delivered, cleared away and lunch was approaching, and Orphen was alternately sitting in a chair by the bed or pacing the room. He finally mentioned to Tistiny, when she checked in on him, that Cleo had been up during the night but he was worried that she wasn't waking now.

With a grin, Tistiny answered, "Ah….so I missed that call of nature. Cleo and Alik have both made a brief visit to consciousness for the necessary. Apparently, you weren't in the room for the other time. I would expect them to be up today, never fear." Tistiny looked in his eyes as she was speaking and saw the hurt there for a brief second before he closed off his emotions again. She realized then, she should have advised him of Cleo's and Alik's movements. "I apologize, I should have told you that they'd been up once previously."

"How can you be so calm?"

"I would think you could understand that. They are sleeping. They are not comatose. They are not seriously injured. They are not in pain and they certainly are not dead. We've faced the worst; it will only get better from here."

Cleo moved restlessly in the bed, and muttered drowsily, "Sheesh, Mom, you s'nd like Orphen stressing out. I wanna sleep, so go `way," and rolled over on her side.

Tistiny and Orphen both smiled and laughed slightly. Tistiny, with a motherly, all-knowing look, added in a whisper, "As you can see, her more normal sleep habits are in effect now. I would expect them to be awake soon. If noise bothers her now, then when the afternoon light hits her window, she will wake quickly. Once Alik hears her moving, he'll probably wake, too."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Late that afternoon, as Tistiny predicted, Alik and Cleo woke. In classic Cleo mode, her first words were, "I'm hungry."

Her phrase was almost immediately copied in a younger voice when Alik said the same. Laughing, a very relieved Orphen hurried downstairs to let everyone know and to comply with their requests.

A light dinner was sent for and everyone gathered to welcome the sleepers back to wakefulness. After dinner, Tistiny and Maribella went downstairs. Hartia, Orphen, Majic, Alik and Cleo were gathered in Cleo's room to start to try and sort out some of the recent events. They hadn't really started any discussion when Argenthua, the lead Wolven who'd spoken to Cleo, Alik and Orphen the first night at the mansion, jumped up on the balcony and nosed the window. Orphen let her and her two Wolven companions into the room.

Argenthua's form shimmered and shifted until a woman with long blue-black hair and green eyes appeared before them. She was dressed in blue pants and a yellow shirt, very like one of Cleo's outfits, and wore a Wolven talisman, similar to the one Cleo had been given.

"I am Argenthua and I speak for the Wolven. With me are Policarpos and Polikapi. Whom do I address?"

Cleo introduced all who weren't present the last time the Wolven made their presence known. When she got to Hartia, the Wolven female laughed slightly and stated, "We've met."

Orphen looked at Hartia and raised an eyebrow in a silent question.

Hartia looked sheepish as he answered. "The first night, I was scouting outside the mansion. I saw a wolf and …well…I attacked. Ah…When I recovered, it was explained to me that the Wolven were on guard and I should go get some rest. Apparently, Leki vouched for me and I was released."

Argenthua announced, "Now is the time for questions to be asked and answered."

Hartia asked the first question, "How did you change form?"

"When it is necessary to speak with a number of humans, we have found it best to assume a similar form. To that end, the Heavenly Ones created several talismans for Wolven to wear, which enable a shift to a human form. I am wearing one. My companions do not have one."

"Why are you so much smaller than the Wolven we encountered in the forest?" Majic asked.

"When we travel abroad outside of our forest, we adjust our size to resemble normal wolves. Also, you only encountered the fully mature adults on your previous visit."

Hartia nodded and continued with another question, "Who or what are we up against?"

Argenthua answered, "It is a demon."

"We know that. Krylancelo saw that winged demon, but it's only one. So, the Woven make their presence known now because of this demon. Why him? I mean, the demons died out mostly, right? Even if they didn't, how many could there be?"

"Hundreds possibly thousands."

"What?!?" Everyone cried in shock.

"You heard me. Just because you have not seen them does not mean they are not there."

"Wait, the Tower's seer's vision described red eyes. Demons don't have red eyes. This Garik can't be a true demon, can he?"

"Lai's vision was correct. He is a true and VERY powerful Demon." Hartia's eyes got very big when Argenthua announced Lai's name, even though no one had mentioned it.

Hartia muttered, "But how…" only to be cut off by a glare from Orphen.

Barely audible, Cleo asked, "That's not all he is, is he?"

"No, Huntress, he is more. He is the Demon Lord, the destroyer of the balance."

More to himself than an actual question for anyone, Hartia muttered, "Damn, he's right again. Why is Garik attacking now? And just once, couldn't Lai's visions be nice or safe or even wrong? Why is it always something out for blood? Or why can't we be attacked by something soft, fuzzy, and cute? Or female, scantily clad, with curves? Non-lethal would be even better." Orphen rolled his eyes at Hartia's rant.

Arching an eyebrow, Argenthua eyed Hartia, "The questions I can answer are that he was released by one who searched for him. A seer's lot in life is primarily to see the evil in the world and try to prevent it or prepare others for it. And the only blood he currently seeks is that of the Hunters. Especially the Alpha Hunter's blood." When she mentioned the Alpha Hunter, she looked directly at Cleo. Cleo flinched.

"Are you implying that Cleo is an Alpha Hunter?" Majic asked.

"Not an Alpha Hunter, The Alpha Hunter."

"Is that particular Hunter, also called the First Hunter?" Orphen asked searching for answers to his dream.

"No. First would imply the first Hunter ever. The Alpha is the lead Hunter for each generation."

Surprised, Hartia asked, "Then who's the Hunter training at the Tower?"

"Another of the Hunter line."

"What is a Hunter?" Majic queried.

"The Hunters now are the descendants of the original cross between the Heavenly Ones and Demons. They bring the grace, agility and fighting abilities of the Heavenly Ones and the spell immunity of the Demons. They are the front-line offense against Demons and, to some extent, against renegade or demon-corrupted sorcerers. I believe you refer to the demon-corrupted sorcerers as Blood Sorcerers."

"What do you know about the First Hunter?" Orphen added.

"I don't have that information."

"Then what else can you tell us about the Alpha?" Majic asked.

"Like the Wolven or canine packs, the Hunters have an Alpha or group leader. This Hunter is the strongest and will be the one who inherits and carries the Radiant Blade." Policarpos and Polikapi growled when Argenthua mentioned the Radiant Blade.

Pointedly looking at Cleo, Orphen asked, "What did he want with Cleo's and the other Hunters' blood?"

Cleo paled and began to tremble. In spite of herself, she leaned into Orphen, who was sitting next to her on a small couch. She buried her face in his chest, thinking, `I don't want to face or even think about what happened in there. Please, please don't ask.' Leki barked and growled at Argenthua and Orphen. Cleo heard him, [Not ready. Leave alone.]

"Beyond using the Hunter's blood to hasten the rejuvenation of his strength, we, the Wolven, do not know. Sorcerer, did he say anything to you outside the cave?"

"He said he has an army to raise and a world to dominate. Apparently, he needs her help to find his army." He looked at Cleo for confirmation. She nodded, but didn't look up. Orphen brought his arm down and rested it on her shoulders, trying to offer her some comfort, albeit awkwardly. It was driving him to distraction, not knowing what happened, but he realized it was probably too soon to ask for more details.

Hartia could tell that Cleo wasn't ready to continue on this line of questioning and he was concerned. Although Orphen seemed to be patient right now, if not deterred, he would press her for details before she was really ready. Hartia tried to changed topics by asking, "So, how many Hunters are there?"

Argenthua thought a moment and looked at her companions. "Four."

Majic who was sitting on the arm of the couch, looked down at Alik, who was clinging to Cleo. "How many Hunters are ready to fight?"

She answered, "Presently, none. As soon as they are healthy and trained, two."

Hartia choked out a shocked laugh, "Only two against hordes of demons? That's impossible! How can they stand against those odds?"

She replied, "A properly teamed Hunter can easily take down many demons before succumbing to death."

"Are you saying that the Hunters were just thrown in the path of demons like…like cannon fodder?"

"That would be an apt analogy."

"So you let the Hunters do the grunt work, but you don't care if you throw away the resources you've already admitted you have precious few of. Don't you have a backup?"

Argenthua grimaced and growled slightly to her companions who growled and barked back before answering, "The sorcerers."

"Didn't you just say that the Demon part of the Hunters make them immune to the Sorcerer's magic? How can the sorcerers be the back-up to the Hunters against the demons?"

"The Hunter is partnered with a Sorcerer to utilize their healing magic."

"Then what was up with the intense training I was told I would be taking part of with the Hunter back at the Tower?"

"Doesn't your healing magic work best if trust is present?"

"Well….yes."

"A large part of the training is building that trust and belief in each other."

Orphen snorted in disbelief.

"You have something to add?" Argenthua asked.

"As I keep telling my apprentice, a sorcerers belief in himself is the critical point. Sorcery is not a team activity."

"It is a pity you think that way. A Hunter's success is dependant on that teamwork." Argenthua said with real sadness in her voice. Orphen glared back at her but looked down at Cleo who was still trying to bury herself in his shoulder.

"Can the Wolven protect the hunters from demons?" Orphen asked, still watching Cleo closely.

Argenthua replied, "Yes. That is what we are doing now, is it not?"

Cleo looked up after Orphen's question and watched Argenthua's reaction as she asked, "For how long?"

Blanching slightly, she replied, "The Wolven protection cannot last indefinitely."

"If it is possible for the Wolven to protect the Hunters against Garik, why can't they destroy Garik?" Majic asked.

"The powers of Garik and his followers are too closely matched to the Wolven's. The result would be a draw at great cost in lives and damage to both sides. At one time there was a truce between the demons and all the breeds of dragons, including the Wolven, until Garik broke it. This freed us to openly attack back. We meddled in his affairs even before but we could not openly join the growing alliance against him. The breaking of the truce allowed us to openly help the Heavenly Ones in the creation of the Hunters to eliminate Garik, and the organization of his tools - the sorcerers. Also, the fulfillment of the Prophecy."

Cleo sent Alik for some water from the kitchen. [Make sure he goes, Leki!] He jumped down and followed Alik. As soon as Alik was out of the room, Cleo turned angrily on Argenthua, "Why did you let him kill the families if you're protecting us now?"

The Wolven female looked unhappy and more than a little angry herself, although her voice did not reflect any emotion when she answered, "As we can only answer questions. We can only protect when asked or called. Leiakipenipu, or Leki as he is called by you humans, asked, on behalf of his adoptive mother."

Cleo rose shakily to her feet and cried, "That's just an excuse!"

"Cleo, sit down before you fall down!" Orphen worried as he pulled her back down into a seated position. She glared at him angrily, but sat.

"If not for your inaction, we would have more hunters to face this. Possibly some that might have been fully trained who might know what the hell they're doing. Me, I-I don't even know exactly… what being a Hunter means?"

"To answer the question you asked," Again, Cleo sensed hidden frustration on the part of the Wolven female as she answered, "in addition to what I've mentioned before, it means you have a familiar to aid your battles and act as an extra set of eyes. It means you can wield the Radiant Blade. It means you, as the Alpha hunter, cannot be seen by seers. Scrying is possible but difficult. It means that you will be singularly focused on the demons in any battle. It means it is your responsibility to take on this evil no matter what the cost."

"Why do the Wolven protect?" Majic asked following Hartia's previous attempt to shift the talk away from Cleo.

"It is part of our agreement in the alliance."

"What alliance are you talking about?" Hartia asked

"The alliance was set up by the Heavenly Ones to join the Humans, the Sorcerers, the Wolven and the newly created Hunters, to take action against Garik."

Leki re-entered the room and said to Cleo [Mother fix smelly hot water and sweets. Putting pup to bed]

After thinking a few moments, Hartia continued the questioning, "So, what is it between you and the demons?"

"We're ancient enemies."

"Yes and why?"

"You might ask why there are two Towers of sorcery and why they don't like each other. When there are two very powerful types of beings, typically they will not like each other unless one is dominant. If the powers and skills are too equal, a sort of agreement to dislike each other is established, without open battle, but the resentment grows. Dragons and Demons have been on the continent longer than Humans and there has been more time for that resentment to grow."

"Why wasn't he killed before?" Orphen demanded.

Before Argenthua answered, Leki yipped and growled at her. Cleo heard what Leki said, [He knows some already. Dream told. Talked in sleep.] She made a mental note to ask Orphen about that after this was over. She stifled a yawn, as, to her disgust, she was already tired and getting drowsy. It was like she had absolutely no energy right now.

Argenthua nodded slightly at Leki. She understood why Orphen didn't say anything. "He was only sealed at a great price."

"You spoke of a prophecy, what is it exactly?" Orphen asked.

"There was a Prophecy set forth by one of the early human seers. The simple interpretation of the Prophecy's words and symbols is: A bonded trio will come, supported by the six, to destroy Garik, with the Radiant Blade." Argenthua looked closely at Cleo and growled lightly at Leki. He replied, [Yes.]

"We are not finished. The Huntress is tired. We will continue on the morrow." Immediately after she said that, she shifted back into Wolven form and she and her companions jumped out the window.

Just after the Wolven left, Tistiny entered the room with a tea set. She saw that the discussion was breaking up. "Well, I'll take this back downstairs for anyone who's interested. There's also a fresh pot of coffee downstairs for those who want it." She turned to leave then turned back to Cleo, "Before you get to bed dear, Alik is waiting for you to say good night."

"I'll be right there Mom." Cleo said as she stood, only to find herself swept up into Orphen's arms. "I can walk you know!"

"We're stopping because you're tired. You think I'm going to let you wear yourself out?" In a whisper in her ear, "Humor me, this has been the week from hell for me."

She looked up at him in surprise but stopped struggling and said back. "I need to walk in the room or Alik will worry."

Orphen groaned but he knew she was right. `Arrgh…this loving someone is too much trouble. When did I get so weak? When did I come to need her so much?' He resolved to think on that and decide how best to deal with it, but later. First, he knew that they (Hartia, Majic and he) would need to have an extended discussion about the revelations from tonight. He decided that since Tistiny had tea and coffee ready, the discussion would be continued downstairs and they could formulate plans for the following evening's discussion.

He let her down to help her walk, with support, to Alik's room next door. She went in and tucked the boy in, murmuring reassurances. Unbidden, an image of Cleo tucking in a child of theirs entered his mind and was quickly banished. With a mental shake he thought, `Damn that doctor for making me think about that. It's not going to happen. I can't let it.'

He escorted her back to her room and put her back to bed. She rolled over and promptly went back to sleep.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Everyone, except the Hunters, adjourned downstairs to continue the discussion over the tea and coffee Tistiny prepared. They first discussed the strategy for the questions they would ask with the next session with the Wolven the following night. Later they started discussing the additional problems they would encounter going to the Tower.

"Why don't we just all Teleport there?" Hartia asked. "You and I both have the range to take one person with us."

"But someone would have to take two. I haven't taught Teleport to Majic yet. Besides you know it's not really healthy too soon after injuries."

"True and a distance like that shouldn't be tried for at least a year. Ok ….so we're traveling by road to the Tower. That's going to be rough. Will the Wolven escort us or will we be on our own?"

"You heard the Wolven, if we ask, they will escort. That will make things easier."

"Of course the hard part will be keeping them," Majic gestured upstairs, "out of trouble and together."

With a snicker Hartia said, "Okay, you just announced an impossible task but I have a thought. From what you've both told me, she gets in the most trouble when she's trying to help and gets in the way. Right?" Majic and Orphen both nodded, "Give her an assignment."

Laughing Orphen picked up where Hartia's train of thought was going, "Like guarding Alik and suddenly we have our two targets for protection together and still. She'd make him stay put and in turn we achieve our goal."

"I guess that means Alik is going to be covered by our vow?" Majic asked.

"Yeah, of course. We….I…failed and that's not going to happen again." Orphen said with conviction.

"Krylancelo, you can't take all the blame."

"If I had gone after him when he hit her, I could have…"

"No, you would have been taken out by the demon if you had pursued Agan. Where would she be then? Do you really want to think what would have happened? At least now, we know what we're up against."

Orphen was obviously getting angry and was about to lash out at Hartia when Majic interrupted. "Master, at least now we can gain the knowledge and have the resources to combat this. We need to look forward, not back. You were the one who reminded me about that."

"Has anyone ever told you how unbecoming it is to outwit your Elders? Hartia, I blame you. He didn't have such a smart mouth until he started hanging around with you." Orphen reached up and scratched the back of his head and muttered very softly to Majic, "Thanks."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A servant returned with some clothes to Alik's room. Alik was already sound asleep when the maid noticed that the lamp was in need of a refill. She left a candle in the room and took the lamp downstairs with her.

When the maid closed the door the candle was blown out.

Cleo woke with a start as she realized that Alik was screaming in the next room. She was up and out of her room almost before she realized it. When she entered the room, it was completely dark and she found that without the light and the curtains drawn it felt like the cells they had been in. She hurried to him, picked him up and climbed in the bed with him. As he clung to her, he was sobbing, "Stop! Don't hurt her. I'll be good. Don't…"

With a horrified gasp, Cleo realized what was scaring him. "Alik, I'm right here. I'm all right. No one's hurting me."

He seemed to come out of the dream and realize she was there, "Really?"

"Yes, really. No one's going to hurt you anymore." As Cleo spoke, the door to the room opened and she saw Orphen, Hartia, Majic, her mother, and Mariabella looking anxiously in.

"Are you ok?" Alik looked worriedly up at her. "You won't leave me will you?"

Cleo made a slight shooing gesture to the gathered crowd and answered, "I'm fine and I'm not going anywhere."

Tistiny shooed the others away as she shut the door, leaving Cleo and Alik alone. The only one who didn't return downstairs was Orphen. "Give them a few minutes and then you probably want to get her back to your room. You could use more rest, too."

"My room?"

"Right….after Alik being this upset, do you really think she's going to want to be alone?"

"Well….but."

"Listen, you need her close to you and she needs you close to her. Do you really think I would deny or oppose that? Unless your intentions aren't honorable?"

"No, of course, they are but…"

"Well…then there's no problem, is there?"

Before Orphen could answer, they saw the maid coming down the hall with a lit lamp. She started to enter Alik's room.

"What are you doing?" Orphen asked.

"I was returning the lamp I just finished filling."

"You took the light out of the boy's room!? How could you, after all he's been through? Weren't you instructed to keep a light in the room, always?"

The maid cowered in fear at Orphen's angry outburst. She stammered, "I-I left a candle."

Tistiny put a calming hand on Orphen's shoulder, "I told her to check the levels of the lamps around the house and that included Alik's room. If she left a candle, it could have blown out."

Orphen immediately peeked in the room and, sure enough, an unlit candle was sitting on the tabletop. He smiled briefly at Cleo and closed the door. He addressed the maid, who'd handed the lamp to Tistiny, "I'm sorry."

"It's alright, any father would worry." The maid curtsied and returned to her duties.

"But…." Orphen started, his mouth falling open in utter shock.

"Orphen, maybe not by blood, but if he isn't looking at you that way now, he will soon. You'd best be ready."

"I'm no good with kids."

"You've done fine with Majic and this is just one step further. Besides, you'll have help, Cleo and I. Don't worry, you'll be fine."

"Yes, ma'am." She raised an eyebrow in a gesture that reminded him strongly of Cleo. "Err…Tistiny."

"Better. Now, go get her moving back to bed. We were just about finished anyway. I'll let them know you won't be back down and get Majic to bed." She handed him the lamp and turned to go back downstairs.

Orphen re-entered the room, placed the lamp back on the table and walked to the bed. Alik was almost asleep in Cleo's arms, but she was reassuring him, saying, "I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

Sleepily, he said, "Wha' `bout you? Who protect you?"

Orphen spoke up, "That's my job. I'll protect you both. I won't let anything happen to you or Cleo."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"And he always keeps his promises." Cleo added.

"Good." He whispered as he returned to sleep. Cleo gently disentangled herself from Alik, gave him a quick kiss on the forehead and wearily stood. She walked to the door and they both exited.

As soon as they were out the door, Cleo leaned into Orphen. He realized she was almost asleep herself so he picked her up and carried her back to her room….well, their room.

Once in his arms, instead of struggling again she snuggled into him. He thought, `This is nice.' as he leaned his head down to nuzzle her hair. When he realized what he was doing and he stiffened slightly, `I just resolved that I can't let this happen, that I can't continue this. And what happens? At the first opportunity, I'm …of all things…cuddling her closer and liking it. I can't let this continue. I won't let it go on …oh, who am I kidding, until she..er...they, are well I'm going to have to stay around...but I must get some distance back……'

By this time, he'd gotten to the room and tucked her into bed. He sat on the edge of the bed for a moment before joining her. `I guess I'll start tomorrow.' was his last thought before he fell asleep with her in his arms.