Sorcerer Stabber Orphen Fan Fiction ❯ It's in the Family ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The usual, I don't own any of the characters in SSO.

This is set after Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Revenge. This is based off the Anime only and the English ADV versions at that. Warning Spoilers!

Chapter 11*~*~*~*~*~*

Exactly as Tistiny predicted, Cleo came downstairs a few minutes later and snuck out, with Leki. Of course, Orphen was waiting for her, and immediately followed. Keeping out of her line of sight, he leaned against a tree to watch her as she wondered around the garden, with Leki playing at her heels, and a Wolven visible from the edge of grounds. Seeing the Wolven, he felt he could breathe again and relaxed a little. She was being careful, instead rushing into things. He watched as she stopped and turned to face into the breeze, causing her long, golden hair to flow out behind her. During these times when she was quiet and had a peaceful expression on her face, she quite literally took his breath away.

Cleo was watching the sun set, highlighting the clouds gathering on the horizon, and finally calming down after the events earlier in the day. She sighed as she turned into the evening wind, inhaling the fresh air, with the hint of moisture heralding the coming of rain. She loved this time of day. It helped her relax, even though she knew she still had a discussion with Orphen to look forward to, about her behavior, which she was frankly ashamed of. She'd been so angry when she found out what had been going on behind her back, until she remembered two things: she didn't ask, and she didn't tell him what she was doing, either. They were both equally at fault. She remembered when Alik asked about the dagger throwing; she had thought something was up. She should have pursued it, but didn't, so she shouldn't really be mad at Orphen. Although it was a shock and a surprise, it was nice to know he was going out of his way to spend time with Alik, almost like Orphen was embracing the big brother or father figure role.

She was disgusted with herself for the fact that she had been terrified through the whole thing earlier in the day. She had frozen and that had never happened before. `I was really, really scared. I have so much more to lose now. Not just my mother and sister, but the possible, dare I dream, relationship with Orphen. Finally telling Majic he is like a brother to me. My… Alik...my son, I guess. He reacted because of me. And then there's Shrimpy…not quite sure what to do about him. I guess I'll just have to find a girl for him, but who would put up with Black Tiger…or, rather, New Black Tiger? Lord, she'd have to have the patience of a saint and a wicked sense of humor. Actually, that sounds like Mariabella, but she's been so serious since…oh, well, that's ancient history. It might do both of them some good if they went out, really. But is there anyone else? I remember several sorceresses at the Tower, and, when they weren't drooling over `Krylancelo,' they were definitely interested in him. Erris seemed to think they were. Erris? Nah…too young. Besides, she's interested in Majic, and vice versa.'

She continued musing along these lines until she shivered, realizing the sun was almost down. She had wrapped her arms around herself, hugging her shoulders, and was trying to decide if she should go in, when two hands were placed on her shoulders and pulled her back against a very familiar warm body. Once she was enfolded in his embrace, she heard Orphen whisper in her ear. "Yell at me."

"Why?"

"I should have told you I was teaching Alik to use a dagger."

At those quiet words, she turned in his arms to see his face and look in his eyes as she answered, "Well…I should have told you about teaching him to throw darts."

"Yes, you should have." He answered matter-of-factly.

Grinning, pleased that he wasn't shouting she replied, "We won't fall for that one again."

"Damn right."

"Okay, we're agreed there. I suspect my mother is going to leave the subject of punishment to us. So, what shall we do with the boy?"

"You and Alik are a lot alike. What did your parents do when you got in trouble?"

"Me? I was the good one. Mariabella…" Cleo said, innocently.

He snorted in disbelief, "You just got caught faster." He laughed when she harrumphed in indignation, "So what did they do?"

"Pretty much anything that restricted my outdoor activities. Being restricted to the house, being forced to stay in my room, doing chores I hated…" Her whole face lit up excitedly, as she started pulling away from his arms to head for the house, "Oh… I've got it!" Clasping Orphen's arm, she started dragging him with her. Leki followed them at a more sedate pace.

As soon as they entered the house, she called out, "Mother? Where are you?"

"She's in the study." Orphen stated and Cleo redirected them there.

Tistiny was sitting in the chair by the fire, looking at a photo album, when she looked up at Cleo and Orphen's entry. She smiled to see the two together and not arguing.

"Mom, when was the last time the library was dusted and organized?"

With an understanding grin, Tistiny answered, "The last time it was really done well was quite a few years ago. You know I always kept it dusty in there, just in case."

"Good." Cleo replied as she headed for the stairs, dragging Orphen along. Just as they got to the top of the stairs, Orphen stopped, realizing he needed an explanation before they entered Alik's room. When he stopped, Cleo, still holding onto his arm, was jerked back slightly at the cessation of his movement. She lost her balance and fell back into his arms.

Bewildered, she looked up at him. "Why'd you stop?"

"Before we see him, we need to talk. Now, what about the library?"

"Oh… I'm sorry. You asked what my punishments were and the one I hated the most was dusting the books in the library and organizing it. I know that, although Alik likes to read, he dislikes being stuck inside doing sedentary jobs, um…like me…" She added, blushing. "I figured that would be a great punishment and quite effective, I know I always thought twice about doing something wrong with that looming over my head."

"You're amazing." He pulled her close and gave her a quick kiss on the forehead.

She blushed slightly, because of the compliment and the kiss. She really turned red when they heard three familiar voices from downstairs.

Chanting in unison, Hartia, Mariabella and Majic laughingly said. "Get a room!"

Orphen glared down at the trio, thinking, `What kind of trouble will I get in if I try to do them bodily harm? No…what can I get away with?'

He was still contemplating maiming the three of them, when he noticed that Tistiny had left the study downstairs and Cleo was addressing her with a slight wink at him.

"Mother! Did you hear their suggestion?"

"Yes I did." Tistiny replied before turning to Mariabella, "One would expect as the elder, you would be the first to `get a room' with a nice young man. Yet, I haven't seen any progress towards that, a few near misses, but little progress. I would like grandchildren from you some day, you know. After all, Cleo's already provided Alik. You would do well to remember that before teasing your sister."

Mariabella blushed profusely before stammering, "I-I um…I'm going to go make some tea." She turned and hurried towards the kitchen.

"Hmmm…looks like I'm going to have to present her with more prospects…" Tistiny said musing as she leveled her gaze at Hartia.

Hartia had focused on one word, `Prospects…prospects? Wait a minute? I don't think so!'

"Now…Mother…What did Dad always about your matchmaking?" Cleo said interrupting Hartia's thoughts.

"And when was I wrong, Dear?" Tistiny said as she turned away from Hartia and focused on Majic. "Of course, we can't have anyone left out. Now…tell me about this Erris girl."

Majic blushed and looked slightly panicked before sputtering, "I-I-I'm supposed to be going to Dr. Hales for training…that's right, training, and um…Master Hartia you're supposed to come with me."

"I'll be along in a bit Majic." Hartia said.

Majic looked surprised, but took the escape for what it was and left.

Hartia stepped close to Tistiny and whispered, "I need to talk to you." He looked towards the study, "Shall we?"

Orphen watched Hartia's body language and had seen that when Tistiny teased about prospects, Hartia tensed. `He's really serious about her. Hmmm…but he obviously doesn't want Cleo to know, or he'd have been more open. Maybe Mariabella isn't…no, she is….gah…who knows. I have enough of a mess to worry about and someone needs to be distracted before she figures it out.' Orphen cleared his throat gaining Cleo's attention, "Don't we have someone to talk to?"

Watching curiously as Hartia and her mother walked into the study, Cleo was brought back to the task at hand by Orphen's words, and nodded as she turned back to Alik's door. She glanced down an saw Leki standing there expectantly and, not wanting him to be an added distraction to the discussion to come, she told him to wait for her and Alik in the library.

Alik was sitting on the bed in his room, replaying what had happened earlier. It was his fault, he went against what both of them said. He'd been told that, although he could carry the dagger, he wasn't to draw it until Orphen said it was okay. Cleo, or Mama Cleo as Alik thought of her, had told him throwing a dagger was different than darts and, boy, was she right. `I hurt her, I hurt her…' was the thought he kept chanting in his mind. He wanted to do something. Anything would be better than just sitting in his room, replaying what happened. He heard some voices outside in the hall so he figured they were coming up. He knew why he was in trouble, and that he would be punished for disobeying and the trickery. Mama Cleo had said that she was angry and wanted to wait until she'd calmed down. That was the same line his real mother always used when she needed to talk to his dad first, usually because Dad was in just as much trouble.

There was a soft knock on the door, just before Cleo and Orphen opened it and entered. He looked up and saw that whatever they had talked about they were now calm and in agreement. As Cleo stepped in, she kicked one of Alik's toys, a ball, closer to the bed. She gave Alik a look that said, `Weren't you told to put this up.'

"Um…hi," Alik said nervously as he fidgeted with the bed covers.

"First, how are you holding up?"

"Um…fine."

"Not scared?"

"Um…a little. I-I…I'm sorry I hurt you I didn't mean to." Alik said in a rush, running the words together.

Understanding his rapid speech, Cleo answered, "Thank you for the apology. Why did it happen?"

Alik stood and shuffled his feet, thinking, `This approach. I hated when Mom did that. How'd she learn so fast?' He tried to hedge a bit more, but Orphen would have none of it.

"I believe you were asked a question."

"Um… yes, sir. I didn't do as I was told. I wasn't supposed to draw the dagger until you said okay." Alik told the floor.

"What else did I say?"

"Oh, man… Do I have to?"

"Yes." Alik reached over to the table and handed Orphen the dagger and its sheath. "Prove to me you can follow instructions, and we'll talk about returning this."

Cleo ducked her head to hide her smile. `Orphen really is doing this well. I guess he's decided to play the father now, instead of the big brother.' She found herself thinking about what a good father he would be and silently prayed she'd be with him for that, too. She had a brief flash of an image of Orphen, with white streaks in his hair, holding a pair of infant boys, with golden blonde hair like hers.

"Now, punishment." Cleo said.

"But, I thought losing the dagger was…"

"No, that was a consequence for your actions. You knew what you were doing and you knew you shouldn't. I remember, I saw it in your eyes when you asked about throwing a dagger. I just didn't catch on then. What happens when you disobey an adult?" Cleo sensed more than actually saw Orphen duck his head to suppress a snort of disbelief at the word `adult' being associated with her.

"You get punished." Alik said with no relish, as he slumped back down on the bed. Cleo noticed that Orphen was now suppressing laughter, and this time, she knew exactly what it was about. If she hadn't known that Alik wasn't paying attention to Orphen at the moment, and that if she did anything in retaliation, she'd bring the focus of the conversation away from where it needed to be, she'd have started in on Orphen. As it was, she had to bite her tongue and silently vow revenge, later.

"Yes, you do, and yours will be to dust the books in the library."

"What?!?" Alik looked up in surprise, `How did they know I hate that chore? I wonder if my usual dodge will work?' Recovering slightly from his surprise, he looked down again and said, "I'm not feeling real good right now. Can I rest first?"

Cleo immediately started checking his forehead to see if he was sick and, when her arm was blocking her view of his face, he smiled slightly, thinking his plan would work. He'd fake them out today and tomorrow, they'd forget.

He forgot that Orphen was in the room, and he saw the glint in the boy's eyes and the slight smile. Orphen was about to accuse him, when Cleo spoke again, "Well, then, if that's so, you'll need to rest in your room and shouldn't leave the house at all. I believe we had a trip to town planned for tomorrow, but if you're too sick…"

"I…um…I'll be better then."

Grinning, Cleo thought, `gotcha' and continued, "Good, then you'll start on the library."

"But…"

Laughing, Orphen realized Cleo hadn't been fooled for a minute either, "Alik, remember what I mentioned about your dagger? It has two edges."

"Yeah…"

"Just like a dagger, every action has a reaction. Every lie has a consequence. If you play sick, true, you might delay your punishment, but you'll miss out on the good stuff, too."

"Awww…man."

"You fooled us once, it won't happen again. So, how are you feeling, really?"

"Fine, sir. When do I have to start?"

"The sooner you start, the sooner it's finished."

"I'll get started now." He got up and sullenly walked out of the room.

As soon as the boy was out of earshot, Orphen let go of the laughter he'd been holding in. He muttered, "Adult! You?" as he started laughing harder.

"He wasn't following your orders either, and I am so an adult!" She shot back, trying not to laugh, trying to remember she wanted revenge for him almost making her laugh in the room. But what she said only served to make Orphen laugh harder.

He added, watching the welcome signs of her fury and humor arriving her in eyes, "And can I have that in writing, about being punished if you don't do as you're told?"

"And just how would you do that Mr. High and Mighty Sorcerer?!?!"

"Misbehave and you'll find out!" Orphen said without thinking, and immediately wanted to take it back. He loved the fire in her eyes that showed she was back to normal, but he knew she was just headstrong enough to do something stupid, just to prove a point.

"Oh…" Cleo said, thinking quickly. She had an idea, but was she forward enough to try it? And, how would he react? But a challenge was a challenge, and there was no other way to interpret that last line. The idea might not be physically risky, but…to her heart. `No. I know I haven't been reading him wrong; he cares. I just wish I could feel this confident when he's not this close.' She screwed up her courage and continued, "What would you consider misbehaving? This?"

She reached up and pulled his head down into a kiss. He felt her tongue touch his lips asking for entry and he gasped, surprised by her forwardness. She used that opportunity to thrust her tongue into his mouth, taking advantage of his surprise to leisurely explore his mouth. After a moment, he began to respond and, just as he was starting to loose himself in the kiss, she pulled away, grinning mischievously.

"Or were you referring to me drinking coffee as misbehaving?" She said, slightly breathless, still with the challenging glint in her eyes. She turned to head out of the room.

"Not so fast!" He said, pulling her into his embrace again. He gathered her close, intending to finish, or at least continue, the kiss she had started. With one hand, he lifted her chin up as his other arm pulled her against him. He felt her arms come up to wrap around his shoulders, as his lips descended on hers. Considering her actions a moment ago, he wasn't' surprised to find them already parted, and her tongue met his eagerly. As they took turns exploring each other's mouths, he dimly realized that they were standing near the open door of the room and, not wanting any interruptions, he kicked back with his foot, closing the door behind them. Their bodies were pressed tightly against one another, but it wasn't enough for him and, acting more on instinct than actual thought, he started pushing them both back to the center of the room, towards the bed. He deepened the kiss even further and allowed the hand that had been on her chin to trail down her neck and descend between them. Suddenly, she was wrenched from his arms, falling on the bed, because she'd tripped on the ball she'd kicked aside earlier. In spite of his arousal and heightened passions, the moment was just too classic. Orphen laughed as he muttered, "Klutz."

Cleo looked up at Orphen and harrumphed in indignation, thinking, `Why does this always happen to me? But, maybe that's a good thing, I-I'm not sure I was ready to continue yet…besides… Oh my god! We're in Alik's room!' Although flushed from the earlier kisses, Cleo still managed to blush further, adding fuel to Orphen's laughter, even as he extended a hand to help her up.

When she'd recovered enough, she hurried to the door, opened it and, just before she exited, she playfully added, "If that's punishment, I can see I'm going to be misbehaving a lot." Closing the door behind her, and she hurried down the stairs to the library.

Orphen followed immediately, opening the door and leaning against the doorframe for a moment, thinking, `I've created a monster.' He knew he was smiling, and suspected it was as goofy as Hartia's were sometimes, after he'd been alone with Mariabella. `Thank goodness he'd made himself scarce, I'd never live that down.' He pushed away from the doorframe and walked downstairs to follow Cleo. When he entered the hall where the library was, he saw her straightening her clothes and running her fingers through her hair before she entered the room. He smirked, thinking of all the ways he could really rumple her appearance, when an unpleasant thought hit him like a bucket of cold water. Some of the doctor's words came back to haunt him, "…no sex …three months. …A pregnancy …dangerous …abstaining …"

Orphen realized he needed to cool off. As far as he was concerned, he and Cleo were engaged, which made the temptation intense to go further than the kisses they'd shared. Oh, sure, he knew how to prevent pregnancy, either by spell or other methods, but it took forethought, and he knew his limits. He wasn't confident enough about his control. The scene upstairs proved to him that once he started...touching her, he might not be able to remember the need to take the necessary measures. Until he was sure, or the risky time was up, he had no intention of continuing past kisses, and he resolved to keep them short after this, since he now knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that she wanted him.

He was about to follow her into the library, but decided he didn't need to tempt fate any further right now, even with Alik as a chaperone. He was heading towards the main door when he stopped. What would she do if she found him gone and didn't know where he was? She'd search for him and not just in the house. `Better tell her where I'm headed first.'

He went in to the library, where Cleo was directing Alik in his new duties. Leki was curled up in a chair, watching. She saw him and smiled. Orphen told her, "I'm headed to the Doctor's to check on Majic and Hartia."

"I figured you would be. The short way?"

"There's a Wolven watching them already, isn't there?"

Suppressing a laugh at how quickly he read her, she just nodded.

"I'll 'port, so you don't try to send another after me when they're supposed to be watching...."

"…all of us." Cleo finished for him.

He glared at Cleo, to inform her that he thought her and Alik's protection was the priority, but remembered the morning after her nightmare, and knew she felt otherwise. Although he tried to deny it, on some level he knew she was right, if Garik got a hold of any of them, he knew she would do anything to get them back, even turn herself over to him. He shuddered at that thought and nodded to her. He started to step back out when he heard her clear her throat.

He looked back at her to realize she was doing that for Alik's attention not his, since Alik had stopped working during the brief discussion. Grinning, he looked at her as she blew him a kiss, made a slight shooing motion and re-focused Alik on his task.

"Towers in Heaven that Dance Around Me" he chanted, and re-appeared outside the doctor's office. He entered, to find the doctor sitting down with Majic and Hartia for a pot of coffee. He heard Majic and Hartia laughing at something the doctor had said as he walked in.

"This is practice?" Orphen said with a snort, knowing full well that this late in the evening, there wouldn't be any patients and they'd just left as an escape. He arrived with the full intention to drag them both back immediately, when Hartia's next words made him reconsider.

"Dr. Hale was regaling us with some very interesting tales from someone's youth." Hartia said, indicating Majic, who was beet red. "His antic's usually included another blonde we know."

"Really?" Orphen said as he joined them at the table, ignoring Majic groans.

"So where was I?" The doctor asked.

"You'd just finished one tale and were about to start another about Cleo." Majic supplied, a little too helpfully.

"No I was not. I may be old, young man, but I'm not senile yet. You just don't want your...um, Masters, to hear about the bikini-top snatching incident."

"Bikini-top snatching?" Hartia said laughing, "I thought you said this was going to be about when Majic and Cleo fell into poison ivy."

"The event is the same and it's the first time they dealt with that particular fun. No, they were up at the local swimming hole, both families. Majic you were what, eight, at the time?"

"Yeah." Majic said sullenly, pouting about the childhood stories being dredged up.

"And Cleo was ten. Young Majic here, was dared to steal Cleo's bathing suit top, since she had her first two-piece bathing suit, just like her elder sister's, I might add. She was very proud of it, since she was in that phase where she mimicked everything her sister did. So ,when Mariabella laid down to sun bathe, so did Cleo, and she even untied the back. That's when Majic struck, and took off into the woods, with her top and her screaming bloody murder after him. It was just bad luck that when she caught him, they tumbled into a patch of poison ivy. You know, I think I have a picture of when they were coated from head to toe in calamine lotion."

"Oh, no." Majic whined, remembering that if Doc didn't have a picture, Tistiny did, and she owed him for some embarrassment over the coffee allergy.

The doctor stood and started shuffling through a couple of files, stopping at one particular name with a chuckle. "While I'm looking for that picture, I remember another bit of trouble you and Miss Cleo got into later that same summer. There was a boy, a family friend of the Everlastings, that visited every summer, what did you and Cleo call him?"

Majic groaned, not wanting to answer, knowing where this story was going.

"Oh, I remember, you two called him 'The Demon Spawn' and went around hunting him and attacked him from trees and just about anything else."

Hartia who'd just taken a sip of coffee, spewed it out in surprise and shock.

"Now, what's that for? I haven't even gotten to the funny part. The boy was about two years older than Cleo, but that didn't stop the dynamic duo. Now, the boy was stuck on Cleo in a major way, and showed it in the way most young boys did. He'd give her things, like lizards, worms, and a snake once, usually down the front of her dress." He paused, because now Orphen was laughing as he pictured how well that went over.

"In revenge for the snake incident, Cleo and Majic set up a rather ingenious revenge on him. I never did get out of you exactly what you used, but they concocted a sort of witches brew and put it into a sort of blueberry tart. Cleo told him she made it, so he eagerly ate it, well, the first couple of bites anyway. The stuff was vile. Whatever they did to the berries caused a reaction in his system that made his skin to turn blue until all the substance worked its way out of his system. As their punishment, they had to eat the rest of the tart and share in the coloring. Ah ha!" The doctor said in triumph as he pulled out two pictures."

He handed the pictures to Hartia, who was closest. The first was of two children in towels covered from head to toe in a red rash with a pick substance coating the rash. The next was of three blonde-haired kids with bluish-purple skin. Cleo stood in the middle, facing away from the blonde they didn't know, with her arms crossed, obviously upset at having to pose for the picture. Majic's face was particularly purple as his blush added red to the mix.

"Can I get a copy of this?" Orphen asked, still holding the poison ivy picture.

"I think I can arrange that."

"Master," Majic whined, knowing Cleo would be after him about this, even if he wasn't the one who told.

"Yes, Majic." Orphen answered, knowing full well what Majic was worried about.

"She's gonna kill me for letting that out."

"Did you?"

"Well, no, but you know she'll blame me."

"Now, why would she do that?" The doctor interrupted. "She knew each time the poison ivy situation happened, it was because of Jared and Mariabella."

Hartia started laughing again, "Each time? You mean it happened more than..." he trailed off as he noticed first Orphen's frown and then the expression on Majic's face as he stood and left the room without a word.

"Damn." The doctor muttered, "I keep forgetting."

Orphen was already moving to follow Majic when he remembered exactly when Majic had paled. It was when the doctor had said Jared. If he wanted to talk to Majic he'd better find out what was up first. He turned back and asked, "Who is Jared?"

"Jared WAS Majic's elder brother."

"What!??!"

"Jared was killed, along with his mother, in a bandit attack just outside town, when Majic was nine. They were returning from a visit to extended family."

"I never knew." Orphen muttered, feeling a little betrayed that Majic had never mentioned anything to him.

"Well...now, you wouldn't, seeing as he never talks about it. Never. Despite repeated attempts to draw him out by Cleo, Tistiny, and me, he's never talked about what happened. He might have opened up to Bagup…but I don't know." Dr. Hale paused, shaking his head, "Anyway, I thought the dynamic duo were close before Jared died, but that was nothing compared to how close they got afterwards. She got him through it, not that it wasn't almost as traumatic for her as it was for him."

"What happened, exactly?" Orphen asked, concerned even more now, because it involved not only Majic but Cleo, too.

"Majic was with his mother and brother when the attack happened, and he was the only survivor. The first people on the scene were Cleo and her father. Cleo knew they were coming home that day, and browbeat her father into taking her out to meet the caravan, even though, Mrs. Lynn had specifically told him not to let anyone meet the caravan. Not much else is known because Majic wouldn't, and still won't, talk about the details, which isn't healthy, I might add. In spite of hunting down the bandits, Mr. Everlasting got very few additional details."

"We never get a damn break." Orphen muttered as he stepped away in search of Majic. To his surprise, he didn't have to go far. Majic was in the waiting room, looking out into the darkening sky, which was now cloudy, with a drizzle beginning. Orphen walked up beside him and simply placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Sorry, Master."

"For what?"

"Not mentioning my brother. I-I just don't like to talk, or even think, about it."

"Even the good times?"

Majic hung his head and whispered, "Even the good times, because right afterward, I see… please, don't ask me any more." Majic said, pleading.

Orphen squeezed Majic's shoulder, "You've heard us all talking about how Cleo and Alik must talk about what happened in the cave, not only for the much needed information, but also for their mental health. Are you different?"

"No… but it was a long time ago, and I've gotten over it."

"People don't just get over something like that, and you know it. And you haven't healed, either. Otherwise you would be able to talk about it, good and bad. That's precisely why we want Cleo and Alik to talk about what happened to them. I'll listen if you want to try…or Cleo?"

"I-I… I'll try to talk to Cleo tomorrow. I just… I'm sorry, Master."

"It's all right Majic. And Cleo's still up, slave driving Alik while he cleans the library."

Majic eyes widened in surprise, and he giggled slightly, "Oh…she always hated that chore… and Alik is …well… even unrelated, he's exactly like she was at that age. I'm surprised she inflicted that on him, but I know for a fact, that if the library was dirty, she'd think twice before getting into mischief," Majic thought for a second before adding, "and dragging me along."

"That's very true, but the change of subject didn't work." Orphen paused when he saw Majic grimace, "Why do I keep having to repeat myself with you two lately?" Orphen muttered in an exasperated tone, before continuing more gently, "If you don't want to talk to me, you should still talk with Cleo, tonight. Did you even stop to think that everything that's happened recently, might be making an old trauma worse?"

Majic looked shocked, thinking frantically, `No… I don't want to think about it, I can't. I can't. The dreams and everything can't be related to that! I told myself I got over it and I am. I am. As Dad said, sometimes it's just fated and all we can do is accept it. I did and I moved on.'

"Besides, think of the example you'd set for her." Orphen said quietly, inserting a good bit of humor in his tone, even though he didn't miss the shudder, which was going through Majic's shoulders.

"I-I I need to think, Master. Please." Majic said, almost begging.

Orphen examined Majic's face before nodding slightly, "Don't go far and let the Wolven know where you are. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes if she found out you didn't."

Grinning slightly, Majic said, "The same could be said for you."

Orphen reached up and scratched the back of his head, noticing something behind Majic. "Yeah…I guess you're right. Considering the brat just sent someone after me." Leki's howl was heard just outside the doctor's door and Orphen let him in. He picked the pup up and plopped him on Majic's shoulder, muttering, "Meet your new assignment, Leki."

Looking apologetic, Majic slipped out into the evening with the Wolven pup perched more like a bird than a dog on his shoulder.

Hartia had observed the last portion of the conversation and, once Majic was out of earshot, commented, "Dr. Hale suggested if you want additional details, to check with Tistiny or Cleo. If Bagup talks at all, he wouldn't give you any information you want." Hartia paused watching Orphen closely. "However, since I know you, you're going to see Bagup anyway. I'll go up to the house to watch over things there. Let me know what you find out." Hartia said as Orphen exited the doctor's office.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Approximately thirty minutes later, Orphen was coming back up the walk to the Everlasting mansion. He was cursing steadily under his breath. "Damned insensitive… hard-hearted… `It's fated' bullshit… How in the hell is he related to Majic? I know what I'm like, but… him… jeez, he's worse." Orphen paused on the porch before he entered. He thought, `And, to be perfectly honest, I've changed and… I don't want to go back. Someday I'll have to thank them, my blonde-haired…angels. But not today.'

When Orphen entered, shaking the rainwater out of his hair, he saw a subdued Hartia carrying Mariabella, who appeared to be crying, upstairs to her room. He heard Hartia say reassuringly, "Cleo's upstairs and we'll get you settled…."

"No…She needs to find Majic…she's the only one who…"

"Then I'll get you settled, and Cleo will go with a Wolven to find Majic." That was the last coherent thing Orphen heard from Hartia, the rest was just soothing phrases.

Orphen was starting to follow Hartia upstairs when Tistiny blocked his path. She also looked upset but was more composed than Mariabella. Tistiny gestured to Orphen to enter the study where they'd spoken earlier. Mentally, he added asking about Mariabella to his list of questions.

As if anticipating his question, Tistiny opened the conversation with, "Mariabella will be fine, she was upset because of some of the old memories that got dredged up. She and Jared were close."

"How close?"

"Engaged close. Now, what exactly did that gossip… I mean, Doctor Hale tell you."

"Not much." Orphen replied in frustration. He was the one who was supposed to be asking the questions.

"I suspect you just got back from talking to…or trying to get, Bagup to talk. You apparently thought the same thing I did, if Majic would talk to anyone, it would be his father, but neither of them will talk about the events of that day, and everyone's tried, including me. No one knows what if anything, Majic has said about it. I don't know all the details. My husband knew a little more, but even he was extremely tight-lipped about the specifics. He said it was bandits and that he took care of them. Cleo remembers quite a bit about what they saw, it traumatized her, but she shifted her focus away from the actual events very quickly, in her… quest to make Majic feel better. She talked about it, a lot, so I don't think it's as much a problem for her, unlike Majic and Mariabella."

Orphen was about to ask Tistiny another question, when they both heard someone stomping down the stairs. Orphen turned to the noise as he heard Tistiny say, "I figured she'd be heading out momentarily, to drag Majic down from his usual brooding place."

"Majic doesn't brood."

"Normally, he doesn't…about this he does. She'll roust him out of it. If you want to go with her, you'd better hurry."

Orphen left the study and met Cleo at the bottom of the stairs. He heard the last of her tirade. "It's raining, damn it! I swear, if I break anything this time… I'm gonna club him with the cast after he puts it on me… Stupid, insensitive, interfering… doctor!"

"Don't forget meddling." He said, as he fell in step next to her.

She looked up at him, startled, "Yeah…meddling, too…Oh, hi…of course, you were at Doc Hale's, too. Thanks for at least giving him Leki. Where were you… with him?"

"No. I was trying to get some answers out of Bagup."

"I could have told you that was a waste of time."

"True, but I needed to try. So…what happened?"

Cleo sighed, she really didn't want to talk about it again, but she also knew Orphen needed to know. It was quite obvious he was worried about Majic and, if she read him right, a little upset with both of them for not ever mentioning Majic's brother. "I'd better give you some background and then the story…but… can we walk while…" She paused as he put his hands in his pockets and off-handedly offered his elbow for her to grasp. She grinned; it was something that was so him. He wouldn't openly hold her hand, but it was okay for her to cling to him. "…we head for the tavern?" She trailed off, finishing her question, even though it was obvious to both of them that was what they were doing.

"So…" He said leadingly after they stepped outside the mansion. He saw the glint of a Wolven's eyes approaching as they stepped away from the house. Cleo had thought to grab an umbrella from the stand by the door and opened it, shielding them from the slow rain.

"What?"

"What happened? And for that matter why the tavern? Where is Majic?"

"Majic's usual spot has always been the roof of the tavern." She paused and had a faraway look in her eyes. "He's definitely on the roof, damn it. You know how I hate heights. And what is it with you sorcerers always perching at great heights to brood or arrive? With Majic, it's the roof of the tavern and, you, it's the Tower in the lake and, Shrimpy, well, he takes his bull with him, too, but he's a roof sorcerer also."

"It has lot to do with privacy and not being surprised while you're thinking …that, and roofs are good for arriving via teleport since people aren't usually standing or walking on most roofs."

"Oh…well, I guess that makes sense…but it sounds like you just made that up."

Orphen gave her a look that said volumes, `That's for me to know and you not to find out.'

She grinned and laughed at the smug look on his face. "So, what have you found out so far?"

"Practically nothing!" Orphen said exasperated. "Bagup flat out wouldn't talk about it. The doc and your mother only know the basics. That there was an attack on their caravan, that Majic was the only survivor, and that you and your father were the first on the scene."

"I forgot. Dad didn't want us to talk about it to others while he was tracking the bandits…and after that…well…people really weren't gossiping about it much anymore, mainly to help Majic. He-he took it so hard. They…er…we…were really close." Cleo's eyes got sad as she remembered what Majic had been like for the weeks and months after. She remembered crying for her friend and the fact that he wasn't the same, as well as for the loss of Jared and his mother.

Orphen glanced around and saw that they were alone, except for the Wolven tracking them, and stopped walking to wrap his arms around her. "Like you and Majic are?"

"Closer. He was devastated afterwards and it was worse for him, because he-he was there."

"So…what happened? What do you remember?" Orphen asked as he released her and started them walking towards town again.

"I-I well…Let me start with where they were. They'd gone to visit extended family a couple of villages away. They were only gone a week, but …well, at eleven, that seems like an eternity. Especially since I had some gossip to share with Majic. It's funny, I don't even remember what it was now, but I remember I had to tell Majic since I'd been waiting for the chance since two days after they left. Now, this was something of a tradition, whenever either Majic or I went out of Totokonta with our respective families, the one left behind would meet the caravan on the hill north of town. Bagup usually took me…but this time…he-he wouldn't. So, I…well… I browbeat my dad into taking me."

"And that's supposed to surprise me, how?" Orphen interjected to lighten the mood since he suspected worse was to come. She gave him a light tap on the shoulder.

"You want to hear this or not?" He nodded and offered her his elbow again. She took his arm again and continued, "I found out later that Mrs. Lynn told our dads not to have anyone meet the caravan. Sometimes, I wonder if she was right, but… I also know it was good there was very little delay. Um…back to what happened. My dad and I got up to the hill and couldn't see the caravan. Then I noticed smoke…along the road…along the path I knew the caravan would come. I think Dad told me to go back to town, but I didn't hear him…I saw the smoke and started running. Running to the smoke…running to find Majic."

"Running away from your father and into trouble. Good grief, Cleo, do you ever think?" Orphen said, thinking of what could have happened to her if the bandits had still been there.

"I was thinking, I-I was thinking about Majic…and Jared and Mrs. Lynn. Besides, my dad was right behind me." Cleo thought, `Actually, he was quite a bit behind me but I'm not telling him that.' She shuddered as she remembered what she had seen. "As I was running up…I saw different flashes of light…um…now that I think about it…it was kinda like the light you give off when you cast. But anyway, when I arrived at the scene, …God, Orphen it was horrible, there's no other word for it other than slaughter. I-I never knew bandits could be so vicious. Dad told me later they must have had dogs or wolves with them, too. I-I found Mrs. Lynn first, and then Jared… and I started screaming…I-I couldn't stop. I vaguely remember Dad grabbing me and calling my name as he pulled me away from them… I cried out Majic's name…and…he answered. He'd been hiding in an empty water barrel. Dad pushed me to the ground as he drew his sword and dagger. I…um, got up and I ran to Majic."

Orphen rolled his eyes, apparently even her father hadn't had any luck keeping her down during fights. He also found himself wishing he'd been there to protect them, even though he realized he would only have be about fifteen and probably dealing with his own tragedy, considering that was around the time when… `Oh, shit! No…oh, please, no. It couldn't have been…'

"Dad seemed to hear or see something that told him there was still danger because he ordered us to go back to town. When we didn't react fast enough for him, he picked us up and ran back to town."

Cleo was looking away when she finished and didn't notice that Orphen had gone pale, "Cleo…when did this happen?"

"The summer after I turned eleven…just before school started in August. Why?"

Orphen hesitated before asking, "I know this may be hard…but can you describe exactly what you saw?"

"Please, Orphen, I-I don't like to think about it. I mean they were…all torn up and burnt. It was horrific. Dad told me later that there were animals involved with the attack and later, Majic…" Cleo looked towards town, "Majic said something that never did make sense…only when he was asleep, mind you…but he mentioned roars and explosions. I figure it was his mind playing tricks on him in the dark."

Orphen nodded, silently digesting the horrible fact that he was right. He'd known she went on a rampage when it happened; the old man wouldn't let him avoid that fact…but he never expected it to hit so close to home. `How can I tell them? It was Azalie. I need to tell them, but I-I can't. I…great, I need advice. Hartia, it looks like you're going to be in for a long night again.'

They walked in silence for a while. Cleo realized something was bothering Orphen. `Duh…of course something's bothering him. Majic. Sometimes, I wonder about them.' Out loud, she asked, "How are you about this?"

"What do you mean?" Orphen replied bracing himself for the worst, `She didn't figure out…did she?'

"I mean you just found out that Majic had an older brother he never talks about. It-it had to be a surprise."

"It's just a bit of a shock."

Cleo moved slightly in front of Orphen and stopped, looking up into his eyes, "I-I just wanted to let you know that he…if he could talk about it…he would have told you. I probably should have mentioned it, but I ...know how you get when we bring up personal stuff. I also, didn't want to upset Majic. I know you helped him a lot…you got him to leave Totokonta…afterwards…he vowed he'd never leave town, and he didn't want me to leave either…" In a whisper Orphen almost didn't hear, she added, "Although that choice ended up out of our hands."

"I'm beginning to realize, that I only thought I knew you and Majic. It's good to learn more…more that I should have asked about long ago."

"It's not like we're going anywhere."

"That's good to know. Let's go retrieve my wayward apprentice." Orphen said as they entered the tavern. Cleo closed the umbrella, leaving it by the door and they started up the stairs.

Orphen looked questioningly at Cleo, "If he's on the roof, why leave the umbrella here, it's still raining?"

"It's a long story and… well…" Cleo paused biting her lip slightly, thinking quickly, `I'm not going to tell on Majic about what happened last time, but how…oh…the klutz attacks.' She continued out loud, "I'd rather keep both hands free for balance."

Orphen nodded, accepting the answer and thinking, `As if I'd let you fall, but you're going into a hot bath as soon as we get home for this stunt.'

A pair of violet eyes narrowed as Nerilissa watched Orphen and Cleo walk up stairs. `So what brings Miss Goody Two-shoes to the tavern at this hour?' She turned towards the tavern entrance where a new customer, a gentleman with black hair and green eyes, wearing black leather pants and a grey T-shirt had settled on a bench just outside the door, under the awning.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When they got to the top of the stairs, Cleo turned to Orphen, "Let me go talk to him first. He-he… can be very different. It's like he's not himself. I got good at bringing him around but distractions…didn't help."

"You're only getting to do this because Leki's up there already."

"I know." Cleo said, thinking, `Even if Leki wasn't, I know even you couldn't have stopped me. I've been the only one who could reach him when he gets like this. In spite of that, I know Orphen. He won't wait long. I'd better drag Majic off the roof first …then get him to talk, instead of the other way around, like usual.'

She stepped out onto the roof, Orphen right at her heels. She scanned the roof and caught sight of Leki. `Yep… Majic's in his usual spot, by the chimney. At least he picks a warm spot.' She shivered slightly, just before she felt something warm cover her shoulders. She looked back at Orphen, who was looking away after he'd draped his jacket over her shoulders.

She looked at the roof, now slick with water from the steady rain. She carefully walked out onto the sloped roof towards the chimney, where Majic was sitting, curled up like a ball, with his knees against his chest and his arms wrapped around his shins.

He knew she was approaching and knew what she was going to say…what she said each time he let the events of that day get to him. He both wanted to hear her, to be distracted from the self-loathing he felt for living when they died, and didn't want to hear her. She didn't push like everyone else to make him talk, she was always quiet…he scoffed to himself…Cleo Everlasting quiet, but she was…and he guessed it was what he needed. She was the only one he wouldn't immediately be shouting at to leave when they arrived on the roof, because he'd learned …shouting at her only made her dig her heels in more. They stayed up there for three days one time, it took a rain storm to finally make the decision for them and then they had a staring match until he finally laughed in spite of himself, although her making goofy faces hadn't helped much.

Leki crooned in greeting and it dawned on him why Cleo was here so quickly. "Traitor." He whispered to the pup. He glanced her way and watched her as she carefully made her way over to him. He saw that Cleo was wearing Orphen's jacket, telling him in no uncertain terms who else was waiting. Bad enough she ends up witnessing these sessions, but she had to drag him along. `Her I expected, I could handle. Him, I can't face him, yet.'

"What are you doing here, Cleo?"

"The same as always."

"Go away."

"You know I won't. Do we have to do this?" She said as she sat down next to him. "So, how long are we going to be up here this time?"

"I came up here to think, alone."

"No, you came up here to brood. So you've done your best Orphen imitation and it's time go inside."

"Don't you usually try to get me to talk first?" Majic snapped harshly.

"Well…between you and me, it's cold, wet and you already know who else is nearby. Do you think he'll wait for long? Maybe instead of me drinking the coffee and making faces…we can get him to."

"No dice, Cleo. I…just leave me alone. It won't work this time."

"Hmmm….don't make me do it."

"Do what?"

"Fight dirty."

"That's no surprise, you're just threatening to get Orphen to do your work for you."

"You know I wouldn't do that! But listen." They both could hear foot steps by the stairs of the roof, Orphen was pacing. "It won't take long before he comes over and drags us both down, like my dad used to. By fighting dirty, I was meaning to remind you of something."

Majic groaned, she was right, that was fighting dirty. As he absently scratched Leki's ears, he thought about how he'd never forget what happened the last time he'd come out here to think, after some of the village boys had taunted him about being a coward who was afraid of the dark. It had been raining, like tonight, so the roof was really slick. He'd even almost slipped coming out to his spot. She followed about an hour later and tried to encourage him to talk. He never could. It wasn't that he didn't want to, but he could never come up with the words. Their usual pattern was that, he'd mope, she'd follow, get him to talk a bit and they'd come back down. The last time, he'd resisted talking, so they sat in the rain for a very long time. He'd been really angry at what the others had said and he took it out on her. When she said she was going to get blankets and soup, he lashed out, yelling `don't bother' and startled her. She slipped and rolled down the roof. Fortunately, she fell on the side of the tavern that had the kitchen extension, which was only one story. She caught the edge of the roof, and hung there as he hurried to try to grab her before she fell, only to end up watching her lose her grip, fall to the kitchen roof and roll off…into the trash. It would have been hilarious, if she hadn't broken her arm and sprained her ankle in the whole mess. Afterwards, she'd made him promise not to go up there anymore.

"That is playing dirty. Well, our usual pattern is that you get me to talk… " He paused a moment as a thought occurred to him about how to get rid of her. "What's wrong, Cleo? Aren't you going to tell me to talk about it, or are you afraid I'll turn that around on you!?!" Majic shouted as he let his emotions overwhelm him.

"What!?!?" She said shocked, standing up and stepping back.

"You started this playing dirty. You know what I mean. You want my story…tell me yours!"

"I-I…no, Majic…that's not fair!" she choked out, and Majic realized he'd gone to far. He was getting up to comfort her, a real switch with these sessions, when another voice rang out.

"She'll talk when she's ready. You'll talk when you're ready. But let's get off the damn roof, now."

Before he really thought about it, Majic muttered, "Thanks a lot, Cleo."

Cleo looked away from Majic and Orphen. She hurried to the stairs back into the tavern, whispering over her shoulder, "It-it wasn't intentional…" She ran down the stairs and Leki left Majic's side to run after her.

"Damn it." Majic muttered.

"It's your mess. You clean it up." Orphen said, stepping out of Majic way, indicating he should follow her.

"I know." Majic sighed as he sullenly started to follow her. "I guess she still succeeded at getting me off the roof."

Majic wasn't looking up when he collided with something, heard Orphen hiss in surprise and felt himself forcefully yanked back against Orphen. He looked up and saw a huge gray figure with red eyes standing before him.

They heard him chuckle. "I thought I should thank you first before I went to track down my prize. You made it all to easy." With that, Garik spread his wings and took to the air.

"No… You bastard!" Majic yelled, about to power up a spell.

"Focus, Majic. We've got to catch up to Cleo first. Downstairs, the fast way. `Towers in Heaven that Dance Around Me.'"

"Away." Majic echoed and they both appeared just inside the tavern, in time to see Cleo collide with Nerilissa, dumping the tray of stew and ale all over the waitress in her haste to get back upstairs. Majic nearly fainted from relief that she hadn't run away and into Garik's trap.

Orphen exchanged a glance with the Wolven, Polikapi, who was standing alert by the door to the tavern, and then Orphen addressed Majic. "Follow her. I'll go back to the roof. `Towers of Heaven that Dance Around Me.'" Orphen said, thinking `Thank God! Good job, Cleo! You thought for once. When you ran off, you didn't leave the tavern and apparently went in search of us when you sensed Garik.'

Majic, mirroring Orphen's thoughts, muttered, "Good girl, Cleo," while he hurried across the room to follow Cleo upstairs.

To Majic's back, as he vanished up the stairs, Nerilissa shrieked. "'Good girl, Cleo!!!' The bitch nearly knocked me down on her first headlong flight and on the second, she dumped ale and stew all over me, and you say `good girl'. Oh…I hate that bitch. I wish she'd stayed dead. I'm going to make her regret this, no matter what!"

From behind Nerilissa, she heard a voice, "You don't sound like you're having a good evening, but I have a proposal, if you can take a break to hear me out." The familiar blonde-haired man, who she was bringing the stew out for, had been a frequent visitor in the last few months.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Cleo was frantically running up the stairs, fearing the worst. Garik was here and Orphen and Majic were vulnerable on the roof. `Please let them be all right! Please let them be all right!' she was chanting in her head as she rounded the corner in the hall, heading for the stairs to the roof. She got about four steps up on the second flight before she collided with a solid object and lost her balance. She fell ungracefully backwards, wrenching her ankle and sprawling on top of Majic, who'd been right behind her. Leki managed to leap aside, avoiding both falling bodies.

As she looked up, she saw that she'd collided with Orphen. His hands were outstretched like he'd tried to grab her but missed, however, she didn't understand how Majic had ended up behind her.

From the end of the hall came a deep chuckle, "I thought you two gave up wrestling on the stairs a long time ago."

Cleo missed Bagup's comment as she spluttered at Majic. "Damn it, Majic! Why is it that every time you go on the roof for one of your sessions, I end up with a sprained ankle?!?!?"

Majic realized that, even though she'd landed mostly on top of him, her leg had twisted in a manner so that he ended up sitting on her ankle. He quickly got up and was about to help her to her feet, when Orphen swept her up into his arms, bridal style. Blushing, she ducked her head and asked, "Are you two all right? I felt…"

"Him. Yes, we're fine. He appears to be a `roof sorcerer', as you put it, too. He arrived, taunted us, and went off in search of you, since he believed Majic had chased you off."

"Oh…I-I just went downstairs to wait with Polikapi. I figured you'd …tan my hide if I ran off."

"You figured right, but that isn't an issue. You didn't leave." Orphen nodded towards Bagup, "Hello, again."

"Good to see you all. Is there anything I can help with?" Bagup answered, unflappable and unreadable as usual.

"Maybe ice?" Majic said since he'd moved around to look at Cleo's ankle and was poking it gently. "Or should I just heal it, Master?"

"When we get back. I don't want to waste any magic with him in the vicinity. Ice would be a good idea, though."

"I'll get a pack started and something to secure it to her foot." Bagup turned and headed downstairs.

Majic sighed as he watched his father walk away. He didn't understand his dad, how he could just accept things as them came. He realized that was one of the big things that had changed in him during the time he traveled with Orphen and Cleo. He didn't just accept things anymore. He saw that change could be made if you worked hard enough. It made him resolve that when he had his upsetting dreams, he'd do everything in his power to change things if he didn't like the results.

They walked downstairs and waited in the main room for Bagup to return with the ice. When they arrived back in the common room, Neri was conversing with a patron. She finished with him quickly and approached the trio.

She grimaced, since as much as she wanted to blast Miss Goody Two-shoes, she knew this probably wasn't the time, especially since she still intended to lure Orphen away from her. In a sickeningly sweet voice, she exclaimed, "Goodness, what happened, Orphen?"

Orphen felt Cleo tense when Neri approached them. "Just a little accident. Thank you for your concern."

Bagup followed Nerilissa's arrival almost immediately. He handed the ice pack to Majic, who secured it around Cleo's ankle. Bagup then addressed Neri as he handed her a tray with a bowl of stew and mug of ale on it, "There is another new customer and you still need to deliver this. Go take care of them."

Nerilissa muttered to herself as she sauntered over to the customer she'd been speaking with earlier, delivered his stew and took the new patron's meal order, glaring daggers at Cleo the whole time.

"Let's get back to the house." Orphen said as he stepped out the tavern door, still holding Cleo, to stand under the awning, with Majic and Polikapi on either side of him and Cleo.

Just before Orphen stepped out into the rain, Cleo covered her ears wincing, "Watch out, he's close again… and angry…very angry."

"Of course he is," Orphen replied. "He taunted us that he was going to catch you because you ran off, only for once, you didn't. So we thwarted his plans."

"And I know how you get when your plans go awry. I guess that's something you have in common."

Orphen thought, `That's not all we have in common. We both want you…badly. However, I really don't want to be compared to that vile monster.'

"Ha ha …very funny." Orphen sneered aloud. "Let's get back to the house, quickly. It's too open out here. And besides, we have a lot to talk about. The sooner we talk," Orphen sent a meaningful glance at Majic, "the sooner we can get some sleep."

"Oh my God! Alik!" Cleo cried as she remembered who else would feel Garik's presence and anger. "How could I have forgotten?!?"

"Take it easy. Let's just hurry home." Orphen said as he stepped out from under the tavern's awning tavern, carrying Cleo, with Majic right behind.

Orphen stopped when he nearly collided with the back leg of Polikapi, in his full-sized Wolven form. He was wondering what that meant when Cleo spoke, "He says get on. He can carry us back to the house."

The Wolven laid down to allow them to climb on and, once all three were situated, with Cleo between Orphen and Majic, Polikapi took off at a full sprint. The near fifteen-minute walk out to the mansion was completed almost before they realized they were moving.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sure enough, when they arrived back at the mansion… Alik was in the entryway, frantically calling for Cleo. Hartia was trying to reassure the boy and restraining him from running outside. When Alik saw her being held by Orphen, he flung himself at them.

Orphen released Cleo's legs and moved her so she was standing right in front of him, most of her weight resting on him, when Alik jumped into her arms. She was whispering calming phrases to him, assuring him she was all right, that Garik never got near her and that he was angry because he hadn't found them.

Once she had her balance, hugging Alik, Orphen crouched behind her and chanted the healing spell, repairing her ankle. He moved around Cleo to capture Alik's attention and add his own reassurances. Once the boy looked at him, Orphen said, "Who was she with? And what did I promise you?"

"Oh… That's right…I shouldn't have worried, but I-I get scared when I-I can hear or feel things, but can't see what's going on. I'm-I'm sorry, I'm such a crybaby."

Cleo inhaled sharply as Alik's words triggered a memory of some of Majic's words…

//Flashback//

When she woke up in Doctor Hale's office after the roof disaster, Majic was there and more then ready to talk. After a few whispered apologizes and her question about what happened, he said, "They were teasing me about my fear of the dark. But I can't help it…in the dark …I-I can hear or feel things, but I can't see what's going on. I-I've lived that… I'm sorry. I'm such a crybaby. How do you put up with me?"

//End Flashback//

Cleo looked first at Alik and then at Majic, "Alik, it's going to be okay. We all kept each other safe and we'll continue to do so. And I got to try something tonight that you've been doing for a while.

"Really, what?"

"We rode on a Wolven."

"I'll bet it was Polikapi, he likes to give rides."

"It was." Cleo said, turning to include Majic before she continued, "Now, it's pretty late and you need to get back to bed. I'm going to say my good nights here, because Majic is going to tuck you in tonight."

Majic looked at Cleo, shocked, but saw the look in her eyes. She was up to something and he didn't think he was going to like it one bit.

"He has a story to tell you, because you two have a lot in common. Including a fear of the dark."

`Oh, no…this is worse then her trying to get me to talk, she wants me to tell Alik…oh…wait…he's afraid of the dark…and she said we had a lot in common. He clings to Cleo, almost as much as I did afterwards. Oh my God! The scars… Alik heard that in the dark. Damn you, Cleo! But you're right, telling him will validate his feelings.'

Majic glared at Cleo as she was saying good night to Alik. She saw the glare and smiled weakly. She knew it was a dirty trick to pull on Majic, but she also knew it would help them both. Although she wanted to be the one to hear when Alik talked about the time in the cave, she realized that this might form an important bond between Alik and Majic.

Alik and Majic went upstairs to Alik's room and, as soon as the door shut, Cleo hung her head and whispered, "I hope I did the right thing."

Tistiny, who'd been watching the scene, embraced her daughter. "Yes, Dear, I think you are absolutely correct. Being strong for Alik might be just the thing to help Majic break through his memories. Now…let's get you out of those wet things, into a bath and I'll get some tea for everyone."

Orphen sneezed as Tistiny walked upstairs with Cleo and turned to Hartia. "We need to talk."

"About what now?" Hartia asked as he followed Orphen, who was heading for the study.

Before Orphen could answer, Cleo cried out, "Sorry, Mom." They saw her run to Alik's room, just as the boy came running out. She immediately understood his worry and reassured him, "He's just angry still. We're all here, we're all safe. The Wolven are protecting us and see… Orphen's down there with Shimpy…you think they're going to let anything happen to us?"

"I know he won't …but can-can you stay with me `n Majic? Till we're sure he's gone?"

"Of course. But I need to get changed first and so does Majic. I'll be there in a few minutes." Cleo sent Alik back into his room and looked down at Orphen. She wrung out her shirt slightly and pointed at him.

He nodded, receiving the message. He needed to get changed and dry, too. He started to go upstairs when he looked back at Hartia. He realized that Majic and Cleo would be occupied for a while and this would be a perfect opportunity to talk to Hartia. Sighing, he turned around and went back towards the study, with Hartia following mutely.

"What's wrong, Krylancelo? What did you find out about Jared from Majic? And what set Garik off?"

"From Majic? Nothing. From Cleo? More than I ever wanted to know. What did Tistiny and Mariabella tell you?" Orphen asked as he went to the bookshelf that held the after dinner liquors and some whiskey. He poured two shots of whiskey and turned back to Hartia.

Hartia raised his eyebrows, the question obvious in his eyes. He accepted his class wordlessly, but didn't drink. "Just the bare basics. They were killed in a bandit attack and Cleo and her father were first on the scene. Basically, what we got at the doctor's. I take it you found out more from Bagup or Cleo?"

"Bagup was useless. How that man is Majic's father I'll never comprehend. Cleo, on the other hand," Orphen paused looking at the glass in his hand, but not drinking it yet, "proved to be a veritable well of information. A well I would have preferred to have found dry."

"Cleo talked about it, but Majic won't. Right now, that's a switch." Hartia looked first at his glass then at Orphen's, wondering why he felt the need for a drink. The first and last time Hartia had ever seen Orphen drink was after they thought they'd lost Cleo. What could be so bad about this? Even Mariabella, though upset, seemed to accept the attack as just a horrible, horrific tragedy that still happens all too frequently. "But Mariabella seemed…"

Gruffly, Orphen cut Hartia off, "That's because she doesn't know what really…." Orphen stopped and swallowed the shot of whiskey in one gulp. "God, I hope I'm wrong."

Hartia watched Orphen, extremely worried and more than a little confused. "Explain yourself, Krylancelo."

Orphen walked up to Hartia and said, "Sit down."

Hartia sat, giving Orphen a look that said he'd better get to the point quickly. "I'm looking for confirmation, damn it. I'm praying I'm wrong. How much can you tell me about the aftermath of Azalie's transformation?"

"That's ancient history, why bring that up?"

"You were at the tower, you heard what happened afterwards. She went on a rampage. Where was she stopped?"

"Krylancelo, I was seventeen, and even as Childman's apprentice, I wasn't told everything about that whole sequence of events. That was tightly sealed. Why?"

"Majic's mother and brother were killed in a brutal, bloody attack, just before school started. August. Cleo remembered seeing flashes of light …flashes of light she now recognizes as the colors of sorcery. I want you to tell me I'm guessing wrong."

Hartia downed the shot, and then tried to speak, but nothing came out. Hartia pounded his hand on his chest a few times. "You're going to start laughing now, right? Tell me this is an elaborate joke. Tell me you don't think that the Bloody August attacked that caravan and is responsible for the death of Majic's mother and brother."

"Why the hell do you think I'm this upset?" Orphen said as he smashed his fist, still holding the glass, against the table, shattering it in his hand. "Majic was there, Cleo was there. I could have lost them… lost them before I even knew what… I'm not stupid, even if I might claim otherwise, I do know the truth. If it hadn't been for them, I never would have saved Aza…" Orphen froze, dropping the remains of the glass to the carpet.

"Krylancelo…what's wrong?" Hartia asked, realizing after he finished that there was extra light coming in from the hall. Someone was at the door. `Anyone but Mariabella, Majic, or Cleo, or Alik, or …oh ...hell…let it have just been the wind.'

Orphen didn't even acknowledge Hartia's quiet question, his gaze was so riveted to the door. Hartia turned, following Orphen's shocked gaze, as he found his voice, "How…how long?"

"Long enough." Tistiny replied, holding tightly to the tray, which held a towel, two cups of hot tea and a coffee pot. "You've been out in the rain, dry off, and drink the tea. I've already sent a tray up to Majic and Cleo."

"It's not confirmed. It's just a guess."

"By your reactions, you're pretty damn sure. And it would explain the secrecy around the attack. It actually makes sense and it explains my husband's reactions." The slight shaking of the tray belied her calm words.

"I'm sorry….sorry I wasn't there to stop it." Orphen said, putting his hands over hers, taking the tray from her and putting it on the table.

Tistiny looked at Orphen and smiled gratefully at his offer, but also seeing the raw pain in his eyes, "You were, what? Fifteen, at the time and grieving for the loss of your own sister. There is little you could have done had you known. Besides, from what you have mentioned over the years, your sister was …not herself and really can't be held responsible for those actions when she wasn't in control. That was not your sister."

Orphen looked at Tistiny, grateful for the absolution.

"I have a hard question for you though." Tistiny stated.

Sighing, Orphen answered before she asked it. "I know, do I tell them?"

"And her?" Hartia added, wincing, knowing how much that would hurt Azalie. It was one thing for her to have vague memories and nightmares of destruction, however, it was quite another to be able to put names and faces to the victims or the survivors.

Orphen visibly flinched when Hartia added Azalie to the list, realizing how hard this news would be for her. His thoughts mirrored Hartia's as he sat down and drank the tea in a gulp, barely noticing the heat.

Tistiny came up between both young men and placed a hand on each of their shoulders, "I have faith in you both. You'll handle the situation correctly and you'll tell them what they need to know when the time is right." Tistiny noticed that Orphen's shirt was still wet, but turned to leave with one last parting remark, "Orphen, Majic and Cleo have already changed and had their tea; you really need to change, as well. While you're at it …be sure to fix your hand, unless you want to have to explain that to Cleo."

Orphen lifted his hand, surprised to see the blood, and cast the healing spell to repair it.

"How in the hell do I tell them?"

"I don't know, but… I think we need to talk about the timing and who we go to first. After you get changed, like she advised."

"I'll take care of that later. This is too circumstantial. I want rock solid proof first. And that will only be available at the Tower."

"Do you want me to go do the research?"

"No, you're needed here. We'll be going there in a few weeks, and if we changed plans, we'd arouse suspicions in them, or our enemy."

Orphen shivered slightly and looked over at Hartia, "You know who's advice I could use right about now?" Hartia nodded as Orphen continued, "Master Childman's." After that, he refilled the tea cup with coffee from the pot Tistiny had included. He took a sip savoring the warmth and taste.

Hartia said, "As welcoming as that coffee smells, if we're really going to try to go to the damn cave again tomorrow, I'd better get to bed and so should you. Or are we putting that off?"

"We can't…" Orphen muttered, taking one last sip before putting the cup down, "I…" Orphen started and saw Hartia's glare, "We need our rest. We can't let anything happen to them."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Okay what did you think? I turned up the heat for a bit in Orphen and Cleo's relationship. Also just in case there are those who don't know, Jared Lynn is an original character. To my knowledge, in the series/manga/novels, Majic did not have a sibling.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedules to read my story. If you include your E-mail or sign-in under your profile, I do respond personally. Since, I still have a few anonymous reviewers, I'm doing a general thank you for each of you who reviewed since I posted chapter 10 (Cristina, deivlgirl, falcony32.)